Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-03-2007, 10:08 PM   #101
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

After receiving my first big order of comics last Friday, well let's just say I'm having tons of fun these days.

That order had something like 15 comics of new starting series to bring me up to speed on the stuff I'm now subscribing to.

So far I've only read these:

Omega Flight #1, I agree with WVUFAN, that first one sure got more the feel of an ongoing than of something that will end in 5 issues. Either that, or they'll work it to a climax in #5. I liked it though.

Mighty Avengers #1 & #2: nice stuff and yeah, Cho knows how to draw a woman, woah...

NewUniversal #1: interesting stuff, very interesting (but one could say I find everything interesting these days, heh ). Started on issue #2 last night, got issues up to #5 to read.

The other stuff I received in that shipment includes Immortal Iron Fist #1-2 (still looking for #3-4), Welcome to Tranquility #1-5, and Sam Noir: Ronin Holiday #1-3. I also received the first Ex Machina TPB that I'm reading during lunch and coffee breaks at work, very good stuff there too, and also the first Y: The Last Man TPB that I will read after.

Funny thing, I discovered about a month ago that my frequent flyer miles that I never use could be redeemed for an indigo $50 gift card. That led to me ordering Hellblazer's Dangerous Habits TPB, the first Ultimate Spider-Man HC (very nice book!) and the first TPB of one other thing I discovered while looking for samurai/martial arts stuff, Usagi Yojimbo. Read that one last week and what a fun read it was. Nothing super intense, kinda lighthearted, but very well done, staying on track with the code of honor of 17th century samurais in feudal Japan. I will definitely get more of the Rabbit Bodyguard.

FM
Old 05-03-2007, 10:37 PM   #102
hukarez
College Starter

World War Hulk.

On a side note, I snagged up the first couple of issues of The Loners - really like the humor in the cover art, the homage paid to the Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller's Day Off for the first two issues. Weird Science is supposed to be issue 3's tribute, from what I'm told.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:57 AM   #103
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Loners is on my pull list so I should see these first two issues on the next shipment. Very much looking forward to it.

FM
Old 05-04-2007, 11:17 AM   #104
kurtism
High School Varsity

This just in ( ), Joss Whedon is a god. Runaways 26, Astonishing X-Men 21, and Buffy Season 8 #3 all came out this week, and each is simply great. Add in excellent art on all three, and you simply cannot lose.

(This message has been brought to you by the Whedon Fanboy Network)
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 01:10 PM   #105
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

forgot to mention this but a funny thing happened yesterday. I was watching a show on Space Channel (a canadian station I believe, it's on cable) called "Spider-Man 3: from comics to film". Was quite nice, with lots of previews from the newest movie but also some insight into what they did in the first two movies, interviews with actors and with Sam Raimi.

They also had Stan Lee on and a few other comic writers and artists that I didn't know, until they showed the face of Brian Michael Bendis and I exploded with "Hey, I know this guy!!! He's awesome!". My wife didn't get it and I had to explain that he writes Powers and Mighty Avengers and, as was pointed out on screen, that he wrote plenty of Ultimate Spider-Man. Man I felt geeky then...

I don't feel too bad about it though, she's an even bigger Spider-Man fan than me and she's the one pressuring me to go get tickets so we can go watch it on Imax over the weekend... I hate crowds and would be just all right waiting one week, but she's adamant that we have to go this week. My son will only be too happy to follow us whenever we decide to go.

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 05-04-2007 at 01:10 PM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 01:46 PM   #106
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtism View Post
This just in ( ), Joss Whedon is a god. Runaways 26, Astonishing X-Men 21, and Buffy Season 8 #3 all came out this week, and each is simply great. Add in excellent art on all three, and you simply cannot lose.

(This message has been brought to you by the Whedon Fanboy Network)

I just picked up Buffy Season 8 #3, but I have a question for the Buffy fans out there ...

Spoiler

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 01:53 PM   #107
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post
I just picked up Buffy Season 8 #3, but I have a question for the Buffy fans out there ...

Spoiler

Spoiler
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:34 PM   #108
kurtism
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
...until they showed the face of Brian Michael Bendis and I exploded with "Hey, I know this guy!!! He's awesome!". My wife didn't get it and I had to explain that he writes Powers and Mighty Avengers and, as was pointed out on screen, that he wrote plenty of Ultimate Spider-Man. Man I felt geeky then...
FM

Actually, Bendis has written all of Ultimate Spidey, including the Annuals - and Mark Bagley has done every issue of the pencilling to date (other than the annuals). A record-setting run, topping Lee and Ditko's run on FF for the most consecutive issues by a writer/artist combo. Sadly, Bags is moving on to a new book very soon.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:37 PM   #109
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtism View Post
Actually, Bendis has written all of Ultimate Spidey, including the Annuals - and Mark Bagley has done every issue of the pencilling to date (other than the annuals). A record-setting run, topping Lee and Ditko's run on FF for the most consecutive issues by a writer/artist combo. Sadly, Bags is moving on to a new book very soon.

you know, I suspected that was true as I think I had read it somewhere but I wasn't sure enough, so I just told her he wrote "many" of them.

FM
Old 05-04-2007, 09:16 PM   #110
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Knowing how everyone around this thread is quite knowledgeable, I'm sure you guys all know about this but here's a friendly reminder that Free Comic Book Day is tomorrow, May 5th. Follow the link to see which book might be available for free at your local comic shop.

Online, I've found that Graham Crackers Comics will allow you to order three different free comics for free with $5 fo shipping.

In Canada, All New Comics will supposedly allow you to pick up to 5 different free comics as long as you place an order with them. Without an order, you should be able to order one completely free comics (no shipping charged).

FM
Old 05-15-2007, 11:37 AM   #111
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

boohoo, just got this email:
Quote:
Hello from Amazon.ca.

We're sorry to report we won't be able to obtain the following item from
your order:

J. Michael Straczynski (Author), et al "Rising Stars"

Although we'd expected to be able to send this item to you, we've since
found it's not available from any of our sources at this time. We
realize this is disappointing news to receive, and we apologize for any
inconvenience we've caused you.

We must apologize also for the length of time it's taken us to reach this
conclusion. Until recently, we'd still hoped to obtain this item for you.

We've cancelled this item from your order.

Your credit card will not be charged for this item, because you only pay
for items when we ship them to you.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused by this delay.

Your order is now closed.

That was regarding an order I passed on March 16 for the complete collection of Rising Stars in hardcover. I was really looking forward to reading it and started looking for the individual trades when I found this thing:
Quote:
Rising Stars Compendium

Author: J. Michael Straczynski|See more titles by J. Michael Straczynski

holy moly!!! This will be a huge collection and should be available this Fall. I'm getting all kinds of release dates between indigo.ca (oct. 1), amazon.ca (oct. 25), and amazon.com (dec. 25), but I will hold off any Rising Stars purchase until then. Amazon.com says it will total 1280 pages. wow

Other than that, I've read New Universal up to #5 and thought it was very interesting. I'm currently Welcome to Tranquility (up to issue #5) and it's a whole different kind of thing. Pretty funny trying to think of some old people as super heroes past their prime.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:50 AM   #112
MikeVic
Head Coach

I read Runaways volume 2 #1-12 a couple days ago. Liked it a lot. Can't wait for the #13-24 collection.

I think I'm going to switch to collections now. Easier to remember what happened in the previous issue if you just read it a few minutes ago.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 12:18 AM   #113
WVUFAN
College Starter

Just picked up my stack of comics from the last two weeks, including some of the free comics from Free Comic Book Day. Here's some of what I got:

Painkiller Jane #1(Dynamite): Woman on Woman topless kissing is cool. Oh, yeah, there's a bunch of fighting and really good dialogue as well. The topless kissing scene seemed to come out of nowhere, though, which makes me curious as to what the writer will go with the romance angle.

Death Dealer #1&#2 (Image): The art is FANTASTIC, but the story is a little lacking. It just may take time to develop.

The Umbrella Academy (Dark Horse): Free comic preview. Writer is Gerald Way, the lead singer of My Chemical Romance. the art is ... very Mike Mignola-ish without the detail, and the story is just doggone wierd. I read it through twice before I really got it, although one of the characters, "The Rumor" has a great power that I wish I had. Plus it's free.

Pirates vs Ninja (Antarctic): Free Comic. GET THIS COMIC. It's got great cartoony art, and a funny, funny story. Plus it's full sized -- a complete story. And it's free.

Hack/Slash #1 (DDP): I think I mentioned this before -- if you're a fan of horror books, this one is for you. Cassie Hack is the penultimate damsel in distress who has gotten tired of being in distress all the time, and goes after the serial killers and monsters instead of being the victim. It's got a good backstory, and it's a first issue of an ongoing -- you can get in from the ground floor. I'm a big fan of Tim Seeley, the writer. He's one of the few writers out there (with Robert Kirkman and Steve Niles) who just GETS how to do a decent horror book. I think he's the next big thing, and wouldn't be surprised to see him on a few DC or Marvel books in the next few years.

Mighty Avengers #3(Marvel): Bendis is getting better at this. I love the internal dialogue in this book. And Frank Cho can draw women, especially Tigra.

The Astonishing Wolf-Man(Image): Free comic. This is the full, complete first issue of an ongoing that they made into one of the Free Comics. From my understanding, it's been the most popular because a)it's not a preview, but the full first issue), and b)it's written by Robert Kirkman, and the last two ongoings he started with Image (Walking Dead and Invincible) and two of the best written comics out there today. It's free, and it's a great start to a series, although it's a horrible name for a title.

Last edited by WVUFAN : 05-19-2007 at 12:54 AM.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:45 AM   #114
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I have a bunch of those Hellblazer TPBs. It's somewhat of a mixed bag at times, but usually much more hit than miss, especially when you have the right combination of writer (especially anything written by Garth Ennis or Warren Ellis) and artist.

I am readig Red Sepulchre at the moment and enjoying it quite a bit.

I think Dangerous Habits is probably my favorite. I liked Son of Man quite a bit too.

I am reading Dangerous Habits at the moment and that's just brilliant stuff. I only have the last of the six collected issues left to read in it and that was just great, great stuff.

FM
Old 05-23-2007, 11:47 AM   #115
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

following my discovery of an upcoming Rising Stars Compendium, I also found that this it will be part of Top Cow's Compendium collection that includes huge compendium versions for The Darkness and Witchblade, as well as Cyberforce.

Cyberforce I'm not too sure about but The Darkness and Witchblade seemed interesting enough, not least of the reasons is the name of Garth Ennis appearing on The Darkness creative team. I'm reading its first issue on the Top Cow website right now and it looks very interesting. Quite a freaking hottie on page 6.

A compendium edition presenting 1200+ pages for something like 45$cdn sure looks like a sweet deal...

Anybody has ever read one of these three series?

FM
Old 06-02-2007, 02:08 PM   #117
cuervo72
Head Coach

FWIW, I thought the 2nd through 4th TPB's of Fables were all better than the first.

I'm among those who've picked up the first 52 TPB, working my way through it. Recently read the Day of Vengeance trade to get the backstory on Shadowpact, and want to pick up the Pentacle Plot trade to continue with that (those are all Willingham too).

On board for Countdown. Starting slow, but that's fine - I trust Dini.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:58 AM   #118
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Since last posting here, I've read the second the first two Astonishing X-Men trade as well as the second Y: The Last Man tpb and #2 & #3 Ex Machina trades. There were very good. Basically stuff from all over the map, but I enjoyed them all thoroughly. Thanks to you all in there who recommended them. All three series are now high on my list of future tpd buys...

I'm currently reading book 2 of Usagi Yojimbo and that one is a gem, a very cool lighthearted kind of book. I have posted a small introduction to the rabbit bodyguard on my karate blog and I'll repost it here:
Quote:
Thursday, June 07, 2007
Usagi Yojimbo, you know him?

I can almost hear Mat scrambling to his Japanese-to-English dictionary, trying to translate the terms, Usagi Yojimbo. That is if he doesn't already know about the Rabbit Bodyguard...

Yup, that's what it means, Usagi means Rabbit and Yojimbo means Bodyguard. And where the heck have I found such a term you may ask? In the comic book series of the same name, written by Stan Sakai. The series has been going on strong for more than 20 years now, starting way back in 1986. It relates the story of a ronin (i.e. masterless) samurai who has become a bodyguard for hire. To help you understand, I'll simply repost the wikipedia entry for Usagi Yojimbo:

Set primarily at the beginning of Edo period Japan (early 17th century), with anthropomorphic animals replacing humans, it features a rabbit ronin, Miyamoto Usagi, who wanders the land on a musha shugyo (warrior's pilgrimage) occasionally selling his services as a bodyguard. The character of Usagi has been inspired by the famous swordsman Miyamoto Musashi while the tone and inspirations of the stories are heavily influenced by Groo the Wanderer, Lone Wolf and Cub and the films of the acclaimed director Akira Kurosawa.

The books consist of short stories, and occasionally novel-length stories, with underlying larger plotlines which culminate in long extended story lines. The stories include many references to Japanese history and Japanese folklore, and sometimes include mythical creatures. The architecture, clothes, weapons, and other objects are drawn with a faithfulness to the period's style. There are often stories whose purpose is to illustrate various elements of Japanese arts and crafts, such as the fashioning of kites, swords, and pottery. Those efforts have been successful enough for the series to be awarded a Parent's Choice Award for its educational value. The series also follows the standard Japanese naming convention for all featured characters: their surname followed by their given name.

So yeah, Usagi is a rabbit fighting with all sorts of other animals. Bad dudes can be rhinoceroses or wild cats or even moles. It is very cool and a lot of fun.

I'm currently reading book 2 of the collected series and while I loved book 1 a lot, book 2 is really where it picks up steam and explains a lot of stuff about Miyamoto Usagi. It's told as a sort of flashback story by Miyamoto Usagi himself, going back to how he was trained to be the samurai that he is now, and also how he came to be masterless.

The way it's told, you can tell that author Stan Sakai, a third generation Japanese-American who was born in Kyoto Japan but grew up in Hawaii and later in Calofornia, has done his research well. You can read and interview with him here where he tells about how he does his research and how his mom who was born and raised in Japan is his best source of information. Everything as authentic as one would think that feudal (early 17th century) Japan would feel.

Even better, it's a good read for kids too, at least for kids as young as 9 I would think. Sure there is swordfighting but the fights are not real graphic. At the same time, there's plenty of great teachings present in the books. The first example is how his teacher thaught him at first. He asked him to get wood and water and everytime he'd be close to him, he would bonk him in the head with a bambo pole. At first Usagi didn't understand why, until he started getting wary of the bambo pole and started always behind aware of his surrounding cause he would never know where the teacher would be to bonk him in the head. Behind a tree, at the corner of a clearing in the woods, right behind a door, etc. That part had a pretty strong Mr. Miyagi feeling to it where you'd look at how his sensei is teaching him and you'd wonder where he is going with it, then it hits you. Very cool.

There are also great teachings through the words of his wise teacher. Such as these gems: "As a samurai, you must strive for perfecton in body and spirit. Duty and honor are the essence of bushido, the way of the warrior, and should be preserved at the cost of your own life."

Sure, the same would probably not apply today, but remember, we're talking about early 17th century here. It fits...

Then there's more: " A samurai's body is the manifestation of his spirit. To have a strong body, you must have a strong spirit. So your inner self must be cultivated just as much as your outer shell..... The sword is the sould of the samurai and his badge of station. To appear in public without it is a disgrace. But behind the sould is the spirit. When you strike, first strike with your spirit. Look into your adversary's hara into his center being. Know how he will strike, before he, himself does. Often the duel is over before the first blow is even struck. reach out for your spirit. Feel for the hidden dangers lurking..."

And with that, as Usagi was walking under a tree branch loaded with snow, the teacher lightly tapped the branch above his head and before Usagi realized it, he was covered with snow.

And then even better, something I too take for my own self: "Every day of our lives is an education. You must strive to learn something new every day."

Sooooo simple, yet very true.

And there's more, this time relating more the what it's about to be a samurai: "The sword is not just a weapon. It's also a mirror. It reflects the soul of the samurai. It is the soul of the samurai. Just as the blade can be tarnished, so can the sould be corroded. Swordsmanship is a discipline and a way of strengthening one's inner self. So keep your soul sharp and clear. Remember... a true samurai does not look for a fight... but tries to avoid it. The best souls are those kept in their scabbards."

So much of that can also apply to us as martial artist. You too should not look for a fight but try to avoid it.

As you can see, these little teachings can even be understood by kiddos of around 9 to 12 years of age. And I'm sure they'll enjoy the samurais splitting flies in two with their swords.

I've read that this book is sort of difficult to find. I bought my copy from indigo.ca (especially good for Canadian readers) but I see that amazon.com also have a few copies in stock.

I'm sure many smaller comic shops might have copies of it lying around, but I have found that indigo and amazon (either .ca or .com) are the cheaper ways to go when buying trade paperbacks of comic books.

Yeah, it was written with martial artists, or at least fans of martial arts in mind, but maybe one of you around here might like it.

FM
Old 06-08-2007, 12:46 PM   #119
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Since last posting here, I've read the second the first two Astonishing X-Men trade as well as the second Y: The Last Man tpb and #2 & #3 Ex Machina trades. There were very good. Basically stuff from all over the map, but I enjoyed them all thoroughly. Thanks to you all in there who recommended them. All three series are now high on my list of future tpd buys...

I'm currently reading book 2 of Usagi Yojimbo and that one is a gem, a very cool lighthearted kind of book. I have posted a small introduction to the rabbit bodyguard on my karate blog and I'll repost it here:

Yeah, it was written with martial artists, or at least fans of martial arts in mind, but maybe one of you around here might like it.

FM

I just finished the first two TPBs of "Ex Machina" and am about to finish the third "Y: The Last Man Standing" TPB as well. I like it. I've enjoyed Ex Machina more than Y, but both are great. It's the Brian Vaugh era at the H_B Mansion. I think he was really the last "must read" author I hadn't gotten around to.

I have third Astonishing X-Men sitting on my to read pile at home as well.

I think the latest Fables tpb just came out. I will definitely pick it up. I love the series.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-08-2007, 02:25 PM   #120
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

As for what I have left to read, I plan on reading Identity Crisis next, then the first two Lucifer trades, and finally the first three New Avengers trades. The Avengers trade I got for some very good price and my two sons have one DVD of them, so I'll certainly have some mindless fun reading them.

After that, it should about time for me to order the second Powers hardcover (supposed to come out June 20th) as well as some other little things as I plan to have enough airmiles by then for a $50 gift card at indigo.

FM
Old 06-14-2007, 06:51 PM   #121
TonyR
High School Varsity

I hadn't read any comics since I was a lot younger, but reading that Joss Wheden was doing a Buffy comic got me interested.
Since I got the wife to watch all 7 seasons of Buffy, she agreed and we've been reading along now.

I also ended up picking up some of the Avengers spinoffs The Initiative, Omega Flight, and New Warriors. I ordered the Might Avengers and just waiting for them to be shipped.

This is another hobby that FOFC has reintroduced to me.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:04 PM   #122
hukarez
College Starter

$39.99 for a hardcover version of Planet Hulk TPB.

Should be available as of yesterday, from what I hear.

(Go Hulk!)
tweet tweet twitter
Old 06-14-2007, 08:36 PM   #123
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez View Post
$39.99 for a hardcover version of Planet Hulk TPB.

Should be available as of yesterday, from what I hear.

(Go Hulk!)

is it that one? $26.39 is a bit more swallowable, although they are announcing it as to be released on June 27th...

I know big online stores like amazon (and indigo.ca for Canadian shoppers) are not helping the little local comic bookstores, but too often, my wallet decides what I can buy, so the cheaper the better, for the same quality of course...

And Tony, welcome to the fold

FM
Old 06-14-2007, 08:39 PM   #124
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

dola, and Tony, if you've not read comics for a little while, you should be able to find trade paperbacks that collect older Buffy issues...

FM
Old 06-15-2007, 01:24 AM   #125
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
is it that one? $26.39 is a bit more swallowable, although they are announcing it as to be released on June 27th...

I know big online stores like amazon (and indigo.ca for Canadian shoppers) are not helping the little local comic bookstores, but too often, my wallet decides what I can buy, so the cheaper the better, for the same quality of course...

And Tony, welcome to the fold

FM

Nice! That's the one. However, I'm always one for instant gratification, and the local manga house here in town got it's shipment Wednesday for full retail. I'd probably use my friend's member discount at a local Borders/Barnes and Noble if they happen to carry it in stock...

Which usually ends up being about a week or two from it's release date, I guess.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 06-15-2007, 04:01 AM   #126
WVUFAN
College Starter

Opinions on the big "Universe-changing" reveal in New Avengers #31?

Old 06-15-2007, 06:35 AM   #127
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
dola, and Tony, if you've not read comics for a little while, you should be able to find trade paperbacks that collect older Buffy issues...

FM

I don't think there's a TPB out yet for the new Buffy series. I am waiting on that.

It's funny, I got my wife to watch Buffy too. I was viciously mocked for a good year or so after we met because I watched Buffy. I finally sat her down and we watched some. I was mocked no more. I don't think she ever made it to Seasons 6 or 7. I told her that, outside of a handful of episodes, it's really not worth it.

Comics-wise, I am in my Brian K. Vaughn era still. I'm reading "Y" at the moment and then will get back to "Ex Machina." I also plan to start picking up the "Runaways" TPB. I also just picked up the latest "Fables" TPB two days ago.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:02 AM   #128
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I don't think there's a TPB out yet for the new Buffy series. I am waiting on that.

oops, my bad. I just assumed that they had trades available.

Quote:
Comics-wise, I am in my Brian K. Vaughn era still. I'm reading "Y" at the moment and then will get back to "Ex Machina." I also plan to start picking up the "Runaways" TPB. I also just picked up the latest "Fables" TPB two days ago.

While I read a bit of everything at the moment (just finished Identity Crisis and will read the first two Lucifer next) I'm really looking forward to the next time I get a chance to get my hands on some Y and some Ex Machina. I also have a pending order for the hardcover of the complete first series of Runaways but indigo seems to not be able to fulfill the order. I might have to go the tpb route with that one...

FM
Old 06-15-2007, 07:06 AM   #129
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez View Post
Nice! That's the one. However, I'm always one for instant gratification, and the local manga house here in town got it's shipment Wednesday for full retail. I'd probably use my friend's member discount at a local Borders/Barnes and Noble if they happen to carry it in stock...

Which usually ends up being about a week or two from it's release date, I guess.

yeah, damn instant gratification

I'm too much of a cheapskate though, and I know I'm so behind the times, meaning there's just too much that I have not read and that is out there for the taking that I can wait a little for one or another. That's what I'll do for the second Powers hardcover which should be out at some point and will maybe take a bit more time to get through indigo or amazon, but will be much cheaper...

FM
Old 06-17-2007, 05:14 PM   #130
TonyR
High School Varsity

Quote:

It's funny, I got my wife to watch Buffy too. I was viciously mocked for a good year or so after we met because I watched Buffy. I finally sat her down and we watched some. I was mocked no more. I don't think she ever made it to Seasons 6 or 7. I told her that, outside of a handful of episodes, it's really not worth it.

That's how it was for my wife. She was like you watch what? I finally just started watching them again from the begining, then she sat in, and got into it too. As for older comics, the reason I got into it was because it goes with the TV series, so that is why I went after Buffy comics.
BTW, she's reading the comics too.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:02 PM   #131
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I also have a pending order for the hardcover of the complete first series of Runaways but indigo seems to not be able to fulfill the order. I might have to go the tpb route with that one...

FM

Had some good news waiting for me in my email inbox last night. Indigo have been able to ship my order for the first Runaways hardcover. Should get to me in a few days. weehee!

Add to that a $50 gift card with indigo.ca thanks to some airmiles with my credit card and I should have another order to make any day now. Plenty of reading for the nice summer days... And just in time to order the 2nd Powers hardcover...

FM
Old 06-20-2007, 01:16 PM   #132
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Had some good news waiting for me in my email inbox last night. Indigo have been able to ship my order for the first Runaways hardcover. Should get to me in a few days. weehee!

Add to that a $50 gift card with indigo.ca thanks to some airmiles with my credit card and I should have another order to make any day now. Plenty of reading for the nice summer days... And just in time to order the 2nd Powers hardcover...

FM

Let me know about Runaways. It's next on my "to buy list."

I just orded the last few Y: The Last Man Standing tpbs and the most recent Walking Dead.

I fear that after this summer, I will have run out of tpbs to buy...
Old 06-20-2007, 01:26 PM   #133
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:

FM

Is it the first volume hardcover?? I ordered it awhile ago, but don't have it yet. I've ordered and read volume 2 and 3 already though. Found them really enjoying.

I'd say Brian K. Vaughan is becoming my second favourite writer. I should pick up some Y: The Last Man... do they come in hardcover collections, or something more than just 5 or 6 issue TPBs?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:32 PM   #134
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

Might be a little while before I get to it. I going through the first Lucifer at the moment, kinda weird and slow paced for now, then I have the second of the series and the first three New Avengers trades I wanted to get to before digging into Runaways, cause well, I was not even sure I'd get it, heh.

Quote:
I just orded the last few Y: The Last Man Standing tpbs and the most recent Walking Dead.

I fear that after this summer, I will have run out of tpbs to buy...

I'm expecting some extra bonus money at work and might use it on a bunch of Y: The Last Man trades, like 5 or 6 of them at once. We shall see.

As for running out of trades, phew, I don't see that day coming anytime soon for me. There's just too much stuff I learn about everyday, from Lucifer, to Preacher, to more going back to get more traditional superhero stuff like the Ultimate Spider-Man series from the beginning. Baby steps, baby steps...

I just added Avengers Classic to my standing order. Have you guys seen that one? Includes a reprint of the original Avengers and some new stories featuring Stan "the man" Lee himself talking with the Avengers. Looked cool enough to make me want to follow it on a monthly basis.

FM
Old 06-20-2007, 01:38 PM   #135
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Is it the first volume hardcover?? I ordered it awhile ago, but don't have it yet. I've ordered and read volume 2 and 3 already though. Found them really enjoying.

The one I ordered and that they are shipping to me is a hardcover:
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/...K+Vaughan'

From what I understand, it includes the first 18 issues of Runaways, or the equivalent of the first three tpbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I'd say Brian K. Vaughan is becoming my second favourite writer. I should pick up some Y: The Last Man... do they come in hardcover collections, or something more than just 5 or 6 issue TPBs?

I've not seen Y: The Last Man in anything other than 5-6 issues tpbs, no. There are now 9 of them out btw...

FM
Old 07-24-2007, 12:16 PM   #136
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

Quote:
Might be a little while before I get to it. I going through the first Lucifer at the moment, kinda weird and slow paced for now, then I have the second of the series and the first three New Avengers trades I wanted to get to before digging into Runaways, cause well, I was not even sure I'd get it, heh.

Okay, what's with what I had to read before and the nice weather kicking in (i.e. me spending more time in the pool and there's no way I'd bring that nice book anywhere near that much water), I hav finally read that Runaways first hardcover and let me tell you, that was a GREAT read. Very entertaining and highly recommended. I loved the plot behind the 18 issues mega story arc, very well done by BKV. I will be getting hardcover #2 very soon...

Quote:
I'm expecting some extra bonus money at work and might use it on a bunch of Y: The Last Man trades, like 5 or 6 of them at once. We shall see.

That bonus money was confirmed last Friday and should be paid out this week. My order for trades #3 to #8 of Y: The Last Man has already been placed to DCBService.com although it may be a little while before I see them, as they act more like a mailorder kind of place and will collect all of my order before shipping it out...

FM
Old 07-27-2007, 09:30 PM   #137
WVUFAN
College Starter

I spend too much on comics.

I picked up 2 months worth of comics today, and after paying $160.00. I have much more on my pull list than I though.

Comics I picked up today:

Thor #1
Nova #2 and #3
Countdown #47-#40
Avengers Classic #1 and #2
New Warriors #1 and #2
Gen-13 #8 - #10
Welcome to Tranquility #6-#8
Madame Mirage #1
Fall of Cthulhu #4
The Order #1
Highlander #8
Drafted Preview
Fangoria Comic's Bump #1 and #2
Brave and the Bold #4
New Avengers #31 and #32
Astounding Wolf-Man #2
Painkiller Jane #2
Dynamo 5 #2-#5
Mighty Avengers #4
Avengers Initiative #3
Iron Fist #7
Justice Society of America #7
JLA #10-#11
Hack/Slash #2 and #3

I might need to cut down a bit.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:44 AM   #138
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
I picked up 2 months worth of comics today, and after paying $160.00. I have much more on my pull list than I though.

Comics I picked up today:

Thor #1
Nova #2 and #3
Countdown #47-#40
Avengers Classic #1 and #2
New Warriors #1 and #2
Gen-13 #8 - #10
Welcome to Tranquility #6-#8
Madame Mirage #1
Fall of Cthulhu #4
The Order #1
Highlander #8
Drafted Preview
Fangoria Comic's Bump #1 and #2
Brave and the Bold #4
New Avengers #31 and #32
Astounding Wolf-Man #2
Painkiller Jane #2
Dynamo 5 #2-#5
Mighty Avengers #4
Avengers Initiative #3
Iron Fist #7
Justice Society of America #7
JLA #10-#11
Hack/Slash #2 and #3

I might need to cut down a bit.

Well, you and I both. I just went through $600 at the Comic Con here in San Diego, and we're just at the halfway point!
tweet tweet twitter
Old 07-28-2007, 09:25 AM   #139
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

oomph, you guys make me feel a bit better about my tiny $25-30 a month, although I gotta say that's for the pull list alone. I usually add almost as much, maybe a bit more, for trades...

I just started reading the first hardcover of Ultimate Fantastic Four after reading the third Usagi Yojimbo trade...

FM
Old 07-28-2007, 09:48 AM   #140
Richard Weed
H.S. Freshman Team

I just spent $170 on 500 bags, 500 boards, 10 boxes and 25 dividers. Ugh. Shipping alone was $66. I got it from www.comicsupply.com. After reading a little about the San Diego Comicon, I was wondering if anyone else would be interested in going next year and sharing a room, etc.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:56 AM   #141
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Just read the first volume of 52. Not bad.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 02:08 PM   #142
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Weed View Post
I just spent $170 on 500 bags, 500 boards, 10 boxes and 25 dividers. Ugh. Shipping alone was $66. I got it from www.comicsupply.com. After reading a little about the San Diego Comicon, I was wondering if anyone else would be interested in going next year and sharing a room, etc.

I usually go to WW Chicago each year. Never been to the Comic-Con. I heard it's crazy.

Old 07-28-2007, 02:46 PM   #143
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Weed View Post

Dola ...

I usually get my stuff from tcbulk.com for comic supplies. Using your example above:

1000 Modern Comic Backing boards -- $46.00
1000 Modern Resealable Comic Bags -- $32.50
10 long boxes -- $24.00

Shipping -- $40.50

TOTAL: $143.00 -- and you get double what you ordered. Regular comic bags are cheaper, but I love the resealables, since you don't have to put tape on them.

www.tcbulk.com

Old 07-28-2007, 04:40 PM   #144
kurtism
High School Varsity

FWIW, I've mentioned them before - http://www.impulsecreations.net/ is a great online comics resource. Bags and boards free with subscription purchases, and if you spend $50+ per month, shipping is free as well. The final kicker is that they discount off the cover, the percentage increases with the size of your order...
Old 07-29-2007, 09:38 AM   #145
Richard Weed
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Dola ...

I usually get my stuff from tcbulk.com for comic supplies. Using your example above:

1000 Modern Comic Backing boards -- $46.00
1000 Modern Resealable Comic Bags -- $32.50
10 long boxes -- $24.00

Shipping -- $40.50

TOTAL: $143.00 -- and you get double what you ordered. Regular comic bags are cheaper, but I love the resealables, since you don't have to put tape on them.

www.tcbulk.com
Thanks. I got the resealables too. I also picked up Thor #1 (both covers) from that website too, so that added another $6. In any case, those are much better prices.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:23 PM   #146
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I just want to say that Eric Powell's Artwork in Action Comics #855 is amazing.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:33 PM   #147
WVUFAN
College Starter

For those who love comics but do not live near a comic shop or dislike the shop near them, might I recommend www.heavyink.com -- great site to set up a subscription. Whether it be 1 book or 30, shipping is entirely free. I live in West Virginia and I get my shipment in 3 days, and it decent condition. Comics are shipped weekly, even if it's just 1 book. It's got a nice site set-up and a system of recommendations, especially for the indie books.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:15 PM   #148
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
For those who love comics but do not live near a comic shop or dislike the shop near them, might I recommend www.heavyink.com -- great site to set up a subscription. Whether it be 1 book or 30, shipping is entirely free. I live in West Virginia and I get my shipment in 3 days, and it decent condition. Comics are shipped weekly, even if it's just 1 book. It's got a nice site set-up and a system of recommendations, especially for the indie books.

thanks for the recommendation. I got fed up with my online shop which, while it was in Canada and all, had to be checked and double checked on every shipment and shipped only every two months that I had decided to stop reading comics by the issue back in late November. Guess what I got in the mail today... A shipment from them, despite me communicating with them that I wanted them to close my standing order!!! Sure enough, they didn't send it for free, but I'll enjoy them anyway. I'm gonna make sure they get the message this time and will probably set my subscription with heavyink.

I like their whole setup, very well done with a cool concept around it and everything. They do ship to Canada, for MikeVic among others, and from their help page, it should only be a $3.99 surcharge per shipment to get delivery to Canada. I just sent them an email to make sure it's indeed the deal.

Once you upgrade your shipments to the $3.99 option, you can set the frequency at which they will ship you so I'd probably set it to once a month and it wouldn't cost me more than a trip in car to the nearest comic shop (about one hour roundtrip)...

FM
Old 02-20-2008, 08:27 PM   #149
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:

Do you get the free shipping and if so, how is it shipped?

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:32 PM   #150
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
Do you get the free shipping and if so, how is it shipped?

From their help page:
Quote:
How much is shipping?

Shipping is free to US addresses, on every order!

What shipping upgrades are available?

If you want to upgrade from Free Shipping (the somewhat slow USPS media mail), we also offer UPS. UPS costs just $3.99 per shipment, and gives quicker delivery, insurance, delivery to Canada, and the ability to track your packages.

When do my items ship?

If you use Free Shipping, we ship your items as soon as they're in stock...but occasionally we'll hold on to one item for a day or two to batch it up with another item and put them in the same shipment.
If you upgrade to UPS, you get to pick how many shipments you want: just one, to minimize cost, or multiple, to get you your items as soon as possible. We let you specify these details.

How do I specify which shipping option I want?

At checkout you get to specify. We also keep your shipping preferences on file, to make the checkout process speedier. You can change your preferences via your account settings page.

Do you ship to Puerto Rico / APO / FPO addresses?

Yes!

Do you ship outside of the US?

At this point, we ship to the US and Canada. Eventually, we hope to ship world-wide.

How long does shipping take?

When an item is in stock, orders placed by 8am EST ship the same day. In-stock items in orders placed after 8am ship the next weekday morning. Orders ship from Massachusetts.
Free Shipping (via the USPS) usually takes 2-9 business days, but may take longer.
Premium Shipping (UPS Ground) usually 2-3 days, guaranteed 5 days or less.

Can you tell me the tracking number for my order?

On Free Shipping, the Post Office doesn't use tracking numbers, so we can not give tracking numbers to you. Sorry. If you want tracking numbers, we recommend Premium Shipping.
All packages sent via Premium Shipping have tracking numbers. We email tracking numbers to you and display them in your "shipments" page on the website.

Why don't you ship to my country? Can't you make an exception?

In order to ship you comics, we need to
(a) understand the customs fees, workarounds, and waiting periods
(b) understand the shipping fees
(c) have legal recourse in the event of a loss of shipment.
(d) understand any legal restraints on content (Might certain words be considered obscene in some areas?)
(e) instruct our staff on different shipping procedures
To justify the research and work for each country, we have to expect a very large volume of business.
To date, we have only decided to ship to a just the US and Canada. In the future, we hope to ship to more countries.

FM