Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-03-2009, 09:38 PM   #101
molson
General Manager

I counted 177 players on the DL current in real-life MLB. Sure, some of those are 60-day-DL guys that might not be on a roster otherwise, but if you look at the list, there's a lot of big names. So those would all be 2 week+ injuries (including guys like Smoltz, who were on the DL to start the year).

Last edited by molson : 06-03-2009 at 09:40 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:12 PM   #102
JPhillips
General Manager

Here's the list of injuries for my 2009 Reds. IMO there are too many long-term injuries.

5 days
5 days
1 day
3 days
2 days
6 days
6 days
2 days
5 days

1-2 weeks
1-2 weeks
3 weeks
2 weeks
1 week
1-2 weeks
1 week
2 weeks
1-2 weeks
2 weeks

1 month
6-7 months
6 weeks
5 weeks
7 weeks
5 weeks
4-5 months
5-6 weeks
1 month
8 weeks
Career ending
1 month
4 months
Old 06-03-2009, 10:41 PM   #103
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
Maybe we could just copy and paste the OOTP 9 discussion thread in here...

this post is not getting nearly enough love
Old 06-03-2009, 11:19 PM   #104
RainMaker
General Manager

Can you set the rotation use for the entire league?

Optimally, you'd want to use the highest rested in April and then for the playoffs. Switching to a strict rotation means that game 5 of the playoffs has you up against a 5th starter.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:34 AM   #105
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
I mean individual pitch ratings, fastball, curveball, etc. They are now very important, and left off the player's HTML.

Yes, they are. I saw a few complaints about this over at the OOTP board. Again, this just goes to how assinine it is to have two different player cards in the game, each giving you slightly different information and different presentations.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:38 AM   #106
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Ahh my bad, I honestly never even look at a player's HTML card within the game. I didn't even realize they are different!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:39 AM   #107
Ksyrup

To comment on a few issues posted above...

I always turn scouting (and coaching, for that matter) off. I've never been able to make sense of the ratings, so I just shut them off.

I always put injuries on low and fatigue on high. I'd rather see less injuries bt have guys need to be rested more often. This is one of those situations where I think realism gets in the way of a fun game. I know we've had this discussion about FOF before - if you really had accurate injury frequency/severity in the game, you would spend 75% of your time signing crap FAs to replace your injured players and constantly having to make decisions about IRing or cutting certain players. Looks like the same thing here. The injuries may be realistic, but I'd rather no have to deal with a realistic frequency if it saps the fun out of the game.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-04-2009, 06:42 AM   #108
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

I always turn scouting (and coaching, for that matter) off. I've never been able to make sense of the ratings, so I just shut them off.

I always put injuries on low and fatigue on high. I'd rather see less injuries bt have guys need to be rested more often. This is one of those situations where I think realism gets in the way of a fun game. I know we've had this discussion about FOF before - if you really had accurate injury frequency/severity in the game, you would spend 75% of your time signing crap FAs to replace your injured players and constantly having to make decisions about IRing or cutting certain players. Looks like the same thing here. The injuries may be realistic, but I'd rather no have to deal with a realistic frequency if it saps the fun out of the game.

I am exactly the same on both of these things. I actually have never ever yet found enjoyment in having coaches/scouts in any sim that I have played whether it is football, baseball, soccer, professional oreo stuffing league, or whatever.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:47 AM   #109
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Ahh my bad, I honestly never even look at a player's HTML card within the game. I didn't even realize they are different!

I think it's the default card in the history section, or any other HTML pages. I think. I can't keep it all straight. I just know I don't like it.

For instance, the HTML cards have a terrible presentation of transactions/awards (all clumped together in chronological order, and you can't easily see Cy Young awards, championships, etc.), whereas I believe the in-game transaction section shows you the awards separately.

And a biggie (for me, anyway) that's missing from the HTML cards that is on the in-game card (one of the tabs) is real-life stats. So for someone like me who loves to sim history, I sim 100 years and start sifting through various players' HTML cards, come across some guy I've never heard of who ended up a HoFer, and in order to see his real life stats, I've got to right click the guy's link in his HTML card to get to the in-game card and go to the tab to find those stats. And then there's also an issue (at least there was in 9) with a wanky "back" button - sometimes it would take you back through the screens you were looking at, and sometimes you'd end up going too far back. Again, it just depended on how you got to that point as to which screens you could go back to. In other words, a huge pain in the ass to have to switch between both cards, which you need to do to get all of the information. Sometimes I found it easier to just leave the HTML card up and browse to baseball-reference.com to see a guy's real life stats! I just don't get that at all.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-04-2009 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:55 AM   #110
miked
College Starter

Quote:
I think it's the default card in the history section, or any other HTML pages. I think. I can't keep it all straight. I just know I don't like it.

For instance, the HTML cards have a terrible presentation of transactions/awards (all clumped together in chronological order, and you can't easily see Cy Young awards, championships, etc.), whereas I believe the in-game transaction section shows you the awards separately.

And a biggie (for me, anyway) that's missing from the HTML cards that is on the in-game card (one of the tabs) is real-life stats. So for someone like me who loves to sim history, I sim 100 years and start sifting through various players' HTML cards, come across some guy I've never heard of who ended up a HoFer, and in order to see his real life stats, I've got to right click the guy's link in his HTML card to get to the in-game card and go to the tab to find those stats. And then there's also an issue (at least there was in 9) with a wanky "back" button - sometimes it would take you back through the screens you were looking at, and sometimes you'd end up going too far back. Again, it just depended on how you got to that point as to which screens you could go back to. In other words, a huge pain in the ass to have to switch between both cards, which you need to do to get all of the information. Sometimes I found it easier to just leave the HTML card up and browse to baseball-reference.com to see a guy's real life stats! I just don't get that at all.

I'm talking about online. I click on a player. He supposedly has ratings for fastball, curveball, slider, changeup, splitter, etc. They are not displayed. This is annoying because these pitch ratings now determine whether a borderline guy with a 3-5 stamina can start. I'd love to not have to open the game every time I want to scout a team for trade possibilities.

Leonard Ollis example. I know from the player page in the game that he has 5 pitches, 4 of which are great. So where's that important info on his HTML?
Old 06-04-2009, 07:01 AM   #111
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm talking about online. I click on a player. He supposedly has ratings for fastball, curveball, slider, changeup, splitter, etc. They are not displayed. This is annoying because these pitch ratings now determine whether a borderline guy with a 3-5 stamina can start. I'd love to not have to open the game every time I want to scout a team for trade possibilities.

Leonard Ollis example. I know from the player page in the game that he has 5 pitches, 4 of which are great. So where's that important info on his HTML?

Yeah, with the change to the pitching system, the individual pitches should be shown there (definitely over the hitting ratings). Was this ever logged as a bug or reported or anything? That should be changed probably.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:04 AM   #112
Ksyrup

That's what I'm saying - that info is on the in-game card, not the HTML card. But both cards - in-game player card and HTML - are used in the game at certain places (like when you are looking at history, even if you are not playing online). It's not just an online v. game thing. It's just that if you are looking at the HTML card from within the game, there is a way to get to the in-game player card. And if you are just looking at the HTML cards online, there is not. It's an issue, I agree (although I don't play online, I think the whole set-up of dual cards is problematic).
Old 06-04-2009, 07:10 AM   #113
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Yeah, with the change to the pitching system, the individual pitches should be shown there (definitely over the hitting ratings). Was this ever logged as a bug or reported or anything? That should be changed probably.

It was BZed...hopefully it gets looked at. The online HTML cards were probably recycled from last version, or created before this feature was put in...then just left out.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:20 AM   #114
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It was BZed...hopefully it gets looked at. The online HTML cards were probably recycled from last version, or created before this feature was put in...then just left out.

I found the BZ for it. Seems like there are plenty of supporting comments agreeing with your point. I'm guessing you are correct that it just was missed when the new pitching system was put into place. I have to imagine that gets fixed in a patch.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:41 AM   #115
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Anyone doing a dynasty? This is my first time playing OOTP since probably 2000, and even then, it was probably just for a couple days. I have no idea what I'm doing!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:44 AM   #116
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
I am exactly the same on both of these things. I actually have never ever yet found enjoyment in having coaches/scouts in any sim that I have played whether it is football, baseball, soccer, professional oreo stuffing league, or whatever.

Where do I find this professional oreo stuffing league? Does the box have the Manning brothers on the front?!?!?!?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:45 AM   #117
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'm with you on this Ksyrup.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:01 AM   #118
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I played a couple of hours last night. All the options are pretty overwhelming right now, much of which has to do with the movement amongst the various clubs when you sign guys, waivers, who can move where, etc. Hopefully someone at the OOTP forum will give a good document on that to help better understand how all the various transactions work.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 06-04-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:04 AM   #119
Ksyrup

I do this every year (well, at least the past 2, I think), and it always turns out to be a disaster because there ends up not being enough players to go around, but I'm thinking about resurrecting my "alternative reality" idea of manually adding in the Federal League with real players for 1914 and 1915 and then playing out a "what if?" scenario with the Federal League continuing in existence and sharing free agents with the MLB (no free agency in MLB an no trades with the FL, but allowing both leagues to freely access each other's free agents). I'm thinking about reducing the number of teams in the FL to 6 and doing something to limit the number of players in the MLB's minor league - perhaps that would help with the player-sharing issues.

The FL always ends up being the lesser of the two leagues, of course, but I find it interesting to see how MLB players develop in a league where they are playing against vastly inferior competition - particularly great/HoF players who get cut early on for some reason and scooped up by an FL team and go on to put up ridiculous monster numbers. And also, good/great players at the end of their careers getting picked up by an FL team and sticking around posting decent numbers for a few more years. For whatever reason, the idea of that third league co-existing with the MLB and using real players has been an on-going interest to me. But invariably, what happens is that by the 50/60s, the pitching staffs are so worn thin you end up with guys with pitching lines that look like they've come straight out of 1890 or something. I may be up for the challenge once again, though.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:10 AM   #120
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

how many MLB teams would you have in that scenario? if you balanced the two somewhat so that the total # of teams was still the same then wouldn't you not have that problem?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:17 AM   #121
Ksyrup

I would leave the MLB exactly the same as if I was running an historical sim (which I would be doing, just adding in the FL). So the number of teams will always be the number of teams in the MLB in any given year + the number of FL teams. There were 8 FL teams in 1914 and 1915, and I could scale it back to 4 or 6 startingin 1916 (which would be the first year of my "fictional" league with real players). So there's always going to be an issue with the FL teams being made up totally of MLB FAs and released minor leaguers, it's just a matter of how many are out there to adequately fill the FL teams.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-04-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:19 AM   #122
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I would leave the MLB exactly the same as if I was running an historical sim (which I would be doing, just adding in the FL). Soe the number of teams will always be the number of teams in the MLB in any given year + the number of FL teams. There were 8 FL teams in 1914 and 1915, and I could scale it back to 4 or 6 startingin 1916 (which would be the first year of my "fictional" league with real players). So there's always going to be an issue with the FL teams being made up totally of MLB FAs and released minor leaguers, it's just a matter of how many are out there to adequately fill the FL teams.

Once again, I'm not an expert on historical simming by any means so I am hesitant to give my thoughts in case I mislead you.. but my understanding on people who want to do this type of thing is that it is hard. The main reason as far as I understand is until the mid-1970s for whatever reason there just is a lack of players in the historical databases to expand too much. The same problem occurs to people who want to start with minor leagues instead of the reserve roster for whatever reason back then.

You end up having to do other things to work around the lack of players, such as creating fictional players to fill the holes or whatnot, which then defeats the purpose of many people trying to do alternate reality historical simming.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #123
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Once again, I'm not an expert on historical simming by any means so I am hesitant to give my thoughts in case I mislead you.. but my understanding on people who want to do this type of thing is that it is hard. The main reason as far as I understand is until the mid-1970s for whatever reason there just is a lack of players in the historical databases to expand too much. The same problem occurs to people who want to start with minor leagues instead of the reserve roster for whatever reason back then.

You end up having to do other things to work around the lack of players, such as creating fictional players to fill the holes or whatnot, which then defeats the purpose of many people trying to do alternate reality historical simming.

I would think that if your historical universe was going to have more teams than real life, than it'd be totally "realistic" to have a bunch of fictional players. If the Federal league survived and grew, clearly there'd be additional players in the world that we don't know about today.

Couldn't one just "fill" the federal league with players, then release them all to free agency, and that way they'll be distributed properly between the two leagues? The only problem with that would be that the players might be too "good" - obviously you'd want all your fictional players to be worse than the historical players.

Last edited by molson : 06-04-2009 at 11:29 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:31 AM   #124
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I would think that if your historical universe was going to have more teams than real life, than it'd be totally "realistic" to have a bunch of fictional players. If the Federal league survived and grew, clearly there'd be additional players in the world that we don't know about today.

Couldn't one just "fill" the federal league with players, then release them all to free agency, and that way they'll be distributed properly between the two leagues? The only problem with that would be that the players might be too "good" - obviously you'd want all your fictional players to be worse than the historical players.

yeah. that or cut down the number of MLB-teams using the "well the Federal League provided a lil competition so the MLB couldn't expand to these cities" type of storyline in your mind.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:46 AM   #125
Ksyrup

I appreciate all of the thoughts, and yeah, I can tell you from experience it is hard to accomplish. I'm really trying not to use any fictional players or alter the MLB teams/league structure in any way. But I have given some thought to changes that would occur in the MLB league based on competition with another league (one being adopting a FA rule similar to Japan's (FA after 10 years) to facilitate some cross-pollination of players, not just the crappy leftovers). So far I have resisted making structural changes or introducing fictional players, though, simply because it defeats the purpose.

I wish the Lahman Database had the Negro League, because that would be a great way to introduce real players into the universe while helping to solve the player problem.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:03 AM   #126
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I've never played OOTP extensively in the past, but I've been in the mood for a sim so I picked OOTP X up - I'm really impressed so far. I have a problem with a lot of sims that present a ton of information but it takes forever to find it all - this game is very user friendly and it's easy to find what you need. I love that on the bottom third of the lineup screen you track your starters, platooners or depth players, how often you should rest your starters, and defensive subs, all in one place. Cool stuff, I'm looking forward to giving this a shot.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:10 AM   #127
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I wish the Lahman Database had the Negro League, because that would be a great way to introduce real players into the universe while helping to solve the player problem.

I think there needs to be wayyyyy more outrage over this frankly. I'd love to play a game and be able to get Negro League players in there - setup a parallel structure or something.

Pretty racist that the Lahman DB doesn't include them now that I think about it.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:16 AM   #128
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I think there needs to be wayyyyy more outrage over this frankly. I'd love to play a game and be able to get Negro League players in there - setup a parallel structure or something.

Pretty racist that the Lahman DB doesn't include them now that I think about it.

You aren't being very fair at all with this statement.

Evaluating Negro Leaguers FAQ by David Marasco

Edit: They have some pretty nice writeups about the players of the Negro Leagues as well, and speak highly of them too.

Last edited by Alan T : 06-05-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:45 AM   #129
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You aren't being very fair at all with this statement.

Evaluating Negro Leaguers FAQ by David Marasco

Edit: They have some pretty nice writeups about the players of the Negro Leagues as well, and speak highly of them too.

fair enough. it was more mock-outrage than real outrage. I mean I'd LOVE to see them in the DB, but I'm not up in arms about it or anything. i also had never looked on their site to see. Guess I probably should have used a in my original post or something so people knew not to take it quite so seriously.

Thanks though - nice to see they've thought of it.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:05 AM   #130
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
fair enough. it was more mock-outrage than real outrage. I mean I'd LOVE to see them in the DB, but I'm not up in arms about it or anything. i also had never looked on their site to see. Guess I probably should have used a in my original post or something so people knew not to take it quite so seriously.

Thanks though - nice to see they've thought of it.

Quick sidenote to this conversation. The Negro Leaues Baseball Museum is located in Kansas City and it's fantastic if you're a baseball geek. Lots of great stories about the exploits of these players and some of their antics as well. I wish I would have had the opportunity to watch Sachel Paige in his prime.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:48 PM   #131
Ksyrup

Anyone know how to unlicense the game if I don't have the start menu folders for the game that usually have the unlicense option? I put this on a computer that just isn't playing nicely, and I want to unlicense/delete, but I don't see any way to unlicense before I delete and I'm afraid I'll lose that license if I just delete first. I also looked in the control panel and don't see any elicense controls, either.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:58 PM   #132
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Quote:
Anyone know how to unlicense the game if I don't have the start menu folders for the game that usually have the unlicense option? I put this on a computer that just isn't playing nicely, and I want to unlicense/delete, but I don't see any way to unlicense before I delete and I'm afraid I'll lose that license if I just delete first. I also looked in the control panel and don't see any elicense controls, either.

This should work - Unlicensing OOTP
Old 06-05-2009, 01:58 PM   #133
SnowMan
High School Varsity

Look for the elicense control in your control panel.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:04 PM   #134
Ksyrup

There is no elicense control in the control panel. Hammer's link has the alternate way to do it. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:07 PM   #135
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:

You can also edit the shortcut and add -unlicense at the end of the program location text box. then double click on i and it will open the unlicense screen.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:09 PM   #136
Ksyrup

That's what Hammer's link says to do. It worked.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #137
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I am going to put about 8 hours into this game tonight!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:27 PM   #138
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Can anyone help me out? I'm trying to start a sort of alternate historical universe similar to Ksyrup's idea - I want to start with the historical MLB in 1959 but I will presume that the (in RL abortive) Continental League actually formed, bringing teams to Atlanta, Minneapolis, Houston, etc.) I think I've figured out how to set up the two leagues, but I'm not sure how the drafting works - I'm guessing the historical league will use the historical draft files, but what will the other league use? Is it possible to make two leagues share the draft pool or will a second, fictional draft pool be created for the CL?

Last edited by Peregrine : 06-05-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:34 PM   #139
Ksyrup

That's what I'm having some issues with right now. I did this so long ago I'm not sure how I kept the second league from creating fictional players every year, but I know I did it. This morning, though, the test league I created with the Federal League as a separate league did generate some fictional players. I don't recall how I stopped that from happening before, though.

If you (we) can solve that problem, the other issue you're going to have is how you want to place players into either league. The way I did it before (I think) was to have the players placed onto their real MLB teams, but have the option checked in both the ML and FL leagues to share free agents (so that the FA pool looks the same in both leagues and can be drawn on freely by teams in either league). That lead to the FL getting the obviously inferior players that weren't placed on MLB teams and/or released by them. I think you could also just have those players released to free agency and it would be a free-for-all among both leagues as to who gets what players, but that would lead to a huge mix of talent as opposed to MLB being the more dominant league.

I plan on spending some time with this tonight and trying to figure out how I did this a couple of years ago. I know I solved the ficitional player creation issue, but whatever I did, I didn't do it right this morning!

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-05-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:37 PM   #140
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Yeah, that's a good point - personally I'm okay with some fictional players for the CL - mainly because it's an entirely fictional league. I was hoping I could use some kind of salary cap limit to prevent the CL from getting too strong and prevent them from signing the marquee free agents - not sure how that would work though. Also allowing trades between the leagues could add to the player mix, maybe in a good way - I know the AI in this game likes to trade.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:39 PM   #141
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

anyone know how good the ai in this game

thanks
Old 06-05-2009, 02:43 PM   #142
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
I appreciate all of the thoughts, and yeah, I can tell you from experience it is hard to accomplish. I'm really trying not to use any fictional players or alter the MLB teams/league structure in any way. But I have given some thought to changes that would occur in the MLB league based on competition with another league (one being adopting a FA rule similar to Japan's (FA after 10 years) to facilitate some cross-pollination of players, not just the crappy leftovers). So far I have resisted making structural changes or introducing fictional players, though, simply because it defeats the purpose.

hmmm...What Would Keruoac Do?
Old 06-05-2009, 02:43 PM   #143
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

is there a beer tent? i don't play games without beer tents anymore
Old 06-05-2009, 02:44 PM   #144
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
anyone know how good the ai in this game

thanks

allen iverson not in game but can now be imported via entering in nba stats to generate ratings i think - read that from another board

Last edited by lighthousekeeper : 06-05-2009 at 02:44 PM.
lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:45 PM   #145
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
allen iverson not in game but can now be imported via entering in nba stats to generate ratings i think

And those will update during the NBA season based on Iverson's real life performance.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:56 PM   #146
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yeah, that's a good point - personally I'm okay with some fictional players for the CL - mainly because it's an entirely fictional league. I was hoping I could use some kind of salary cap limit to prevent the CL from getting too strong and prevent them from signing the marquee free agents - not sure how that would work though. Also allowing trades between the leagues could add to the player mix, maybe in a good way - I know the AI in this game likes to trade.

You can keep them entirely separate, or allow them just to sign FA in the pool (and combined with limited or no free agency in the MLB universe, effectively keep the CL from getting anyone other than scrubs, washed-up vets, or the occasional stud who slips through). Or, you can allow free agency and trades in both leagues and reallyt mix up the player universes.

When I kept mine fairly well separate, there was always a HoFer or 3 who, for some reason, would get released almost immediately after coming into the game. Hank Greenberg was one guy I distinctly remember would always get released by several teams, and it had nothing to do with whether I was playing with the FL or not. But one sim with the FL he got dropped and an FL team picked him up, and the results were outrageous. He put up over 1000 HRs and routinely had a .400+ average and 200 RBIs a year in the FL.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:04 PM   #147
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I think I'm going to have the CL be decent, but not as good as the majors - though maybe over time it could get stronger. I'll try it for now by allowing them to trade and share free agents, but I've reduced the salaries, media contract, and cash values across the board. It should progress as seasons go by though, so after a while it could become fairly competitive. I'm also bumping up the foreign players percentage for the CL, since I figure they would be scouring the world for decent players.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:22 PM   #148
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Well my first attempt failed miserably, somehow the main fictional league got all messed up and had all the RL players scattered over different teams.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:35 PM   #149
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
allen iverson not in game but can now be imported via entering in nba stats to generate ratings i think - read that from another board

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And those will update during the NBA season based on Iverson's real life performance.
do iverson go to practice in this game and also do it update his tantrums like real nba season or do he behave

ok im done
Old 06-05-2009, 03:35 PM   #150
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

oh and do this game have too many pancakes

would have edited last post but ben e dog took away my edit button