Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-10-2020, 04:17 PM   #201
whomario
Pro Starter

If it all happens, next years schedule will be brutal. Bundesliga starts a month later but finishes the same + a couple UEL/UCL participants still matches outstanding before the break + extra National team fixtures.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:42 AM   #202
miami_fan
Coordinator

For about five seconds, I found myself trying to judge whether the Norwich player was hurting enough by the club’s relegation. What the hell is wrong with me and who can I blame for influencing me to this asinine way of thinking?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 03:46 PM   #203
miami_fan
Coordinator

How is everyone liking the pandemic rule changes. It sounds like they are going to continue having five subs through next season at the least. I am neutral on that one. I have no interest in the water break at all but the coaching break that it has become is starting to grow on me.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 07-11-2020, 04:09 PM   #204
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
How is everyone liking the pandemic rule changes. It sounds like they are going to continue having five subs through next season at the least. I am neutral on that one. I have no interest in the water break at all but the coaching break that it has become is starting to grow on me.
They're going to need it all across the globe, but especially with clubs that are supposed to play in the UEFA competitions and with players that are going to play in Euro2020 in summer 2021.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:58 PM   #205
AlexB
Pro Starter

Benefits the bigger clubs, why wouldn’t UEFA want it to be permanent.

I don’t mind the coaching aspect of the water break, but the extra subs is just another step towards a European elite
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:47 PM   #206
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I have a sneaking suspicion they'll both be permanent.

Watching MLS is Back tournament and damn, everyone is rusty (well aside from Red Bull NY apparently, which was just Atlanta's luck) , which is compounded by playing in Orlando in July.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:21 AM   #207
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Somebody explain how the CP goal that was overturned by VAR was clear and erroneous? The technology is no good if it isn't utilized properly.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:52 AM   #208
miami_fan
Coordinator

Manchester City escape Champions League ban after CAS appeal

FFP is done now right?
Old 07-13-2020, 09:02 PM   #209
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am so here for the post match interview of Adebayo Akinfenwa after the English League One playoff final.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:45 AM   #210
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
The UEFA must have done a terrible job and made a disastrous bad case here. Manchester City was the second most obvious case that should have resulted in punishment, this was supposed to be a no-brainer.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:09 PM   #211
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
FFP is done now right?

Only if Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Inter Milan, AC Milan, Juventus, and the rest of the G-14 say so.

I miss the days when only the best of the best and the white of the white could spend money and compete!

PlayerPostionYearAdjusted fee
Zinedine ZidaneM2001328
Luís FigoM2000284
Hernán CrespoF2000268
NeymarF2017261
Christian VieriF1999230
Gianluigi BuffonG2001220
Cristiano RonaldoF2009209
Gaizka MendietaM2001187
Lilian ThuramD2001175
Juan Sebastián VerónM2001166
Rio FerdinandD2002166
Rui CostaM2001164
Ronaldo (Brazil)F2002162
Zlatan IbrahimovicF2009155
Gareth BaleF2013152
KakáF2009149
Kylian MbappéF2018146
Paul PogbaM2016134
Philippe CoutinhoF2018130
Ousmane DembéléF2017123
Luis SuárezF2014123
Andrii ShevchenkoF2007115
Gonzalo HiguaínF2016114
James RodríguezM2014113
Ángel Di MaríaM2014113
Fernando TorresF2011112
Cristiano RonaldoF2018108
Edinson CavaniF2013104
Belgium Kevin De BruyneM2015103
Eden HazardF2019100
Romelu LukakuF2017100
Radamel FalcaoF201397
RobinhoF200996
NeymarF201392
Virgil van DijkD201892
Ángel Di MaríaM201588
Kepa ArrizabalagaG201887
Raheem SterlingF201586
Andy CarrollF201084
David LuizD201484
Lucas HernandezD201980
Álvaro MorataF201777
Thomas LemarM201876
Frenkie de JongM201975
Riyad MahrezF201873
OscarM201772
HulkF201671
John StonesD201671
Aymeric LaporteD201871
Anthony MartialF201570
Pierre-Emerick AubameyangF201869
Benjamin MendyD201768
Alisson BeckerG201868
Kyle WalkerD201767
Naby KeïtaM201865
Christian PulisicF201964
FredM201864
Alexandre LacazetteF201762
JorginhoM201862
Diego CostaF201862
Luka JovicF201960
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:57 PM   #212
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Somebody explain how the CP goal that was overturned by VAR was clear and erroneous? The technology is no good if it isn't utilized properly.

I'll go ahead and bump this up. The question applies more today that over the weekend IMO.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:24 PM   #213
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Only if Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Inter Milan, AC Milan, Juventus, and the rest of the G-14 say so.
Just because the rich keep getting richer and as a result get away with cheating, that doesn't mean the biggest cheaters Manchester City and Paris Saint Germain shouldn't get away with it. The depressing part is that for whatever reasons, UEFA can't or won't get enough evidence to get them banned, which either means they aren't really cheating, or the difference with those other clubs is so small, if they keep digging, everybody in those leagues will have to be banned. And perhaps they should, it's no secret Real Madrid, Barcelona and Manchester United (and who knows) aren't playing 'fair' under the financial fair play rules either.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 07-16-2020 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:30 PM   #214
Ksyrup

Quote:
I'll go ahead and bump this up. The question applies more today that over the weekend IMO.

Yeah no kidding. The rubber on the front of his toe? Seriously? What a joke. It wasn't even clear that it was on or over the line, much less a call that should have been overturned.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-18-2020, 12:08 PM   #215
miami_fan
Coordinator

I guess Sean Dyche has finally gotten onboard and is teaching his players to play act now.
Old 07-18-2020, 01:14 PM   #216
miami_fan
Coordinator

It would not take too much to believe that Norwich was a part of a match fixing scheme today.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:16 PM   #217
RainMaker
General Manager

Pulisic seems really good.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:24 PM   #218
miami_fan
Coordinator

For the first time I have missed the fans during a Covid-era sporting event. I am not a Liverpool fan but Anfield should have been packed today for that trophy presentation.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:39 PM   #219
21C
College Prospect

It was interesting to see the results on the last day of the English Championship.

Leeds had clinched top spot and automatic promotion to the Premier League but second place and another automatic spot was up for grabs. West Brom needed to win to be assured of keeping their second place position but drew against QPR. That left the door open for Brentford, who had been on an 8-game win streak until losing their penultimate game to Stoke, and Fulham. Fulham drew while Brentford lost at home to Barnsley who had been second last before the final day started. The Barnsley win saved them (possibly temporarily) from relegation to League One.

Hull, Charlton and Wigan were the bottom three and relegated. Wigan is only there because of a 12 point deduction for facing administration. They are appealing the point deduction because they went into administration on July 1 only a month after being sold to investors from Hong Kong.

Brentford and Fulham are joined by the Welsh teams, Cardiff and Swansea, in the promotion playoffs. Nottingham Forest missed out on a spot on goal difference, by one goal, after a final game loss to Stoke. Swansea and Forest ended up on the same number of competition points but Swansea won their last game 4-1 while Forest lost 4-1 with Swansea finishing on a goal difference of +9 and Forest on +8.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:12 PM   #220
bhlloy
Coordinator

That Forest/Swansea scenario was insane... basically all Forest had to do was not get blown out, at home, to Stoke who were in the bottom half with absolutely nothing to play for.

Now watch Swansea go and get promoted, just dear lord please not against us in the final. At least there won't be any trouble without fans, so if Cardiff - Swansea is ever going to happen at Wembley, this might be the best time for it.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:17 PM   #221
bhlloy
Coordinator

DOLA - also, the only reason Wigan are going down due to that 12 point penalty is they were bought by a shady Hong Kong syndicate who put them almost straight into administration, thereby driving the value to close to nothing on an asset they had just bought for quite a bit of money. There's a lot of speculation there's some nefarious reasons at play - including the chairman of the EFL getting a bit drunk, telling a fan that it was done for gambling reasons while being secretly recorded.

2020, what a fucking year.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:15 AM   #222
CarterNMA
Mascot

NBC is showing five of the most important games today at 1100 across their networks.
West Ham v. Aston Villa on NBCSN
Leicester City v. Man U on local NBC channel
Chelsea v. Wolverhampton on USA
Everton v. AFC Bournemouth on CNBC
Arsenal v. Watford on Golf Channel

FIVE SIMULTANEOUS GAMES!

Bravo, NBC, bravo.

Kind of glad Bournemouth is going down. I hate their stadium. The camera angles are terrible.

Glad to see Leeds back up in the big league. Now I just need Bradford to get out of League 2...ho hum.
CarterNMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:09 AM   #223
miami_fan
Coordinator

Outside of supporters of a particular team, does the match or matches you choose to watch today say something about you? I could care less about the top 4 matches but I will be keep my eye on who will be going down along with Norwich.

Last edited by miami_fan : 07-26-2020 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-26-2020, 11:30 AM   #224
AlexB
Pro Starter

Bugger
Old 07-26-2020, 11:32 AM   #225
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterNMA View Post
NBC is showing five of the most important games today at 1100 across their networks.
West Ham v. Aston Villa on NBCSN
Leicester City v. Man U on local NBC channel
Chelsea v. Wolverhampton on USA
Everton v. AFC Bournemouth on CNBC
Arsenal v. Watford on Golf Channel

FIVE SIMULTANEOUS GAMES!

Bravo, NBC, bravo.

Kind of glad Bournemouth is going down. I hate their stadium. The camera angles are terrible.

Glad to see Leeds back up in the big league. Now I just need Bradford to get out of League 2...ho hum.

Watford deserve to go down after sacking the manager that very nearly made them safe with 2 games to go, and I really want Villa to go down due to the way that they play, and Grealish in particular for his persistent falling over

So I guess that means I want Bournemouth to stay up!
Old 07-26-2020, 11:46 AM   #226
miami_fan
Coordinator

WTH was West Ham keeper doing?
Old 07-26-2020, 11:59 AM   #227
miami_fan
Coordinator

Watford and Bournmouth are down.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:12 PM   #228
AlexB
Pro Starter

#1 Should be delighted with 5th. Disappointed though
#2 Don’t care about the Champions League. Annoyed we missed out
#3 Care even less about the Europa League. Excited we’re in it

I’m confused
Old 07-26-2020, 12:27 PM   #229
miami_fan
Coordinator

I know it is like being happy for Satan but I am happy that Manchester United has made the CL. I feel like the anger at Ole Gunnar Solskjær being in the manager's office is way over the top.
Old 07-26-2020, 05:23 PM   #230
Critch
lolzcat

Last day of the season isnt the same without shots of fans crying in the stands.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:44 AM   #231
Ksyrup

Sucks for Leicester to drop to 5th but too many injuries to end the year and only taking 1 out of 6 points against Norwich killed their top 3 chances.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:57 PM   #232
miami_fan
Coordinator

Don't you dare fuck this up Cottagers!
Old 07-30-2020, 03:46 PM   #233
miami_fan
Coordinator

*exhales*
Old 08-01-2020, 01:23 PM   #234
bhlloy
Coordinator

Brilliant final tarnished somewhat by some awful refereeing decisions in the last 20 mins. Pulisic hopefully can get past all these muscle injuries to reach his full potential.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:46 PM   #235
miami_fan
Coordinator

Come on Fulham!
Old 08-06-2020, 02:43 PM   #236
Critch
lolzcat

Arsenal have fired their head of UK scouting, head of international scouting, and 10 other senior scouts.

They're going to move towards "agent-led" signings, less uncovering young talent and more singing 30-something who've been released by Chelsea. Undoing everything Wenger set up for a short-term cost cutting.

Not clear whether this is part of the 55 redundancies they announced yesterday, or on top of it.

Last edited by Critch : 08-06-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:27 PM   #237
miami_fan
Coordinator

Instead of trying to get me to B/R app, the Champions League and Europa League are going to try to get me to sign up for CBS Access now? I guess I will be watching Univision.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:36 PM   #238
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Arsenal have fired their head of UK scouting, head of international scouting, and 10 other senior scouts.

They're going to move towards "agent-led" signings, less uncovering young talent and more singing 30-something who've been released by Chelsea. Undoing everything Wenger set up for a short-term cost cutting.

Not clear whether this is part of the 55 redundancies they announced yesterday, or on top of it.

Didn't they ask the players to take a pay cut to prevent this from happening?
Old 08-07-2020, 08:59 AM   #239
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Instead of trying to get me to B/R app, the Champions League and Europa League are going to try to get me to sign up for CBS Access now? I guess I will be watching Univision.

B/R App was $59 for the year and had soccer and nothing else worth watching for me.

CBS Access is $59 for the year (with a free month's trial too) and has Star Trek:Picard. So that's a tradeup for me.

And yes, most Arsenal players did take a paycut to reduce redundancies. Looks like the scouting changes are more of a conscious direction change than a pure covid money-saver though.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:42 AM   #240
AlexB
Pro Starter

While I think the Kieran Tierney signing was good, anyone that recommended signing Pepe for £72m can’t have too many arguments if they are let go
Old 08-07-2020, 02:23 PM   #241
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Yes, that's right, I've got my tv on with Manchester City playing Real Madrid.

There's clearly something wrong with me.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:44 PM   #242
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Yes, that's right, I've got my tv on with Manchester City playing Real Madrid.

There's clearly something wrong with me.

Shame on you for turning your back on UEFA!
Old 08-07-2020, 04:56 PM   #243
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I have a sneaking suspicion they'll both be permanent.

Watching MLS is Back tournament and damn, everyone is rusty (well aside from Red Bull NY apparently, which was just Atlanta's luck) , which is compounded by playing in Orlando in July.

I had similar concerns, particularly about the subs, but EPL voted both down this week.

And, even more surprisingly, they voted for FIFA VAR protocol, so no more Mike Riley rules, which can only be a good thing
Old 08-08-2020, 08:33 AM   #244
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Shame on you for turning your back on UEFA!
In a way, they sort of came through, they tried to suspend Paris SG and Manchester City, but we all know by now their cases didn't hold enough grounds to get anything more than a small fine.
Barcelona and Chelsea have had their transfer bans.
Small victories, I suppose. *shrug*
Old 08-08-2020, 11:31 AM   #245
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
In a way, they sort of came through, they tried to suspend Paris SG and Manchester City, but we all know by now their cases didn't hold enough grounds to get anything more than a small fine.
Barcelona and Chelsea have had their transfer bans.
Small victories, I suppose. *shrug*

I have no idea why you would be watching Champions League at all. It sounds like you should be watching local amateur soccer and nothing else.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:49 PM   #246
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
I have no idea why you would be watching Champions League at all. It sounds like you should be watching local amateur soccer and nothing else.
Of course not. I'm still interested in watching the highest quality of football. I've been watching the UEFA Champions League for more than 20 years, until the Neymar and Mbappé non-sense. The UEFA has to find a better way to enforce their financial fair play, apparently the rules aren't clear enough or too easy to break or get away with just slaps on the wrist.

At the same time, the national football associations aren't getting anything done either, they're not enforcing any point deductions to those clubs that are destroying the credibility of their branch either, let alone relegations if these clubs continue to not play by the rules. FFP still has too much grey area, perhaps?
Old 08-08-2020, 02:36 PM   #247
bhlloy
Coordinator

VAR is fucking garbage. How to take the beauty and skill out of the game. That has never been a handball in any level of the game ever.
Old 08-08-2020, 04:18 PM   #248
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
VAR is fucking garbage. How to take the beauty and skill out of the game. That has never been a handball in any level of the game ever.
Hard to reply in detail with the details of the situation absent, but in general you can't blame the usage of VAR for the changes to the handball rule that have coincidentally been introduced at the same time. You can claim that the introduction of VAR made it easier to enforce the seemingly inhumane handball rule in situations where the referee was never going to be able to see it.
Old 08-08-2020, 04:21 PM   #249
bhlloy
Coordinator

Right. There’s the level of handball that the ref can see in real time, then there’s the absurd brush of the hand by a millimeter that had no bearing on the play that VAR enables. My guess is the rule changes wouldn’t have actually had much effect at all if VAR wasn’t there to take it to the absurd level.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:06 PM   #250
Critch
lolzcat

Barcelona v Bayern. Wow. Football is a funny old game.