Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-25-2010, 08:57 PM   #51
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
"landed" is used appropriately in my sentence. It's a big deal to "land" a terrific class. It's not a big deal to "land" a neutral site game on your schedule. All I was doing was pointing out the weird word choice, and noting that it was MBBF, further pointing out that he was painting that "achievement" in a rather hyperbolically positive manner.

So congrats on missing the point.

Let's see... you have made 4 posts in this thread. 3 were attempts to correct MBBF's grammar/word choice or to make fun of MBBF. One was to explain why you aren't obsessed with MBBF. Zero were any college basketball talk. I really guess I missed the point of your posts.

MBBF is a big boy so I will let it go and leave it to him but it just seems like an attempt to gain favor with everyone else by picking on MBBF. I guess it's the cool thing to do.

Last edited by panerd : 07-25-2010 at 09:00 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:08 PM   #52
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Let's see... you have made 4 posts in this thread. 3 were attempts to correct MBBF's grammar/word choice or to make fun of MBBF. One was to explain why you aren't obsessed with MBBF. Zero were any college basketball talk. I really guess I missed the point of your posts.

MBBF is a big boy so I will let it go and leave it to him but it just seems like an attempt to gain favor with everyone else by picking on MBBF. I guess it's the cool thing to do.

I was honestly confused by what MBBF had first posted regarding the Monday Night scheduling. I would have posted that no matter who posted it.

The third was about the use of the term "land". I think most rational people would question the word choice.

The last is a response to you and you completely missing the point. So maybe I am instead obsessed with you?

I would certainly challenge you to find a bunch of posts where I am "obsessed with MBBF" here at FOFC. By and large, I don't get involved in you guys measuring your dick size with the KU folk, much like you don't (and shouldn't) when the same occurs between UCLA and USC folk.

So, yes, you're entire read of me, my intentions and what I am doing is more or less completely off the mark. Congratulations on having the equivalent post comprehension/Internet tone reading as Stevie Wonder has for eyesight.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:38 PM   #53
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I think it is more when people go after him for semantics or grammar or just for being a big homer. KU and Mizzou are rivals so your banter doesn't bother me much (a little, because I hate KU ) but some of the other guys just seem to want to try and "nail" him on little shit and for that I like to throw it back in their face.

I do sometimes take it wrong as a slam on Mizzou instead of MBBF but I have to say that I agree with a lot of what he says. Of course I am also a big time homer! Defending the Quin Snyder era is probably one place where I won't post a whole lot.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with believing in your program. We're all guilty of it or else we wouldn't be fans.

IMO, there's nothing to defend on the Quin era. MU took a chance on a young coach from an elite program and it didn't work out. I just don't think it's fair that MBBF is claiming Roy Williams had something to do with the investigation when there is no proof of it aside from what the fiction he reads on the Tiger message boards.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:58 AM   #54
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
"landed" is used appropriately in my sentence. It's a big deal to "land" a terrific class. It's not a big deal to "land" a neutral site game on your schedule. All I was doing was pointing out the weird word choice, and noting that it was MBBF, further pointing out that he was painting that "achievement" in a rather hyperbolically positive manner.

So congrats on missing the point.

Edit: Forget it. It's just as useless as you arguing the value of the word landed.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-26-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:04 PM   #55
DataKing
Pro Rookie

A little more bling...

Kansas Basketball: Big 12 Championship Rings
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:02 AM   #56
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Another school gets probation. This time it's Arizona.

Arizona basketball placed on probation - UPI.com
Old 08-02-2010, 09:12 PM   #57
MrBug708
Head Coach

For the Missouri fans here, UCLA hires Tyus Edney as their director of basketball operations
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:35 PM   #58
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

2010 #1 recruit in the nation being checked for possible issues with amateur status........

Top-rated Kansas hoops recruit Selby still not cleared by NCAA - NCAA Division I Mens Basketball - CBSSports.com
Old 08-06-2010, 08:04 AM   #59
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Saw that Coach Spoonhour is pretty sick. He needs a lung transplant. Hoping for the best for him because he's a heckuva nice guy. Reportedly, he was able to get to the Duke hospital thanks to some phone calls by Coach Huggins and Coach K. Nice gesture by those guys.

Quote:
Former Billikens coach Charlie Spoonhour awaits lung transplant
KMOV.com
Posted on August 3, 2010 at 9:50 PM

(KMOV) – Former St. Louis University basketball coach Charlie Spoonhour is at the Duke University Hospital waiting for a lung transplant.

He says he began feeling sick about a month ago, and was diagnosed with a lung disease that requires a transplant.

He coached the Billikens for seven years in the 1990s, and he’s been an analys with the Missouri Valley Conference since 2005.

Spoonhour is 71 years old.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:24 PM   #60
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Top 2011 recruit Rakeem Christmas picks Syracuse

Published: Friday, August 06, 2010, 11:28 AM Updated: Friday, August 06, 2010, 12:03 PM

Trish LaMonte, syracuse.com
Follow
Share this story

Story tools

After making an unofficial visit to Syracuse University with 2011 commit Trevor Cooney last week, Rakeem Christmas announced his decision on Friday to join the Orange.
“I had a lot of great options, but I fell in love with Syracuse,” Christmas told Fox Sports' Jeff Goodman. “I know a lot of the guys on the team and that made a difference in my decision. I also felt that I could fit in well with their system.”

Christmas, who is 6-foot-9 and 230 pounds, is ranked on Scout and Rivals as the No. 1 center in the class of 2011 and is known for his shot-blocking skills.
According to Goodman, Christmas ultimately chose Syracuse over Georgetown and Florida International. At the beginning of July, Adam Zagoria reported that Christmas had narrowed his list down to Georgetown, Florida, Florida International, Texas and Oklahoma, with Rutgers trying to get in the mix.
But AAU Team Final teammate and SU commit Cooney told NBE Basketball reporter Alex Schwartz in July that he was working on getting Christmas to consider Syracuse.
Christmas, a native of St. Croix, has lived with his aunt in Philadelphia since eighth grade. His mother died of kidney failure when he was five-years-old.
“I trusted my aunt to help me through the process,” Christmas told Goodman. “My aunt is basically my mom now.”
Christmas, Cooney and fellow Orange commit Michael Carter-Williams are in Oregon this weekend competing in the Nike Global Challenge. Christmas was also selected this week to play in the Boost Mobile Elite 24 event, which is scheduled for August 27 and 28 at Venice Beach in Los Angeles.

Last edited by Chubby : 08-06-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #61
MrBug708
Head Coach

Holy formatting batman
Old 08-06-2010, 04:42 PM   #62
RainMaker
General Manager

This isn't really breaking news here in Chicago regarding Davis, but the Sun-Times has gone public with the amount of money it took for Kentucky to sign him.

Prep star at center of storm :: High School Sports :: YourSeason
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:42 PM   #63
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
This isn't really breaking news here in Chicago regarding Davis, but the Sun-Times has gone public with the amount of money it took for Kentucky to sign him.

Prep star at center of storm :: High School Sports :: YourSeason

There's some people that have a bone to pick with Calipari and they're airing the dirty laundry early and often in his latest coaching stop. He's going to be lucky to survive for four years before major sanctions hit the program.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:03 AM   #64
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
And my prediction for Iowa this season is 17-20 wins.

Just starting to read this thread now, but would be very curious to hear how many of those wins you see coming in conference play.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:25 AM   #65
hoopsguy
General Manager

If the price tag was 200K for Davis (or 125-150) then I wonder what it was for Wall, Kanter, Jones, and the other slew of top 10 guys that they have pulled for the last few classes.

Or maybe Calipari is really just this good a recruiter compared to everyone else in the NCAA ....
Old 08-07-2010, 09:39 AM   #66
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
If the price tag was 200K for Davis (or 125-150) then I wonder what it was for Wall, Kanter, Jones, and the other slew of top 10 guys that they have pulled for the last few classes.

Or maybe Calipari is really just this good a recruiter compared to everyone else in the NCAA ....

It is just a joke that this guy is still allowed in the NCAA. I was thinking about how this was probably WVU's best team in decades (and it may be decades again, before we are this good) and how pissed off I would have been if we had lost to Kentucky in the NCAA tourney, only to later find out (duh!) that they were cheating. It is a big FU to the rest of the teams/programs that compete against them and it is horrible to think of how many teams' seasons he has ruined by knocking them out of the tourneys with teams full of paid players that should not be allowed to compete.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:14 AM   #67
MrBug708
Head Coach

There really is only one that doesn't cheat in any way shape or form
Old 08-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #68
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post

I can't pretend to know whether or not Calipari is dirty or not, but it is kind of funny to see people gleefully post about his cheating escapades every time an unfounded claim in made. This is the third report this off-season and not a single one has had even the slightest shred of evidence to support the claim. With such an intense microscope on him, Calipari must be an evil genius to cheat so prolifically and never leave any evidence of wrongdoing to be discovered.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:06 PM   #69
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetPractice6 View Post
With such an intense microscope on him, Calipari must be an evil genius to cheat so prolifically and never leave any evidence of wrongdoing to be discovered.

Memphis and UMass fans would ask you why they both ended up on probation if there was 'no evidence of any wrongdoing to be discovered'.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:49 PM   #70
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Memphis and UMass fans would ask you why they both ended up on probation if there was 'no evidence of any wrongdoing to be discovered'.
Can your sources tell me what Calipari did wrong in either of those instances? NCAA investigators turned over every table at Memphis and the worst they found were women's golf violations.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #71
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Can your sources tell me what Calipari did wrong in either of those instances? NCAA investigators turned over every table at Memphis and the worst they found were women's golf violations.

You have Google. It's not hard to find. And why did they vacate the 2007-2008 season at Memphis if there were no violations?

Someone's wearing their blue-tinted glasses. I have little doubt that Calipari will leave UK with probation as well once he's done with that stint and has robbed that university of 20-30M.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-07-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #72
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
You have Google. It's not hard to find. And why did they vacate the 2007-2008 season at Memphis if there were no violations?

Someone's wearing their blue-tinted glasses. I have little doubt that Calipari will leave UK with probation as well once he's done with that stint and has robbed that university of 20-30M.
Try to grasp what I'm saying here before you start slinging around your claims of bias (imagine that from the biggest homer on this board). I said I don't know what Calipari is up to, but if he is as dirty as you like to claim it seems like something more serious would have been unearthed other than Derrick Rose fudging his SAT score before ever committing to Memphis. Again, Calipari was never implicated in the ordeal and the stiffest penalty included in the probation was the women's golf team losing five scholarships. I'm sure that's also Calipari's fault in your mind though.

I hope UK doesn't get any sort of probation (although I'd hardly call vacating wins "probation"), but I wouldn't be shocked if they do someday. When you're replacing 5+ players every year it only increases the chances of taking a kid with issues a la Rose. However, it's just comical to me that it only takes a ridiculous claim with no evidence to get Calipari detractors in such a tizzy.

Last edited by TargetPractice6 : 08-07-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:43 PM   #73
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Try to grasp what I'm saying here before you start slinging around your claims of bias (imagine that from the biggest homer on this board). I said I don't know what Calipari is up to, but if he is as dirty as you like to claim it seems like something more serious would have been unearthed other than Derrick Rose fudging his SAT score before ever committing to Memphis. Again, Calipari was never implicated in the ordeal and the stiffest penalty included in the probation was the women's golf team losing five scholarships. I'm sure that's also Calipari's fault in your mind though.

I hope UK doesn't get any sort of probation (although I'd hardly call vacating wins "probation"), but I wouldn't be shocked if they do someday. When you're replacing 5+ players every year it only increases the chances of taking a kid with issues a la Rose. However, it's just comical to me that it only takes a ridiculous claim with no evidence to get Calipari detractors in such a tizzy.

No one's getting in a tizzy. Guy is as slimy as there is in college sports. Just enjoy the ride and find something else to occupy your time when the violations start falling after he's gone. Blissfully ignorant of the situation is the best way to be a fan when Calipari is running your program.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:57 PM   #74
hoopsguy
General Manager

The Sun Times article linked above suggests that three different coaches substantiated the Davis payoff rumors.

I've had a chance to read up on this recruitment quite a bit over the summer since he is an in-state player. The word from very early on (after he exploded in summer camp scene) was that the family was looking to get paid.

Now I suppose you could say that is sour grapes coming from Illinois when they aren't able to get traction with an in-state kid, but it has been reported from multiple sources in multiple stories across multiple message boards for the past couple of months. This was before it was official that he was going to Kentucky.

Major newspapers (insert Chicago Sun Times punchline here) normally have a high enough standard for validating innuendo to not be frivolous in reporting this type of story. That type of grumbling is usually reserved for premium fan message boards. The fact that the Sun Times did not back down when confronted by Kentucky lawyers, but pushed forward with more stories and more details, suggests they feel like they have something here.

I'll agree that there is a fair amount of glee as people go to attack Calipari. I'm sure a lot of programs are sick of losing recruits to him (whatever the reasons may be) over the past few years.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #75
RainMaker
General Manager

Yeah, this isn't a breaking news story in Chicago. It's been known for awhile that the kid's Dad was seeking a good sum of money for a commitment.

I live blocks from DePaul and he was on campus a little while ago and from everyone I'm friends with who went there, they all had heard the same thing through the other alumni. Although they had told me the kid wanted 250k and Kentucky was willing to give him half.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:41 PM   #76
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

To be accurate the Sun Times did edit their original story to remove any reference to the Davis family being paid after UK threatened legal action. It was the following day the paper release the article that is linked in this thread. Also, I guess we might find out something definitive soon enough as the Davis family is planning on filing a lawsuit against the Sun-Times next week. If it goes to trial O'Brien might be forced to divulge who these anonymous coaches are.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #77
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
To be accurate the Sun Times did edit their original story to remove any reference to the Davis family being paid after UK threatened legal action. It was the following day the paper release the article that is linked in this thread. Also, I guess we might find out something definitive soon enough as the Davis family is planning on filing a lawsuit against the Sun-Times next week. If it goes to trial O'Brien might be forced to divulge who these anonymous coaches are.
A journalist would go to jail before divulging their sources.

And as I said, this is not some kind of big mystery. Everyone who follows high school hoops in Chicago knows about his Dad.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:19 PM   #78
Kodos
Resident Alien

Hopefully Peter Jurkin committing to Indiana opens the flood gates to other guys like Cody Zeller committing. Let's get some recruiting momentum going, Coach Crean!

Last edited by Kodos : 08-10-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:59 PM   #79
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
As TargetPractice pointed out, UMass was never on probation. Marcus Camby accepted money from an agent before the NCAA tournament, we were ordered to pay back the NCAA tournament money (which Camby repaid to/for us) and we have an asterisk next to our final four explaining it was officially "vacated".

2010-2011 UMass will be an interesting team. We have more talent than any time recently thanks to Kellogg as a recruiter and the DDM system, but I'm not sold on Kellogg as a gameday coach, or the DDM system as a gameplan. SO PF Terrell Vinson looked good last year, SO SG Freddie Riley can fill it up (and will need to, along with Anthony Gurley, to replace Ricky Harris) JR Sean Carter is a big rebounder underneath and SO SF-ish Javorn Farrell looked like a decent glue guy as well. RS FR Raphael Putney has drawn comparisons to a skinnier Marcus Camby, FR PG Daryl Traynham would supposedly have been a BCS recruit if he was even 1-2 inches taller than his 5'8 frame, FR PF Maxie Esho got some decent hype and Jesse Morgan (6'4 non-qualifier SG originally offered by UConn, Louisville, Seton Hall, etc) will be eligible after the first semester ends.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:02 PM   #80
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Oregon announced that their new arena will not be ready for the start of the season, so they'll be opening it in mid-January.

Pac-10 hasn't seen the last of Mac Court - College Basketball Nation Blog - ESPN
Old 08-12-2010, 08:32 AM   #81
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Sad to see this mess. The basketball court is under 8 feet of water at Hilton (Iowa State) due to flood waters.

Video of Hilton | Facebook

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-12-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #82
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Not surprising story here. I remember when Sean was on the sideline in cold sweats. Several of us watching him coach knew something was wrong.

Former Oklahoma State Cowboys coach Sean Sutton to plead guilty to drug charges - ESPN
Old 08-14-2010, 11:11 AM   #83
Ryno
H.S. Freshman Team

ESPN - Anthony Davis commits to Kentucky

So either Kentucky is completely innocent , or their arrogance seems to be approaching a USC level. It'll be interesting to see what the NCAA does now that they've increased the number of investigators to a whopping 6.
Ryno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #84
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Katz puts out his Top 25 list for the upcoming season.......

Andy Katz's Preseason Top 25: Defending champ Duke will start new season No. 1 - ESPN
Old 08-15-2010, 11:12 AM   #85
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Boy, it's been a rough summer for Lew Perkins. KC newspaper has uncovered excessive travel expenses including falsified expense reports that were reported as business trips but were actually personal trips. Lew claims it's just a misunderstanding, but there seems to be an increaseing amount of 'misunderstandings' as the IRS continues its investigation.

KU athletic director tallied big bill flying on private planes - KansasCity.com

http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2...filiate.81.pdf
Old 08-16-2010, 08:25 PM   #86
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
2010-2011 UMass will be an interesting team. We have more talent than any time recently thanks to Kellogg as a recruiter and the DDM system, but I'm not sold on Kellogg as a gameday coach, or the DDM system as a gameplan. SO PF Terrell Vinson looked good last year, SO SG Freddie Riley can fill it up (and will need to, along with Anthony Gurley, to replace Ricky Harris) JR Sean Carter is a big rebounder underneath and SO SF-ish Javorn Farrell looked like a decent glue guy as well. RS FR Raphael Putney has drawn comparisons to a skinnier Marcus Camby, FR PG Daryl Traynham would supposedly have been a BCS recruit if he was even 1-2 inches taller than his 5'8 frame, FR PF Maxie Esho got some decent hype and Jesse Morgan (6'4 non-qualifier SG originally offered by UConn, Louisville, Seton Hall, etc) will be eligible after the first semester ends.
UMass just picked up another BCS non-qualifier in C/PF Cady Lalanne (formerly of Georgia). Won't be eligible this year, but we need some size down the road.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:22 AM   #87
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Boy, it's been a rough summer for Lew Perkins. KC newspaper has uncovered excessive travel expenses including falsified expense reports that were reported as business trips but were actually personal trips. Lew claims it's just a misunderstanding, but there seems to be an increaseing amount of 'misunderstandings' as the IRS continues its investigation.

KU athletic director tallied big bill flying on private planes - KansasCity.com

http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2...filiate.81.pdf

The hilarious thing is that the KC Star actually has three reporters "investigating" this issue at Kansas. $150,000 in two years is a drop in the bucket for what Perkins has brought to Kansas. Sadly, this is what I have come to expect from the KC Star since Jason King left.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:58 AM   #88
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Hopefully Peter Jurkin committing to Indiana opens the flood gates to other guys like Cody Zeller committing. Let's get some recruiting momentum going, Coach Crean!

Ron Patterson is a very nice player to keep the momentum going. Scout has him #57, while rivals ranks him #65.

Coach Crean is starting to see some results!
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:18 PM   #89
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Memphis just got a huge boost for this season as the NCAA reversed ruling and declared Will Barton eligible.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:34 AM   #90
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
Memphis just got a huge boost for this season as the NCAA reversed ruling and declared Will Barton eligible.

Good news for Memphis and Barton. Pretty excited to see how this young Memphis squad does this season.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:17 AM   #91
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Ever since I read about him during U Arizona's '97'-98 run I've been impressed with Josh Pastner.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:51 PM   #92
Groundhog
Coordinator

"Aussie" (by way of Sudan) big Ater Majok has withdrawn from UConn, and it sounds like academics played a part in the decision from what I'm hearing. He certainly didn't live up to expectations in his one season, but UConn are real short on PF/Cs and he figured to get a bigger role this coming season.

Money played a big part in his incredibly uninformed decision to initially declare for the NBA this past draft before withdrawing his name, and I wonder if he'd even be able to get a contract in Europe at this stage. Even back home in Australia there just aren't any roster spots free unless he wants to take a Development Player spot on a team, which pays peanuts.

I had high hopes for him given what I'd seen of him prior to him heading to UConn, and it's a shame it didn't work out.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #93
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like Tony Mitchell won't be at Mizzou the first semester. Case is still being reviewed. They're looking to get him in for second semester this year. Per Coach Anderson:

Quote:
“Tony’s case with the NCAA Eligibility Center remains under review, as has been the case for quite some time. However with our fall enrollment deadline having passed; he will be unable to join our program at this time. We remain hopeful Tony will be able to join us at a point later in the season. With that being said, we are very excited about this team and look forward to the 2011 season.”
Old 09-02-2010, 01:18 PM   #94
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
"Aussie" (by way of Sudan) big Ater Majok has withdrawn from UConn, and it sounds like academics played a part in the decision from what I'm hearing. He certainly didn't live up to expectations in his one season, but UConn are real short on PF/Cs and he figured to get a bigger role this coming season.
I'm guessing the looming NCAA sanctions played a bigger part - UConn trying to distance themselves before the punishment is handed down. But I do admittedly hear things from an anti-Calhoun perspective.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:33 PM   #95
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Tennessee is gonna' be in some trouble. They received a Letter of Inquiry today and Pearl and most of the staff are each taking 25% pay cuts as well as Pearl is not allowed to recruit off campus all season. They hope these self imposed sanctions will be enough for the NCAA.

Looks like 3 of his assistants will also be banned from recruiting off campus this season.

Last edited by DeToxRox : 09-10-2010 at 02:35 PM.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:47 PM   #96
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Tennessee is gonna' be in some trouble. They received a Letter of Inquiry today and Pearl and most of the staff are each taking 25% pay cuts as well as Pearl is not allowed to recruit off campus all season. They hope these self imposed sanctions will be enough for the NCAA.

Looks like 3 of his assistants will also be banned from recruiting off campus this season.

Ouch. I had heard the NCAA was investigating them, but didn't know it was that serious.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:26 PM   #97
Izulde
Head Coach

I forgot to mention this, but I'm really excited about this Karam Mashour kid UNLV landed last month. He may play this year or he may be redshirted, but from what I've heard, he's got game. Originally from Israel and played for the Israeli U-18 national team. His uncle lives in Las Vegas, which was one of the big reasons why we landed him. Lot of BCS teams like Florida were trying to get him and we won out.

UNLV gains unique commitment from Israeli forward Karam Mashour - Las Vegas Sun

^-- Link to article.

I don't know if he's been cleared to play or not, but I hope he has.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:21 PM   #98
Swaggs
Coordinator

Damn... so, is that essentially no off campus recruiting for a year (Pearl + three assistants) or will they be able to send their director of basketball operations and non-bench assistants out?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:46 PM   #99
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Damn... so, is that essentially no off campus recruiting for a year (Pearl + three assistants) or will they be able to send their director of basketball operations and non-bench assistants out?

Sounds like they can send those guys out but that still hurts bad.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:52 PM   #100
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
Ouch. I had heard the NCAA was investigating them, but didn't know it was that serious.

It's bad. The lying is what's gonna get 'em killed, not the violations themselves.

Bruce fucked up, possibly very badly. He's lucky to have kept his job today, and I don't know that even that is an absolute certainty until after the NCAA investigation is complete (which won't be until sometime in early 2011 before the sanction phase is done).

I also think there's a pretty good chance that this will be what leads to AD Mike Hamilton's firing. The hiring of Pearl has already been the one "yeah but ..." he had to fall back on. Now even that is severely tarnished.