Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-05-2021, 11:18 AM   #701
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Kevin Spacey, great actor and irredeemable duche.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 01:45 PM   #702
Edward64
Head Coach

Anyone still holding on to Gamestop?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 02:01 PM   #703
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I have some play money in it, but I bought it for the ride ticket and theoretical cause not for the investment.

This morning was fun to dream on again

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-05-2021 at 02:02 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:56 PM   #704
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Was enjoying the "after glow" of a pretty good day (actually 4 days), flipping channels and ended up on Fox Business.

They were doing short interviews with small business owners and how pandemic, relief bills etc. were helping/not. This segment was really non-political, just small business owners sharing stories which I thought was interesting. There should be more of these segments.

And then at the top of the hour, Lou Dobbs came on and I had to change it. I enjoyed Lou when he was doing CNN business.

Fox Business must have read this thread.

Quote:
Lou Dobbs, the longtime host of the signature right-wing talk show on the Fox Business Network, was canned by the network on Friday night.

"Lou Dobbs Tonight" is off the air, effective immediately, a Fox spokesperson confirmed. An interim show will take Dobbs' place at 5 and 7 p.m. Eastern starting Monday.

It was a head-scratching change by Fox Business, since Dobbs was its highest-rated host, albeit on a relatively low-rated network. He often doubled his lead-in's ratings, which is a rare feat in television.
Old 02-06-2021, 06:46 AM   #705
Hammer
College Prospect

Anyone in on the crpto Ethereum?
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:57 AM   #706
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Anyone in on the crpto Ethereum?

Nope. But please share your strategy
Old 02-06-2021, 08:14 AM   #707
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I have some play money in it, but I bought it for the ride ticket and theoretical cause not for the investment.

This morning was fun to dream on again

SI

Same here, 1 share @94.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 09:29 AM   #708
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Oh, I'm also there for the r/wsb meme game which is of highly variable quantity but is also very prolific

SI

Old 02-06-2021, 10:46 AM   #709
lungs
Pro Rookie

I've been reading r/robinhoodpennystocks for penny stock ideas. Plenty of BS to be found but a few that I've hit on the past few weeks:

ATOS - Got in January 25 @ $2.47 and bought more a few days later @ $2.14 for an average of $2.36. It's at $3.94 now. The original buzz was about an intra-nasal COVID vaccine but they have a promising breast cancer drug that shot the price up this week.

ZOM - Got in January 28 @ $0.96. Started shooting up and I bought more @ $1.39. My current average cost is $1.20 and the stock shot up to $1.87 since. They are introducing some diagnostic type stuff where vets will be able to run a lot more tests in-house on your pets rather than sending off to a lab.

PTE - This is my newest penny stock. Just got in @ $1.17, price is $1.19. They are filing some patents on some skin transplant technology.

Got out of Smith & Wesson. Bought some before the election, made some small gains but I think the upside was limited as it went up quite a bit after COVID started.

Only meme stock I bought was Nokia. That's been a loser so far. I didn't put much in, as I was late to the meme stock party. Nokia manages and puts their equipment on about half the 5G tower upgrades I inspect so they aren't just a washed up phone company. So I don't necessarily think it's a loser long term but Samsung is getting into this space too. And I much prefer to inspect the Ericsson installs.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 05:18 PM   #710
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Dogecoin going crazy right now.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 02:57 AM   #711
Hammer
College Prospect

Quote:
Nope. But please share your strategy

I am more a traditional long term investor. Never touched crypto, but started watching more closely and reading about it in more depth.

Tempted to put down half a days pay on a dozen or so of these smaller cryptos. If just 1 take off you would be on a big winner.

Starting to look more likely they are going to hang around and gain traction. Or at least some of them will. Not at a point where I can have an educated guess which ones until they start moving.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:22 AM   #712
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I am more a traditional long term investor. Never touched crypto, but started watching more closely and reading about it in more depth.

Tempted to put down half a days pay on a dozen or so of these smaller cryptos. If just 1 take off you would be on a big winner.

Starting to look more likely they are going to hang around and gain traction. Or at least some of them will. Not at a point where I can have an educated guess which ones until they start moving.

I've considered doing something like this, too, for just the same reason. There are two questions that have stopped me:
1) Which currencies
2) What platform would you use to invest in them? In multiple ones, I mean.

SI

Old 02-07-2021, 10:15 AM   #713
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

DOGECOIN!!!!!!!

Going crazy right now.
Old 02-07-2021, 12:37 PM   #714
Edward64
Head Coach

Okay, I signed up with coinbase.

Other than BIT and ETH, what should I buy?
Old 02-08-2021, 12:31 PM   #715
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

How nice of Musk and Tesla to buy a giant stash of bitcoin. Here I was thinking they gave a shit about the environment.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:02 PM   #716
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
MJ is now a shade below 20 and I'm in the black after carrying it as a loser under the R's and continuing to buy into the drop.

Three weeks later and it's still moving up over 25 today.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:05 AM   #717
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
ZOM - Got in January 28 @ $0.96. Started shooting up and I bought more @ $1.39. My current average cost is $1.20 and the stock shot up to $1.87 since. They are introducing some diagnostic type stuff where vets will be able to run a lot more tests in-house on your pets rather than sending off to a lab.

I bought ZOM at 0.23 a while back and sold when it got up to 1.10 here a few days ago. Looks like I got out too early. Hard to turn down 4x your money though.
Old 02-09-2021, 07:07 AM   #718
Edward64
Head Coach

Been monitoring NXTD just for the heck of it. Up 37% yesterday. These penny stocks are a little too much gambling for my heart.

But then SPCE (Virgin Galactic) has been on a tear lately because ARK funds have announced an ARK Space fund. When that comes out, I think I'll swap out my SPCE for it. TBH, I'm not sure I believe in viability of SPCE but do believe in SpaceX so assume that new fund will get first dibs on any SpaceX IPO.
Old 02-09-2021, 03:37 PM   #719
SackAttack
Head Coach

I decided to start investing my tip money from work (which, y'know, ain't a ton, but it's not nothing).

Created an account with Firstrade and waiting for them to finalize everything. At which point I'll probably be investing about $20/month. Whee.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 04:37 PM   #720
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
I bought ZOM at 0.23 a while back and sold when it got up to 1.10 here a few days ago. Looks like I got out too early. Hard to turn down 4x your money though.

You'll never lose taking 4x profits! Which leads me to......

Quote:
Been monitoring NXTD just for the heck of it. Up 37% yesterday. These penny stocks are a little too much gambling for my heart.

I'm currently at exactly 400% gains on this stock. I almost pulled the trigger and sold when it seemed like Bitcoin was running out of steam before this latest run up this week.

Did some consolidation today... Took some profits from TBLT, put the majority in ARKK. Put the rest into EAST and watched it go from $2.07 when I bought to a high of $3.27 today, only to bounce back down to $2.65 after-hours. Still a solid day's work.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:16 PM   #721
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Sold my dogecoin at a %50 profit and put the money in Litecoin
Old 02-10-2021, 06:02 AM   #722
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm adjusting my core holdings some. Currently with a lot in SCHD, VDIGX and VWENX (think dividend growers and value oriented companies) and exchanging a % to add VWUSX (think more MAGA & tech growth companies).

VWUSX is a Morningstar 5-star with a 2020 return of 58% vs S&P of 16%. These MAGA & tech companies benefited from the pandemic last year which included a recession and 2 corrections. So my thought process is that they should do well in the next 2-4 years at least as I don't see MAGA dropping off (or at least, if they do drop off, they will rebound quicker than others).

Biggest concern is VWUSX has 4+% in Tesla. I also have ARKK which has like 10% in Tesla. So somewhat concerned I am overweight on Tesla which I believe in but not sure I believe that much in.

Two questions:

Anyone think that MAGA and other tech companies will perform worse than the market in the next 2-4 years?

Bitcoin seems to have finally established a foothold with traditional investors and future looks promising. I have a small bit with GBTC (bitcoin trust) and wondering if I should add a little more to it. Anyone think that Bitcoin won't do well in the long term (5+ years) albeit with a bumpy ride?

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-10-2021 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-10-2021, 07:39 AM   #723
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Dumb question: What's a MAGA company?

SI

Old 02-10-2021, 08:16 AM   #724
wustin
College Prospect

GME really did a number for memestocks. Anything remotely fomo starts ripping crazy.

All of the weed stocks are up over 30% from closing
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:12 AM   #725
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wustin View Post
GME really did a number for memestocks. Anything remotely fomo starts ripping crazy.

At the moment I've almost doubled up on my MJ position. It's over 32 right now. I think my average pps is around 18.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:31 AM   #726
Hammer
College Prospect

Quote:
Anyone think that Bitcoin won't do well in the long term (5+ years) albeit with a bumpy ride?

I have been reading a lot lately, and honestly can't say I have an opinion. So called experts are so incredibly divided. Who do you believe Elon Musk or Warren Buffet?

I am around 50% it will be up in 5 years. I am not tempted now. I may go in lightly when everyone stops talking about it. You have to figure it will see $20k at some point, maybe buy in then.

I am a little surprised such a huge buy in from a global figure had a relatively small impact. I also find it very odd he bought in now. Why now at right around an all time high. That's odd to me.

I think my no.1 concern is the powers that be lean on bitcoin at some point. Ultimately the more people invest in it, the less they invest elsewhere. With governments not benefiting from bitcoin at some point they make think it is worth while to jump in, and not in a good way for investors.

I also think it is fairly likely that bitcoin falls out of favour to another crypto, at some point. I have always liked to invest is business which are dominant in the market. Companies which have a strangle hold for one reason or another. I don't see that bitcoin has that. Fickle investors won't have brand loyalty. Tech moves on quickly. But it has held strong this long, so who knows. All guess work.

For me bitcoin would be a buy cheap, sell dear short term thing, rather than my standard buy and hold
Old 02-10-2021, 01:01 PM   #727
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Dumb question: What's a MAGA company?

SI

Someone last year coined MAGA for Microsoft, Apple, Google and Amazon.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:03 PM   #728
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Wouldn't mind is MJ was legal nationwide. Smoke weed in your house, no driving etc.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:10 PM   #729
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I have been reading a lot lately, and honestly can't say I have an opinion. So called experts are so incredibly divided. Who do you believe Elon Musk or Warren Buffet?

I am around 50% it will be up in 5 years. I am not tempted now. I may go in lightly when everyone stops talking about it. You have to figure it will see $20k at some point, maybe buy in then.

I've got some FOMO. As bitcoin becomes more mainstream, it may never go back down to that level.

Quote:
I also think it is fairly likely that bitcoin falls out of favour to another crypto, at some point. I have always liked to invest is business which are dominant in the market. Companies which have a strangle hold for one reason or another. I don't see that bitcoin has that. Fickle investors won't have brand loyalty. Tech moves on quickly. But it has held strong this long, so who knows. All guess work.

From what I've read, Bitcoin does have the first adopter/mover advantage. ETH may get there but bets are its Bitcoin and Ethereum, the others are also rans right now.

China is creating its own digital currency so I can see that could be a player. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the bigger US companies create their own. But for now, it's those 2 from what I know.

But yeah, I'm optimistic in long term future just not sure if the market is stable enough right now for an investor (vs trader).
Old 02-10-2021, 04:21 PM   #730
Hammer
College Prospect

Good luck Edward. Are you buying in, or have you bought in?
Why didn't we all buy in at $4k!?
Old 02-10-2021, 04:56 PM   #731
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Good luck Edward. Are you buying in, or have you bought in?
Why didn't we all buy in at $4k!?

Kinda sorta. I have not bought Bitcoin but have bought a little GBTC ETF which is a "trust" that holds Bitcoin.

Still not sure how much I want to go in.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:46 PM   #732
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I think Bitcoin runs into a massive problem when it closes in on the 21 million mark. If they decide to up the number of possible coins so many people in that world will feel betrayed. Ethereum seems like a really safe bet since it's kinda dominating the DeFi market - it seems like they'll either be the market leader or bought out by one of those MAGA-type companies to own the market.

I do think there will be increasing government restrictions - I've heard the IRS is being told to go hard after people who may own BTC or other non governmental currencies and don't report gains correctly, won't surprise me if they try harder to prevent adoption as it becomes a real threat to controlling the monetary supply.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:56 PM   #733
SackAttack
Head Coach

12% appreciation on my whopping 3 shares my first day as an investor. This is sustainable, right?
Old 02-11-2021, 07:53 AM   #734
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

My understanding with Bitcoin is that it has a serious and fundamental scale problem and, as such, is absolutely terrible for the environment as each new coin requires more and more time and energy to mine. Has this changed?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 02-11-2021, 12:45 PM   #735
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
My understanding with Bitcoin is that it has a serious and fundamental scale problem and, as such, is absolutely terrible for the environment as each new coin requires more and more time and energy to mine. Has this changed?

That's an oversimplification, as I understand it.

It's not that mining each new coin "requires" more energy, it's that there's a finite amount of obtainable Bitcoin, so as each new coin is mined, that reduces the amount that's left.

That turns it into an arms race for the miners; it's not that you need more energy to get the Bitcoin, it's that you need the more powerful hardware (and thus access to cheaper energy to make the effort worth it) to get the Bitcoin before the other miners do.

If the stuff were infinite, it wouldn't have a perceived value high enough to justify building server farms in Brazil to get the stuff, which is the sort of activity that's bad for the environment but also which escalates the arms race that CAUSES that.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:15 PM   #736
Hammer
College Prospect

In effect I see it that the higher the value of bitcoin, the more effort and thus energy will be put in to obtaining it. Current estimates are that it is around the same energy output mining bitcoin as the entire country of Argentina. As it scales up it brings it in to conflict with the climate agenda and governments. Throw in the financial side of it, you have to figure a collision course is likely that will ultimately cause its value to drop. I am only wondering why they haven't acted yet. Any theories on that?
Old 02-11-2021, 02:57 PM   #737
Edward64
Head Coach

Markets indices have been placid (?) this week. Up-down-up-down, seemingly no direction.

Taking a breather from last week and maybe just waiting for the impeachment to be over and stimulus talk to start again.

BMBL (Bumble) shot up today, I bought a little for my fun portfolio. I've done well with my "what the hell" picks with SPCE and GBTC so far. I can see BMBL having "legs" (no pun intended).
Old 02-11-2021, 03:00 PM   #738
molson
General Manager

If you ironically bought moviepass (HMNY) last week you could have sold up about 10X yesterday. (0.0012 to 0.0120) For some reason. I don't know if that's just normal sub-penny stock nonsense or what. With all of the reverse splits and everything, one of those .0120 shares was once worth $7,000.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 06:21 AM   #739
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
If you ironically bought moviepass (HMNY) last week you could have sold up about 10X yesterday. (0.0012 to 0.0120) For some reason. I don't know if that's just normal sub-penny stock nonsense or what. With all of the reverse splits and everything, one of those .0120 shares was once worth $7,000.

I bought a bunch of shares of it at 8 cents a while back. I thought that surely they would find a seller. Spoiler alert, they did not. I figure why sell it now though. That's a long term hold that I'm actually surprised still exists.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:35 PM   #740
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
BMBL (Bumble) shot up today, I bought a little for my fun portfolio. I've done well with my "what the hell" picks with SPCE and GBTC so far. I can see BMBL having "legs" (no pun intended).

BMBL up +7% today, nice 1-day profit. Enough for a Mellow Mushroom pizza this weekend !!

I should join /wsb

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-12-2021 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:13 PM   #741
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

What's the appeal of Bumble anyways? At least from a male perspective. As a single guy I would love a dating app that works w/o charging crazy fees.
Old 02-13-2021, 03:59 AM   #742
wustin
College Prospect

Anyone have any positions in ARK ETFs? I'm considering just going balls deep next Tuesday and saving some money for ARKX.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 05:35 AM   #743
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
What's the appeal of Bumble anyways? At least from a male perspective. As a single guy I would love a dating app that works w/o charging crazy fees.

From what I've read (no real world experience), Bumble is geared towards the woman. She initiates and has more control vs a free for all like Tinder (the Bumble founder came from there or one of those sites). I've read that a woman gets better quality dates, better experiences etc.

Besides dating, I can see Bumble capitalizing (monetizing) other things if they have women's attention.

In reality, I don't really know. I bought it on a lark because it was first day IPO. I do think there is a place for Bumble vs meat markets but no idea if they can scale and continue growing.

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-13-2021 at 05:54 AM.
Old 02-13-2021, 05:54 AM   #744
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Anyone have any positions in ARK ETFs? I'm considering just going balls deep next Tuesday and saving some money for ARKX.

I bought some ARKK sometime 4Q 2020 because of all the good news they had. I've started adding more. It's not quite a "core" position yet but it's no longer just in my fun portfolio either.

To me Tech is the place to be for the next 2-5 years. In another post, I stated I was more of a dividend grower guy (VDIGX, SCHD) but Tech did so well last year, under such uncertainty and economic mess, that I am becoming more of a tech Growth (vs Value) guy.

The question now that I'm asking is do I go for the more traditional Tech (like VWUSX) or the newer, up-and-coming Tech (like ARKK). I think I feel more comfortable with traditional like VWUSX.

FWIW - check ARK funds portfolio holdings (morningstar.com). Many ARK funds have a lot of Tesla (like 10%). One of their funds also has a lot of GBTC (bitcoin trust).
Old 02-13-2021, 08:03 AM   #745
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
From what I've read (no real world experience), Bumble is geared towards the woman. She initiates and has more control vs a free for all like Tinder (the Bumble founder came from there or one of those sites). I've read that a woman gets better quality dates, better experiences etc.

Besides dating, I can see Bumble capitalizing (monetizing) other things if they have women's attention.

In reality, I don't really know. I bought it on a lark because it was first day IPO. I do think there is a place for Bumble vs meat markets but no idea if they can scale and continue growing.

One of my best friends is a single mom and she is on bumble and this is pretty accurate. The woman basically controls the whole experience. Not getting unsolicited dick pics is apparently a strong selling point.
Old 02-13-2021, 08:50 AM   #746
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I'm looking forward to the Roblox (RBLX) direct listing. Supposedly sometime this month, though I haven't seen any specific dates. The way I see my kids and their friends repeatedly being drawn back into it and how creators can monetize their games on the platform it seems like a good bet.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:06 AM   #747
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I'm looking forward to the Roblox (RBLX) direct listing. Supposedly sometime this month, though I haven't seen any specific dates. The way I see my kids and their friends repeatedly being drawn back into it and how creators can monetize their games on the platform it seems like a good bet.

Oh wow, I'll jump on that for sure
Old 02-13-2021, 10:19 AM   #748
kingfc22
Head Coach

Yes. I’m going to be all over the Roblox listing.
Old 02-13-2021, 11:36 AM   #749
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
One of my best friends is a single mom and she is on bumble and this is pretty accurate. The woman basically controls the whole experience. Not getting unsolicited dick pics is apparently a strong selling point.

Good to know. I have a SIL that is single, was going to ask the wife to ask her.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:20 PM   #750
Edward64
Head Coach

I noticed AAPL stock was ticking down past week or so. Warren Buffett announced today he sold about 6% of his Apple holdings to buy Chevron & Verizon.

No idea his rationale (probably take some profits) but I'm HODLING my Apple shares for the long term.

Com'on you Stimulus bill. It's obvious now that this isn't going to be bi-partisan so let's move forward.