Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Do you use the word "gay" to describe something that bugs you?
Yes, it's a phrase I frequently use. 28 19.31%
Yes, it's a phrase I sometimes use. 36 24.83%
Yes, it's a phrase I rarely use. 19 13.10%
No, it's a phrase I never use. 62 42.76%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-2005, 02:14 AM   #1
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

"That is so gay"

Having played a significant amount of Xbox Live and having worked in a retail environment for several years, this is a phrase I hear a lot. Sometimes it's just boiled down to "that's gay." I'm putting up a simple poll because I'm curious how many FOFC'ers use the word "gay" to describe something they don't like or something that bothers them.

I'm not going to judge people based on their votes, so be honest. It's a private poll, so nobody will be able to see what you voted. I just want an honest answer from my fellow FOFC'ers.

I probably need a strong disclaimer for a thread that could be super-controversial, so here goes...

I don't care if you think being gay is okay.
I don't care if you think being gay is the worst thing ever.

THIS IS NOT A REFERENDUM ON HOMOSEXUALITY!!!

I just want to know if this is a phrase that you use in your everyday life. If you feel like replying in the thread, try to keep your responses around the question at hand. Is it a phrase your friends/family people use? Is it a phrase you hear coworkers use? Is it a phrase you never hear used? That's the point of this thread. Stay on-topic, or I'm sure the thread will be closed/deleted.

Votes in the poll are the #1 thing I'm looking for. Thanks in advance and please (for the love of god) keep it clean

kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 02:19 AM   #2
st.cronin
General Manager

I never use it and have never heard it from somebody older than 12.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 03:43 AM   #3
Vince
Pro Starter

It's a phrase I use too often. There is no defense for the crudeness of the phrase, but here we go anyways...

On my floor freshman year (I lived in one of two 10-story off-campus dorms, we associated by 'floor'), there was an openly homosexual person. He was a great guy, and was my roommate for the two years following my freshman year. I'm not sure if he started it or not, but because he had become so comfortable with his sexuality, and the fact that we all supported him, the phrase "that's so gay!" was used often, more as a joke than anything else (and the phrase was used quite often by the person in question, as well).

I have many friends who are openly or privately gay, and I have a tremendous amount of respect for them, and I would never want to belittle them. Yet I still use this phrase, and though I mean no disrespect to them by saying it, I still feel bad every time I do.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 03:47 AM   #4
RailsFS
Mascot

I use it frequently, and I think it is one of those "generational" words. I hear it all the time when I'm out (and I'd say it is commonly used by many people, mostly male, up to around the age of 25). Then again, maybe it's a regional thing.

Oh yeah, I have to say I never use it when I'm on Xbox Live. Since one has to put up with the constant racism, swearing, etc., I figure I don't want to become one of the jackasses.....nothing worse than having to listen to an 11 year old trying to make fun of someone.

But yeah, I'd say in my area, with my age group (18-25), using the term "gay" is very common to describe something.
RailsFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 03:50 AM   #5
RailsFS
Mascot

A little disclaimer: when using this term to describe something, it is almost never meant to be confused with anything "homosexual." Just to describe something stupid, uncool, lame, etc.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:54 AM   #6
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailsFS
A little disclaimer: when using this term to describe something, it is almost never meant to be confused with anything "homosexual." Just to describe something stupid, uncool, lame, etc.
Of course -- and to be honest, I usually only use the phrase around my little brother (23, one year younger than I am) or my friends from 8 North (my floor freshman year, the 8th floor of the north tower).
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Last edited by Vince : 10-19-2005 at 03:54 AM.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 04:03 AM   #7
SnowMan
High School Varsity

I hate it, and never use it. Our guild in WoW has gone as far as banning it from guild chat. It's use in online games is out of control, seems like all the kids use it these days. *sigh* I sound like an old man.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 05:38 AM   #8
korme
Go Reds

If this thread doesn't get out of hand, then it's a sign of the apocalypse.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 06:00 AM   #9
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Substitute retarded for gay and I wonder how this would turn out.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 06:23 AM   #10
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Never use it, doesn't bother me from a offensive standpoint. It's not used to call someone or something a homosexual, it's just slang for stupid. People who overuse it tend to annoy me, it's just a low level and ignorant way to express your thoughts.

Last edited by jeff061 : 10-19-2005 at 06:23 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 06:27 AM   #11
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061
Never use it, doesn't bother me from a offensive standpoint. It's not used to call someone or something a homosexual, it's just slang for stupid. People who overuse it tend to annoy me, it's just a low level and ignorant way to express your thoughts.

Agreed. I am not the most articulate person you'll meet, but I am certainly able to express my thoughts without using words like this.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 06:28 AM   #12
Joe
Pro Starter

this thread is gay
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 06:29 AM   #13
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I use it sometimes. But I use it to describe a stupid chain of events. Like getting dressed to go play basketball and it rains. I would say,"Wow thats gay as fuck oh well let me go play NCAA"
Old 10-19-2005, 06:57 AM   #14
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
I never use it and have never heard it from somebody older than 12.

Perhaps because I never hang out with anyone under the age of 35, but the only people I ever hear the term from are kids (and seeing it posted on message boards, by what I assume are also kids in most cases).

Personally, it's not offensive but it just sounds childish to my ears.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:28 AM   #15
Izulde
Head Coach

I say it all the time. Usually to the tune of "Christ, that's fucking gay, dude."

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:54 AM   #16
QuikSand
lolzcat

It is a patently offensive and bigoted thing to say 100% of the time, and it's a shame that many otherwise sensible people are somehow unable or unwilling to see that.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 08:17 AM   #17
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
It is a patently offensive and bigoted thing to say 100% of the time, and it's a shame that many otherwise sensible people are somehow unable or unwilling to see that.

there's a lot of patently offensive and bigoted words that I like to use, usually more for shock value than anything else. this is one of them.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:23 AM   #18
Eilim
High School Varsity

complete tangent time that might ended up with me being flamed...

Was curious if anyone knew at what times "queer" and "gay" came into being slang terms for homosexuality, and which came first?

Dola Edit: as in which came first in being used as a slang term as such.

Last edited by Eilim : 10-19-2005 at 08:24 AM.
Eilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 08:38 AM   #19
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I use it too much as well.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 08:41 AM   #20
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Here's an example of when I'd use it:

Asking about towels on FOFC is so gay.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 08:52 AM   #21
Subby
lolzcat

So what's worse? Saying "that's so retarded" or "that's so gay"?
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 08:56 AM   #22
KevinNU7
College Starter

Every once in a while I'll catch myself saying "that's gay" and I'll cringe and try to correct myself.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:56 AM   #23
Radii
Head Coach

I use it in text conversation more often than I should(from my EQ days I am sure), but I don't think I ever use it when speaking.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:09 AM   #24
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
I think it's a tie. If you can't come up with something better than calling something "gay" or "retarded," go buy a dictionary. Both are sophomoric at best, downright bigoted and offensive at worst.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu
THIS IS NOT A REFERENDUM ON HOMOSEXUALITY!!!
I think it is tagentially. I think someone who believes homosexuality is wrong is much more likely to regard that word "gay" as some kind of slur and use it as a slur. It's no different than in the Ozarks where I grew up when some of the old brain-dead hicks would try to insult a white person by saying they were a "n-----."

On the other side of the spectrum, someone who doesn't believe homosexuality is wrong I believe is more likely to perceive "gay" as a slur and will not use it in that context.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:14 AM   #25
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think it is tagentially. I think someone who believes homosexuality is wrong is much more likely to regard that word "gay" as some kind of slur and use it as a slur. It's no different than in the Ozarks where I grew up when some of the old brain-dead hicks would try to insult a white person by saying they were a "n-----."

On the other side of the spectrum, someone who doesn't believe homosexuality is wrong I believe is more likely to perceive "gay" as a slur and will not use it in that context.

I think most people who use the word freely don't even link it with homosexuality.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:15 AM   #26
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
I think most people who use the word freely don't even link it with homosexuality.

Bingo. I never link faggot with it either.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:17 AM   #27
Coder
College Prospect

I don't know really.. it's kind of tricky.. I believe that overuse of a negative word could neutralize it. Whenever I use the word gay in a negative situation, it's more of a "joking" remark than actually being mad at someone.. I never find myself using the word if I'm really pissed off at something.

Interestingly enough, I - being a Swedish speaker - never use the Swedish word for gay (bög), but the English word... Maybe this is an indication that the word has already been "neutralized".. I don't know..

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:18 AM   #28
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

guess it depends on who you are asking.
I don't like using "retarded", but I'm not sure I could come up with any logical argument as to why "gay" is ok and "retarded" is not.
for that matter, I abhor racial epitaphs, but are they patently worse than "gay" or "queer"? even with those, are there different levels? I can't even type - let alone say - the "N" word. I can write words like "chink" or "spic" or "kraut" but wouldn't ever even think to use them in speech, and would cringe (or worse) if I heard them. But I'm totally comfortable calling my British friend a "limey" or making fun of his teeth. why?
Old 10-19-2005, 09:22 AM   #29
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
guess it depends on who you are asking.
I don't like using "retarded", but I'm not sure I could come up with any logical argument as to why "gay" is ok and "retarded" is not.
for that matter, I abhor racial epitaphs, but are they patently worse than "gay" or "queer"? even with those, are there different levels? I can't even type - let alone say - the "N" word. I can write words like "chink" or "spic" or "kraut" but wouldn't ever even think to use them in speech, and would cringe (or worse) if I heard them. But I'm totally comfortable calling my British friend a "limey" or making fun of his teeth. why?

Because British people really are inferior and have bad teeth.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:33 AM   #30
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:

Yep.

I think it is horrible to use a term meaning "homosexual" as a synonym for stupid, lame, ignorant, etc. I have no idea how people can justify this and think it is not offensive.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:34 AM   #31
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

[bad joke]
That's so gay is worse, because the retarded people won't understand they're being insulted anyway.
[/bad joke]

*purchasing ticket for bus to hell*
Old 10-19-2005, 09:36 AM   #32
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:

This is how I feel as well.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:41 AM   #33
John Galt
Pro Starter

Not suprisingly, I agree with QS as well.

For those who feel it isn't their intent to disparage gays with their language choice, I just want to point out that you can offend without meaning to. Your intent does not control how a great many people perceive your language choice.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:50 AM   #34
colt45
n00b

I agree. In theory, it's a malicious and horrible term. But, honestly, I do find myself saying it occasionally. And it's always with the guys, watching the game, someone is whinning on the sidelines or something and the comment comes out. It's an odd, natural occurance. Not one I condone, mind you. But it does happen.
colt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 10:24 AM   #35
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Really? So if you walked around telling people you met that you were gay you wouldn't expect them to make a link either?

I've never understood folks who think that they're not insulting gay people by using 'gay' as a synonym for 'stupid', 'weak', 'sissy', etc. Is it really any different than telling somone not to be 'Jewish' and then reassuring them that "Don't worry, I wasn't talking about religion, I just meant to call you cheap and dishonest".
Old 10-19-2005, 10:24 AM   #36
RailsFS
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by colt45
I agree. In theory, it's a malicious and horrible term. But, honestly, I do find myself saying it occasionally. And it's always with the guys, watching the game, someone is whinning on the sidelines or something and the comment comes out. It's an odd, natural occurance. Not one I condone, mind you. But it does happen.

I think most that use "gay" often enough would agree with this. One of those things that you say, but realize you could (should) probably substitute another word in for it.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:26 AM   #37
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I use to say it a lot. But I thought it had gone out of style a few years back, never really hear it now.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 10:30 AM   #38
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Really? So if you walked around telling people you met that you were gay you wouldn't expect them to make a link either?

I've never understood folks who think that they're not insulting gay people by using 'gay' as a synonym for 'stupid', 'weak', 'sissy', etc. Is it really any different than telling somone not to be 'Jewish' and then reassuring them that "Don't worry, I wasn't talking about religion, I just meant to call you cheap and dishonest".

First off, just to re-iterate I never use the word.

Second off, being stupid does not relate to being gay and there is no stereotype involving being gay and stupid, at least not that I'm aware of. Unlike the connection that exists between money and jew.

That said, obviously I can't argue what is offensive to others. I had a lesbian teacher in high school and one of the students let the slang fly. She tore him apart, otherwise she was a very nice women with a long fuse.

Last edited by jeff061 : 10-19-2005 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:32 AM   #39
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

Second off, being stupid does not relate to being gay and there is no stereotype involving being gay and stupid, at least not that I'm aware of.

That said, obviously I can't argue what is offensive to others. I had a lesbian teacher in high school and one of the students let the slang fly. She tore him apart, otherwise she was a very nice women with a long fuse.

It doesn't make any sense unless you are interpreting gay in any other way as derogitory towards gay people.

If you are saying something is lame, stupid or whatever you are equating that with gay. ie gay being derogitory.

Otherwise the phrase means "that is so happy" or something.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:35 AM   #40
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Second off, being stupid does not relate to being gay and there is no stereotype involving being gay and stupid, at least not that I'm aware of. Unlike the connection that exists between money and jew.
True enough. But what if I just started using "jew" as a synonym for stupid? Wouldn't that be offensive? How is this different?
Old 10-19-2005, 10:39 AM   #41
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
True enough. But what if I just started using "jew" as a synonym for stupid? Wouldn't that be offensive? How is this different?

People already do.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 10:42 AM   #42
KevinNU7
College Starter

This thread is so jewish
Old 10-19-2005, 10:45 AM   #43
QuikSand
lolzcat

I use the sideline skin, so to me this thread is so black.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 10:46 AM   #44
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNU7
This thread is so jewish
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 10:47 AM   #45
KevinNU7
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd
you gotta know I'm kidding right?
Old 10-19-2005, 10:48 AM   #46
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNU7
you gotta know I'm kidding right?

I know.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 10:49 AM   #47
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
I use the sideline skin, so to me this thread is so black.

this thread is so yella.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 11:09 AM   #48
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:

Was she hot?
Old 10-19-2005, 11:42 AM   #49
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
Was she hot?

now we're getting somewhere!
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 11:55 AM   #50
Dutch
"Dutch"

This thread is so...American Christian white straight guy.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote