Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-01-2021, 01:57 PM   #551
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Amon-Ra St Brown will be a really solid NFL player. Lions fans - you got a good one there in the 4th.

I’m excited by his name alone!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:23 PM   #552
Thomkal
Head Coach

Nice to see some Coastal players get rewarded after the team's unbelievable season. DE Tarron Jackson to the Eagles in the 6th round, and RB CJ Marable as an UDFA to the Bears.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:50 AM   #553
QuikSand
lolzcat

Dolphins continue to tinker with what was a pretty highly rated defense last season. Starting safety Bobby McCain gets cut, it's not really a surprise, he was on an NFL-style contract on its way toward being unaffordable, and his most direct replacement was just taken in the top draft picks. I expect Miami to sign one-time big time prospect Malik Hooker on a prove-it deal, but they continue to suggest they think they can just plug pieces into their system and make a good defense out of doing so. We'll see. It has been interesting to watch this roster as closely as I have following the tank-for-Tua rebuilding effort started in earnest with the trades of Laremy Tunsil and Minkah Fitzpatrick.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:32 AM   #554
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I always had high hopes for Malik Hooker, but he was always getting injured and just never broke out the way the Colts wanted him to.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:59 AM   #555
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The Jags draft a gimmick running back in the first round.

The Jags are bringing the Tebow circus to town on the hopes that he might be good enough to be a gimmick 3rd tight end.

So far, the new sheriffs in town are not impressing me.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:13 AM   #556
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I was waiting for a bagel yesterday and they had ESPN on. One of the talking heads was saying the AFC East is the best division in football. It was a nice reminder why I never watch ESPN anymore, but yes, get rid of LeBatard and today Kenny Mayne.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:17 AM   #557
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

The 90's: Sportcenter every day
The 00's: Sportcenter couple times a week
The 10"s: Sportcenter when there is a big story
The 20's" What was Sportscenter again?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:44 AM   #558
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

The Jags are bringing the Tebow circus to town on the hopes that he might be good enough to be a gimmick 3rd tight end.

So far, the new sheriffs in town are not impressing me.

Some pundit mentioned having the circus in town will reduce scrutiny/pressure on a new HC and hotshot rookie QB. I don't buy that take at all, but it's out there.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:59 AM   #559
bob
College Starter

Quote:

I thought he was picked too high, but is he a gimmick running back?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:18 AM   #560
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I thought he was picked too high, but is he a gimmick running back?

Personally, I think he is the best running back in the draft as far as a fit for current NFL environment. His pass catching and big play ability should serve him well. He isnt a workhorse but it doesnt seem like coaches like to run backs 20+ times a game anymore so that shouldnt be an issue.

I like the Kimara comparisons.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 05-11-2021 at 11:26 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:25 AM   #561
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

This does strike me as very odd. At best he will be a below average receiver and a far below average blocker at the 3rd tight end position typically used for good blocking Tight Ends. He will also be worthless on special teams I assume so another wasted spot. The only thing he could potentially add is depth for a 3rd QB and not having to carry 3 and like you had mentioned(gimmick plays).

Last edited by jbergey22 : 05-11-2021 at 11:25 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:26 AM   #562
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

He will sell a lot of jerseys
Old 05-11-2021, 11:42 AM   #563
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post

I like the Kimara comparisons.

Yeah, but Kamara was a third round pick.

Thinking a little more about it, I guess it isn't that I think that he'll be a bad player.

It's just that I think that you can get RBs like that (fast, good hands, jet sweep threat, etc.) in later rounds.

And in my head, I maybe think of him as gimmicky because that's how I expect Meyer will use him. Lots of misdirection stuff, etc.

I actually like underdog teams, and Lawrence seems like a good kid, so I want them to do well. I'm just not optimistic based on what I'm seeing so far.
Old 05-11-2021, 12:01 PM   #564
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:

To help change the culture maybe?
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 12:19 PM   #565
miami_fan
Coordinator

Former NFL QB Colt Brennan dies at 37 - ProFootballTalk
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 12:47 PM   #566
BYU 14
Coordinator

Damn, and from the article I don't think it is a jump to assume pain pills, likely fentanyl was a contributing factor. That drug has become a scourge starting in the High School ranks on up over the last decade.

Very sad
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:37 PM   #567
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I was waiting for a bagel yesterday and they had ESPN on. One of the talking heads was saying the AFC East is the best division in football. It was a nice reminder why I never watch ESPN anymore, but yes, get rid of LeBatard and today Kenny Mayne.

You know, I think I could buy an argument that it the best division in football, at least top to bottom. Not my choice, but I wouldn't write someone making that argument off too quickly. Or at the very least has the upside to be the best division. But you really need to put a lot of faith in Tua, Wilson and Newton/Jones.

The Bills are an AFC favourite, one could really like the Patriots based on returning players and new signees and Belichick, the Dolphins are going in the right direction and made a lot of very good additions as well. All three teams *could* really be 11-6 or better. That leaves the Jets. While I'm not sold on Wilson, I really liked their next 3 picks (Vera-Tucker, Moore, Carter). If one has confidence in the Robert Saleh - Mike Lafleur combination, this could be a surprisingly decent team as well.

All said, I'm not saying that this all comes to fruition and it wouldn't be my choice as the best division. I do think it's possible that the four teams end with the best win-loss record of any division and I could foresee a scenario where it's the only division that has three teams make the playoffs.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:22 AM   #568
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I can't be the only one shaking my head at the schedule release crap. I mean, if I'm a season ticket holder or wanting to pick a game or two to attend, sure, I may glance at the schedule before August. But now? WTF cares?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:27 AM   #569
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I can't be the only one shaking my head at the schedule release crap. I mean, if I'm a season ticket holder or wanting to pick a game or two to attend, sure, I may glance at the schedule before August. But now? WTF cares?

The one thing I like about it is it is one of the few times the NFL does not take itself too seriously. Local reporters can breathlessly "leak" the schedule earlier that day (The one I saw for the Saints had "NFL CONFIDENTIAL" stamped on it), and the league doesn't threaten to fine the teams or whatever.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:32 AM   #570
cuervo72
Head Coach

I've never gotten it either, but then I don't actually go to the games. I mean, the schedule is on a formula. We KNOW WHO TEAMS WILL PLAY. Well, maybe outside of this 17th game nonsense, but I guess that'll be learned soon enough.

When they are played, I really don't care.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:43 AM   #571
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

I've been looking forward to the schedule release because I want to catch a Vikings game on the road and make a trip out of it. Did that seeing them play the Chargers in 2019.

Leaning toward going to their game against the Panthers in October. Side trip to Asheville, an excellent beer city, could be a lot of fun.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:49 AM   #572
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
I've been looking forward to the schedule release because I want to catch a Vikings game on the road and make a trip out of it. Did that seeing them play the Chargers in 2019.

Leaning toward going to their game against the Panthers in October. Side trip to Asheville, an excellent beer city, could be a lot of fun.

That's Fall leaf season in Asheville, which both makes the trip more worth it and will make it more expensive to stay there. Worth it, though, IMO. Charlotte is a perfectly fine generic city. But Asheville is a blast.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:38 PM   #573
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
That's Fall leaf season in Asheville, which both makes the trip more worth it and will make it more expensive to stay there. Worth it, though, IMO. Charlotte is a perfectly fine generic city. But Asheville is a blast.

Definitely would spend more time in Asheville than Charlotte. So many breweries to visit.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:03 AM   #574
QuikSand
lolzcat

Generally agreed that schedule reveal is stupid... but there are exceptions that can prove the rule, right?

Old 05-14-2021, 09:28 AM   #575
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I always had high hopes for Malik Hooker, but he was always getting injured and just never broke out the way the Colts wanted him to.

And he can't even get anyone to sign him to an incentive-laden deal, apparently. Damn. Was very high on him as a rookie prospect. This feels like more than just injuries, maybe he's just done. (Or his agent is asking for a real deal, I suppose)
Old 05-14-2021, 09:34 AM   #576
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

My brother just moved back to Asheville and I'm looking forward to visiting again at some point.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:16 AM   #577
JPhillips
General Manager

That schedule reveal was tremendous. The Ravens social media team deserves a bonus.
Old 05-17-2021, 12:21 PM   #578
thesloppy
Pro Starter

"Lions head coach Dan Campbell actually wants a pet lion at Lions practice in his first season on the job, explaining how it could motivate his team on the Pardon My Take podcast.

"A legit pet lion on a chain, a big ass chain," Campbell said. "We literally just walk around the building, go out to practice. On seven-on-seven we're behind the kicker when he's kicking. On command you can train him, like if one of your groups isn't doing well you can take him over to their section and just have him take a dump where they are at and bring him on back. ""
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 12:54 PM   #579
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I hope this is satire but suspect it isn't.
Old 05-17-2021, 01:06 PM   #580
thesloppy
Pro Starter

"I don't know if the team is going to allow that, but we would take great care of it," Campbell said. "It would be fed well, it would be petted, it would be manicured. I may end up losing an arm because of it, but that would be even better because it would validate -- this is a freakin' creature. This is an animal, this is from the wild."
Old 05-17-2021, 01:15 PM   #581
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Sounds like the next Bill Belichick to me.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 01:20 PM   #582
JPhillips
General Manager

Jared Goff gets some motivation.

Old 05-17-2021, 01:33 PM   #583
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
"Lions head coach Dan Campbell actually wants a pet lion at Lions practice in his first season on the job, explaining how it could motivate his team on the Pardon My Take podcast.

"A legit pet lion on a chain, a big ass chain," Campbell said. "We literally just walk around the building, go out to practice. On seven-on-seven we're behind the kicker when he's kicking. On command you can train him, like if one of your groups isn't doing well you can take him over to their section and just have him take a dump where they are at and bring him on back. ""

Tell me which political party you belong to, without telling me which political party you belong to.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 01:58 PM   #584
thesloppy
Pro Starter

As a Lions fan I am trying hard to ignore the little voice in my head wondering what Campbell will be like once the honeymoon period is over and he gets into a conflict with a player or another coach.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:02 PM   #585
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

When Campbell was on the Saints staff, several of the local reporters said that he was the guy in the building with the most head coach potential.

But everything he's done since taking over has felt so gimmicky.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:07 PM   #586
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I can hear him now

"ALRIGHT MEN! This is our first practice, time to whip you in to shape. I am going to release this tiger to chase you from one endzone to the other! You don't have to be the fastest, but don't be the slowest!"

as the 3rd string center glances around nervously.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:07 PM   #587
Kodos
Resident Alien

Wait, are you saying that having a real lion at practices is GIMMICKY?
Old 05-17-2021, 02:28 PM   #588
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Jaguars Cut Ryquell Armstead

Ruthless sport.

Not saying that the Jags should keep him on as a charity case. But, man, an NFL career can just end in the blink of an eye.
Old 05-17-2021, 05:04 PM   #589
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
As a Lions fan I am trying hard to ignore the little voice in my head wondering what Campbell will be like once the honeymoon period is over and he gets into a conflict with a player or another coach.

Yeah, I keep giving him the benefit of the doubt and really want him to succeed, but it’s hard not imagining this going spectacularly terrible in true Lions fashion.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-17-2021, 05:25 PM   #590
thesloppy
Pro Starter

"One idea Campbell seemed especially fond of was putting a taxidermied sheep at the front of the Lions practice facility and encouraging players to not look at it, to reiterate the old saying that a lion does not concern itself with the opinions of sheep."

OK, that is truly among the dumbest things I've ever read. We're gonna put a dead sheep out front and encourage you not to look at it.
Old 05-17-2021, 05:48 PM   #591
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
"One idea Campbell seemed especially fond of was putting a taxidermied sheep at the front of the Lions practice facility and encouraging players to not look at it, to reiterate the old saying that a lion does not concern itself with the opinions of sheep."

OK, that is truly among the dumbest things I've ever read. We're gonna put a dead sheep out front and encourage you not to look at it.

This hire is eerily reminiscent of what would be the worst hire my Vikings ever made with Les Steckel, who had gems like this.

Quote:
Early on, he cut up a credit card and announced the country club atmosphere was ending. Steckel also punched himself in the face during an animated pep talk.

Players who witnessed it claim Steckel almost knocked himself out.

And had great communication with his players.

Quote:
In one game, Manning – yep, Peyton’s and Eli’s dad – was sacked 11 times. Most of the sacks came after the ball was snapped over Manning’s head when he was lined up in shotgun formation. Afterward, I asked the center why he couldn’t lower his snaps. He was stunned by the question. “Nobody told me the ball was going over Archie’s head,” he said.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 05-17-2021 at 05:51 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:16 PM   #592
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

He's gonna have to bust out "champions of life" sooner than later.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:31 PM   #593
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I just keep telling myself that he seems to have hired a pretty solid staff and that he’s not as stupid/insane as he sounds and this will finally work out.

Also, while most people feel like Brad Holmes has done a pretty solid job so far as the GM, Campbell was hired before Holmes was.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:15 PM   #594
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I just keep telling myself that he seems to have hired a pretty solid staff and that he’s not as stupid/insane as he sounds and this will finally work out.

Also, while most people feel like Brad Holmes has done a pretty solid job so far as the GM, Campbell was hired before Holmes was.

Same. I can see the force of personality that everybody is talking about, but the substance seems entirely questionable. I feel like Dan Campbell has definitely worn Zubas non-ironically.
Old 05-18-2021, 07:10 AM   #595
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Same. I can see the force of personality that everybody is talking about, but the substance seems entirely questionable. I feel like Dan Campbell has definitely worn Zubas non-ironically.

Agreed re: Zubas.

I will say that Campbell would fit in perfectly as some sort of wild-ass leader or a war band in a Mad Max movie and if there was ever a royal rumble style match involving all 32 NFL head coaches, he’d have strong odds of making it to the end. Whether any of that translates into him being a competent, successful head coach is questionable.

At this point, we just have to hope that he will be and be comforted by the fact that he isn’t Patricia.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:03 AM   #596
QuikSand
lolzcat

The NFL is better with him as a head coach. Thinking about Jerry Glanville, whom I generally disliked but was glad he had a gig. On a team where I don't harbor a strong opinion, at least let them be entertaining from afar.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:53 AM   #597
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
The NFL is better with him as a head coach. Thinking about Jerry Glanville, whom I generally disliked but was glad he had a gig. On a team where I don't harbor a strong opinion, at least let them be entertaining from afar.

So what, the Lions are funny? But, they’re funny how? Funny like a clown? They’ll amuse you? They’ll make you laugh? They’ll be here to fuckin' amuse you?

Fair enough and really all you can ask and hope for.

In all seriousness, they should be entertaining, which is at least something. I appreciate that Holmes, Campbell and the powers-that-be all seem to understand that this is a franchise without an identity other than being terrible and sad sack. They’re focusing on trying to build a culture. This year’s draft seems like a step in the right direction. Whether they’ll be successful in doing so and what that will look like on the field will have to be seen.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:53 AM   #598
bhlloy
Coordinator

I think the one thing you are hoping is that enough Sean Payton good crazy rubbed off on him, but hardly very encouraging early signs. This is mostly Mike Singletary level crazy so far. Dial it back buddy.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:04 PM   #599
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Jaguars Cut Ryquell Armstead

Ruthless sport.

Not saying that the Jags should keep him on as a charity case. But, man, an NFL career can just end in the blink of an eye.

Thinking about this again... it's easy to shift into "football mode" or heaven forbid "FOF mode" and think that he was probably only going to make the 3rd year minimum this season, so no big deal.

Then, I readjust to "actual human life" mode, and if my vague suspicious are correct, this guy very possibly just got demoted from "earning the same as a partner in a law firm" to "earning the same as the guy driving a trash truck."
Old 05-20-2021, 02:25 PM   #600
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
So what, the Lions are funny? But, they’re funny how? Funny like a clown? They’ll amuse you? They’ll make you laugh? They’ll be here to fuckin' amuse you?

Report: Lions offered Iowa State's Matt Campbell eight-year, $68.5 million to be head coach - ProFootballTalk