Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-07-2009, 12:06 AM   #201
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
Okay, I'm sold. I feel the same way about Christopher Moore and Lamb. Fool just went up to the top of my "to read" list. Thanks Vince!

Excellent! Let me know what you think of it.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:27 AM   #202
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Can anyone suggest some good sport books? fiction or non. I particularly enjoy a good bio/autobiography and books about football/baseball.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:41 AM   #203
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Just about anything by John Feinstein is great - in the last year I've read "Caddy for Life: The Bruce Edwards Story," "A Good Walk Spoiled," "Tales From Q School," and "The Last Amateurs" (which is about NCAA Basketball in the Patriot League). All were great reads, and amazingly enough all cost me $1 each new at Barnes and Noble for a sale.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:58 AM   #204
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Thanks! I'll check them out. Are they available in ebook format at all?
Old 10-07-2009, 05:15 AM   #205
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
Can anyone suggest some good sport books? fiction or non. I particularly enjoy a good bio/autobiography and books about football/baseball.

When Pride Still Mattered -- biography on Vince Lombardi. A fantastic book.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:38 AM   #206
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post

I enjoyed "The Best Game Ever" by Mark Bowden, about the 1958 championship game between the Giants and Colts. Good history about an era in football I didn't know much about.

Also I would recommend that any NFL fan read "A Few Seconds of Panic" by Stefan Fatsis about his attempt to become an NFL kicker - really revealing about what goes on in a modern NFL training camp, the attitudes of the players, etc.

Both of them are available from Audible.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob

Last edited by Peregrine : 10-07-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:27 AM   #207
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I wrote yesterday about reading Gaiman's Stardust. I finished it last night. It's really a very light read and good for a fun, quick read through.

At the point I was at yesterday, the book ran very similarly to the movie (which I had already seen). Almost as if in anticipation, the book veered rather sharply from the movie at that point (or vice versa, to be more accurate).

In the end, I felt I got an almost entirely different story, and although in the end, things were much the same, the way the book went about it was quite a bit different.

I enjoyed both ways. The book's was simpler, more straight forward and in line with the easy read. The movie was much more Hollywood-ized (more action and drama), but I don't mind that if it's decently well done.

All in all, it's okay, but not as good as Neverwhere or American Gods.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:32 AM   #208
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Have you read Gaiman's The Graveyard Book? I just finished it on audiobook (read by Gaiman) and really liked it - it's sort of aimed at kids, sort of at adults, and really is interesting and fun. I particularly liked Gaiman doing the various voices of the characters in the audiobook version.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:34 AM   #209
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Have you read Gaiman's The Graveyard Book? I just finished it on audiobook (read by Gaiman) and really liked it - it's sort of aimed at kids, sort of at adults, and really is interesting and fun. I particularly liked Gaiman doing the various voices of the characters in the audiobook version.

No, I haven't. I'll have to check it out. Gaiman's got an interesting mind, fun to see what he comes up with. I have to pick up The Anansi Boys, too.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:50 AM   #210
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Just about anything by John Feinstein is great - in the last year I've read "Caddy for Life: The Bruce Edwards Story," "A Good Walk Spoiled," "Tales From Q School," and "The Last Amateurs" (which is about NCAA Basketball in the Patriot League). All were great reads, and amazingly enough all cost me $1 each new at Barnes and Noble for a sale.

+++++1

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:20 PM   #211
AgustusM
College Prospect

I am currently reading

Dan Brown - Lost Symbol - not making much progress as I am finding it to be a little too much of the same thing from his previous books. My wife liked it and tore through it in a couple days.

Bill Clinton - My Life - My opinion of Clinton has been more up and down than wall street, but I finally relented and got the 1,000+ page book. Enjoying the fascinating story so far although it feels like he is still running for office in the book as every story has a lesson with soft piano feel good music in the background.

Nick Hornby - Juliet Naked - I love everything Hornby writes and this is currently getting the most time on my kindle.

Gilliant Tett - Saving the Sun - Account of the fall of the Japanese Economy in the 90's - very interesting read.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #212
AgustusM
College Prospect

I could list 50 sports books, but this is one of the best I have read in the past couple of years. I must read for NFL fans

Next Man Up: A Year Behind the Lines in Today's NFL

Amazon.com: Next Man Up: A Year Behind the Lines in Today's NFL (9780316013284): John Feinstein: Books
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:07 AM   #213
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Ping: Gaiman fans. Have any of you read Coraline, and if so what did you think of it? I have neither read it nor seen the movie, but I'm curious.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:14 AM   #214
Icy
Pro Starter

"D-Day: The Battle for Normandy" by Anthony Beevor.

I have been always a fan of his books, the one before this, about the Spanish civil war was amazing too.

Last edited by Icy : 10-08-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:58 AM   #215
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Ping: Gaiman fans. Have any of you read Coraline, and if so what did you think of it? I have neither read it nor seen the movie, but I'm curious.

I really liked the book as a light read. It's aimed at kids, and I imagine if I read it when I was about 13, I might have even been a little frightened by it. It was entertaining and quick.

I also enjoyed the movie, though there were a few places where it deviated from the book, I thought it really worked.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:02 PM   #216
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM View Post
I could list 50 sports books, but this is one of the best I have read in the past couple of years. I must read for NFL fans

Next Man Up: A Year Behind the Lines in Today's NFL

Amazon.com: Next Man Up: A Year Behind the Lines in Today's NFL (9780316013284): John Feinstein: Books

Bought this today at Borders for 40% off. I have been meaning to pick it up and you pushed it over the edge.

Also picked up the Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks graphic novel.

So now my heavy reading is "Blood's a Rover" by Ellroy, my toilet reading is the ZSG: RA, and my light reading is Next Man Up.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #217
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
After my trip to Yosemite last month, I picked up Off The Wall: Death in Yosemite. Amazon.com: Off the Wall: Death in Yosemite (9780970097378): Michael P. Ghiglieri & Charles R. "Butch" Farabee; Jr., Jim Myers: Books

It does a great job of chronicling the various ways people have met an untimely end while visiting the park, and giving some good background info.

As for fiction, I've been really getting into a lot of Joe R. Lansdale's works. He has a very unique style, and the couple of books I've read of his so far (Mucho Mojo: Amazon.com: Mucho Mojo (9780446401876): Joe R. Lansdale: Books and Vanilla Ride: Amazon.com: Vanilla Ride (Hap and Leonard) (9780307270979): Joe R. Lansdale: Books) have been very entertaining.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #218
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Finished "The Lost Symbol" today. I must confess, after awhile it got too repetitive, and the story felt like it was dragging on. Also, the changes in view point at "critical" points felt forced and just annoyed me (I don't remember Brown doing that nearly as much in previous books). It also felt like he got paid extra the more he'd add references to internet searches, Blackberry, iPhone, and stuff like Twitter.

I "read" the book in audio. After the main story was resolved (in the room with the skylight), the audio version had TWO MORE HOURS of crap that just dragged on and on and on. I also don't know if Dan Brown really used the word "disorientate" (or forms of it like "disorientated") as often as he did, or if the narrarator couldn't read, but I assume it was Brown. It drove me bonkers.

In the end, the book definitely wasn't as good as DaVinci Code or Angels and Demons, and I'm not sure I'd recommend it as highly as I did when I was only 1/3 way through or so.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:45 PM   #219
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I just had the pleasure of enjoying a book I read for school.

It is called Nickel and Dimed.

Nickel and Dimed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:48 PM   #220
Autumn
Head Coach

I enjoyed that book too, Lathum, and recommend it for a quick interesting read to anyone.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:24 PM   #221
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Just got finished with The Shadow Rising, book four of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series. Jordan really knows how to wrap you up in the story - the whole Two Rivers saga with Perrin and Faile was extremely intense. One of my favorite parts of Jordan's writing is that he'll have two or three different threads going at any one time, and as soon as he jumps from one storyline to another, I typically get really pissed, because the one storyline was just starting to get good. Inevitably, after a chapter or so, I'm totally engrossed in the new storyline again.

I think my favorite scene in the whole epic saga is when Mat, still weakened from finally being separated from the Shadar Logoth dagger, beats the crap out of Galad and Gawyn with a "stick" (really, a quarterstaff) in Tar Valon.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 10-14-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:28 AM   #222
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I always liked Jordan though he did get his fair share of criticism for dragging the WOT series out so long. I agree with you on the storyline jumping though. I really enjoyed his books. Can't wait for the series to finally come to a completion. I'll be re-reading that series at least once and likely more than that.

Quote:
Just got finished with The Shadow Rising, book four of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series. Jordan really knows how to wrap you up in the story - the whole Two Rivers saga with Perrin and Faile was extremely intense. One of my favorite parts of Jordan's writing is that he'll have two or three different threads going at any one time, and as soon as he jumps from one storyline to another, I typically get really pissed, because the one storyline was just starting to get good. Inevitably, after a chapter or so, I'm totally engrossed in the new storyline again.

I think my favorite scene in the whole epic saga is when Mat, still weakened from finally being separated from the Shadar Logoth dagger, beats the crap out of Galad and Gawyn with a "stick" (really, a quarterstaff) in Tar Valon.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:24 AM   #223
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Finished a third Joe R. Lansdale book last night, The Bottoms (Amazon.com: The Bottoms (9780446677929): Joe R. Lansdale: Books)

An awesome read. It isn't in the same vein as the first two books of his I mentioned. It is a great mystery/coming-of-age story about a series of brutal murders and the possible supernatural link to them. Some have compared it to "To Kill a Mockingbird", but it only has some high level similarities.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 10-15-2009 at 10:49 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:33 AM   #224
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Animal Behaviorism, Ninth Edition

Last edited by Lathum : 10-15-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:34 AM   #225
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I am also reading a book called Death in the Haymarket which is about the Chicago labor movement in the late 1800's.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:46 AM   #226
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

"Shutter Island" Dennis Lehane - the movie has intrigued me

"Terror" Dan Simmons - a spin on a failed polar expedition, I like Simmons, so I'm ready, got the hardcover for 6 bucks.

"Physics of the Impossible" Michio Kaku - Just started...interesting

"Collapse" Jared Diamond - Slogging through this, just a deep fount of information, so I read a chapter a month to not burn out.

Just finished "Pygmy" by Palahniuk which was a terrible read for me. I realize his protagonist is "in-character" and therefore has a vernacular to that of a rogue North Korean country but it was ham-fisted to me as opposed to "Clockwork Orange" or "Huckleberry Finn".
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:10 AM   #227
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I really enjoyed The Terror, but then I love all of Simmons' books.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:36 PM   #228
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I really enjoyed The Terror, but then I love all of Simmons' books.

The Terror was so good. Is Drood in paperback yet?
Old 10-15-2009, 12:51 PM   #229
bbor
Pro Starter

Reading Michael Connellys' new book right now Nine dragons.He writes with re occuring characters that i enjoy.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:17 PM   #230
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

The slogging through reference above reminds me I am doing much the same thing with Ghost Wars by Steve Coll, the 2005 Pulitzer winner about the CIA role in the Afghan rebellion against the Soviets during the 80s. It's extremely interesting and revealing, but it gives you a ton of info and is heavily footnoted. Since the footnotes themselves are often pretty interesting, you spend a lot of time bouncing back and forth from the main read to the footnotes section. So I am reading that one, bit by bit.

SM Stirling's latest book The Sword of the Lady is out (the next in the Die The Fire world). I think someone here mentioned it earlier. I think that series is a fantastic read, but I hate buying the hardcovers, so I am waiting for that one to hit paperback.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 10-15-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:51 PM   #231
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
"Shutter Island" Dennis Lehane - the movie has intrigued me

Let us know what you think. I read this book about three years ago and I still think about it from time to time. Great book.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:07 PM   #232
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Just started last year's Booker Prize winner..White Tiger. So far it is pretty good, but I am not that far in yet.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:16 PM   #233
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I finished reading a biography on Sandy Koufax a couple weeks back called Sandy Koufax: A Lefty's Legacy. The book was alternating chapters, with one chapter being about his life story, and the next chapter being about his perfect game against the Cubs. Each chapter about the perfect game was one inning per chapter. By the time I was reaching the climax of the perfect game I was becoming more and more knowledgeable about Koufax, and found myself emotionally touched by the baseball game as I came to know more about Sandy Koufax the man. It was a good book, for sure. Leavy did a pretty good job with it, although sometimes her writing seemed kind of... awkward? It just seemed at times she would say things that had nothing to do with the subject at hand. It wasn't enough to ruin the book though, as I still enjoyed it.

hxxp://www.amazon.com/Sandy-Koufax-Leftys-Jane-Leavy/dp/0060933291/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256407481&sr=8-1

Currently Reading:

Luckiest Man: The Life and Death of Lou Gehrig by Jonathan Eig

hxxp://www.amazon.com/Luckiest-Man-Life-Death-Gehrig/dp/0743268938/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256407835&sr=1-2

About 50 pages in, and really enjoying it so far. But not far enough to obviously make any real judgment on it.

Just picked up:

The Iowa Baseball Confederacy by W.P. Kinsella

hxxp://www.amazon.com/Iowa-Baseball-Confederacy-Novel/dp/0618340807/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256408152&sr=1-2

Looking forward to this one...
Old 10-26-2009, 02:38 AM   #234
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Just finished The Fires of Heaven in the Wheel of Time series. Started to slow down on the series with this one...I'd been mowing each one down in a day or three, and this took me more than a week. Since I don't want to make this into a Wheel of Time discussion thread...

Spoiler

I'm going to start Lord of Chaos tomorrow (book 6). If I remember correctly, this is where it started to slow down for me - here or in A Crown of Swords (book 7). We'll see how I feel once I'm through this book.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:23 PM   #235
Bad-example
College Starter

I have a backlog of sci fi books to read and am having a hard time deciding which to tackle next.

Spin State and Spin Control - Chris Moriarity
Camouflage - Joe Haldeman
Calculating God - Robert J. Sawyer
The Algebraist - Iain M. Banks

Any advice?
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:22 AM   #236
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
I have a backlog of sci fi books to read and am having a hard time deciding which to tackle next.

Spin State and Spin Control - Chris Moriarity
Camouflage - Joe Haldeman
Calculating God - Robert J. Sawyer
The Algebraist - Iain M. Banks

Any advice?

I'm not a huge scifi fan but I really loved Calculating God. A scifi book that gets into some fairly deem and meaningful stuff. I love the title. Is it that we're calculating God trying to figure him out or is God doing the calculating in creating the universe.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:11 PM   #237
Bad-example
College Starter

Thank you! Putting that one on top of the pile.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:17 PM   #238
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I just finished "The Amateurs" by Marcus Sakey.

It's a crime fiction novel about 4 friends who decide to try and rip off a drug dealer and get in way above their heads. It's a very good, very fast read. I tend to be a pretty plodding reader, but I ripped through this in less than a week. Definitely a fun page turner.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:19 PM   #239
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm reading "Superfreakonomics". Brilliant stuff. I liked the original better, but it still rocks .
Old 10-30-2009, 06:53 PM   #240
JohnnyBGood
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I just had the pleasure of enjoying a book I read for school.

It is called Nickel and Dimed.

Nickel and Dimed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I enjoyed that book too, Lathum, and recommend it for a quick interesting read to anyone.

If you guys enjoyed that book, then check out this critique of it. The book is called Scratch Beginnings: Me, $25 and the Search for the American Dream by Adam Shepard. In short, he argues that Barbara Ehrenriech went into writing Nickle and Dimed with the results already in her head, thus making her project flawed and pre-conceived. Shepard then proceeds to start from scratch in a new city, starting homeless, and I won't ruin it for you, but sets out to accomplish a set goal. Quick read and an interesting one, if you liked N&D, then this at least tells the other side of the story to Ehrenriech's pre-constructed agenda.

Scratch Beginnings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And here is an interview by John Stossel with both Barbara Ehrenreich and Adam Shepard. When confronted, Ehrenreich comes off really uncomfortable. Like an exposed, bumbling fool.

YouTube - SCRATCH BEGINNINGS , Yes You can still make it in America

Last edited by JohnnyBGood : 10-30-2009 at 07:02 PM.
JohnnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #241
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The Forsaken: An American Tragedy in Stalin's Russia ~ Tim Tzouliadis
It's a book about thousands of Americans who moved to Russia during the Great Depression, wooed by talk of jobs for everyone and so forth and how the entire scam was unraveled with the majority of those people losing their citizenship or their lives. Sad, but fascinating story.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:42 PM   #242
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBGood View Post
If you guys enjoyed that book, then check out this critique of it. The book is called Scratch Beginnings: Me, $25 and the Search for the American Dream by Adam Shepard. In short, he argues that Barbara Ehrenriech went into writing Nickle and Dimed with the results already in her head, thus making her project flawed and pre-conceived. Shepard then proceeds to start from scratch in a new city, starting homeless, and I won't ruin it for you, but sets out to accomplish a set goal. Quick read and an interesting one, if you liked N&D, then this at least tells the other side of the story to Ehrenriech's pre-constructed agenda.

It sounds interesting, JohnnyBGood, I'll check it out.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:29 PM   #243
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
I finished reading a biography on Sandy Koufax a couple weeks back called Sandy Koufax: A Lefty's Legacy. The book was alternating chapters, with one chapter being about his life story, and the next chapter being about his perfect game against the Cubs. Each chapter about the perfect game was one inning per chapter. By the time I was reaching the climax of the perfect game I was becoming more and more knowledgeable about Koufax, and found myself emotionally touched by the baseball game as I came to know more about Sandy Koufax the man. It was a good book, for sure. Leavy did a pretty good job with it, although sometimes her writing seemed kind of... awkward? It just seemed at times she would say things that had nothing to do with the subject at hand. It wasn't enough to ruin the book though, as I still enjoyed it.

hxxp://www.amazon.com/Sandy-Koufax-Leftys-Jane-Leavy/dp/0060933291/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256407481&sr=8-1

Currently Reading:

Luckiest Man: The Life and Death of Lou Gehrig by Jonathan Eig

hxxp://www.amazon.com/Luckiest-Man-Life-Death-Gehrig/dp/0743268938/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256407835&sr=1-2

About 50 pages in, and really enjoying it so far. But not far enough to obviously make any real judgment on it.

Just picked up:

The Iowa Baseball Confederacy by W.P. Kinsella

hxxp://www.amazon.com/Iowa-Baseball-Confederacy-Novel/dp/0618340807/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256408152&sr=1-2

Looking forward to this one...

I am still slowly getting through the book on Lou Gehrig but I went ahead and read the Iowa Baseball Confederacy. I'm not sure if it was this forum, or another, that I had seen a few people mention how much they loved this book so I was excited to read it.

I liked it, but to an extent. It had it's moments where it shined. One moment in particular involved a minister preaching out loud in the middle of a baseball game, in the middle of a bad storm. Towards the end of the book though the suspension of belief just got to be too much. Kinsella took a great idea and almost ruined it, in my opinion.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 11-02-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:26 PM   #244
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

I just finished reading Shutter Island. It is kind of a gothic horror wrapped in hard-boiled detective novel clothing. I enjoyed it alot and would recommend it but I guessed the main twist early on. I did not figure out all the secrets, though. I think it could make a really good movie on its own. It will probably be great since Scorscese[sp?] is directing.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:46 PM   #245
rowech
Pro Starter

Picked up and started Bill Simmons' "The Book of Basketball"
Old 11-02-2009, 05:48 PM   #246
cougarfreak
College Starter

Just finished the first book in Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy......starting book 2. I know it's an older series, but it was very good. I got book 1 and 2 free on the kindle this summer and decided to go ahead and read them. Good stuff.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #247
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I'm really excited for the movie. Shutter Island is one of my favorite books.

I went ahead and stopped on the library this afternoon so my currently reading shelve looks like this:

The Lou Gehrig book I mentioned above.

I will probably go ahead and finish that within the next week then I will have two more books to read. The Road by Cormac McCarthy and The Forever War by Dexter Filkins. I read Blood Meridian by Mr. McCarthy awhile due to the acclaim it has received on this forum and elsewhere, but couldn't get past his writing. Figured I would give him another shot and chose The Road due to the movie coming out later this month.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #248
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Reading Michael Connellys' new book right now Nine dragons.He writes with re occuring characters that i enjoy.

This book was eh....

now reading David Baldacci "true blue"

Old 11-05-2009, 01:38 PM   #249
path12
Coordinator

Finished Gaiman's American Gods last night. Enjoyed it, though I thought the plot fell apart a bit in the second half.

Can anyone tell me if Anasi Boys (sp?) is a companion piece or a separate novel altogether?
Old 11-05-2009, 02:53 PM   #250
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The COINTELPRO Papers. Testimonies and copies of official documents chronicling the FBI's illegal dealings and counter intelligence programs. It focuses mainly on The Black Panthers, The Puerto Rican Nationalist Movement, The Red Scare, American Indian Movements, and student organizations.

The tactics they used and downright trampling of peoples civil liberties is quiet disturbing.