Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-07-2005, 03:08 PM   #1
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Eagles to Owens: Don't Come Back This Year

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2216703

Quote:
PHILADELPHIA -- Terrell Owens won't return to the Philadelphia Eagles this season, coach Andy Reid said Monday.

The outspoken star receiver was suspended for Sunday night's 17-10 loss at Washington, and will remain suspended for three more games. After that, the Eagles plan to deactivate Owens for the rest of the season.

"The league has been notified by the players' union that they will be grieving our right to take that action," Reid said, "therefore there is nothing more that I can say at this point."

Owens was suspended over the weekend following a tumultuous week in which he criticized the club, fought with a former teammate and took another verbal shot at quarterback Donovan McNabb.

"I do want it to be clear that this decision is a result of a large number of situations that accumulated over a long period of time," Reid said.

Owens "had been warned repeatedly about the consequences of his actions," Reid said. "We gave Terrell every opportunity to avoid this outcome."

Owens was suspended Saturday, two days after he said the Eagles showed "a lack of class" for not publicly recognizing his 100th career touchdown catch in a game on Oct. 23. In the same interview with ESPN.com on Thursday, Owens said the Eagles would be better off with Green Bay's Brett Favre at quarterback.

Owens was involved in a fight last week with former Eagles defensive end Hugh Douglas, who remains with the team as its "ambassador."

McNabb, who feuded with Owens throughout the summer and has been a constant target of his criticism, finally took a stand in the matter, saying the Eagles might be "better off" without Owens.

"Obviously it is tough losing a guy of his caliber, his ability, but I think we might be better off," McNabb said after throwing an interception that sealed the loss to Washington. "I think what we did tonight, we showed that we played well together. I think we also showed that when given the opportunity, guys can make plays for us. We're 4-4. We're not 1-7. I think that's the way to look at it. For the guys in the locker room, we win together and we lose together."

ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:09 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

this makes me sad. but ONLY because TO is on my fantasy team, and i was never figuring that it would get THIS bad
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:10 PM   #3
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I have to imagine that even though the Niners are crappy, they have to be smiling now. Just for the simple fact they don't have to deal with TO.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:11 PM   #4
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
this makes me sad. but ONLY because TO is on my fantasy team, and i was never figuring that it would get THIS bad
I heard that.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:14 PM   #5
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Does he get paid for the games for which he is suspended?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:15 PM   #6
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I believe I heard this morning on Mike & Mike that the 4 game suspension was without pay (Sal Pal reported). My guess is the remainder of the year will be with pay.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:16 PM   #7
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
No pay for the four games they can suspend him for -- the rest of the year he will be paid but be inactive, aka "keyshawned".
Old 11-07-2005, 03:16 PM   #8
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
I don't think so. Wasn't each game worth like $202,000? For the games he's deactivated, he gets money.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:29 PM   #9
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

So is TO being released into the FA the next move?
I think that TO should just sign 1 yr contracts if released.
I don't think any teams would want him hanging around for more than 1 season.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:34 PM   #10
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

LOL

Goodbye Eagles postseason.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:35 PM   #11
Emiliano
College Prospect

Finally. Good move by the Eagles. I think at this point he won't come back next year either...
Old 11-07-2005, 03:37 PM   #12
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

What an ass TO is. Good bye!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:40 PM   #13
st.cronin
General Manager

I think FOF should incorporate some sort of 'brain injury' into the game. Week 6, your star wr suffers a severe brain injury ... you can keep him on the team, but your chemistry and cohesion will be shot to hell, or you can keyshawn him.

Didn't something similiar happen to Terry Glenn a few years back, too? I sort of expect T.O. to end up a Cowboy in 2006.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:41 PM   #14
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Good riddance. I wonder which teams will even want to pursue him at this point in his career. He's a punk.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:43 PM   #15
Schmidty
Coordinator

More time for TO to hone his already stellar bowling skills. He's probably giggling with glee.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:48 PM   #16
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEMICAL SOLDIER
So is TO being released into the FA the next move?

He is due a 7 million roster bonus in the spring. My guess is that they will try to trade him, but due to him wanting to test the FA waters, will refuse to sign a deal with any trading partner, and they'll out and out release him.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:48 PM   #17
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Since the Eagles are going to bench him after suspending him for 4 games, he should have the option to ask for and be granted a release. It's football, not figure skating.

Last edited by stevew : 11-07-2005 at 03:49 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:50 PM   #18
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Since the Eagles are going to bench him after suspending him for 4 games, he should have the option to ask for and be granted a release. It's football, not figure skating.

Why? He's under contract and will be getting paid. It's the team's decision on whether or not he's on the active roster.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:51 PM   #19
stevew
Hall Of Famer

TO would be a great fit in Atlanta or Dallas. I'd take him in Pittsburgh....he can play, that pretty much trumps all.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:51 PM   #20
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
TO would be a great fit in Atlanta or Dallas. I'd take him in Pittsburgh....he can play, that pretty much trumps all.

When he plays

Last edited by Galaxy : 11-07-2005 at 03:52 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:52 PM   #21
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:

Why? Why should they cater to his whiny ass? He signed a contract and broke the rules of the team. He has the rest of the year to think about his attitude.

I think Mort said something on ESPN last night. He was saying that TO will be a player who will never get that big contract. He will be a year to year player after all of this.

Good.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:54 PM   #22
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywisesb
Good riddance. I wonder which teams will even want to pursue him at this point in his career. He's a punk.
I'd take him in a heartbeat. This whole thing just reeks of Andy Reid deflecting the problems that they have had with running the ball and with McNabb's injury onto Owens to use as a scapegoat. If you put T.O. with a coach who has thicker skin and knows how to handle players, both him (and that team) will flourish.

If I were an Eagles fan, I'd be pissed that they just decided to throw away the season like this.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:55 PM   #23
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Teams will take a chance on him, you can bet on that. Big mouth and all.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:55 PM   #24
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:

You can have him. He'd destroy the Falcons. Much of their success comes from a "team" concept that he'd never understand.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:57 PM   #25
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
I'd take him in a heartbeat. This whole thing just reeks of Andy Reid deflecting the problems that they have had with running the ball and with McNabb's injury onto Owens to use as a scapegoat. If you put T.O. with a coach who has thicker skin and knows how to handle players, both him (and that team) will flourish.

If I were an Eagles fan, I'd be pissed that they just decided to throw away the season like this.

Exactly. TO is an ass, but Reid is cutting off his nose to spite his face. It's not like his rhetoric got significantly worse after he came to the Eagles, they knew he was an ass going into the situation.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:57 PM   #26
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Dallas wouldn't want him. He shat on the star and he just doesn't seem to be a Parcells kind of guy.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:00 PM   #27
GrantDawg

Quote:
Exactly. TO is an ass, but Reid is cutting off his nose to spite his face. It's not like his rhetoric got significantly worse after he came to the Eagles, they knew he was an ass going into the situation.

BS. How exactly did Reid force TO to start crying about a contract that was only one years old? This all started with TO wanting more money, and it continues because TO wants more money. I'll just be happy if this ends with TO getting significantly less money.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:00 PM   #28
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
You can have him. He'd destroy the Falcons. Much of their success comes from a "team" concept that he'd never understand.

There is also apparently bad blood between Little Mora and T.O.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:00 PM   #29
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So, how long until one of the ESPN.com writers posts an article about how this is a racist move?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:01 PM   #30
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma

Thank goodness.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:01 PM   #31
st.cronin
General Manager

This has nothing (or little) to do with T.O. wanting more money. I think it has to do with him continually bitching out his QB.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:01 PM   #32
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Eagles got to the NFC Championship game a few times before TO arrived, and they made it to the Super Bowl last year without him during the playoffs. The were only 4-3 with him before last night, so I don't think they are throwing away the season at all. They did just fine before without him, and probably will do better since they excised a cancer from the locker room.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:03 PM   #33
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Dallas wouldn't want him. He shat on the star...

Who cares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
...and he just doesn't seem to be a Parcells kind of guy.

Bingo.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:03 PM   #34
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Maybe Baltimore will finally get him. Then we can see him blowing up there.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:06 PM   #35
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
This has nothing (or little) to do with T.O. wanting more money. I think it has to do with him continually bitching out his QB.

Do you really think if the Eagles had signed him to a new contract at the begining of this year he'd still be acting like this? I don't for one second.

In TO's tiny little mind, money is the number one way of showing respect. TO feels the Eagles have shown respect to McNabb by paying him, but they have disrespected TO by not paying him enough. Pay him, and he is a minor annoyance. Don't pay him, then he melts down.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-07-2005 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:07 PM   #36
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
You can have him. He'd destroy the Falcons.
I disagree completely. Mora is exactly the type of coach that would work well with Owens.

T. O. is a prima donna, sure, but when he's happy, he's one of the best wideout in football...pairing him up with a guy like Andy Reid was a mistake to begin with. If you had put him on a team with a coach who has good people skills, this situation would never have happened.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:09 PM   #37
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma
Hmmm...I can distinctly remember Mora saying the opposite when he was on 790 a few months ago.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:09 PM   #38
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think he is ripe for Minnesotta
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:10 PM   #39
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Do you really think if the Eagles had signed him to a new contract at the begining of this year he'd still be acting like this? I don't for one second.

In TO's tiny little mind, money is the number one way of showing respect. TO feels the Eagles have shown respect to McNabb by paying him, but they have disrespected TO by not paying him enough. Pay him, and he is a minor annoyance. Don't pay him, then he melts down.

I see your point, but if all he had done was hold out and cry about his poverty and being disrespected the Eagles wouldn't have cared. The line he crossed, as far as I can tell, was slamming his QB.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:10 PM   #40
Klinglerware
College Starter

TO finally gets paid at a per game rate higher than if he had not been deactivated. Some team will certainly take a chance on him next year. The Eagles should have paid him.

Winner, TO.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:11 PM   #41
GrantDawg

Quote:
I disagree completely. Mora is exactly the type of coach that would work well with Owens.

T. O. is a prima donna, sure, but when he's happy, he's one of the best wideout in football...pairing him up with a guy like Andy Reid was a mistake to begin with. If you had put him on a team with a coach who has good people skills, this situation would never have happened.

A) TO would not be happy in Atlanta because there is no way they could make him thehighest paid reciever in the league. That is the only way to make him happy.

B) It has already been stated that Mora has had issues with Owens already. Doesn't sound much like he'd be the perfect coach for him.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:12 PM   #42
GrantDawg

BTW, wasn't it Rich McKay that went on record slamming TO at the begining of the year? You think he is suddenly going to open the check book for him now?

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-07-2005 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:15 PM   #43
MikeVic
Head Coach

No, not Pittsburgh! I can't see Cowher putting up with his shit, can you? If he was guaranteed to not be a distraction, then OK... but that's impossible with Owens.

I can see Minnesota trying to get him. He'd be the Moss replacement, and they need someone for the fans to come and watch since Culpepper will be gone all next season I'd think?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:17 PM   #44
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

does he really seem like a minnesota kind of player? I mean with the new owner trying to put his stamp on the team, institute a code of conduct and all...i don't see T.O. fitting into his plans. Maybe he'll end up in an NFL-backwater like say Seattle or New Orleans... (not that those are actually "backwaters" just that they're pretty much not top-tier NFL-teams)
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:20 PM   #45
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Hmmm...I can distinctly remember Mora saying the opposite when he was on 790 a few months ago.

You may be right. I had read what I posted on another board, so it may be a pure UIR.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:20 PM   #46
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
does he really seem like a minnesota kind of player? I mean with the new owner trying to put his stamp on the team, institute a code of conduct and all...i don't see T.O. fitting into his plans. Maybe he'll end up in an NFL-backwater like say Seattle or New Orleans... (not that those are actually "backwaters" just that they're pretty much not top-tier NFL-teams)

Seattle with Owens would have a very scary offense.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:21 PM   #47
JimboJ
High School Varsity

Quote:
I see your point, but if all he had done was hold out and cry about his poverty and being disrespected the Eagles wouldn't have cared. The line he crossed, as far as I can tell, was slamming his QB.

Exactly. At TO's position it didn't really matter how the rest of the team felt about him, as long as his QB still had confidence in him. Up until last week, Donovan was willing to put all the bad blood aside on game day and get the ball to TO. Donovan handled it all along with class. But even he has his limit. Last week TO crossed it, and at that point there was no other option for the Eagles.
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:22 PM   #48
Subby
lolzcat

Isn't Greg Knapp the Atlanta OC?
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:23 PM   #49
GrantDawg

Quote:

But he crossed that line because he didn't get his "respect." Isn't this pretty much what he said he'd do when he came into camp without holding out?
Old 11-07-2005, 04:24 PM   #50
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Isn't Greg Knapp the Atlanta OC?

Yes.