Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-23-2005, 08:43 PM   #1
Galaril
Pro Starter

Space Rangers 2 GAME OF THE YEAR

Dubious Quality:Space Rangers 2 GOT

Bill Harris, who is a well respected pc game reviewer /PC game blogger has given a glowing review of Space Rangers 2 I might have to pick this one up.

Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 08:47 PM   #2
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
Dubious Quality:Space Rangers 2 GOT

Bill Harris, who is a well respected pc game reviewer /PC game blogger has given a glowing review of Space Rangers 2 I might have to pick this one up.

If you don't know where to get it, you can buy it here. I had considered getting it at one point, but I couldn't find a demo to try out first:

http://www.gogamer.com/cgi-bin/GoGam...t/View/001SPAR
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 08:48 PM   #3
Galaril
Pro Starter

i saw it ta my local Fry's store last week. Thanks though.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:50 PM   #4
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
i saw it ta my local Fry's store last week. Thanks though.

Lucky bastard....they don't have it at Fry's Electronic out here when I checked.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:19 PM   #5
hukarez
College Starter

Any of those links a link to the official site? If there is any?
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:41 PM   #6
Galaril
Pro Starter

Here is he link they haven't updated the page in quite awhile but there is a little activity in the forums.

elemental games
Old 08-23-2005, 09:45 PM   #7
hukarez
College Starter

Sweet deal, thanks. I had a bit trouble looking up more info about this game (aside from that blog review) anywhere else.

It took a bit of work with the search engine, but I also managed to find another link:

http://www.excalibur-publishing.com/space.htm
tweet tweet twitter
Old 08-23-2005, 10:02 PM   #8
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Ugh. Starforce.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:44 PM   #9
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

HAHA.. I was just going to post about this game. Fry's - outpost.com has it for $39.99 with free shipping. The game sounds like so much fun.

I'm supposted to be saving money and then this. Ugh. Maybe Madden should go back. Hmmmm...

http://int.games.1c.ru/sr2/
http://www.excalibur-publishing.com/space.htm

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/

Last edited by MizzouRah : 08-23-2005 at 10:45 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 07:40 AM   #10
KWhit
Coordinator

Please post your impressions when you play it.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 08:24 AM   #11
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Starforce?

No sale.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:25 AM   #12
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

What sucks so much about Starforce?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 08:35 AM   #13
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

It was on sale at Gogamer last week for $34.90 but I bought Silent Hill 4 instead for $6. That game can't find the DVD.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 08:36 AM   #14
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
What sucks so much about Starforce?

Yeah , what was iot about starforce? I remember it was not good anyone refresh are memory.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:39 AM   #15
Bee
Pro Starter

There were reported cases of Starforce screwing up systems, usually having to do with people running virtual CD-drive software.

Edit: and by screwing up...I mean having to reformat, etc. At least that's what was reported by some folks.

Last edited by Bee : 08-24-2005 at 08:40 AM.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 08:42 AM   #16
Galaril
Pro Starter

I just was reading on an old thread about the Chaos League game that had Starforce it added 20 seconds to some peoples computer startups. Being that I work in computer security industry i have always belived a basic precept is never knowingly add spyware or other such malicous software to your systems.Common sense actually. No sale.

Last edited by Galaril : 08-24-2005 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:49 AM   #17
Calis
College Starter

From what I've read they've really started nailing down Starforce, fixing most of the issues people were having with it.

I had a helluva time getting SH3 up and running because of it, but after I emailed Starforce, they helped me out super quick and fixed it up.

I've heard great things about this game also, likened to a beefed up Escape Velocity. Sounds like a lot of fun.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 08:57 AM   #18
Bee
Pro Starter

Like Calis, I've also heard that a lot of the issues with Starforce have been addressed. That's not to say I blame people for being cautious considering the history...
Old 08-24-2005, 09:14 PM   #19
hukarez
College Starter

Has anyone gotten a chance to pick this up and play it yet? I'm curious myself.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 08-24-2005, 10:16 PM   #20
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez
Has anyone gotten a chance to pick this up and play it yet? I'm curious myself.

I called Outpost and it's on backorder so I changed to gogamer.com. As soon as it gets here, I'll post some impressions.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:13 PM   #21
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Here's a review from someone I know from another message board, a guy who designs games for a living:

If you live in the US, you've probably never heard of Star Rangers. It was never available here. The only reason I saw the game was the GoGamer was advertising the imported United Kingdom DVD version on their front page.

The basic premise is you're the Captain / Owner of a starship, and the local races are at war with a cybernetic race called the Dominators. The game is rather open ended, and there's a variety of stuff you can do to advance yourself - trade, engage in piracy, hunt pirates, join the fight against the Dominators, and carry out missions for planetary governors.

Star Rangers, unfortunately, feels like a shareware game with really high production values. The most glaring bit of amateur design is that modules for your ship have nearly random sizes. You may check the local shipyard and find that two lasers that do the same damage have sizes of 25 tons and 50 tons respectively, and little or no difference in price. This is ridiculous in a game with a significant trading aspect where cargo space is at a premium. Hunting for particularly small but rare modules can double or triple the amount of space you have left over after mounting a full suite of weapons.

A peculiar bit of amateurishness is that a few of the planetary missions end in text minigames of roughly the same complexity as the old Hammurabi or Lemonade Stand games. These games would have felt dated in the early 80's. I ran into four games myself: a skiing resort business game, a trucking game, a hunting game, and a prison inmate game. If you know what clues to look for in the mission description, you can skip most of these, though the tedious prison game is unavoidable if you want to repair relations with a race that has declared you a wanted criminal.

The core of Star Rangers 2 is space travel and space combat. Movement both inside star systems and between star systems is point-and-click. The game is a hybrid of real-time and turn based. Everything executes in real time, but if anything serious is going on like combat, the game pauses once a "turn" to let you give orders. Outside of combat, time runs continously while you travel, but is paused when you're not moving.

The basics of combat are not bad, though there are some quirks. Weapons have a variety of ranges, and despite the fact the range differences are small, the faster ship can generally dictate the range. Thus when I purchased a relatively powerful short range cannon, the faster pirates kept to the medium range of lasers. Once you lock a weapon on an enemy it will continue to fire at them until the combat is over, but you can't lock a weapon on until you're in range, and the weapon loses its lock if you ever exceed its range. Since weapons fire several times during a "turn," this is annoying enough that I found myself wishing I could pause the action at any time, and not just at the end of a "turn."

The real problem with space combat is that you can land on a planet in mid-combat, get fully repaired and resupplied, and launch again immediately. As a player that's nice, but the enemy ships do this all the time. If a planet is anywhere nearby, killing a pirate is nearly impossible. This is hideously frustrating if you have a mission to hunt down a specific pirate.

The other problem is that there are 5 races in the game, and engaging in combat with a pirate makes the pirate's race mad at you, even if the pirate started it. In my first game I walked the straight and narrow, and yet one of the races branded me a criminal and stopped trading with me, and another race stopped giving me missions.

Combat with the Dominators has neither of these drawbacks. They don't have planets to run to, and they hate everyone anyway. However, combat with the Dominators is rather iffy for other reasons. Dominators come in fleet strength, so you hope that they'll divide their attention between you and NPC defenders, or better yet hope they concentrate on the NPCs while you're shooting them. If several ships gang up on you, you're likely dead, and that frequently isn't under your control.

There are a lot of interesting little details to the game. You can trade Dominator parts for upgrades or sell them to research bases for unspecified future anti-Dominator technology. You can buy stimulants which boost your character's skills at medical bases. You can drop research satellites to explore uncharted planets, which can give you loot both conventional (ores and other goods) and unusual (artifacts to improve your ship). Running missions gives your character experience, which in turn increases his piloting and trading skills. Defeat enough Dominators and you can convince NPCs to fly as wingmen for you, though you don't get to control them directly.

It's sad that a game this rich in play has such deep flaws. If you're stubborn or really like games in this genre you could possibly try and play around the problems. I.e. fly missions against pirates of one race only, so as to minimize the drawbacks of that entire race being at war with you, try and jump pirates far away from planets, nibble around the edges of Dominator battles, etc. There's a potentially fun game in there, but it requires enough work to extract it that I really can't give Star Rangers 2 more than 2 out of 5 stars.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:25 PM   #22
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Same reviewers update after playing the game more (very long):

This is probably of no interest to anyone but me, but I've been continuing to play and think about this game for the last week. I've gone from think it's fascinating but deeply flawed to thinking it's just badly documented and hard to learn to thinking it's deeply flawed again.

No doubt about it, the trading part of the game is quite interesting. There are a certain set of games like Railroad Tycoon, Pirates!, and Port Royale that are essentially complex optimization problems, where you're trying to find particularly efficient ways to make money. Some of us really enjoy that kind of thing. Space Rangers does that bit really well, and it's been worth the time I've put into it just to see how they handled it.

Every planet in the game has a buy price and a sell price for the various goods. The larger the local supply, the lower both prices are, and the bigger the gap is between the prices. Your character's trading skill also affects your selling price, but not the price you pay to buy goods.

Finding profitable trades isn't easy, but the game provides a large variety of tools for you to find them. The most obvious is the 1-3 "thumbs up" icons displayed over the goods price, with more thumbs indicating a particularly good price. That's not a guarantee of a profit, though, since the price for Machinery may be depressed over a wide area due to oversupply.

You can record the price list for any planet just by clicking on the "info" icon in the dialog. You can record about 15 notes on just about anything in the game. This is really handy, since you can compare the prices you saw on Mars to the prices you're currently seeing on Earth. These notes show up as icons along the bottom taskbar, and hovering over one displays the text. Actually you can hold any number of notes, but they start scrolling off after about 15, and you can't see the older ones without deleting some notes.

What's not obvious, and badly documented, is that you can record the current price list for any planet that's in radar range when you're in space just by right-clicking on it. What's more, when you're on a planet, you can use the "news search engine" to search for any planet in the game, and it includes the price list. You can save that price list, too. More, you can get a list of the 30 nearest planets and price lists just by typing "planet" in the News Search window, since all planets have "Planet" in their name. You get a lot of uninhabited planets that way, but you still get enough inhabited ones to get some idea of current local prices for anything.

Some star systems also have Business Centers, which are space stations which offer loans and market research. If you dock at one, for a relatively small fee they'll give you a report of the 3 best-looking local trading opportunities. At game start it often makes sense to find one and take out a big loan at 20% interest, since you'll make at least that much on the money in 60 days.

Combat in the game is more doable than I thought, but equipping your ship for combat is one of the places where that steep learning curve comes into play. Heck, you can and will die in the tutorial if you don't buy additional, better weapons before entering the combat portion. You really have to know a lot about the game before you can load up a ship that can score a kill on an enemy before they duck into a planet for repairs. Some of the weapons are much better than others, you really must pay to upgrade your weapons, and you absolutely need a speed advantage which means a high-quality, upgraded drive. You really want a hull with an afterburner too.

Here the lack of documentation and the occasional bad translation come into play as well. It wasn't clear to me how vital a repair droid was, because I didn't realize from the description that the droid repaired hull damage every turn. I didn't realize how powerful missile launchers were, because the description neglects to mention that missile launchers fire 3 shots per turn, while all other weapons fire just one.

Shopping for stuff for your ship is oddly entertaining. The game generates a lot of randomly sized equipment of varying quality. Something you're constantly doing is looking for good items that are small. Fortunately, the "search" window lets you find all nearby items for sale, and their sizes. So when you see a new drive for sale, the first thing you should do is run a search to see if there's a smaller unit for sale anywhere. Then you may want to hold off buying for a while if all the currently available copies are large.

The nastiest aspect of this is shopping for ship hulls, and it's really absolutely vital you get a good hull before engaging in combat. It has to be reasonably large, it needs good armor, it needs to have 4-5 weapon slots, and it needs other vital slots like the tractor beam and droid slots. The number of artifact slots can be very important too, depending on what artifacts you've found so far.

The learning curve is particularly steep here. You have to learn how to read the ship diagram you get when you select the hull, and you need to know how important armor is. 99% of the hulls out there are terrible for combat, so you have to do a lot of shopping. The only obvious way is to check what's for sale every time you visit a planet, since the search engine only tells you hull size, make, and model, which won't tell most players enough.

It turns out that you can learn everything you need to know about a ship from make and model, but you really need a reference card that tells you armor level and ship configuration based on that. I found complete information on ship models on the web, organized it in a spreadsheet and culled out the useful ones, and printed it out. There are literally hundreds of combinations. For example, my reference card tells me that a Gaal "El Dorado" liner has 3 weapons, 3 artifact slots, an afterburner, and a tractor beam, but that most liners have only 2 weapon slots and no tractor beam.

What I said about combat and reputation in my review is still true, though I understand the effects better. The Maloq and the Peleng like pirates, and every time you blow up a pirate you irritate them. Every time you blow up a transport or liner, they like you better. The Humans, Faeyen, and Gaal don't like pirates, so blowing up pirates makes them happy, but destroying liners and transports makes them unhappy.

The rewards for piracy and pirate hunting are miniscule, whether you accept a payoff for letting your target go or blow them up. The reputation penalty for either activity rapidly builds up, and pretty soon you can't perform most missions because a set of planets have shoot-on-sight orders for you.

Some of the available missions are piracy or pirate hunting. These are worth doing late in the game because the rewards are very high compared to trading, and you can repair your reputation. The only obvious way, landing on the planet and paying a bribe, is time consuming and expensive. However, it turns out that a relatively cheap investment in a charity at the local Business Center will raise your reputation with everyone. Further, doing much fighting against the Dominators will rapidly increase nearby hostile planets to friendly.

The problem with fighting Dominators as a I said before is that generally you're facing a fleet. The solution is twofold. First, you run. You run around the entire system, kiting the enemy fleet so that you're facing at most 3-4 of the fastest ships at a time. Eventually you wear them down until you're only facing a couple of big, slow ships. Occasionally other friendly ships will distract the enemy, but you really can't count on that.

Second, you have to be tough enough to handle 3-4 enemy ships at a time. Early on, the best method is to avoid taking any hits at all, and a full suite of 4-5 missile launchers is a good way to do this. You just stand off and shell them while they chase you. Later, when the Dominators start packing enough armor and shields to ignore missiles, you need heavy armor and shielding of your own, and a really good repair droid.

Combat with Dominators is kind of hit-or-miss economically. Sometimes you get a lot of loot after wasting a fleet, sometimes the loot all gets blown up during the battle. However, the goal of the game is to destroy the Dominators, so you can look at trading and running missions as how you make money, and fighting Dominators as how you spend it.

This is where I came back to the conclusion that the game is still deeply flawed, after winning 3 times and starting a 4th game on the hardest difficulty setting. Making money in the early game is actually quite entertaining. Combat against the Dominators is tedious, though, and you have to liberate a lot of star systems to win. Even the economic side of the game goes stale in the late game, because missions become much more lucrative than trading, and missions just aren't that much fun.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:41 PM   #23
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
I called Outpost and it's on backorder so I changed to gogamer.com. As soon as it gets here, I'll post some impressions.
\

you might want to cancel it from the review above.

and wait to see what others say first.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:22 AM   #24
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

The most indepth discussion on the game that I've seen so far has been over at Octopus Overlords (be warned: the thread there has grown to 15 pages, impressions start on page 2 so just jump ahead to get a feel for what people are saying). Based on that thread and Bill Harris' impressions, I have ordered it from GoGamer.com this evening.

While I can see what the above reviewer is saying, he seems to be picking mainly on some minor issues, given what appears to be a huge, freewheeling game. Enough people whose opinions I respect have called this incredible that I'm going to take a chance on it. I'll find out in a few days. I'll try to post impressions after I get up and running.

The game sounds so good that I am going to give up my Starforce boycott in order to play it. This is coming from someone who said they would never put the crap on their computer. I'm still working out how to rationalize this part of the purchase, but I've got three days to figure something out. However, the nice thing about giving up my Starforce boycott is that I'm ordering Silent Hunter III at the same time. Woot.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 08-25-2005 at 12:23 AM.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:55 AM   #25
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Man, GB giving up his Starforce boycott. I don't believe in nothin' no more! Well my Starforce boycott is definitely not going away.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Old 08-25-2005, 01:18 AM   #26
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
Man, GB giving up his Starforce boycott. I don't believe in nothin' no more! Well my Starforce boycott is definitely not going away.

Heh heh!

I feel so dirty. It gets even worse, because GoGamer tosses in the game Soldiers free if you buy three games from them at once, so I added Falcon to my order to get the free game. And yes, Soldiers has Starforce on it too! So three of the four games in my order have Starforce! Yikes. This is terrible. What am I doing?

But...

I think I've got my rationalization worked out:

PC game sales are down 12% this year. Pirating plays a factor in this. Developers view console games as being much more difficult to pirate, which just adds more fuel to game companies' desire to develop games for consoles and shun the PC. If we want good PC games, something must be done about pirating. Starforce, despite being intrusive, dangerous, insidious, and deceptive, does seem to create headaches for pirates. Therefore, buying Starforce games is good for the game industry, and helps all of us get better PC games.

There. I feel much better.

Now I'd be obliged if everyone could be so nice as to -not- run circles around my tainted logic so I can be happy in my own private Idaho.

I splurged for overnight shipping, so I should have this game on Friday, and be able to post impressions on Friday night.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:24 AM   #27
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Hmm, decent. Of course you could just as easily argue that people not buying games that have Starforce on them contributes heavily to that decline. I would have purchased 3 or 4 more games recently except for it.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Old 08-25-2005, 02:47 AM   #28
Coder
College Prospect

Or one could argue that less and less quality games are being produced.. or you could argue that MMORPGs are taking a large slice of the cake. Whereas usually someone might buy what, a game a month? If they're playing MMORPGs, they're "engrossed" for a much longer time in one game, hence no new games are needed (or there's simply not enough time for them)

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 02:55 AM   #29
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder
Or one could argue that less and less quality games are being produced.. or you could argue that MMORPGs are taking a large slice of the cake. Whereas usually someone might buy what, a game a month? If they're playing MMORPGs, they're "engrossed" for a much longer time in one game, hence no new games are needed (or there's simply not enough time for them)

This is definitely true of me. I buy very few single player games anymore, and when I do they tend to be smaller ones by independent developers.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:14 AM   #30
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder
...or you could argue that MMORPGs are taking a large slice of the cake. Whereas usually someone might buy what, a game a month? If they're playing MMORPGs, they're "engrossed" for a much longer time in one game, hence no new games are needed (or there's simply not enough time for them)

The MMORPG slant is an interesting one. What you say was sure true for me when I was playing World of Warcraft. That's the only game I played for seven months. I bought only one or two other games in that whole time, and had no time nor desire to play anything else anyway. Normally I'd buy a game or two a month, or even more on occasion.

It's funny, though. I've gone the other way after playing WoW. I'm not sure I'll ever play another MMORPG.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:58 AM   #31
andy m
High School Varsity

this is a fine game.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:36 AM   #32
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz
The most indepth discussion on the game that I've seen so far has been over at Octopus Overlords (be warned: the thread there has grown to 15 pages, impressions start on page 2 so just jump ahead to get a feel for what people are saying). Based on that thread and Bill Harris' impressions, I have ordered it from GoGamer.com this evening.

While I can see what the above reviewer is saying, he seems to be picking mainly on some minor issues, given what appears to be a huge, freewheeling game. Enough people whose opinions I respect have called this incredible that I'm going to take a chance on it. I'll find out in a few days. I'll try to post impressions after I get up and running.

The game sounds so good that I am going to give up my Starforce boycott in order to play it. This is coming from someone who said they would never put the crap on their computer. I'm still working out how to rationalize this part of the purchase, but I've got three days to figure something out. However, the nice thing about giving up my Starforce boycott is that I'm ordering Silent Hunter III at the same time. Woot.

I agree. I haven't ordered it yet, but will soon when I have a free moment. A lot of people I respect over at the Overlords board loved it and with the addition of the Bill Harris comments, it's a definite buy for me. The reviewer that was quoted above really seemed to be hung up on a couple relatively minor issues. Hell, a couple of his problems with the game I thought were kind of neat. I like the idea that you have to go looking for equipment based on various sizes. I like that some races support pirates and some don't. I like a game that requires me to make some decisions and not just go get the bad guys. But hey, to each his own I guess. Looking forward to your comments GB since I think we generally have very similar tastes in games.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:21 AM   #33
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,
Escape Velocity Nova is crack as far as I am concerned - if this game is anything close to that, I'm hooked.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 09:15 AM   #34
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy m
this is a fine game.

Impressions?

That review has me wondering what's going on though... Bill raves about it as well as two sites I've read tons of great things about it, yet I've seen two medicore reviews.

I will say that reviewer has been playing the heck out of the game though.. so it must be interesting.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:36 PM   #35
Galaril
Pro Starter

MizzouRah any impressions yet? Or any one else for that matter?
Old 08-26-2005, 07:48 PM   #36
hukarez
College Starter

Ugh.

Haven't had the chance to drop by Fry's over here in SD, though I'm wanting to pick this up as soon as possible. I noticed GoGamer seems to have some good options with shipping, though, I'm trying to weigh in between going into Fry's (hopefully for instant gratification), and ordering from GoGamer..
tweet tweet twitter
Old 08-26-2005, 08:29 PM   #37
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, I figure if you guys like it, would be a worth a shot. Any reviews would be appreciated.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:12 PM   #38
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Not yet. It's shipped from gogamer, but I did the cheapo shipping so sometime next week I'm thinking.

I would love for it to come tomorrow though and I'm always kicking myself for using the cheap shipping.. but hey, maybe I'll get lucky.

This is the kind of game I need a good Sunday to sit back and get immersed.

As soon as it gets here, I'll play some and then post impressions. FWIW, I'm a sports game junkie and rarely does any other type of game genre really get me going.

Bill Harris posted this today:

Quote:
Here's an additional detail and a story about Space Rangers 2.

I forgot to mention in the original column that the main part of the game doesn't support resolutions higher than 1024x768. Normally, that's a borderline dealbreaker for me. Once I played for about fifteen minutes, though, I forgot all about it, which is why I didn't mention it--I didn't remember. You can set your resolution for the RTS segment separately, and that can go up to 1280x1024. My LCD has a native resolution of 1600x1200 and the game looks terrific, even with the LCD scaling to the lower resolutions.

Here's the story: last night I was flying around in a planetary system and saw several ships flying across my path. I identified one of them as a battleship, which made me curious, so I started to follow them. They kept flying until they reached another group of battleships that had apparently been waiting for them.

I sit there in amazement, because I think I know what they're doing.

I talk to the commander of the lead battleship, and he says they're headed to a neighboring star system to liberate it from the Dominators.

Wow.

This isn't part of some heavily scripted sequence that happens once, mind you. It's just a logical consequence of what's happening in the universe, and I happened to be there to see it. Systems are invaded by the Dominators, and if they're conquered, attempts will be made to liberate them--you can see it happening all over the universe at the map level, even if you're not there to see it in person.

Again--wow.

The commander says if I'd like to join them, then just get in the formation at the back. Which I do. We warp to the neighboring system and it's total chaos in seconds.

The details of which I'll leave for you to discover for yourself.

I'm psyched.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:22 PM   #39
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Not yet. It's shipped from gogamer, but I did the cheapo shipping so sometime next week I'm thinking.

I would love for it to come tomorrow though and I'm always kicking myself for using the cheap shipping.. but hey, maybe I'll get lucky.

This is the kind of game I need a good Sunday to sit back and get immersed.

As soon as it gets here, I'll play some and then post impressions. FWIW, I'm a sports game junkie and rarely does any other type of game genre really get me going.

Bill Harris posted this today:

I'm psyched.

I ordered the game too. Also did the slow shipping. Unfortunately between work and my second wedding (same girl, different country) I will be tied up for the next two-three weeks. Also waiting for my new computer desk to arrive, so I don't end up with excrutiating back pain after playing for a few hours.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:23 PM   #40
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

I thought I'd have impressions tonight, but I got back from the State Fair a little while ago and my FedEx overnight package was not here. Called FedEx and apparently the package went on the truck but no delivery was attempted. Now it is sitting back at their shipping center.

Huh?

So anyway, maybe tomorrow I'll have impressions. FedEx assured me the package will be delivered then.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 08-26-2005 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:28 PM   #41
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I thought I'd have impressions tonight, but I got back from the State Fair a little while ago and my FedEx overnight package was not here. Called FedEx and apparently the package went on the truck but no delivery was every attempted. Now it is sitting back at their shipping center.

Huh?

So anyway, maybe tomorrow I'll have impressions. FedEx assured me the package will be delivered then.

Be sure to tell them that they'll have a gaggle of angry FOFCers to contend with if it doesn't get to you tomorrow!
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:47 PM   #42
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I thought I'd have impressions tonight, but I got back from the State Fair a little while ago and my FedEx overnight package was not here. Called FedEx and apparently the package went on the truck but no delivery was attempted. Now it is sitting back at their shipping center.

Huh?

Can't wait to hear some impressions from you GB. I'm hoping you REALLY make me want this game to arrive.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:18 PM   #43
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Can't wait to hear some impressions from you GB. I'm hoping you REALLY make me want this game to arrive.

I'd be happy if my FedEx driver really wanted my game to arrive.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:38 PM   #44
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
I'd be happy if my FedEx driver really wanted my game to arrive.

bastard!!!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 12:40 AM   #45
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

the ball's in your court GB! We need to live vocariously through you for tomorrow!
Old 08-27-2005, 06:08 AM   #46
andy m
High School Varsity

Quote:
Impressions?

That review has me wondering what's going on though... Bill raves about it as well as two sites I've read tons of great things about it, yet I've seen two medicore reviews.

i started & posted a bit on the octopus overlords thread that Godzilla Blitz linked. haven't played the game for a few days, but i am sure once my current fascination with mvp 2005 wears off i'll get back to it
Old 08-27-2005, 07:47 AM   #47
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy m
i started & posted a bit on the octopus overlords thread that Godzilla Blitz linked. haven't played the game for a few days, but i am sure once my current fascination with mvp 2005 wears off i'll get back to it

Understood. MVP might be sports game of the year, although NCAA has been pretty darn good, imo.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:57 PM   #48
hukarez
College Starter

I'm making a point to go out to Fry's today and pick this bastard up.

I called last night, to see if they had it in stock, to which their computers say "2". Only 2 copies, and apparently, priced at $29.90 for some kind of 'sale' thing they've got going on.

I'm thinking they meant to say $39.90, and I'm hoping they didn't get it confused for something else...
tweet tweet twitter
Old 08-27-2005, 02:34 PM   #49
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Darn, I was hoping mine would come today. That's what I get!!
Old 08-27-2005, 04:05 PM   #50
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Installing now...