Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-26-2003, 06:06 PM   #1
Barkeep49
Coordinator

"Smart kids overanalyze things"

Check out this article which talks about the fuss over a sculpture of an ice penis at Harvard. I think about two things on this one.

I understand the women's point of view to a certain extent but at least at my campus I am bombarded with regular chalkings where the womyn's group tries to reclaim the use of the word c*nt. Now I don't know what its like at Harvard but if someone put that statue up on campus and it was torn down for the reasons in the article I'd be offended because of what I see as a double standard. At the same time I'm not sure that they don't have a right to be offended. Looking at Blackadar's work place is an example where such things can create a culture that is negative.

But what really galls me is this idea that the Washington monument and missiles and the like are phallic symbols. Does this make pens and pencils phallic symbols as well and those opressive to women?

Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 06:21 PM   #2
RendeR
Coordinator

I have to say, that professor they quoted is about as open minded as a black box. Threatened indeed. people need to realize that THEY are not the center of everyone elses universe. If people get offended, fine, say so, don't look at the offending literature or artwork or snow penis. If this had been a construction of something other than snow, something they had meant to last or at least meant to be moved at some later time, and those girls had destroyed it, I would have demanded their expulsion and probably sued them for it.

Men have every "right" to speak, create, and display their thoughts as openly and without fear of retribution as women do. Everyone needs to stop assuming that they can complain about something they individually dislike and force someone else to comply with them. Every single person has a choice to NOT take part/look at/listen to/read about etc etc anything they dislike or find offennsive. You do not have the "right" to force someone to comply with how you personally feel about something.

I live near harvard and frankly, a frighteningly large number of its staff and students are pathetically closed minded.

end rant

Ren
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 06:25 PM   #3
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

some of those chicks REALLY need to get laid
Old 02-26-2003, 06:30 PM   #4
mckerney
Coordinator

“Women do not need to be reminded of the power of the symbol of the male genitalia,” Rosenfeld said. “My guess is that they are constantly reminded of it in daily messages.”

How true, how true.

I remember in my school we started everyday with a message over the loudspeaker about how boys were better than girls because boys had penises.

And then who could forget penis supremecy week?
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 06:57 PM   #5
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Who is this person Debate and why were they stimulated by a snow penis?

Huh... oh well... to each their own.

Am I the only one that finds this line hilarious?

"The 9-foot snow phallus, constructed in Tercentenary Theater, was torn down just hours after its erection."
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 02-26-2003 at 06:58 PM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 08:11 PM   #6
sabotai
General Manager

Mustang, I saw that too. I laughed my ass off.

Penis supremecy week...that's classic. I nominate for QotM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote