Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-13-2011, 10:42 AM   #251
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I just like having access to everything. I can pretty much see anything that has ever existed, either immediately, or within 1-2 days. Who else offers that? For $15 with 1 dvd out and unlimited streaming. That's one blockbuster movie if I return it two days late. Or 1 month of hbo. Or two movies on demand on Directv. I don't care about new releases, so redbox is maybe a $1/ month thing either way...but it can't touch the Netflix library, not even close

You updated since I posted.

I'm trying to find the price online, but I believe it is $2.99 for a non new-release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #252
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post

"ok, here's the deal... we're going to double our streaming fee to $16, but now we'll have 50% of the new releases available and almost all movies that have been out for over 12 months" then I'm all in.

And I'd love to go to the movies for a buck but it ain't gonna happen.

If a company could aquire streaming rights to more than half of new movies in existence, and offer unlimited viewing for $16, i'm sure they'd have a ton of customers....

Last edited by molson : 07-13-2011 at 10:46 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:49 AM   #253
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

If a company could aquire streaming rights to more than half of new movies in existence, and offer unlimited viewing for $16, i'm sure they'd have a ton of customers....

HBO GO. It's HBO. Anywhere.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 07-13-2011, 10:51 AM   #254
wade moore
lolzcat

And beyond that, I may have been exaggerating my point. But, point being, they're just continually increasing the cost, without increasing the service.

Everyone has their breaking point, and I think Netflix is getting dangerously close to that for too many people.

I'm looking at Blockbuster Mail for instance. I can get it fro a similar price to Netflix and be able to do games to, at no additional cost. That's appealing to me. Maybe I just use Netflix for the 3 summer months and call it a day.

Quote:
Old 07-13-2011, 10:51 AM   #255
Subby
lolzcat

We are going to look back in 10 years and wonder why people ever did DVDs by mail. My guess is it's already a dying business.

Netflix is ahead of the curve here by shrugging off their DVD users and just focusing on streaming content. Completely agree with Wade that they need to aggressively improve their content if they are to continue to be successful. Buying Hulu would be a start.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:52 AM   #256
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

And again, they are pushing me away from DVDs. They are basically saying, "hey, here, use this service with crap selection and get rid of the good selection - k, thx."

Quote:
Old 07-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #257
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
We are going to look back in 10 years and wonder why people ever did DVDs by mail. My guess is it's already a dying business.

Netflix is ahead of the curve here by shrugging off their DVD users and just focusing on streaming content. Completely agree with Wade that they need to aggressively improve their content if they are to continue to be successful. Buying Hulu would be a start.

And, not surprisingly, I think Subby sums up what I'm trying to say way better than I am.

I think Streaming is the way of the future. However, I don't think Netflix (or whomever) is going to succeed at streaming becoming mainstream until the selection improves.

I can't find numbers or anything, but I believe that it is still a small minority of Netflix customers that use Netflix streaming - and I'd argue mostly for this reason.

Quote:
Old 07-13-2011, 10:55 AM   #258
molson
General Manager

Quote:
You updated since I posted.

I'm trying to find the price online, but I believe it is $2.99 for a non new-release.

They don't have netflix's library and I don't even know where the closest one is to me...I don't think there's one still standing in boise....

I'm watching twin peaks streaming on Netflix now. If it wasn't streaming, I'd be going through the dvds. I just thought randomly one day, "i'm going to watch twin peaks.' Netflix is still the best game in town for that type of viewing habit.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #259
molson
General Manager

Quote:
And again, they are pushing me away from DVDs. They are basically saying, "hey, here, use this service with crap selection and get rid of the good selection - k, thx."

They say that about streaming, but my dvds still show up, faster then they ever did. If the close all the distribution centers and it takes a week to get anything, i'll revisit it.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:11 AM   #260
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

LOL

"Thank you for calling Netflix. We are currently experiencing higher than normal call volume, please try your call again later"

( I was hoping to specifically clarify the "multiple devices still tied to number of DVD's out?" question)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-13-2011 at 11:12 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #261
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
LOL

"Thank you for calling Netflix. We are currently experiencing higher than normal call volume, please try your call again later"

( I was hoping to specifically clarify the "multiple devices still tied to number of DVD's out?" question)

What is this multiple devices thing you're referring to? I saw you reference it earlier, but didn't really realize what you were talking about.

Is it that you can only stream on one device at a time?

Quote:
Old 07-13-2011, 11:15 AM   #262
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Red Box is great if you watch newer movies, but since I see many of them (the ones I want to see at least) at the theater, I find very little value in that service. I watch lots of older movies and TV shows. For that, Netflix can't be beat since many of the classics are on streaming and the DVD's allow me to plow through a TV show fairly quickly when I need to catch up.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #263
wade moore
lolzcat

That makes sense larry.

But for someone like me, who I think is closer to the mainstream, it's not particularly useful.

I think I'm close to the mainstream - I watch a few movies a year in theater, then I like to "rent" some movies now and then. When I do rent movies it is generally something made within the last 2 years, sometimes it stretches to the last 5 years. When I want to go back and watch TV, it's generally something that is currently in production or recently finished.

I think that is what most of "America" wants to do. Netflix DVDs is fantastic for this. Netflix streaming is mediocre at best. They have 2nd tier recent shows and old shows. They have 5th tier new movies and old movies, with the occasional good recent movie thrown in that is only available for a few months.

Quote:
Old 07-13-2011, 11:27 AM   #264
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What is this multiple devices thing you're referring to? I saw you reference it earlier, but didn't really realize what you were talking about. Is it that you can only stream on one device at a time?

Yeah, pretty much.

The most common scenarios in my house are:
Kid watching on XBox & wife watching on laptop

With the 1 DVD/time plan, only one of those things can happen at a time, so
over the weekend I upgraded to the 2 DVD/time plan so that they didn't have to coordinate/negotiate who was going to watch Netflix. It was doable during the free 1 month trial period but it was kind of hampering the enjoyment for both of them, seemed worth $5 more to eliminate the issue.

I'm just wanting to clarify that the simultaneous connections are still tied to the DVD count, if not then I could drop back to the 1 DVD plan immediately.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:28 AM   #265
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Yeah, pretty much.

over the weekend I upgraded to the 2 DVD/time plan so that they didn't have to coordinate/negotiate who was going to watch Netflix. It was doable during the free 1 month trial period but it was kind of hampering the enjoyment for both of them, seemed worth $5 more to eliminate the issue.

I'm just wanting to clarify that the simultaneous connections are still tied to the DVD count, if not then I could drop back to the 1 DVD plan immediately.

Gotcha. Didn't know about that.

Quote:
Old 07-13-2011, 11:50 AM   #266
JediKooter
Coordinator

This is why I just buy the movies or tv shows I want to watch. No one can take it away from me, no one can raise the price on me, no one can cancel me. I own it and can watch whenever I want to, no need for an internet connection.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #267
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
This is why I just buy the movies or tv shows I want to watch. No one can take it away from me, no one can raise the price on me, no one can cancel me. I own it and can watch whenever I want to, no need for an internet connection.

No offense to you, but buying movies and tv shows in this day and age makes zero sense to me.

Quote:
Old 07-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #268
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
No offense to you, but buying movies and tv shows in this day and age makes zero sense to me.

The same goes for me. Streaming movies and tv shows makes no sense to me.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 07-13-2011, 11:54 AM   #269
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
The same goes for me. Streaming movies and tv shows makes no sense to me.

I mean.. I guess you have money to just throw around, but otherwise, especially with TV shows, streaming/renting movies/tv is dramatically cheaper and more accessible.

Not to mention storage issues.

Quote:
Old 07-13-2011, 12:14 PM   #270
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
I mean.. I guess you have money to just throw around, but otherwise, especially with TV shows, streaming/renting movies/tv is dramatically cheaper and more accessible.

That really depends on how many times he watches them and at what price he purchased them at. Not to mention there is no guarantee that movie or show he is watching via streaming today will be available for streaming tomorrow.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:15 PM   #271
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

Unless someone breaks into your house beats you and takes your DVDs...
Old 07-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #272
Subby
lolzcat

They need to do a special Hoarders episode on people who compulsively buy DVDs. I bet there are some ridiculous libraries out there.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #273
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

No need to worry about storage issues if you have the DVD. Unless you mean shelf space. Of the 100% of the current tv shows out there, there's only 3 that I can think of that I would buy the season DVDs. But, I just watch them on my DVR. As far as movies go, if the movie strikes enough interest in me to want to watch it, I just buy it. I like having something tangible in my hands when it comes to watching something. You can't hack my DVD. Netflix streaming goes down, I can still watch my DVD. My internet goes down, I can still watch my DVD. My computer breaks, I can still watch my DVD. To me, DVDs are like books and that's why I'll never own something like a Kindle or ever use Netflix (unless they somehow manage to get live sports).

Depending on the tv show, I have no problems paying 30 - 40 dollars for that show when they are released on DVD. If that season has been out for more than a year or so, I'm not willing to pay much more than 20 - 25 dollars for it. Amazon is great for discounts.

Movies...Depending on how much I like the movie, I'm flexible on the price. I refuse to pay more for Blu Ray discs than what it would cost for a DVD. I got Blazing Saddles for 9.99 at Best Buy, on Blu Ray. Good price in my opinion.

So really, I see no need for a service like Netflix or rental boxes, when I have Amazon, Best Buy & my DirecTV with DVR. The only time when I'm not home that I ever have want or need to watch a movie is when I'm at the airport and on a plane. Nothing I can't rip off of a disc and put on my iphone.

I don't begrudge anyone that uses something like Netflix, I just don't think that it's the best way to watch things and serves my viewing needs, absolutely no purpose. Even with the price hike, I think that is super cheap if it's all-you-can-watch, but, I have no need for it.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:27 PM   #274
JediKooter
Coordinator

Ok, Dan has a good point. Someone (and I won't mention any names) could possibly break into my house and steal all my DVDs.

Going to Home Depot now to buy a secured DVD humidor.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:28 PM   #275
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
They need to do a special Hoarders episode on people who compulsively buy DVDs. I bet there are some ridiculous libraries out there.

My friend who's house our Strat-o-Matic league is played at must have well over 2-3000 DVDs. I mean if I really want to watch a movie I can just borrow from him.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:32 PM   #276
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
My friend who's house our Strat-o-Matic league is played at must have well over 2-3000 DVDs. I mean if I really want to watch a movie I can just borrow from him.

Holy crap! I have maybe 100. I feel very inadequate right now.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #277
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, pretty much.

I'm questioning this as well. I've got the one DVD plan, and I can watch a movie on the Apple TV while the kids watch one on their TV in the "wii room". Both streaming, both simultaneously.

We did that this weekend. I thought they had a five device limit, and that was the only restriction.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #278
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Holy crap! I have maybe 100. I feel very inadequate right now.

I think I have about 100-150, most of them bought before I met my wife, we have only bought about 2-3 in the last year, and one of them was the Blu-Ray version of Walking Dead.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:48 PM   #279
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
I'm questioning this as well. I've got the one DVD plan, and I can watch a movie on the Apple TV while the kids watch one on their TV in the "wii room". Both streaming, both simultaneously.

We did that this weekend. I thought they had a five device limit, and that was the only restriction.

Not according to both the fine print somewhat hidden in their help files and their phone answer to that specific question when I signed up initially ... but maybe it's a policy that doesn't actually work or something (i.e. you aren't really limited, they just claim you are).

Here's the actual wording
Quote:
If you are on the Watch Instantly Unlimited plan or the 1-disc-out-at-a-time plan, you may watch only one device at a time. If you are on the 2-discs-out-at-a-time plan, you may watch on up to two devices at a time. Members on the 3-disc plan can watch on up to three devices. The maximum is four devices -- available for members on the 4-or-greater-discs-out-at-a-time plan. Your account can have up to six unique authorized devices activated (and associated with it) at any given time, including personal computers and Netflix-ready devices. For example, if you're on the 1-disc plan, you can have up to six devices associated with your account, but you can only watch one of them at a time. If you're on the 2-disc plan, you can have up to six devices activated but can only watch two of them at the same time.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #280
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I'm torn over the price hike, as I've only been subscribing since November or so. I started about two days before the first price hike of $1 for streaming and dvd delivery.

I use the streaming service all of the time. That accounts for most of what I watch on TV now. I under use the DVD service, but we do use it. I've got "The Sweet Smell of Success" at home right now, and I've had it for a month or so.

I felt the service was undervalued at the $8-$9 price point. However, I'm now questioning if I want to pay double the price for something that we rarely use. I guess we probably will.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #281
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Actually, I just realized that there won't even be a price increase for me. I have roommates and they have the same 3 DVD plan as me. Since our plans allow us to have two devices going at the same time for instant watching, only one of us will have to carry it. We can split the cost of one instant account in half and that means I'll be paying exactly the same.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #282
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Not according to both the fine print somewhat hidden in their help files and their phone answer to that specific question when I signed up initially ... but maybe it's a policy that doesn't actually work or something (i.e. you aren't really limited, they just claim you are).

Here's the actual wording

Interesting. I haven't found that to be the case in practice, however I've now done a google search, and seen people running into errors specifying the two device limit.

I think I'll have to perform a test on this.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #283
molson
General Manager

There's going to be a lot more changes and all this stuff is going to get more expensive. I just read this tidbit:

Overall, Pachter predicts Netflix's streaming content licensing costs will rise from $180 million in 2010 to a whopping $1.98 billion in 2012.

Netflix renews contract for NBCUniversal movies and TV shows - Jul. 13, 2011

I think it's a bit much to expect them to just "stream everything" for the same cost or a slight price increase. (I think that also might shut down the internet). The studios have just gotten a ton more aggressive with this stuff. I would assume we'll see redbox increase prices a bit soon as well (they're already testing $1.15, $1.50, up to $2.00 in some markets).

Last edited by molson : 07-13-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:06 PM   #284
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
No need to worry about storage issues if you have the DVD. Unless you mean shelf space. Of the 100% of the current tv shows out there, there's only 3 that I can think of that I would buy the season DVDs. But, I just watch them on my DVR. As far as movies go, if the movie strikes enough interest in me to want to watch it, I just buy it. I like having something tangible in my hands when it comes to watching something. You can't hack my DVD. Netflix streaming goes down, I can still watch my DVD. My internet goes down, I can still watch my DVD. My computer breaks, I can still watch my DVD. To me, DVDs are like books and that's why I'll never own something like a Kindle or ever use Netflix (unless they somehow manage to get live sports).

Depending on the tv show, I have no problems paying 30 - 40 dollars for that show when they are released on DVD. If that season has been out for more than a year or so, I'm not willing to pay much more than 20 - 25 dollars for it. Amazon is great for discounts.

Movies...Depending on how much I like the movie, I'm flexible on the price. I refuse to pay more for Blu Ray discs than what it would cost for a DVD. I got Blazing Saddles for 9.99 at Best Buy, on Blu Ray. Good price in my opinion.

So really, I see no need for a service like Netflix or rental boxes, when I have Amazon, Best Buy & my DirecTV with DVR. The only time when I'm not home that I ever have want or need to watch a movie is when I'm at the airport and on a plane. Nothing I can't rip off of a disc and put on my iphone.

I don't begrudge anyone that uses something like Netflix, I just don't think that it's the best way to watch things and serves my viewing needs, absolutely no purpose. Even with the price hike, I think that is super cheap if it's all-you-can-watch, but, I have no need for it.

I just don't even know how to react to this. I feel like I'm listening to like.. someone's grandpa or something.

If netflix being down for an hour or two for an outage is a reason to go out and overpay for the same thing in another fashion, have at it. When Netflix is down you could listen to your cassette tape collection to pass the time.

Quote:
Old 07-13-2011, 01:06 PM   #285
rowech
Pro Starter

This is all about the movie studios. They hate that people aren't paying to go to the theater and they hate that people aren't paying to buy DVDs anymore. They tried to make peope wait a month before getting videos once they came out so that people would go buy them. Now they're forcing the streaming hand by trying to charge outrageous amounts. At some point they have to realize they're pricing themselves out of business.

Not to mention most of the movies they're making are movies we've seen before. Either they're remakes or just rehash the same crap over and over and over again.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #286
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
There's going to be a lot more changes and all this stuff is going to get more expensive. I just read this tidbit:

Overall, Pachter predicts Netflix's streaming content licensing costs will rise from $180 million in 2010 to a whopping $1.98 billion in 2012.

I think it's a bit much to expect them to just "stream everything" for the same cost or a slight price increase. (I think that also might shut down the internet). The studios have just gotten a ton more aggressive with this stuff. I would assume we'll see redbox increase prices a bit soon as well (they're already testing $1.15, $1.50, up to $2.00 in some markets).

If their costs really get multiplied by ten, then netflix and this streaming model as we know it will die. End of story.

I hope the studios are prepared for what that means. I'm not going back to buying DVDs.

Quote:
Old 07-13-2011, 01:10 PM   #287
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
I think I have about 100-150, most of them bought before I met my wife, we have only bought about 2-3 in the last year, and one of them was the Blu-Ray version of Walking Dead.

I think the last tv show I bought was a season of Futurama and that was a couple of years ago. I may get the Walking Dead season though now that you mention it.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:10 PM   #288
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
You can't hack my DVD. Netflix streaming goes down, I can still watch my DVD. My internet goes down, I can still watch my DVD. My computer breaks, I can still watch my DVD. To me, DVDs are like books and that's why I'll never own something like a Kindle or ever use Netflix (unless they somehow manage to get live sports).

My car breaks down, I can still walk! But that doesn't mean I'm not buying a car.

To me, the biggest advantage of streaming, the icloud, and technology in general is the need for less stuff--I can't tell you when I pulled a book off of my bookshelf, but I can give you a list of the books I've read and can easily access on my kindle in the last year. Your mileage varies.

(And I think we will probably go with the streaming only option, FWIW.)
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #289
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:

I wouldn't place too much stock in that article. Netflix 2010 fiscal year-end total revenues were $2.1B. They're projected to be around $3B this year and there's no way their business model can support licensing fees being 2/3rds of all gross revenue.

That doesn't mean their licensing fees won't go up dramatically, though.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #290
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Fox already beat them to that punch, no?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #291
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

If I'm not mistaken that's tied to a cable subscription. You can't just sign up for HBO Go. You need to be subscribed to HBO through your cable or satellite provider as well, at which point your HBO Go access is included.

It's being subsidized by what you're already paying for HBO in other words.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #292
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Nice to know I can come to FOFC and leave feeling like a piece of shit for having a "Fear of a Black Hat" DVD that I bought for $4.99 in my house.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:23 PM   #293
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Fox already beat them to that punch, no?

Not hearing much about Fox as a buyer at this point, more likely to be Google or Amazon, with maybe Microsoft as a long-shot candidate.

But it won't be Netflix regardless, reports of them having no interest in buying Hulu started in earnest on Monday IIRC (shortly before the price hike news).
Old 07-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #294
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
If I'm not mistaken that's tied to a cable subscription. You can't just sign up for HBO Go. You need to be subscribed to HBO through your cable or satellite provider as well, at which point your HBO Go access is included.

It's being subsidized by what you're already paying for HBO in other words.

Correct. An HBO subscription is similarly priced to Netflix.

If you're talking about the super-minority that we've discussed before of people who don't use cable. Well, to be honest, I'm not worried about those people. They're such a severe minority that they don't matter in this discussion in my opinion.

Quote:
Old 07-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #295
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I generally buy DVD's or TV shows for collection purposes. Also, it's usually movies that I really like and would like to have access to them constantly. I don't consider it overpaying, because I like to have the convenience of just picking up the DVD I own and playing it instead of waiting 1-2 days if it isn't available on instant.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #296
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
I just don't even know how to react to this. I feel like I'm listening to like.. someone's grandpa or something.

If netflix being down for an hour or two for an outage is a reason to go out and overpay for the same thing in another fashion, have at it. When Netflix is down you could listen to your cassette tape collection to pass the time.

Get off my lawn sonny!

Like I said, it's like books. I like to have something tangible 'in my hands'. I would be willing to pay/subscribe (depends on the price) to something like Netflix if it did live sporting events and I could watch any team that I wanted. I'm not Netflix bashing, it just provides me no benefit at the moment. I do think it's a bit of hyperbole when someone thinks that paying 16 dollars a month for unlimited viewing is too expensive. I'm actually surprised that Netflix isn't charging 25 to 30 a month or have a tiered pricing service for people who are not heavy viewers.

And I don't think paying 10 dollars for a DVD is over paying. It would be if I was buying 4 or 5 a week, but I don't. So nothing to do with getting with times with all the hip kids and their zoot suits.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:40 PM   #297
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:

This is what I was talking about in my comment on the last page.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #298
Daimyo
College Starter

I've been a Netflix customer since 2003. I dropped down to 1-DVD-at-a-time with the last price increase... not so much because of the expense but because it made me think about how much I was using it and I realized not as much as before.

At this point I'm not sure what to do. Streaming isn't near comprehensive enough to be a full replacement for DVD-by-mail, but my kids use it for their TV watching (no commercials!) so I have to keep it. I don't think I watch enough physical DVDs to justify paying $9/month to keep the 1-DVD-at-a-time plan. I hate the (relative) inconvenience of Redbox even though I probably drive by 10 on my way home from work.

I guess in the end I'll drop to streaming only and supplement with Redbox and iTunes and watch less movies overall.

Last edited by Daimyo : 07-13-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #299
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
My car breaks down, I can still walk! But that doesn't mean I'm not buying a car.

To me, the biggest advantage of streaming, the icloud, and technology in general is the need for less stuff--I can't tell you when I pulled a book off of my bookshelf, but I can give you a list of the books I've read and can easily access on my kindle in the last year. Your mileage varies.

(And I think we will probably go with the streaming only option, FWIW.)

The difference is, you need a car, you don't 'need' Netflix or DVDs, but, I do understand what you're saying. Again, I have no need for those kinds of services. I don't really think that having streamed based software, books and movies is going to cut down on the stuff. It's going to create different stuff that needs to access them. Dummy terminals, Kindles, iPhones, etc? If the day comes and all that exists is media/software that can only be streamed, so be it and I'll switch over. Until then, I choose tangible items. No biggie.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #300
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Decided to drop from the 2 a time DVD plan (with Blu-ray) to the 1 a time, and drastically just increased my instant queue (I have used it but really only for TV shows like "The Tudors" and "Weeds").