Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-16-2008, 04:36 PM   #251
WVUFAN
College Starter

To add to that:

I usually get my books (I live in WV) on Monday, when they ship on Wednesday, sometimes on Saturday. That's with the free shipping.

A max 4 day turnaround for something you don't pay shipping for isn't bad.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:10 PM   #252
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Nice. I likey. I'm aaron.l.montgomery on there. I called Mile High and canceled my NICE subscription with them (which is a misnomer of all sorts). I started up my subscriptions with Heavy Ink beginning in July. Hopefully everything will find me as we move.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:34 PM   #253
WVUFAN
College Starter

Here's my profile:

http://heavyink.com/wvufan

Old 06-16-2008, 07:38 PM   #254
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Added you. Thanks for the info!
Old 06-16-2008, 08:37 PM   #255
kurtism
High School Varsity

Watching The Middleman on ABCFamily. Originally a comic by former Lost producer/writer Javier Grillo-Marxuach, now a series by the same. Good sense of humor, and I can think of a worse way to waste time during the summer season.
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:47 PM   #256
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Added you. Thanks for the info!

Just found you and I've friended you too. One other neat thing about HI is the community aspect of it all. There are quite a few comic creators that have shown up, mostly indies like the guys from Red 5 (Atomic Robo, Neozoic, Abyss, the upcoming ZMD: Zombies of Mass Destruction) and the forums have a tiny bit of discussion going on. I try to get it going a bit by asking people what they like when the new solicitations go up and what they expect HI to pull for them on the following week (see this page for a list of what should ship for you next week).

Also, for the Canadian customers, they are not charging for shipping at the moment. They were very up front about it and told me that they are not sure if they can keep on doing so forever, but that they would contact all Canadians before they start charging. Seeing how nice and reasonable they've been with me so far, I wouldn't expect their shipping charge to be too outlandish.

Finally, they do have a ton of stuff listed. Basically, if a series is solicited and presented in Previews, it'll be listed in there.

FM
Old 06-16-2008, 10:15 PM   #257
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtism View Post
Read "Trinity" #1 this morning. Busiek and Bagley hitting on all cylinders - definitely a return to the good form of 52 IMO. Backup story by Nicieza and McDaniel was also strong.

read it a couple days ago and for a non-initiated to the DCU, I liked it VERY much. Great art, cool story, and backup story. Will be staying with it as long as it develops nicely.

FM
Old 06-17-2008, 10:41 AM   #258
kurtism
High School Varsity

Quote:
Watching The Middleman on ABCFamily. Originally a comic by former Lost producer/writer Javier Grillo-Marxuach, now a series by the same. Good sense of humor, and I can think of a worse way to waste time during the summer season.

Followup: Here's a nice review from Newsarama of the preview: http://www.newsarama.com/tv/060816-MiddlmanReview.html

Also, the comments to the review indicate that the pilot is free on iTunes, if anyone wants to check it out. The female lead has a nice Rosario Dawson-eque vibe that makes for easy viewing.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:00 PM   #259
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Followup: Here's a nice review from Newsarama of the preview: http://www.newsarama.com/tv/060816-MiddlmanReview.html

Also, the comments to the review indicate that the pilot is free on iTunes, if anyone wants to check it out. The female lead has a nice Rosario Dawson-eque vibe that makes for easy viewing.

It looks like a good show. I'll check it out on iTunes. Love my free shows!
Old 06-17-2008, 08:06 PM   #260
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
Just found you and I've friended you too. One other neat thing about HI is the community aspect of it all. There are quite a few comic creators that have shown up, mostly indies like the guys from Red 5 (Atomic Robo, Neozoic, Abyss, the upcoming ZMD: Zombies of Mass Destruction) and the forums have a tiny bit of discussion going on. I try to get it going a bit by asking people what they like when the new solicitations go up and what they expect HI to pull for them on the following week (see this page for a list of what should ship for you next week).

Also, for the Canadian customers, they are not charging for shipping at the moment. They were very up front about it and told me that they are not sure if they can keep on doing so forever, but that they would contact all Canadians before they start charging. Seeing how nice and reasonable they've been with me so far, I wouldn't expect their shipping charge to be too outlandish.

Finally, they do have a ton of stuff listed. Basically, if a series is solicited and presented in Previews, it'll be listed in there.

FM

You know, going from Mile High Comics (which I should've dumped a long time ago with the freakin Donkeys playing at Mile High!) to Heavy Ink is like going from AOL dial-up to broadband. It's sooooooooo much better. I signed up for Abyss based on their recommendation.

Short story: I got my comics from MHC shipped once a month to save on shipping. That being said, they always shipped my shipment including Previews out so I would either have one or two days to pre-order for two months in advance or I wouldn't even have a chance to pre-order. Anyhow, I had to call them to get some issues that I didn't get a chance to pre-order and they told me that all I had to do was call and if it was from a major publisher (DC, Marvel), it would be no problem.

Anyhow, when I called yesterday it was no problem cancelling my account. The surprising thing was that they didn't even ask why I was doing it. They didn't try to keep me as a customer or anything. huh. If I were in charge there, I'd do everything I could to keep customers.

Whatever. Good deal for me, so thanks FM and WVUFan!
Old 06-17-2008, 08:48 PM   #261
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
You know, going from Mile High Comics (which I should've dumped a long time ago with the freakin Donkeys playing at Mile High!) to Heavy Ink is like going from AOL dial-up to broadband. It's sooooooooo much better. I signed up for Abyss based on their recommendation.

hehe, browsing through the site is a lot of fun, then reading reviews and/or other people's recommendations is also neat. I also sometimes like stalking other people's pull list to see what they are reading, although I have sort of slowed down on that. My pull list was getting to a dangerously high level...

I have read Abyss and it was a lot of fun, as is a lot of what Red 5 put out. Atomic Robo is a must read, with the first trade shipping soon and a new volume of 6 issues starting in July I think. Another title I love from Red 5 is Neozoic. The premise is simple: what would happen if the dinosaurs were never extinct and humans had to deal with them, living inside big walled cities...

Quote:
Whatever. Good deal for me, so thanks FM and WVUFan!

You're welcome. I hope it works out for you. We've heard of people having trouble with their shipment getting to them in poor shape, but that's mostly due to the post office people being stupid/lazy (like bending the envelope to make it fit inside a tiny box). My comics always get to me in nice shape.

FM
Old 06-17-2008, 08:53 PM   #262
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

dola, and you might have seen it, but I try to maintain a list of whatever issues are cheaply priced: Froggie's Bargain Bin

Thought about mentionning it here after I saw Garth Ennis' Crossed added to your pull list.

FM
Old 06-17-2008, 09:17 PM   #263
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
You know, going from Mile High Comics (which I should've dumped a long time ago with the freakin Donkeys playing at Mile High!) to Heavy Ink is like going from AOL dial-up to broadband. It's sooooooooo much better.

and I forgot to say that I can relate to that very much. My previous place was located someplace in Ontario and while I asked him to ship me once a month, he ended up shipping me 5 times in the ten months I'd been with them, or once every couple of months. Nice was it was supposed to be free shipping when over $75 but thing was, he forgot to credit it half the time, so I had to make sure it added up. Nothing was automated, all by email. Again, crappy thing was, he'd forget one, or would not see an email. When you ship once every two months and there something missing, there's often a big chance that it's hard to get some back issues.

Anyway, it's been day and night with HeavyInk. The guys (Pete and Andrew/Comics Monkey) are always great with giving service and the other HI people are cool and always ready to help and take in feature requests. You can read an interesting interview with TJIC over at ComicsReporter. Makes it feel kinda cool to be at the startup of what could possibly become something much bigger.

FM
Old 06-17-2008, 10:09 PM   #264
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:

Ah, not free. I'll try to catch it on DVR.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:13 PM   #265
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
dola, and you might have seen it, but I try to maintain a list of whatever issues are cheaply priced: Froggie's Bargain Bin

Thought about mentionning it here after I saw Garth Ennis' Crossed added to your pull list.

FM

I'm a mark for Garth Ennis after Preacher. That guy can do no wrong.

Anyhow, I forgot about DC Universe Zero and No Hero looks interesting. Thanks!
Old 06-17-2008, 10:15 PM   #266
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I'm a mark for Garth Ennis after Preacher. That guy can do no wrong.

Anyhow, I forgot about DC Universe Zero and No Hero looks interesting. Thanks!

lol, welcome to the dark side

FM
Old 06-19-2008, 02:41 PM   #267
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

The following mini-headline on ESPN.com made me laugh:

Study: Hawk-Eye not as accurate as people think.

It then linked to an article titled "Two British scientists call into question Hawk-Eye's accuracy"

I'm guessing this guy might have something to say to those scientists
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:06 PM   #268
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
The following mini-headline on ESPN.com made me laugh:

Study: Hawk-Eye not as accurate as people think.

It then linked to an article titled "Two British scientists call into question Hawk-Eye's accuracy"

I'm guessing this guy might have something to say to those scientists

Heh. Good stuff. Is he still dead or did come back to life somehow? I lost track.

Did anyone read "The Umbrella Academy"? I saw it got rave reviews and it out in trade paperback. Thoughts?

Of late I've been reading "100 Bullets". I happened across the first trade paperback in a bookstore while I was trying to kill some time. I found it interesting enough and then got the next 5 tpb's off ebay for a good price. I'm pretty much hooked. I'll seeing this one through til the end.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:27 PM   #269
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Is he still dead or did come back to life somehow? I lost track.

I have no idea. I don't think I knew he was dead. Isn't he still leading the West Coast Avengers? Or did Wonder Man take over?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 06-19-2008, 03:51 PM   #270
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I have no idea. I don't think I knew he was dead. Isn't he still leading the West Coast Avengers? Or did Wonder Man take over?

Apparently, he's back. I guess he died in the whole "House of M" thing, but once that was over he was "resurrected". I guess he's a member of the "New Avengers" under the name Ronin. Is there still a "West Coast Avengers"?

I got all this off Wikipedia.

Other than "Astonishing X-Men" and "Runaways", I really haven't followed the Marvel Universe that closely since around 1993. It's been a while...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 06-19-2008 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:57 PM   #271
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Aren't there like 4 universes now? I don't know, in my mind it will always be the early 90's. Rob Liefeld rulez!!
Old 06-19-2008, 04:02 PM   #272
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Aren't there like 4 universes now? I don't know, in my mind it will always be the early 90's. Rob Liefeld rulez!!

I can think of three but fail to come up with a fourth:
main Marvel Universe
Ultimate
Marvel Adventures Universe (the all ages books)

And yeah, Clint Barton aka Ronin aka Hawkeye is now in the New Avengers and I don't think there's any team name the West Coast Avengers anymore.

FM
Old 06-19-2008, 05:02 PM   #273
Raiders Army
Coordinator

What about the New Universe with Psi-Force, Nightmask, etc.?
Old 06-19-2008, 05:18 PM   #274
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
What about the New Universe with Psi-Force, Nightmask, etc.?

yeah, you got a point. Could be the fourth. Or are they four completely different ones than the ones I came up with?

FM
Old 06-19-2008, 06:55 PM   #275
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Nah. They were all in the same universe. I believe it was "rebooted" with New Universal, but I'd have to check.

I bought Psi-Force and Nightmask hoping they'd be worth something some day. Alas. DP-7 was another title. Can't remember the others.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:34 PM   #276
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Isn't there a 2099 universe or something too?
Old 06-20-2008, 09:13 PM   #277
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Isn't there a 2099 universe or something too?

Yes, but that's more of a divergent future than different universe.

Anyhow, long story: I ordered bags and boards from tcbulk.com. The boards arrived today, but no bags. I didn't order them. doh!

So I'm moving next week and the packers come on Wednesday. I need to bag and board my comics (I'm freakin lazy and always wait till the last minute) before they come. I have about 10 months worth of comics to bag and board.

Anyhow, I go back to tcbulk.com and try to call them to see if I can order today and get them by Tuesday. No luck. I tried a couple other places before I got a guy at http://www.comicsupply.com/

He was really nice in a not-Simpsons-Comic-Book-Store-Guy way. Anyhow, I ordered them and he will drop them off at the post office on his way home tonight. I should get them by Tuesday. Anyhow, while I was on the phone with him he told me about his store's deals: 40% off cover price, free comic bag, free comic board for every comic and free shipping once a month. He said shipping every week is about $2.40. Also, he has a rewards program.

- Preorders and trade paperbacks will earn you 0.50 points per $1 spent
- Comic book supplies will earn you 1.00 point per $1 spent
- 'This Weeks Comics' and 'Last Weeks Comics' will earn you 1.25 points per $1 spent
- Back Issues will earn you 2.00 points per $1 spent

Every 100 points is $5.

His name is Russell and he's the owner of the store. He seemed like a good guy and he's got pretty good deals...maybe better than heavyink. I'll stick with heavyink, but it's not a bad deal.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:37 AM   #278
WVUFAN
College Starter

I was looking at this old thread and realized how dramatically my pull list has changed. Here's my new HeavyInk pull list:
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: up to issue #26
  • Nova: best Marvel book out right now
  • Hack/Slash: Megan Fox is signed for the movie version
  • Astounding Wolf-Man
  • Echo
  • Necessary Evil: I think this is cancelled, since it's been months since I've gotten an issue
  • Dynamo 5
  • New Avengers: The "Sorcerer Supreme" plot running is pretty decent. I love the Hellstrom scene last issue.
  • Ultimate Spider-Man: series ends next issue, and is rebooted at #1 a few months down the line
  • Uncanny X-Men: I really dig Greg Land's art. I don't care that he lightboards.
  • Invincible Iron Man: One of the best Marvel books out there. Matt Fraction's writing is top notch and Larroca's art is made for Iron Man
  • Madame Xanadu: for my fiance
  • The Sword: Interesting Image title about an ancient sword and some immortals
  • Ultimatum: mini-series setting up the new Ultimate universe. They've killed some major characters already (Xavier)
  • Power Girl: I'll buy anything Amanda Conner draws.
  • Dark Avengers: Bendis writing this Thunderbolts take-off. And Mike Deodato is a fantastic artist for this style of story.
  • Locke and Key: Head Games: Joe Hill is the next Stephen King.
  • Green Lantern: looking forward to Blackest Night
  • Ender's Shadow
  • Universal War One: Revelations: for my fiance
  • Witchblade
  • Spider-Woman
  • Unwritten: first issue was oversized and only a dollar. Worth trying out
  • Starcraft: DC did a good job with the comic version of WoW, gonna give this a try
  • Exiles: Sliders with Marvel characters
  • Buck Rogers
  • Red Robin: now that we know who the new Batman and Robin are, this Red Robin character is gonna be interesting
  • X-Men Forever: ongoing series that asks the question: What if Claremont had not left the X-Men in 1991?
  • Irredeemable: Waid's take on a Superman-ish character who turns evil.
  • Descentant
  • Reborn: mini-series supposedly to be the return of Steve Rogers
  • Blackest Night: upcoming best DC crossover event
  • Existance 2.0
  • North 40
  • Poe
  • Uncanny X-Men: First Class
  • Batman: now that Morrison is off the title, I'll give it and the new Batman a shot
  • Incarnate
  • The new Strazynski Red Circle titles
  • Ultimate Comics Spider-Man: the new series starts in August
  • Rapture

Old 05-25-2009, 08:59 AM   #279
hoopsguy
General Manager

WVU, I would not want to see the monthly bill for that pull list

In all seriousness, I've dabbled with comics a couple of times post-college and usually enjoy reading them. But it has gotten harder for me, as the years have passed, to justify $20-40 per month on comic books. And if I want to read X-Men then I usually don't want to just read one book, especially with the crossover events and the annual universe-type events that pull readers into other books.

Are there any online options that are significantly cheaper than the hardcover comics? If so, maybe I would take a look at that as a sustainable long-term option.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:48 AM   #280
kurtism
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post
I was looking at this old thread and realized how dramatically my pull list has changed. Here's my new HeavyInk pull list:
  • Locke and Key: Head Games: Joe Hill is the next Stephen King.

You do know that Joe Hill is King's son, right? (Not that it takes anything away from him.)
Old 05-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #281
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
You do know that Joe Hill is King's son, right? (Not that it takes anything away from him.)

Yep. That's why I made the comparison.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:33 PM   #282
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Due to switching jobs and making about $25K less per year, I tried to decrease my pull list and shipping frequency as much as possible. I get the comics once a month and got rid of the ash and trash that I didn't really read.

I found myself getting the rest of Trinity and some other minis, but didn't really dig The Stand or any of the Enders series.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:00 PM   #283
mrsimperless
College Prospect

I just went on a comic / graphic novel splurge and have started reading some things I've wanted to that were recommended here or by some friends. The idea was to try the first issues out of a few things to find something I like. I've read them in the following order so far:

Walking Dead - I've just read the first issue of the TP. Very good and I will be continuing, but the store near me doesn't have the second so I need ot look elsewhere.

I am legend - Loved this one. I had never seen the movie or read the book.

Y The last man - I have one more chapter in the third TP and am pretty well hooked on it. Again, the store didn't have the fourth TP, so I need to go find it.

I still have left to read:

Watchmen (next)
Naeil Gaiman's The Sandman (I am a fan of Gaiman, but for some reason wasn't as excited to get into this as much as the two above.)

All in all these have been great and I'm glad I dove in. I'm sure I'm experiencing the top echelon of quality here, but it's an underrated and misunderstood medium by the masses.

Last edited by mrsimperless : 05-25-2009 at 08:01 PM.
mrsimperless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:20 AM   #284
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Y The Last Man was a fantastic graphic novel, IMHO. Another good one, but older is Preacher. It's got a lot of sex and violence, but the story is actually really good.

I'll have to track down the I Am Legend graphic novel. I've heard great things about the book so I hope the graphic novel does it justice.

Someone recently suggested Walking Dead to me as well. Haven't read it yet, but it's on my to do list.

Watchmen was good, but dated. It was definitely a graphic novel that was ahead of it's time. I occassionally go back and read some of my older comics and most are almost unreadable anymore. I still love them, but they don't have nearly the quality of storylines that today's do. Reading Watchmen I kept thinking to myself that you could slap some new artwork on it and you wouldn't even know that it was written over 20 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimperless View Post
I just went on a comic / graphic novel splurge and have started reading some things I've wanted to that were recommended here or by some friends. The idea was to try the first issues out of a few things to find something I like. I've read them in the following order so far:

Walking Dead - I've just read the first issue of the TP. Very good and I will be continuing, but the store near me doesn't have the second so I need ot look elsewhere.

I am legend - Loved this one. I had never seen the movie or read the book.

Y The last man - I have one more chapter in the third TP and am pretty well hooked on it. Again, the store didn't have the fourth TP, so I need to go find it.

I still have left to read:

Watchmen (next)
Naeil Gaiman's The Sandman (I am a fan of Gaiman, but for some reason wasn't as excited to get into this as much as the two above.)

All in all these have been great and I'm glad I dove in. I'm sure I'm experiencing the top echelon of quality here, but it's an underrated and misunderstood medium by the masses.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:28 AM   #285
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

It's good to see this thread back up on page 1 again.

Anyone who likes "Y" will also almost assuredly like "Ex-Machina", Brian K. Vaughn's other series. It's great.

Other than the obvious and what's been mentioned above and earlier, I'd also recommend a couple of Warren Ellis books. "Fell" is fantastic. I just have the one trade paperback, but it's quite good. It's about a cop in this weird city. It's very stylistic, but quite good.

"Planetary", another Ellis book, is more straight up super hero. It's sort of a cross between super heroes with a little X-Files type conspiracy stuff. It's quite good.

Obviously "Transmetropolitan" is another old Ellis series that's fantastic.

I'd also recommend "The Umbrella Academy" written by Gerard Way, the lead singer of "My Chemical Romance." The art is quite stylistic and the story is fantastic. I really enjoyed it. It's a mini-series, but he's writing more of them now, I believe.

As for my other recommendations, I think I have an earlier post in this thread that spells them out, but those are some I have come across more recently.

Oh, can't forget "100 Bullets". The series just came to an end a few months back. Very cool, very noir type story steeped in conspiracy and a large, over-arching plot. Really good stuff.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:29 AM   #286
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I finally got around to reading the first "Sandman" trade paperback. I thought it was great. I will invest in some more.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:08 AM   #287
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
It's good to see this thread back up on page 1 again.

Anyone who likes "Y" will also almost assuredly like "Ex-Machina", Brian K. Vaughn's other series. It's great.

Absolutely agree on the Brian K Vaughn recommendations. Excellent series, both of them. I've read all of Y and the first 5 trades of Ex Machina before then jumping on board with the monthlies and it's excellent month in, month out. Another interesting books by BKV are the ones on his run on Runaways, a more superheroes type series with teens as the main actors.

Quote:
Other than the obvious and what's been mentioned above and earlier, I'd also recommend a couple of Warren Ellis books. "Fell" is fantastic. I just have the one trade paperback, but it's quite good. It's about a cop in this weird city. It's very stylistic, but quite good.

Again, GREAT book. Such a shame Ellis is not writing more of it though...

As for my reading nowadays, I've been on a huge manga run for almost the last three months.

In those three months, I've read the following, in this order:
Path of the Assassin, Sand and Flower (vol 2)
Naoki Urasawa's Monster, volume 6
Naoki Urasawa's 20th Century Boys, volume 1
Astro Boy, volume 3
Pluto: Urasawa x Tezuka, volume 1
Pluto: Urasawa x Tezuka, volume 2
Old Boy, volume 1
Old Boy, volume 2
Scott Pilgrim, Scott Pilgrim & the infinite sadness
Stupid Stupid Rat-Tails, a Bone tale
Usagi Yojimbo, volume 8
Scott Pilgrim, Scott Pilgrim gets it together
Scott Pilgrim, Scott Pilgrim vs the Universe
Robotika
Naoki Urasawa's 20th Century Boys, volume 2
Old Boy, volume 3
Old Boy, volume 4

I've really come to love Naoki Urasawa's work. Great storytelling, supsenseful, very well done. 20th Century Boys and Pluto: Urasa X Tezuka just started being released in English a few months back and I'm getting them as they come out. Old Boy is a pretty interesting story about a man who got locked up for 10 years. He has no idea who did it, didn't see the light of day, and one day they release him and he tries to find out who did it, who hated him enough to do that to him. Went through volume 3 and 4 almost in one sitting each.

I got tons of stuff I bought that I still need to read, not the least are Michael J. Straczynski's Midnight Nation (compete edition) and his Rising Stars Compendium, all 1080 pages of it. In my to read pile, I also have the second Powers hardcover, the 3rd Runaways hardcover, the 2nd Ultimates hardcover and a boxed set that includes the first three volume of Bone in color.

Sigh, I'm a compulsive buyer, which also explains my huge-ish pull list, which I won't list here...

FM
Old 05-27-2009, 09:10 AM   #288
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

dola,

Robotika is not a manga but it's a samurai story, a steampunk type samurai story. Gorgeous art and a great setting for the story. That book was the hardcover for the first 4 issues mini and they are setting up to start releasing the second mini, now that Archaia have cleaned up their act.

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 05-27-2009 at 09:10 AM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:22 AM   #289
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I loved "Runaways" as well. I've read the first two hardcovers and have the third one (written by Whedon) on my nightstand.

I've heard, however, that after Whedon's run some other author (or authors) took over and the quality of the book just completely tanked.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:33 AM   #290
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I loved "Runaways" as well. I've read the first two hardcovers and have the third one (written by Whedon) on my nightstand.

I've heard, however, that after Whedon's run some other author (or authors) took over and the quality of the book just completely tanked.

Wasn't the third HC still by BKV, then there was a smaller run by Whedon? My Runaways hardcovers are issues 1-12 of Runaways 1 by BKV, then a relaunch by BKV again with 1-12 in one hardcover and 13-24 in another, then followed by 25-30 by Whedon.

Terry Moore took over the series for what they called Runaways 3 and I subbed to it from the start but only made it one arc before dropping it. To say it tanked might be harsh but yeah, it wasn't as enjoyable of BKV's run...

Speaking of recommendations and of Terry Moore, I couldn't recommend Echo enough. It's about a girl who receives the fallout of the explosion of a nuclear suit and the suit sorta merges with her body, actually lives through her. It's really good, and Moore draws some pretty women.

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 05-27-2009 at 09:34 AM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:09 AM   #291
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

This thread's resurgance is very timely.

I just popped over to the local Borders here in downtown Detroit to pick up "Snow Crash" for my trip tomorrow. I knew this Borders was closing (the local Starbucks closed in October, downtown Detroit will soon lose the two things that made me feel like I was in an actual city), but I had no idea that everything was marked down 40%. They always have had a good comic book (trade papberack) selection and it did not disappoint.

In addition to "Snow Crash" (a novel) I bought the following TBPs:

Volumes 2-3 of "The Dark Tower" series (hardcover)
Volume 9 of "Walking Dead"
Volumes 3-4 of "Buffy: Season 8"
Volumes 2-6 of "Sandman"

I saved $80.

Woot!

Lady H_B, I'm sure, will be thrilled that her 35 year old husband just bought 10 more comic books.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:25 PM   #292
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Just finished Watchmen last night. I liked the beginning, the middle dragged, and I thought the last few chapters were great. It is definitely worth a re-read as there are tons of connections I missed the first time through. I have to see the movie now too.

I'm stuck in Glasgow for a few weeks now, so I have to wait a bit before I can get home and start reading some more. I should've brought Sandman with me....

I will definitely check out the other Vaughn series and Preacher intrigued me as well, although I don't have any yet. But unless Sandman completely enthralls me I see more Walking Dead and Y: The Last Man in my immediate future.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:55 PM   #293
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimperless View Post
Just finished Watchmen last night. I liked the beginning, the middle dragged, and I thought the last few chapters were great. It is definitely worth a re-read as there are tons of connections I missed the first time through. I have to see the movie now too.

I'm stuck in Glasgow for a few weeks now, so I have to wait a bit before I can get home and start reading some more. I should've brought Sandman with me....

I will definitely check out the other Vaughn series and Preacher intrigued me as well, although I don't have any yet. But unless Sandman completely enthralls me I see more Walking Dead and Y: The Last Man in my immediate future.

I just burned through the first 6 trade paperbacks of "Sandman" on my trip to Switzerland. It should enthrall you. It certainly did me. Some really great stuff. On the one hand, I feel bad I waited so long, on the other I'm very happy to know that there is still great stuff out there.

I will be buying the last 5 for certain.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:09 PM   #294
kurtism
High School Varsity

I've been a Gaiman/Sandman mark forever, and while I have all the collections (mostly in hardback), I have been very tempted by the Absolute collections - supposed to be absolutely gorgeous, and much higher quality. I have been grabbing the Starman Omnibus collections, and I love that format (plus, these actually have all the issues, a lot of the backmatter, and the Shade mini).
Old 10-07-2009, 02:57 PM   #295
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Great thread and since i am now getting knee deep back in to comics i figured i would see if any of you have used the Marvel digital comics service. I am not so much looking to collect so having a hard copy is not a big issue for me. Any reviews.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:05 PM   #296
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Okay quick question on the Supreme Powers/Squadron Supreme/Ultimate Power, where do i start?
Old 10-08-2009, 12:06 AM   #297
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Okay i took the plunge tonight and signed up for the Marvel Digital comics for one month to see how i like it. So far i will have to say it is very cool. To sign up for a full year is just under $60 which is far less than i would spend. I am not at the point where i need/want to start a collection like i did when i was younger so this might really work out well.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:57 AM   #298
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
Okay i took the plunge tonight and signed up for the Marvel Digital comics for one month to see how i like it. So far i will have to say it is very cool. To sign up for a full year is just under $60 which is far less than i would spend. I am not at the point where i need/want to start a collection like i did when i was younger so this might really work out well.

Can you tell me what you get with this?

Do you get digital access to their full library? Back issues and all? Is it just Marvel stuff or any of their properties? (I am not sure if Marvel owns any smaller publishers, like DC's Vertigo, for example.)
Old 10-08-2009, 08:04 AM   #299
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
Okay quick question on the Supreme Powers/Squadron Supreme/Ultimate Power, where do i start?

Supreme Power #1 is the starting point. Marvel put out a hardcover for the first 12 issues of Supreme Power. Well worth it.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:59 AM   #300
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I can tell you the digital comics has over 6000 titles. It is all Marvel stuff but i am not sure if they have some of the other properties they own. If you give some of the titles i can look them up.