Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-09-2003, 05:37 PM   #1
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

OT: Fantasy Baseball (Possible Schilling Trades)

Allright a quick background. I am in a NL only, 4x4 league and am very strong in all of the catagories except SB's and saves. I offered these 3 trades today to try to make up some ground and to fill in the hole that Schilling is leaving on my roster. Are they fair? And I mean both ways. Am I asking too much or getting ripped off. Sometimes I get too caught up in stats and end up with a putz like David Valle.

Offer #1:
Schilling for Jose Jimenez and Alex Sanchez (Covers both needs. Is this asking for too much?)

Offer #2:
Schilling for Corey Patterson (It is a keeper league and Patterson went for $4 while Schilling was $39. He should also help with SB's and HR's. Is his season a sign of things to come or a fluke?)

Offer #3:
Schilling and Alex Gonzalez (Cubs) for Rafeal Furcal and Scott Williamson. (I have a feeling this may be my weakest offer of the three)

Any help is appreciated.

panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 05:56 PM   #2
Travis
Pro Rookie

Heh, you and I have a very different opinion on #3, I would say that if you could that one off, you're pulling a coup. Furcal will outdo Gonzalez any day of the week, and Williamson is always worth points. Maybe not Schilling points, but he's a lot closer to Curt (depending on what saves vs wins are worth) than Alex is to Furcal.

That said, if I could take any of the 3 trades from your side of things, I'd be pulling for the Patterson deal to go through. I'm a big Jays fan, and personally think that Wells is the best CF around right now, but if we had to have anybody else out there, I'd want it to be that kid, he's going to be huge.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:04 PM   #3
Vince
Pro Starter

I think you guys are spot on on the #3 deal...I read that as panerd believes that's the offer that is least likely to get accepted.

I'd think at this point, in a keeper league, not many people are going to be interested in acquiring Schilling. He's old and hurt, and even though he's a stud, that might be enough to stop people, especially if you're dealing for young, keeper material.

That being said, I've never been in a keeper league, so I don't have a very good feel for how valuable youth is.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 06:56 PM   #4
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis
Heh, you and I have a very different opinion on #3, I would say that if you could that one off, you're pulling a coup. Furcal will outdo Gonzalez any day of the week, and Williamson is always worth points. Maybe not Schilling points, but he's a lot closer to Curt (depending on what saves vs wins are worth) than Alex is to Furcal.

That said, if I could take any of the 3 trades from your side of things, I'd be pulling for the Patterson deal to go through. I'm a big Jays fan, and personally think that Wells is the best CF around right now, but if we had to have anybody else out there, I'd want it to be that kid, he's going to be huge.

I appreciate the advice. I see what you are saying on that third trade. I always trade to be fair and not offer something ridiculous, but I have a feeling I may not being hearing back from the third guy. (I hate terrible offers. One guy offered me Derrick Lee for Ritchie Sexson. He said it would help with my steals) I wonder if any of the deals are really that good?
Old 06-09-2003, 06:59 PM   #5
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Vince
I think you guys are spot on on the #3 deal...I read that as panerd believes that's the offer that is least likely to get accepted.

I'd think at this point, in a keeper league, not many people are going to be interested in acquiring Schilling. He's old and hurt, and even though he's a stud, that might be enough to stop people, especially if you're dealing for young, keeper material.

That being said, I've never been in a keeper league, so I don't have a very good feel for how valuable youth is.

I have never been in a keeper league either. But you are right that people will be looking for next year. However, there also is the angle of helping this guy win this year in return for setting me up for next. I don't know if he will consider losing Patterson helping him win though.

I learned very quickly this year that the last several picks in a keeper league are almost as big as the first. I am busy drafting David Cone and Dustin Hermanson while my friends are pulling out future stars of the next several years. I guess it helps to do your homework.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:58 PM   #6
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Since you did say it is a keeper league, I'd take #2. Patterson will be a good player. He's young and good, and if you have the pitching to offset Schilling's loss (you seem determined to trade him, so I bet you do), then do it.