Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-26-2006, 01:16 PM   #1
jbmagic
Pro Starter

My Oakland Raiders looking great in preseason.

My Oakland Raiders looking great in preseason.

The offensive line is looking great and giving QB brooks time to do his thing.

The defense is playing well.

I hope they can continue this in the regular season.

jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 01:21 PM   #2
Riggins44
High School JV

Hmmm, I'm going to predict a 6-10 season for your Aaron Brooks led Raiders. But isn't that 2 games better than last year?
Riggins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 01:22 PM   #3
st.cronin
General Manager

jbmagic = AlDavis?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 01:24 PM   #4
bhlloy
Coordinator

Eh... they have looked good but Brooks is still going to make horrible decisions that will cost the team at least 2-3 wins and Lamont Jordan still isn't an elite back. I see the Raiders at 8-8 but they could well win a couple more and sneak a wildcard.

On a related note - Kirk Morrison looks like the next great Raiders linebacker. He's been dominant in the running game and made a couple of great plays in the passing game. He's going to be a good one.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 01:26 PM   #5
Joe
Pro Starter

they are going with Aaron Brooks as their starting QB?
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 01:27 PM   #6
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
they are going with Aaron Brooks as their starting QB?

Yes. Art Shell already said so.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:30 PM   #7
bhlloy
Coordinator

Walter has lnot looked like an NFL quarterback... at least Brooks has experience. Personally, I'd give Tuiasasopo another look - he's always been unlucky with injuries and I'm not sure he'd be much worse than the other 2 options.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 01:32 PM   #8
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

The "Pre" at the beginning of Preseason is very meaningful. I'm a fan, and I'd say it is way too soon to prognosticate greatness.

As for Aaron Brooks. Randy Moss made Culpepper look great, so maybe Brooks has enough talent receive the "Moss Boost".
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 04:04 PM   #9
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I think that in all aspects of the game the Raiders will improve...their greatest gain will be in defense this year, but they also will improve in special teams and offense. Despite all of that, the AFC West is pretty tough and I think they'll go 8-8.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 04:22 PM   #10
jbmagic
Pro Starter

I see them going 10-6
Old 08-26-2006, 04:27 PM   #11
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Walter will be the starter by the end of the year.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 04:29 PM   #12
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls
Walter will be the starter by the end of the year.

If brooks get the protection from the offensive line than I see Brooks doing very well and playing the whole season.

I only see Walter in there if the Raiders are out of the playoff or If Brooks gets hurt.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:31 PM   #13
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
I see them going 10-6

I see you needing new glasses.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 04:35 PM   #14
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example
I see you needing new glasses.

They will play all season with Art Shell the coach there.

Everyone there respect him a lot. They will not quit
Old 08-26-2006, 04:47 PM   #15
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
They will play all season with Art Shell the coach there.

Everyone there respect him a lot. They will not quit

except for Moss
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:01 PM   #16
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

An Aaron Brooks-led team going 10-6 in a division that's got three very strong teams in it. HAHAHAHAHAHA!
Old 08-26-2006, 05:12 PM   #17
Tigercat
College Starter

Aaron Brooks has the physical and mental ability to be a pro bowl QB. I don't think he will be able to fight past his own laid back tendencies to ever realize that potential, however. He's a good guy, hes just not enough of a fighter to improve himself play by play second by second like the best QBs do.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:41 PM   #18
Phoenix
Mascot

They will struggle w/ Aaron Brooks and pay the price for disrespecting Kerry Collins.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:47 PM   #19
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix
They will struggle w/ Aaron Brooks
OK, I'm with you on this part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix
and pay the price for disrespecting Kerry Collins.
HAHAHAHAHAHA!
Old 08-26-2006, 05:58 PM   #20
AgustusM
College Prospect

I am not a Raiders fan and I have only seen about a half (the half they played the Niners) but I must say the most impressive thing I have seen from the Raiders this pre-season is the low amount of points they are allowing in every game.

yes, it is only pre-season and starters aren't playing and everyone is running vanilla stuff - but still only allowing 8 points a game at any level of football is damn good, you get defense like that and the Raiders could be a very surprising team.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:39 PM   #21
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

they have looked great the last couple of games, but I don't see them doing more than 8-8.

I disagree with the person who said Walter doesn't look like an NFL quarterback. He's looked great every chance he's had (grated that's only been preseason the last two years and he did look shaky against Minnesota). The main worry is he was injured during his senior year, injured all last season, and sat out last night's game with a minor injury.

Although I don't see them going to the playoffs this year, I think the future is bright. They've got a lot of quality young players on defense:

DE Burgess 28
DT Kelly 25
DT Sapp 34
DE Brayton 26

OLB Howard 23
MLB Morrison 24
OLB Williams 26

CB Asomugha 25
FS Schweigert 25
SS Huff 23
CB Washington 23

Other than Sapp,they are all day one picks going into their prime over the next few years. And the offensive line is the same way with guys like Gallery, Grove, Langston Walker, and Paul McQuistan.

Everything might fall apart, but there's also a chance that they could be very good over the next few years. At the very least I think they are going in the right direction by building a young defense and offensive line from within instead of relying on too many veteran castoffs as they've been prone to do over the years.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:20 PM   #22
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
An Aaron Brooks-led team going 10-6 in a division that's got three very strong teams in it. HAHAHAHAHAHA!
For real, I'd say the Broncos are a very strong team. The Chiefs are a question mark in my mind and they could go either way this year under Herm Edwards. Al Saunders went to Washington, so we'll see what happens with Trent Green. If Larry Johnson stays healthy and their D is good I can see them being a strong team...but they're still a question mark in my mind.

The Chargers, on the other hand, are unproven with Philip Rivers at the helm. True they have Tomlinson and Gates, but Rivers touches the ball all of the offensive snaps. I think they're a huge question mark.

So, my best hope is that the Raiders go 2nd in the division this year. I think it's certainly possible...but not probable.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:31 PM   #23
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggins44
Hmmm, I'm going to predict a 6-10 season for your Aaron Brooks led Raiders. But isn't that 2 games better than last year?

You really think they'll do that well? I'm hoping they fall into the fiery pits of hell, or go back to Los Angeles and polute another city with their shitfest "play".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:54 PM   #24
TroyF
Coordinator

Lets see, the Raiders. Lets predict what they'll do.

They'll play a couple of strong games early in the season. Maybe beat the Chargers (who will be just fine under Rivers BTW). They'll be 2-2 or 1-3 and people will start calling them the best damned 2-2 team in the NFL and predict a division championship.

Then the wheels will fall off and the team will go to hell. Every year. Every single year.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 11:59 PM   #25
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I see them going 10-6

Thank you, I needed a good laugh.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 12:01 AM   #26
Mo.Raider
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Then the wheels will fall off and the team will go to hell. Every year. Every single year.

Every year? They have the best winning percentage in pro football history.

Every year there is an unexpected team that rises up and exceeds expectations. I think this is the year of the Raider. Art Shell gets coach of the year, and the Raiders go 10-6 and then deep into the playoffs. I was cautiously optimistic earlier at 8-8, but the Raiders have had an "old school" tough camp. Art is also instilling in them the Raider pride that has definitly been lacking in recent years.

I also think the Raiders have added so much speed, especially on defense, that the AFC west will find them a little nasty to deal with. With Art and Co. finally making some of these guys live up to their potential, I see an exciting Raider revival on the horizon.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:19 AM   #27
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
Lets see, the Raiders. Lets predict what they'll do.

They'll play a couple of strong games early in the season. Maybe beat the Chargers (who will be just fine under Rivers BTW). They'll be 2-2 or 1-3 and people will start calling them the best damned 2-2 team in the NFL and predict a division championship.

They had some good years when Art Shell was the coach before.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:26 AM   #28
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo.Raider
Every year? They have the best winning percentage in pro football history.

Every year there is an unexpected team that rises up and exceeds expectations. I think this is the year of the Raider. Art Shell gets coach of the year, and the Raiders go 10-6 and then deep into the playoffs. I was cautiously optimistic earlier at 8-8, but the Raiders have had an "old school" tough camp. Art is also instilling in them the Raider pride that has definitly been lacking in recent years.

I also think the Raiders have added so much speed, especially on defense, that the AFC west will find them a little nasty to deal with. With Art and Co. finally making some of these guys live up to their potential, I see an exciting Raider revival on the horizon.

OK, they had one nice little run under Gruden in the last two decades. In the last 20 years, they've won 10 or more games 5 times. One of those was a 10 win season where they won 9 games by a TD or less. (under Shell for what it's worth)

Now I'm supposed to believe Aaron Brooks is going to lead them to a 10 win record in one of the most difficult divisions in pro football? With an offensive coordinator who has spent the last decade fishing in Idaho?

Sorry, I see potential there. They have some young guns who can play defense and play it well. That said, outside of Burgess, there is no pass rush there. They gave up one of the highest opposing QB ratings of any team last year. Of their last six losses, they were in one game, agianst Cleveland with Charlie Frye making one of his first starts.

And even this preseason, what's to get excited about? They played Philly where McNabb played one series and had a 60+ yard TD drive. They played the Vikings, where Brad Johnson played two series. One a three and out then a long TD drive. Then they wiped out two horrific offenses, both with new coordinators who are still trying to figure out personell.

No disrespect to the Raiders, but I don't see a strong team here. In a few years, with a good QB and a good coaching staff, maybe. But with this group? 8-8 or worse. Moss will put Brooks in a stranglehold by week 5. One single injury to the defensive line (especially Burgess who had a history of injuries prior to last year) and the team will fall apart. It won't shock me if they beat Sd on opening night with Rivers having opening game jitters. I'd be shocked if they finished any higher than 3rd in the AFC West and expect them to finish 4th.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:47 PM   #29
Dwolfson20
n00b

This thread is great. The Raiders? 10-6? This year? You've got to be shitting me.
Dwolfson20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 04:50 PM   #30
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwolfson20
This thread is great. The Raiders? 10-6? This year? You've got to be shitting me.

Yes it can be done.

Remember Tampa Bay winning the Superbowl and next season they didnt even make the playoffs.

Teams can turn it around.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:54 PM   #31
Mo.Raider
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwolfson20

That sounds almost exactly like comments by Irvin on the first pre-game. His comments made me a little more confident because I always know he has no idea what he is talking about .
Old 08-27-2006, 05:42 PM   #32
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

You know what? I might have been wrong all along. The Raiders can go 10-6, or maybe even 11-5. Someone just point me to the article that shows that they got moved to the NFC North, and I think I can see where people are coming from.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:13 PM   #33
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Yes it can be done.

Remember Tampa Bay winning the Superbowl and next season they didnt even make the playoffs.

Teams can turn it around.
FWIW, I don't think this is a good example.

#1: There's a huge difference in toppling from the top than jumping up from the bottom; in other words, it's far easier to get really bad than it is to get really good.

#2: When Tampa Bay won the Superbowl, the Raiders' fall was much worse the next season.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:05 PM   #34
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm really looking forward to bumping this thread in a few months.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 11:22 PM   #35
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
I'm really looking forward to bumping this thread in a few months.

Don't worry. It'll get bumped when the Raiders grab their first win and bumped again when they lose a close game to a good team.

By the time mid season has set in, then you'll have to worry about bumping it up.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:29 PM   #36
Izulde
Head Coach

I think Art Shell is a damn fine coach, but Al Davis won't give him the freedom a head coach should rightfully have.

That and the Raiders suck it against their division, so I'd consider 8-8 a minor miracle of a season.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 11:30 PM   #37
Galaxy
Coordinator

On the next FOFC Idol, will Phoenix be able to knock jbmagic off the the title place?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:12 AM   #38
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Packers looked good against the Falcons last week, too.

I smell a Superbowl I rematch, oh yeah!!
Old 08-28-2006, 12:29 AM   #39
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat
Aaron Brooks has the physical and mental ability to be a pro bowl QB. I don't think he will be able to fight past his own laid back tendencies to ever realize that potential, however. He's a good guy, hes just not enough of a fighter to improve himself play by play second by second like the best QBs do.

A tad contradictory? The ability to not be laid-back and to improve himself definitely sounds like a mental issue .. on top of that his propensity to make bad decisions? I really don't believe he has the mental ability in that sense.

He's gifted physically but that's carried him as far as he can go I think... still, there's always hope for change I guess.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:33 AM   #40
SunDevil
College Prospect

Why does this thread give me the impression that this is the heir to the Maximum Football thread.
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 01:48 AM   #41
Mo.Raider
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde
I think Art Shell is a damn fine coach, but Al Davis won't give him the freedom a head coach should rightfully have.

That and the Raiders suck it against their division, so I'd consider 8-8 a minor miracle of a season.

They have only "sucked it in their division lately", and actually I think Art Shell is the only coach that will have the freedom to do as he pleases. He has Raider clout, and Al has tested the waters with outside help with very little success. Al realizes that their last parting of ways was a mistake, and I see Art staying there until he decides to retire. I then see Art taking a front office job. I think Al actually has plans for Art Shell in some capacity when it comes to a succession plan when Al can no longer go. Who better to guide the Raiders when Al passes on than a former trusted player/coach/friend. That gives Art lots of authority as a coach in the present. The thing that makes me hopeful this season is a return of discipline. They have been running gassers after practice for boneheaded penalties, which would have been met with staunch resistance with Turner/Callahan/ and even Chucky at the helm.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:30 AM   #42
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo.Raider
They have only "sucked it in their division lately", and actually I think Art Shell is the only coach that will have the freedom to do as he pleases. He has Raider clout, and Al has tested the waters with outside help with very little success. Al realizes that their last parting of ways was a mistake, and I see Art staying there until he decides to retire. I then see Art taking a front office job. I think Al actually has plans for Art Shell in some capacity when it comes to a succession plan when Al can no longer go. Who better to guide the Raiders when Al passes on than a former trusted player/coach/friend. That gives Art lots of authority as a coach in the present. The thing that makes me hopeful this season is a return of discipline. They have been running gassers after practice for boneheaded penalties, which would have been met with staunch resistance with Turner/Callahan/ and even Chucky at the helm.

But it wasn't a mistake. People forget how Shell parted last time. The team was in full scale revolt. Complete 100% mutiny. Coaching staff AND players were demanding he be fired. They had no choice. Shell was also the coach when the Raiders had a league record 104 penalties.

I like Shell actually. Good guy and I think he deserved a chance in the league a long time ago. But the circumstances in which he left weren't horrible or unfair and it wasn't even a mistake by Al Davis standards.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:24 AM   #43
rkmsuf
Head Coach

If you have the Raiders and the under.....you win!

They should have brought Madden back...fuck this Art Shell bullshit.

Seriously, if they go 8-8 I'll convert to jbmagicism.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:00 AM   #44
Desnudo
Coordinator

Six games against Denver, KC, and SD. Probably two wins at most. Losses to Pitt, Seattle, and Cincy leaves you with 2-7 already.

Last edited by Desnudo : 08-28-2006 at 11:00 AM.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 04:47 PM   #45
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, the Raiders are so good and have such great QB play (snicker), they just went out and signed JEFF F***ING GEORGE!

Last edited by dacman : 08-28-2006 at 04:47 PM.
dacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 04:51 PM   #46
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
The defense is playing well.

See what happens when you draft a Miner?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 05:40 PM   #47
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacman
Yeah, the Raiders are so good and have such great QB play (snicker), they just went out and signed JEFF F***ING GEORGE!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Old 08-28-2006, 05:48 PM   #48
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacman

WOOT... this rocks!
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:25 PM   #49
kingfc22
Head Coach

Jeff George. HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHHAAH
Old 08-28-2006, 06:27 PM   #50
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I can't wait for the obligatory Whitlock column about Jeff George

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"