Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-07-2020, 02:25 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Alright Avenger Boyz, Here We Assemble! (Marvel's Avengers thread)

Ok, Marvel's Avengers Beta. (there are spoilers in this that I will mark).

If you preordered on PS4, there's a beta this weekend, and a open beta next week. X1 and Steam will be delayed one week I believe (in that preorder beta next week, and open beta in two weeks)

I've played through the Tutorial (and part of one War Table mission). My thoughts:

Control Scheme will be pretty familiar to those who played Spider-Man. Light attacks, heavy attacks (needed to break shields or something similar) and special abilities. (for example, Hulk can grab someone and either batter them into the ground like Loki, hit other people with them (damaging both of them) or throwing them at people.)

Due to the Beta nature, I only controlled Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, and Black Widow briefly, but they all felt pretty different (Iron Man with his hovering abilities, Captain America with his shield, etcetera). The two main heroes I controlled after the "Five years ago" mission are Kamala Khan and the Hulk.

The main system feels a lot like they took Destiny's gear system and matchmaking and paired it with the Avengers. There are random gear drops, things to upgrade gear you have, and you can dissassemble unneeded Gear for upgrade parts. Same White/Green/Blue ranking of gear I believe.

I didn't get to try matchmaking (wonder if not enabled until scheduled opening tonight). But here's some thoughts.

The last part of the single player mode before the War Table unlocks involves
Spoiler
. You fight as the Hulk for a good portion of it, but Kamala does get her time in the spotlight.

One thing I do not like is that sometimes it's unclear what your next step is or how to get to a place (there was a jumping bit with the Hulk that drove me nuts for about 10-15 minutes) I think that I may have been spoiled with WoW clearly spelling out "Go here, do this". Between that, and long reload times if you slip up and fall (as you can do in the tutorial if you don't avoid hazards), it got a bit annoying.

But the one on one "boss" fights were pretty interesting.

Spoiler

The other one takes place in the current day, and involves...

Spoiler

I love the banter. It does sound like the Avengers. Stark snarks about the weapons the bad guys are using...

Spoiler

Also, there is an intensely hilarious discussion between Bruce and Kamala as they prepare to enter the old Stark hideout.

Spoiler

So, pretty good so far. It's not perfect, (I failed my first war table mission, which had a control point mechanism, by one percent. You control it when one of your team is on it, AIM controls it when no heroes are on it). Instead of sending me back in the mission, it failed me out. Which is frustrating in Singleplayer.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 08-07-2020 at 02:25 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:03 PM   #2
Thomkal
Head Coach

Thanks Foz for that-from the few screenshots I've seen, it looked pretty Destiny-like to me
Old 08-07-2020, 03:08 PM   #3
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Thanks Foz for that-from the few screenshots I've seen, it looked pretty Destiny-like to me

I google the game and this is the first article I get

Ars Technica: Avengers video game beta impressions: Destiny, this ain’t

I would link it but I forget which sites break this board (if that hasn't been fixed)

Last edited by NobodyHere : 08-07-2020 at 03:09 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:59 PM   #4
spleen1015
Coordinator

I've put a few hours into this today and I love it. I've never played Destiny. I just started playing FF7 Remake this week and the combat feels very much like that to me.

Really looking forward to this one.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:08 PM   #5
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Further comments after doing the first storyline mission and one "Danger Room" challenge (HARM Room)

I can see how fighting synthoids all the time would get repetitive, but I swear, even with AI Companions, you know those slow motion shots where it shows all the Avengers being awesome in one great shot? That's what four player feels like. While I'm (Kamala) dodging a exosuit's attack and then clearing around me with giant fists, Hulk has grabbed a pour synthoid and is beating another one with it, while Iron Man fires his handbeams and Black Widow is shocking the hell out of another one.