Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-11-2011, 04:59 PM   #2401
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

NCAA approves minimum score levels to qualify for NCAA tournament. Those that fall below the standard will not be given a bid even if they would otherwise have received one.

NCAA committee approves increase in APR cutline - ESPN
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #2402
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Michigan is a finalist for 2012 5* C Mitch McGary. I don't think we get him but a lot of other teams insiders are saying Michigan is surging big time and as of now his one OV is set up for Michigan's football opener vs WMU.

Beilein is really starting to hit his stride recruiting; 2012 is possibly shaping up to be his best class ever as Glenn Robinson III continues to blow up (Scout is mentioning him as a possible 5* now) and Nick Staukas is another kid blowing up and a consensus top 100 player. Getting a consensus top 10 kid in McGary would be beyond amazing but I'm satisfied with the haul so far. I won't get greedy.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #2403
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Texas? Why not Washington? or SDSU? Or MSU?

His list is UCLA, Kentucky, Memphis, UNLV, with Texas A&M getting a visit and Duke, Kansas, and Arizona as token mentions

I haven't been in Vegas the last three months so I'm far behind on recruiting news. I don't think he'll go to UNLV, but anything's possible.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:32 PM   #2404
rjolley
College Starter

Wait, back up. Glenn Robinson III as in the son of Glenn Robinson who starred at Purdue?
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:42 PM   #2405
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Wait, back up. Glenn Robinson III as in the son of Glenn Robinson who starred at Purdue?

Indeed it is.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:44 PM   #2406
rjolley
College Starter

Wow, did not know he had a kid that old.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:44 PM   #2407
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Michigan is looking at having the following NBA ties on their roster come 2012:

Glenn Robinson III
Tim Hardaway Jr
Jordan Dumars (Joe's son)
Jon Horford (Al's brother)
Old 08-11-2011, 09:45 PM   #2408
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Wow, did not know he had a kid that old.

Yeah, it's nuts. Glenn Robinson Jr is 38 I believe, so he had his kid at 21 or so.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #2409
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Vols senior Renaldo Woolridge says he's stepping away from his "SwiperBoy" rap alter ego. From the comments on the article he's catching flack from some of the village idots but afaic I appreciate & respect him addressing some pretty serious stuff. Whatever problems he was having, he got through 'em & if it was rapping that help then more power to him. One of the things that seems to get overlooked about depression is that if the triggers are real to you then so is the reaction (and the dangers that can bring). Whether he averages 20 ppg or 2 ppg in the upcoming season, I'd be proud to call RW a Vol4Life.

'Things like suicide, going insane' were blocked living as 'Swiper Boy' » GoVolsXtra
Old 08-16-2011, 06:22 PM   #2410
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

The investigation at Miami looks like it now includes the Miami basketball program and directly names current Missouri coach Frank Haith.

"Shapiro said he violated NCAA rules with the knowledge or direct participation of at least six coaches – Clint Hurtt, Jeff Stoutland and Aubrey Hill on the football staff, and Frank Haith, Jake Morton and Jorge Fernandez on the basketball staff. Multiple sources told Yahoo! Sports Shapiro also violated NCAA rules with football assistant Joe Pannunzio, although the booster refused to answer any questions about that relationship. Shapiro also named assistant football equipment manager Sean Allen as someone who engaged in rulebreaking, and equipment managers Ralph Nogueras and Joey Corey as witnesses to some of his impropriety."

http://sports.yahoo.com/investigatio...enefits_081611
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:46 PM   #2411
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
The investigation at Miami looks like it now includes the Miami basketball program and directly names current Missouri coach Frank Haith.

"Shapiro said he violated NCAA rules with the knowledge or direct participation of at least six coaches – Clint Hurtt, Jeff Stoutland and Aubrey Hill on the football staff, and Frank Haith, Jake Morton and Jorge Fernandez on the basketball staff. Multiple sources told Yahoo! Sports Shapiro also violated NCAA rules with football assistant Joe Pannunzio, although the booster refused to answer any questions about that relationship. Shapiro also named assistant football equipment manager Sean Allen as someone who engaged in rulebreaking, and equipment managers Ralph Nogueras and Joey Corey as witnesses to some of his impropriety."

http://sports.yahoo.com/investigatio...enefits_081611

NCAA Investigation: Miami is now on the clock - Front Office Football Central
Old 08-16-2011, 06:52 PM   #2412
Logan
Head Coach

NCAA Investigation: Missouri is now on the clock - Front Office Football Central
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:51 PM   #2413
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Just shocked you hadn't chimed in yet MBBF given Haith's alleged involvement.

Also saw these responses from Missouri and Frank Haith. Sounds like Frank has been keeping a few secrets from the Missouri athletic department.

Missouri's initial response to the allegations: Yahoo! Sports sought comment through the University of Missouri sports information department. “Those things that are coming out with football didn’t have anything to do with Frank’s basketball program,” Missouri spokesman Dave Reiter said. “I would say you would probably need to talk to the University of Miami if something happened on his watch. We had a chance to talk to Coach Haith and he’s had no involvement with this Mr. Shapiro guy. There’s nothing. Those are all football violations and allegations. There’s nothing dealing with basketball. Those violations have nothing involved with men’s basketball.’’

vs Missouri's current response: We are aware of today’s Yahoo! Sports story and the University of Missouri acknowledges that the NCAA has requested to speak with Coach Haith regarding his time at the University of Miami. As a member of the NCAA and the Big 12 Conference, the University of Missouri will cooperate fully throughout this process. Per the NCAA’s request and guiding bylaws, we are unable to comment further in order to protect the integrity of their review.

Frank Haith's current response: In response to a recent news article, I can confirm that the NCAA has asked to speak with me regarding the time I spent at the University of Miami. I am more than happy to cooperate with the national office on this issue and look forward to a quick resolution. The NCAA has instructed me not to comment further at this time in order to protect the integrity of their review, so I appreciate your understanding in this matter. The reports questioning my personal interactions with Mr. Shapiro are not an accurate portrayal of my character and per the above I am unable to comment further.

Last edited by the_meanstrosity : 08-16-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #2414
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Just shocked you hadn't chimed in yet MBBF given Haith's alleged involvement.

Not much to chime in on yet. An accusation by a convicted felon isn't exactly firm information, but I'm certainly one that has noted the rampant cheating in the Southeast schools. We'll see what happens. If it's fully proven, Mizzou likely has the ability to toss Haith. But I have my doubts that the NCAA will be able to do that.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:13 PM   #2415
Swaggs
Coordinator

Haith will be retired by the time the NCAA figures anything out.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:17 PM   #2416
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Not much to chime in on yet. An accusation by a convicted felon isn't exactly firm information, but I'm certainly one that has noted the rampant cheating in the Southeast schools. We'll see what happens. If it's fully proven, Mizzou likely has the ability to toss Haith. But I have my doubts that the NCAA will be able to do that.

You've chimed in on other schools for much less.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #2417
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
You've chimed in on other schools for much less.

I'll leave it to the fan of one of the most penalized programs of all time to pass judgment.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:47 PM   #2418
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I'll leave it to the fan of one of the most penalized programs of all time to pass judgment.

I was passing judgment? If anything, I put this on all Frank Haith and obviously not on Missouri since they are simply a victim of Haith's alleged actions at Miami.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:46 PM   #2419
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Holy chit!

Big fight in China with the Hoyas.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/fight-ends-georgetown-basketball-exhibition-in-china/2011/08/18/gIQAs1zeNJ_story.html?hpid=z2
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:50 PM   #2420
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm rather amazed that ESPN chose to let what appears to be a Chinese-American blogger post what came off as an apologetic piece for a Chinese team that is apparently well known for starting these kinds of brawls against international opponents.

Never mind his attitude for a second, the post itself is just incredibly poorly written, meandering all over the place. But then to refer to it as the "Georgetown brawl" and fawn over the importance of China to U.S. college basketball ... WTF ESPN, did the entire editorial staff doze off & leave this kid with the keys to the computer?
Georgetown brawl in China a sad episode - College Basketball Nation Blog - ESPN
Old 08-18-2011, 10:56 PM   #2421
Radii
Head Coach

Here's Video Of The Georgetown-China On-Court Fight

and video of the fight is there, pretty fucking disgusting. 20-25s in... just wow...
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:59 PM   #2422
kingfc22
Head Coach

It's pretty clear who started the brawl after watching the video. There's at least 7 members of the Chinese team on the floor before a second GTown player gets into the melee.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:45 PM   #2423
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'm rather amazed that ESPN chose to let what appears to be a Chinese-American blogger post what came off as an apologetic piece for a Chinese team that is apparently well known for starting these kinds of brawls against international opponents.

Never mind his attitude for a second, the post itself is just incredibly poorly written, meandering all over the place. But then to refer to it as the "Georgetown brawl" and fawn over the importance of China to U.S. college basketball ... WTF ESPN, did the entire editorial staff doze off & leave this kid with the keys to the computer?
Georgetown brawl in China a sad episode - College Basketball Nation Blog - ESPN

Seriously?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:51 PM   #2424
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Seriously?

Seems liked a guaranteed shitstorm to follow (and the initial reader comments certainly don't disappoint in that regard).

The atrocious writing is grounds enough to fire the guy afaic, but under the circumstances that sort of slanted post is at least worth a suspension.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:34 PM   #2425
Swaggs
Coordinator

Big man Andre Drummond, one of (if not THE) top 2012 prospects, reclassified from 2012 and enrolled at UConn. The rich get richer.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #2426
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Mizzou got a nice hometown pickup today. Travis Jorgenson (2013 PG) committed to Mizzou. He's been climbing the rankings of late. Love to have the in-state kids on board.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-01-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #2427
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Sam Dekker is the same way for the Badgers, MBBF>
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #2428
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
Sam Dekker is the same way for the Badgers, MBBF>

Yep, same kind of deal. I'm glad Mizzou finally offered because KU started showing interest. We don't need him defecting like that.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:38 PM   #2429
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Yep, same kind of deal. I'm glad Mizzou finally offered because KU started showing interest. We don't need him defecting like that.

Isn't Jorgenson a pretty big Kansas fan already?
Old 09-02-2011, 02:53 PM   #2430
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Isn't Jorgenson a pretty big Kansas fan already?

Being a fan is one thing. Playing on the wrong side of the border is another thing entirely.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #2431
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Being a fan is one thing. Playing on the wrong side of the border is another thing entirely.

I don't think Missouri has anything to worry about from Kansas. Kansas already has a commitment from combo guard Connor Frankamp.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #2432
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I don't think Missouri has anything to worry about from Kansas. Kansas already has a commitment from combo guard Connor Frankamp.

The Frankamp situation had nothing to do with Travis. He still had an offer on the table from KU.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #2433
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
The Frankamp situation had nothing to do with Travis. He still had an offer on the table from KU.

Where did you hear Jorgenson has an offer on the table? I follow KU basketball recruiting pretty closely and thus far Jorgenson has not been offered. Rivals doesn't even show him with an offer from Kansas. So I'm pretty certain that Jorgenson has no offer from Kansas. Frankamp takes up the combo guard slot for 2013. I don't see Kansas sending an offer to Jorgenson at this point in time.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #2434
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Very much so. Very good man does not always equal very good coach. Pretty blah feeling about GT basketball right now, and I've held some glimmer of hope probably every season since I really started watching in the Price/Salley years.

And 4 years later JiMGA and I were spot on here. My pretty blah feelings have gone to "who the hell are these guys in GT uniforms?" No idea who is up next but I suspect the next year or so won't be all that fun to watch.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:26 PM   #2435
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Gregory had a 7:30 players-only meeting, then announced that he was taking the job.

He leaves the right way, frankly.

Say what you will about his coaching ability, but Brian Gregory the man was a fantastic representative in the community for the University of Dayton, always graduated all of his players, was a tireless recruiter, and ran the program the right way.

It just so happens the right way seemed to not develop players, and tank in the conference season.

UD will wish him well and look forward to a new dawn of Flyer basketball... one that includes more NCAA appearances than NIT ones.

I really hope Gregory succeeds as the GT coach. I genuinely like the man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
University of Dayton hires former NC State point guard, and current Arizona assistant coach Archie Miller to be their 6th head coach in the last 60 years.

Archie Miller is Sean's brother, and UD fans are pretty happy about this hire. The guy looks like he is about 20 years old, but with Sean's track record and the early talk about his style of play, I think it was a good hire and the message boards seem pretty happy about it with about 90% of boarders giving it an A or B.

UD as a stepping stone to a major conference job... it has worked for Xavier and frankly that continues to be the model team that we have been trying to emulate without success for 15 years now. Looking forward to seeing what he can do with the talent we have left... frankly, if we have enough success that in 2-3 years Archie is moving on, that means we have had some tournament success that we haven't had since 1984.

That said, I would MUCH rather have Archie Miller than Frank Haith. Jesus, what a horrible hire that guy is.

Sad that Gregory has not worked out at GT. But Good Lord Sweet Baby Jesus am I glad he is gone from Dayton. Miller has worked out much as all Flyer fans had hoped. He is a baby-faced assassin who is poised to have his team in NCAAs in consecutive years which has only happened at UD 4 times in 45 years. They just have to avoid the A10 QF loss on Friday.

And Archie did it this year while losing a backup point guard to concussions (he called it a career), both centers to theft issues, a 3rd center to academics (he's a partial qualifier), and a power forward to... well, we're still not sure but this JUCO transfer is rumored to have not cut it academically also.

Name another team that could lose 5 expected contributors... not just bench filler, but contributors... and could still expect to be in the tourney. There aren't many.

Archie does still have some work to do on identifying red flags, clearly though... but it's worked out this year somehow.

Archie probably will be moving on, especially if some nearby big school comes calling, like Indiana or Pitt... or if NC State has decided they've had enough of Gottfried.

Glad also to note that I was right about Frank Haith.

Last edited by Butter : 03-10-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:39 PM   #2436
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Odds are quite good that Gott will still be here. This will be the first year in his tenure that State is rather firmly in the field without having to win a few games in the ACC tournament first. People aren't ecstatic about him, but he's getting the job done at the moment. As long as Gott keeps things at a .500 or more level in the ACC (especially now with as heavy as it is at the top) he should be relatively safe. Beating Duke and UNC this year certainly helped his stock a bit as well. Miller may end up at State at some point, but I think he'll be going somewhere else first before that happens.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:56 PM   #2437
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Miller to Indiana seems likely.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:58 PM   #2438
PilotMan
Head Coach

Damn that game gave me a heart attack! NDSU v SDSU that is.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 03-10-2015 at 09:58 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:37 PM   #2439
JSmith44
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Damn that game gave me a heart attack! NDSU v SDSU that is.

Yes, they had to hold on at the end there. Nice to see them back in the dance when not many really expected much this year.
JSmith44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:38 AM   #2440
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Miller to Indiana seems likely.

Sounds like a couple things have to happen first:

1. Indiana agrees to some kind of buyout with Tom Crean that is much less than $12 million.

2. Brad Stevens turns the job down.

3. Other coaches with a pedigree (like Gregg Marshall and Billy Donovan) turn the job down.

I think it may well happen, but I can certainly see why Archie is not #1 on the list. Frankly, I hope Archie waits it out at UD for a super-job and doesn't step up from us to a middling high-major job. Because other than the conference affiliation, UD is better than 90% of those jobs.