Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-06-2015, 10:13 AM   #1
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Getting into a fight

Went to a Bob Seger concert last night and came as close as I've ever been in my adult life to a fight.

There's six of us: my best friend Travis, the lead guitar player in my band Ed and his wife Deb, my mom, my girlfriend and I. We've got six seats in a row, 1-6. I'm sitting in 6, my girlfriend next to me in five and my mom in four. Not quite halfway through the concert, seats 1-3 get up to use the restroom. Less than a minute later, three random dudes somewhere between their late twenties to mid thirties (so around my age, probably a little younger), snag the seats. My mom (sitting immediately adjacent to them) leans over and explains to them that our friends are coming back and they can't sit there. They blow her off and continue to sit there. I give it a minute to see if they'll move, and they don't.

I stand up, shimmy left in front of my girlfriend and mom and tell them they need to move. Seats one and two get up immediately, but three isn't moving. I more forcefully (and much less politely) tell him he needs to get up. He responds "hey man, all you gotta do is ask." To which I, now beginning to get upset, tell him "I'm not asking you, I'm telling you." His friends pull him away and they leave. I can already tell that he is spoiling for a fight.

About a minute later, I can feel him staring daggers at me. He has appropriated the seat directly behind me. He stares at me the remainder of the concert, a good hour and a half. We all get up to leave, and as I go up one step on the aisle, he runs over and intentionally dumps a full beer onto me, chest bumping me in the process.

Well - most of a beer. Seeing it coming, I was able to grab his hand and get most of it onto the ground rather than me. I shoved him back, told him to get bent, and my best friend started to "hold me back," although I was making no move toward the guy - who is now shouting "do you want to take this outside?!"

We let him go up the stairs, where he's waiting on the landing to do some more chest bumping and "let's take it outside" -ing, at which point the rest of our group can see what's going on. I'm not about to gratify this guy with the fight he wants so badly, but I'm also not backing down. My mom IMMEDIATELY gets right in his face and we have to start holding HER back. Which is great because she's five feet tall in a good day, and while this guy is considerably shorter than my 5'10", he's got a few inches on her at least.

He's got no idea what to do about this woman coming after him, so he starts wandering away. I tell both Ed and Travis to let him go (they were starting to get involved, this all took about three seconds on the landing), and we hung out for a while to ensure that he had gone. We then leave to no incident, laughing about the absurdity of this guy.

So, what's the closest you've been to a fight? Or the best fight you've gotten into, if it got more than close?

Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:18 AM   #2
Grover
Pro Starter

Your mom is awesome.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:19 AM   #3
molson
General Manager

You're lucky you brought your mom to the Bob Seger concert.

That's a fascinating sentence, but completely true here.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:21 AM   #4
Grover
Pro Starter

I've been in one 'fight.' I was 12 years old and was picked on mercilessly in middle school because I had food/eating issues. One morning before classes I was at a desk in the back of room while three other kids continued their fantastic streak of bullying me. I had finally had enough, stood up from the desk and punched one of the kids square in the mouth. I've still got a scar on a knuckle from connecting with his braces. It was one of the most gratifying feelings I've ever felt in my life. The kid was so stunned by the punch, as were his friends that I was able to get away before taking any shots myself.

We were dragged to the principal's office and sent home for the day. I called my mother for a ride home, she told me to walk the 2+ miles. So I called my Nana, who immediately came and picked me up, congratulated me for standing up for myself. We got ice cream and she bought me a Lego set.

Ah the halcyon days of youth...

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:28 AM   #5
revrew
Team Chaplain

Do playground fights count?

Inflamed with a sense of childlike chivalry, I got sick and tired of a bully about 6 inches taller than me picking on a neighborhood girl. She was a pretty little thing, but her family was dirt poor, and her hair and clothes were never well cared for. The guy was giving her crap, and she was starting to cry. I was probably 8.

I ran at the guy at full speed, screaming like a maniac about how I was going to beat the crap out of him. I'm not sure if he turned to run, or fell over from shock, but he toppled to the ground, and I got on top of him, knees on his chest, my little fists raised menacingly over his face.

I yelled at him that he had no business picking on girls, and if he did it again, he'd have to answer to me. He buckled quickly and promised never to do it again.

In hindsight, it was probably a funny thing to see, but at the time, I became the shining knight for all the little ladies on the playground.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:55 AM   #6
Desnudo
Coordinator

I've been in one adult fight outside a bar in Chicago about 15 years ago. Similar type of thing to your situation, about five to six people total. My main memory is my boss at the time gong to town on someone. I mainly arm danced with some guy who didn't want to fight any more than I did. Drunk people, who knows why.

Since then I've tried to avoid fights at all costs. I think the risk of either serious injury and arrest and incarceration far outweighs the ego hit of walking away. Plus you never know what the guy you're thinking about fighting is capable of / carrying.

Last edited by Desnudo : 03-06-2015 at 10:56 AM.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:36 AM   #7
britrock88
Pro Starter

Nothing close to a physical altercation since elementary school (then, there were 3 of us that would just pick on each other, which worked out fine... except that the 3 of us were 1) the assistant principal's kid, 2) a pastor's kid, and 3) the kid of 2 psychologists. Heh.).
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:51 AM   #8
lungs
Pro Rookie

Nothing since college, and that was usually my friends involved in some brouhaha, not me.

One of my favorite college incidents was when a couple of out of towners came to a kegger thrown by the rugby players. Towards the end of the night these two guys came up to me and blatantly dumped a beer on my head. Mind you, these were not small fellows, they would've pounded me up pretty good. So I simply asked them why they dumped a beer on my head? There response was "What are you going to do about it?"

I just kind of chuckled. Being friends with several rugby players, they were always itching for a fight. I had one standing next to me when this happened and pretty soon the whole team was ready to throw down. Those two pecker heads that dumped the beer on me couldn't have left that house any faster.

Sidenote, one of the rugby players that came to my aid got into a street fight with the Mayor of my small college town the year before. The Mayor ended up getting charged for the brawl, creating some good small town controversy.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:33 PM   #9
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Closest I came to a fight as an adult was when I was tagging along with a roommate to a party. He was a DJ at the local strip club and had been invited to one of the dancers houses for a get together with a lively bunch of marines and cholos. So, me being my shy and quiet self, I am chilling on the side in the back yard with my DJ friend and chatting with a couple of the dancers out there when he says something hilarious and I crack up hard. Well, I just happened to laugh right as this self conscious cholo was walking by to go into the party.. He turns and threatens to go get his knife and come back and stab me for laughing at him. We all looks befuddled as if to say "What did he just say?" but we blow it off, because he is obviously a little wasted and he just kept walking inside anyway. Maybe an hour later, I notice he is coming back around the same side of the house he originally entered from, and he has a buddy tagging along and has his hand in his pocket staring me down. I was a little apprehensive and probably should have been more scared, but I knew I wasn't laughing at him, so when he approached and began to threaten and intimidate I just told him I wasn't laughing at him. He confirmed it with the crowd and that diffused the situation.

It was weird. It wouldn't have been much of a fight if something did go down, I would have probably been stabbed and gone to the hospital, and he would have probably been mobbed by a group of marines. Thankfully none of that happened, and he and I actually spoke a bit later in the evening and had a little laugh about it all.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:56 PM   #10
Subby
lolzcat

Please tell me someone in this story has a mullet.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 03:16 PM   #11
MacroGuru
Coordinator

About 2 weeks agov (First time in 22 years)...not proud of it. It was 4 years of anger and shit boiling up over the way the Exes boyfriend treats my kids and deals with me.

He got into my face and was talking a lot of shit, about me, my family, everything. I finally get to the point I had enough, told him exactly what I thought of him, what my kids thought of him and what my ex thinks of him.

He got pissed, pushed me and called me a molester, knowing that would light my fuse.

He was grabbed by the throat by me, slammed into the wall and I punched him several times. He tried to wrestle with me and I just tossed him around like a rag doll and kept punching, finally my two oldest stepped into it and asked me to stop.

Cops were called and the way he acted and the verification of the story of him pushing me and threatening me had the cops brow beating him and begging my ex to have him arrested. The 1st officer on the scene came out to talk to me and called him a douchebag and said he probably would have done the same thing I did, especially seeing how mouthy he was to the cops.

I spent the next night explaining to the kids that I was in the wrong and shouldn't have done it. Then my 14 year old said, "Dad, you have to admit, it probably felt good." I told him that was besides the point, I shouldnt have done it.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:04 PM   #12
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Your mom is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
You're lucky you brought your mom to the Bob Seger concert.

That's a fascinating sentence, but completely true here.

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Please tell me someone in this story has a mullet.

Male pattern baldness with longer than shoulder length hair count?

---

I've been irritated about this whole experience all day. No matter how many different permutations of the event I run through my mind, there is no better end to the scenario than what happened. There is a small part of me that wonders if I'd feel better if there had been a fight, regardless of the outcome of said potential fight.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:11 PM   #13
Izulde
Head Coach

Hmm. Adult fights? Not as such, though I physically removed dumbasses from house parties a few times.

Got into a few fights in elementary school, middle school and high school, and I actually really enjoyed fighting. Surprised I didn't end up getting into more.

Best fight was probably 5th grade. Kid had been picking on me since the start of the year, so round about November, I think it was, I got so sick of his shit, I slammed him into the locker and proceeded to punch the hell out of him. Then the teacher caught us and we both got blue slips. Kid was so stunned that I actually went after him, he didn't even fight back. He also never said boo to me the rest of the year.

Worst one was I was 8 or 9. I was at the arcade in Sam's Town in Las Vegas. There was a fight starting between a group of teenagers, and I stepped in to stop it. Cue me getting thrown into a machine and kicked and punched, the new deck of playing cards I just bought ripped out of the box, scattered everywhere, and stomped on.

My mom came running over and the teenagers scattered. I'll never forget the one kid, though. He was about 12 and he stuck around to help me up and try to pick up my cards. He also explained to my mom what happened, since I was too shook up to.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:16 PM   #14
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Oddly (or not) enough, the two closest incidents in recent years (okay, there's one other) both involved secondary sports at UGA.

The first a UT-UGA women's basketball game, with a 60 something year old man who, bless his heart, I suspect has taken many an ass whipping due to the mouth on his wife. That is probably all that prevented things from escalating. Three physical contacts, I finally just explained that if there was a fourth that he wouldn't see his grandchildren grow up. He opted to de-esclate on that note.

The second, possibly closer really, involved drunk college boys throwing chewing gum at my dad at a GT-UGA baseball game. My bleeds-red-and-black brother-in-law wanted them badly, we basically decided to send them off with their tail between their legs with a simple show of casual disinterest. As in "if you don't disappear, this won't end well". They finally broke into a run as we just happened to end up exiting the stadium behind them.

In both cases, I gave site security / campus police ample opportunity to handle things first. At b'ball, they came by to "chat" with the older couple & convinced them that it was in everyone's best interest for them to sit elsewhere for the rest of the night. At baseball, the conversation was more interesting: "there's 3,000 people here, we have two officers in the stadium. If they do anything else then TRY to give me the high sign & I'll try to help. Otherwise, if it takes too long, do what you have to & we'll straighten them out later"

The third? That's an asshat teacher at son's school. If you outweigh me by 50 pounds & have 3-4 inches on me, approaching aggressively, I really don't have a problem with a plan that involves using your size & a little leverage to dump you out the window of the press box. Someone stepped in between & re-routed him, otherwise I'd have had zero problem with him having a little "fall".

{shrug} It's unpleasant, but there are situations that can arise unexpectedly that you have to react to with the best means available. That may sometimes involved a bruised knuckle or whatever.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:23 PM   #15
booradley
High School Varsity

Man oh man - I've been in a lot. 20 maybe? Most involved sports, especially pickup basketball games.

Worst was at VMI, when my entire 1st year class (the "Rats") got into a lengthy brawl with the senior cadets over a prank we pulled. Pretty bad - one Rat was seriously hurt and hospitalized. Another was hung by his heels over the railing of the 4th stoop in barracks. My personal misfortune involved having my hat -which contained all my little possessions as our cadet uniforms didn't have pockets - being chucked all the down into the courtyard from the 4th stoop. My money, Rat Bible, letter from my gf - all kinds of stuff just went flying everywhere. Probably lost about $80 in that little altercation.

Don't know why I got into so many scraps. I was never a jerk or anything (well, maybe a little, tee hee) but a genetic disability to back down from anyone ever sure landed me in hot water time and again ...
Old 03-06-2015, 05:26 PM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I actually had another point I mean to make so ...

it's really amazing how, after a certain point in life at least, how few fights eventually occur if you just bring along a relatively quiet determination & maybe a well-timed comment that brings home the reality of the situation to your opposite number.

It's not foolproof of course -- and never fight a drunk you're aren't willing to kill, 'cause you don't know what his intentions may be in his altered state -- but on the whole those two things tend to prevent most situations from reaching that one extra step.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-06-2015 at 06:34 PM. Reason: fixed typo
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:52 PM   #17
path12
Coordinator

Last fight was a bar fight years ago when I was probably in my mid-twenties.

But I'm fairly large and have kind of an unfriendly natural expression. I think that helps deter provocation.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:47 PM   #18
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I got in a scrap in a sponge hockey game a few years back. Some a-hole on the other team kept running our goalie, who happened to be my brother, and the ref kept letting it go. After the third or fourth time my brother was winding up to two-hand him with his goal stick as I ran towards the crease so I just ran right through the dude instead and put him down. He didn't know the two-hander was coming and instead just knew he got laid out so he was pretty pissed, came up swinging. As I moved in to throw back my wife (this is all co-ed which makes it even more funny) grabbed my arms to 'hold me back' but instead just made me defenseless and he landed a couple direct shots to my face before others got there and pulled everyone apart.

We both got thrown out and they tossed us into the clubhouse in adjoining dressing rooms. He kept yelling shit from his side but by then I was wise enough to just keep my mouth shut. Eventually he cooled down, our teams came back, and that was that aside from the suspensions we each got.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."

Last edited by Fidatelo : 03-06-2015 at 11:47 PM.
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:40 AM   #19
SackAttack
Head Coach

Last time anybody picked a fight with me, I was 11. It wasn't much of a fight - we only threw one punch, each - but he never showed his face around me again. Whether that was out of 'oh shit he's not a pushover' or the principal putting the fear of God into that kid regarding what would happen if he picked any more fights, I can't say.

Within three years I was 6'2", so there really wasn't anybody large enough to try to throw their weight around at me in junior high or high school. Had an adult threaten to 'kick my teeth in' when I was umpiring youth baseball, but I just ejected him from the complex. He's literally the only person in 21 years to even hint at starting something.

I've walked through some bad parts of downtown LA at 2 am unmolested, and I honestly have no explanation for that.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:00 AM   #20
BYU 14
Coordinator

Been in one fight since my mid 20's and that was about 12 years back at age 40. My wife and I had been dating about a year and were at a club when some guy around my age tried to hit on her as she came back to our table from the bathroom.

No big deal, it happens and she handled it, and usually guys are classy enough to back off when a woman tells them she is taken. I noticed this guy was just staring at her a few times when we were out dancing with a smirk on his face. Again, no big deal, just a douchebag. We went to leave about 12:45 and had to walk past this guys table where he had been sitting with his buddy. As we went by, I happened to glance back at him as we passed in time to see him reach for her ass.

That was pretty much the last straw, so after exchanging some choice words, he makes a slur and tells me he didn't want her anyway, WTF? This club had bouncers, so I firmly grabbed the back of his neck and told him we were going to go out around the back of the building to finish our talk. I start walking out, he gets up and coldcocks me from behind (which left me with a black eye), I hit him three times knocking him back into his table, he stumbled back at me with his head down, I got him in a standing guillotine choke and fully intended on rendering the fucker unconscious, at which point the bouncers intervened and he still almost went out before they pried me loose.

After I explained what happened they made us wait, took him and his buddy to their car and let us go after they drove off. I was still seething and spent the next 20 minutes driving around trying to find this guys car, before I finally calmed down enough to let it go. Probably as mad as I have been in my adult life. I really detest violence now, but even thinking about this again pisses me off because, he was one guy that deserved to get his ass beat and I didn't get to complete it.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 03-07-2015 at 06:01 AM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote