Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-24-2017, 12:15 PM   #1
cheekimonk
High School Varsity

Samurai Showdown - TBD

Alright, with EF's race being delayed I thought I would pop in with a concept I've been working on for a while. Only had the one game in a long while so hopefully we can get a good roster for this one.

Aiming for Oct 23rd start with 9pm/10pm Eastern daily/nightly deadlines.

Samurai Summit

At the Battle of Sekigahara in 1600, Tokugawa Ieyasu's forces emerged victorious and, after a few more years of consolidating power, kicked off the Edo Period (1603-1868) of Japan which was defined by the rule of the Tokugawa Shogunate - where the leader of the clan is granted the ancient, hereditary title of "Shogun" and thus commands the loyalty of all "daimyo" (clan lords).

This being the first time the clans of Japan had been unified under the rule of one clan, every thing went smoothly and people were happy. Nah. This is a story of honor, betrayal, and, of course, death set among the political and cultural intricacies of this period.

Will be based the true history of the Edo Period and flavored by the historical fantasy works of Takashi Matsuoka's "Cloud of Sparrows" books and Lian Hearn's "Tales of the Otori" trilogy (recommended reading, although not for this game...they're just good books).

Mostly vanilla WW but with some interesting mechanics and twists that, hopefully, make for a good challenge.

Japanese Edo Period Clan Territories Map:

Last edited by cheekimonk : 12-02-2017 at 04:20 AM.
cheekimonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:16 PM   #2
cheekimonk
High School Varsity

Rules

Factions: Samurai; Ninja

Vote Deadline: 9:00pm Eastern

Night Deadline: 10:00pm Eastern

Day Actions: Highest voted samurai commits seppuku (ritual suicide)

Night Actions: Ninja go to work

PM Posting: No Direct Quoting Allowed: violators lose their ability for the remainder of the game

Upon Death: No PM'ing to other players until game is over

Last edited by cheekimonk : 09-24-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:16 PM   #3
cheekimonk
High School Varsity

Possible Roles

Not all roles included in the game. Number of samurai/ninja dependent on participation.

Note: Japanese traditionally went by Clan Name then First Name. So, the first Shogun, Tokugawa Ieyasu, was of the Tokugawa clan and was named Ieyasu.

Samurai
These are all possible samurai roles and not all these samurai will be present in the game.

Azai Nagamasa - Host of the events

Uesugi Tomosada - Ruling territories in the remote, mountainous forests of northern Japan, the Uesugi clan is mysterious and feared

Imagawa Noritaka - Witnessed the aftermath of his father's and uncle's deaths at the hands of ninja

Tokugawa Munetaka - Representative of the Shogun

Hosokawa Tadaoki - Grandfather was one of Taokugawa's top commanders

Date Masamune - Summoned from the far eastern coast of Japan

Kiso Kiyomasa - The Kiso daimyo switched sides before the Battle of Sekigahara to back Tokugawa

Takeda Takatora - The daimyo for Takeda Clan also switched sides but during the course of the battle

Saito Nobuyuki - Saito Clan holds a key crossroads territory and was crucial to Takugawa's victory and ensuring the Clan's continued rule

Oda Nagamasu - Oda's grandfather was the Oda daimyo and another top commander for Takugawa, but was more outspoken than Hosokawa when it came to battlefield strategy

Isshiki Shigekatsu - The Isshiki Clan was the farthest western clan in Takugawa's Eastern Army

Jinbo Yoshiaki - The Jinbo Clan controls a vital port on the north coast of Japan

Ninja
All samurai are familiar with the 4 major "paths" that ninja secretly study, focusing and mastering only one. This does not mean there are only 4 ninja.

Ninja of the Soaring Crane - The art of the Soaring Crane focuses on moving as less than a whisper: unheard and unseen. Pupils of this discipline are particularly useful when a target is surrounded by highly sensitive traps and warning triggers.

Ninja of the Avenging Spirits - The art of the Avenging Spirits prepares the ninja to respond quickly and precisely when surprise and subterfuge have failed and the ninja finds himself directly attacked. Unlike most ninja, students of discipline can draw upon the focused power of the samurai that is typically only gained with years of humble servitude to multiple masters and teachers.

Ninja of the Open Mind - Pupils of the Open Mind focus their arts on the study of human behavior and thinking. So skilled are they at reading body language and patterns of speech, it is thought that they can enter the mind of their target. Very valuable when knowing your enemy is key to defeating him…and how to defeat him. The Open Mind discipline shares the same roots as Soaring Crane, so knowledge of how to kill their enemy can be shared, if not the ability to discern their mind.

Ninja of the Cruel Fates - The disciples of the Cruel Fates gain their advantage by sowing discord and confusion in the company of their target before the strike. This is typically best accomplished by discretely attacking innocent persons in the audience of the target to create panic and fear, both of which cloud the mind of the target so he is more susceptible to a surprise strike.

Last edited by cheekimonk : 09-24-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:18 PM   #4
cheekimonk
High School Varsity

Player Signup List

1)EagleFan
2)CrimsonFox
3)Autumn
4)britrock88
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)
16)

Last edited by cheekimonk : 10-05-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:28 PM   #5
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

In, uncertain of my availability but will find check in times if I end up on a work trip.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:34 PM   #6
cheekimonk
High School Varsity

Introduction: Part One

The Tokugawa shogunate, whose rule defines the Edo Period in Japan which lasted from 1603 to 1868, was secured not only with military power – most famously in the pivotal, and ultimately deciding, Battle of Sekigahara in 1600 – but intricate political maneuvering. The latter so much so that entire clans were switching sides in the immediate leadup to Sekigahara and even during the battle itself. That, and the rulings of the Shogun immediately following the full consolidation of power in 1603, mean that cracks exist in the loyalty commanded by Tokugawa and that some clans remain openly hostile to the shogunate -with some just as fervently hostile but not openly so.

Rumors of insurrection among the Western clans have become more troubling with the powerful and wealthy Shimazu clan reportedly the leading agitators. As a preemptive move to avoid another bloodly, costly, and unpredictable conflict, the Shogun has commanded a number of his most loyal clans to send one samurai each as emissaries to travel into the heart of Western territories as a warning of the force Edo can wield against any rebellion. However, to avoid provoking a hostile response, the Shogun has stipulated that these samurai be men of low rank, of no great reknown, dressed in neutral, white attire bearing no clan “mon” (crest). It is decided that the men will assemble at a small, non-descript defensive installation on the Western border of Azai clan territory...

Last edited by cheekimonk : 09-26-2017 at 03:19 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:17 AM   #7
cheekimonk
High School Varsity

Reserved
Old 09-26-2017, 08:48 PM   #8
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:24 PM   #9
cheekimonk
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post

Woot!
Old 09-28-2017, 02:27 PM   #10
cheekimonk
High School Varsity

Doesn't look like we're getting much traction on this one. I'll keep an eye on it...hopefully can do the 9 Oct start.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:52 PM   #11
Autumn
Head Coach

Sign me up
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:10 PM   #12
cheekimonk
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Sign me up

Wooty woot
Old 10-02-2017, 11:24 PM   #13
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

It honestly looks like a terrific game, cheek. But I am just too busy right now with my new job. Weird schedule, too. I couldn't guarantee I could be around at key times during the game.

Good luck. If you get it going, I will follow along when I can.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:17 AM   #14
cheekimonk
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
It honestly looks like a terrific game, cheek. But I am just too busy right now with my new job. Weird schedule, too. I couldn't guarantee I could be around at key times during the game.

Good luck. If you get it going, I will follow along when I can.

No prob, CR! It looks like it will be delayed so hopefully you'll have more time when it gets off the ground.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:42 PM   #15
britrock88
Pro Starter

Sure!
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:34 PM   #16
cheekimonk
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Sure!

bam!
Old 10-06-2017, 11:50 AM   #17
cheekimonk
High School Varsity

I'll keep checking back but we obviously won't make 10/9...we'll get it started ASAP
Old 10-09-2017, 08:53 AM   #18
Autumn
Head Coach

I never think to check these boards anymore, and this time I didn't even get a notification that I was getting private messages. I think that's the case with a lot of WW players. We should put together an e-mail list or something for when people want to get a game going.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:25 PM   #19
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Discord seems all the rage nowadays.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:44 AM   #20
cheekimonk
High School Varsity

Quote:
I never think to check these boards anymore, and this time I didn't even get a notification that I was getting private messages. I think that's the case with a lot of WW players. We should put together an e-mail list or something for when people want to get a game going.

That's not a bad idea but how would we implement? Would everyone feel comfortable sharing their email? Could set up a group on Meetup or something like that...
Old 10-10-2017, 05:25 PM   #21
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I know that I hate that 5 person PM limit.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:24 AM   #22
cheekimonk
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I know that I hate that 5 person PM limit.

Word
Old 10-12-2017, 08:16 AM   #23
cheekimonk
High School Varsity

I've created a Meetup group for WW games. It can be found at the link below. This will give us a central, mostly anonymous (just need a Meetup account) place to coordinate new games. Hit the link and signup!

(Don't worry about "Nashville"...you just have to pick a city)

Werewolf Meetup

Last edited by cheekimonk : 10-12-2017 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:55 AM   #24
cheekimonk
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekimonk View Post
I've created a Meetup group for WW games. It can be found at the link below. This will give us a central, mostly anonymous (just need a Meetup account) place to coordinate new games. Hit the link and signup!

(Don't worry about "Nashville"...you just have to pick a city)

Werewolf Meetup

Welp, nevermind...
Old 10-14-2017, 10:47 AM   #25
Autumn
Head Coach

Why are we never minding?
Old 10-14-2017, 11:28 AM   #26
cheekimonk
High School Varsity

Quote:
Why are we never minding?

Oh, nevermind for the Meetup group. Apparently that's only for groups meeting up in RL. Was trying to find a central spot for when games spin up. This one is still open!
Old 10-14-2017, 11:32 AM   #27
cheekimonk
High School Varsity

New start target = Mon, 23rd October
Old 10-18-2017, 04:32 AM   #28
cheekimonk
High School Varsity

Still active for signup!