Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #1
QuikSand
lolzcat

FOFC's IT knowledge bank (again) - email transition

Once again asking for some guidance from this site. Tedious situation.

Short version is:

-Former employee at my office, worked here forever, tied up tons of personal and business stuff in our email system (we use Novell GroupWise)

-He has left the office, and on a temporary basis I have allowed him to retain and use the email account

-I am trying to tie up this loose end, and get him "transitioned" out of our email address, and into something else of his choosing (I have pledged that we'd help out with the transition)

-It appears that he is preparing to "go Apple" at home and get a Mac and iPhone as his main email setup for his own use

Is my best bet here to go to my local Apple store and get their guidance on what I need to have done to get this taken care of?

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

You can't just alias his email account to forward onto a new addy of his choosing?
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Could you just setup an auto-forward rule on his current account to whatever he wants to use for his new account and then tell him he has X days (60, 90, whatever) before the auto-forward is cut off?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:55 PM   #4
QuikSand
lolzcat

Yes, I am planning to do an auto-forward and then eventually shut down the current address. That's pretty much a given.

Guess I am not articulating well. He wants to retain access to all his old emails and contacts and whatnot from our email server, into which he seems to have embedded his entire life over a long time at the office.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

So yeah, you need to export from Groupwise into a file then import that file into his Apple client.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about Apple and Groupwise to give you exact steps . Is "Apple" a mail client on a Mac system or is it something web based?

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:58 PM   #6
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
You can't just alias his email account to forward onto a new addy of his choosing?

This.

Generate an email archive out of GroupWise, and then change their account settings to auto-forward to their new email address.

There are various tools to import the GroupWise archive into the mail client of choice.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
There are various tools to import the GroupWise archive into the mail client of choice.

Looks to be what he's keying in on.

I guess we need to know what Groupwise client is installed on your work system(maybe redundant, I don't know Groupwise) and what exactly he means by "go Apple", that can mean web based and there are several non-web Apple clients he could use.

Last edited by jeff061 : 08-03-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:05 PM   #8
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Nice of you to help a guy out, but I'm a little surprised. I would never use a work account for personal emails, and even if I did, I would never think to ask "hey can you export that stuff for me?". Seems pretty odd. Does he store his utility bills and tax receipt information in your filing cabinets as well?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #9
Daimyo
College Starter

I'm not familiar with Novel Groupwise, but we use Exchange and have this issue with students when they graduate.

Once he gets his new Mac he should be able to have it connect to your email system and download all mail, contacts, and calendar events locally (likely via the IMAP protocol, if you support that). He could then use something like MobileMe (from Apple) to get everything sync'ed between his computer and his phone or connect Mac Mail to something like Gmail and copy everything up.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #10
QuikSand
lolzcat

Sorry, I'm just out of my depth here, and am not sure that I have answers to the range of questions.

We are using GroupWise 7.0, and from his notes he intends to migrate to MobileMe so he can use his Mac/iPhone as his main email devices.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:08 PM   #11
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I find it very common, especially with the long timers. Even more so if they are well respected(and thus not paranoid).

Old 08-03-2010, 03:10 PM   #12
QuikSand
lolzcat

And from what I'm reading here, my guy (the source of what I claim to know about this situation) doesn't even have his own facts straight, which makes this pursuit even more hopeless. Seriously, sorry for the wild goose chase.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #13
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, with Exchange(or about any POP/IMAP capable system) I could help you out. I just don't know enough about Groupwise, how it exports and what format it can export to.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:17 PM   #14
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Who manages your Groupwise system, can they give you a hand?

Last edited by jeff061 : 08-03-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:18 PM   #15
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
This might help. It is a walk-through from a college on how to pull your GroupWise mail into Thunderbird for folks who are leaving school. The process should be similar for other mail clients besides Thunderbird.

How-to: Export Your GroupWise When You Leave UNT
Old 08-03-2010, 03:19 PM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'd offer to help but haven't touched Groupwise in close to 15 years, I suspect my recollection & knowledge is a tad out of date
Old 08-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #17
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Who manages your Groupwise system, can they give you a hand?

Thus far, he has offered just a fifth of a hand in this effort. There's a personnel component to this adventure as well, it seems.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #18
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Cartman's post should work for just about any mail client, including Apple ones(I think), as long as IMAP is enabled on Groupwise(which for all I know it may always be).

Last edited by jeff061 : 08-03-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:40 PM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Thus far, he has offered just a fifth of a hand in this effort.

Nice. Subtle.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:42 PM   #20
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Nice. Subtle.

Heh, yeah. What you need to do is support your local consultants (especially you MA folk). If you're already doing that, kick him to the curb and get another.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:50 PM   #21
cartman
Death Herald

Mail migration used to be one of my specialties, so if you hit a wall (or a 2nd 1/5th) QS, lemme know and I'll see what I can do to help out.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #22
QuikSand
lolzcat

Many thanks for your thoughts, that gives me some direction at least.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:15 PM   #23
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Here's what no one seems to be mentioning and perhaps taking it for granted.

Does Mr. Former Employee have a new email account somewhere else? You can export all of the mail files you want, and he can "go Apple" with MobileMe, but he needs an email address and server to receive his future emails. There are basically four things that need to happen here.

1) Setup guy to "go Apple" by getting his Apple mail client to connect to his new email server
2) Setup email forwarding to new email address
3) Export old emails/contacts
4) Import old emails/contacts into Apple mail client

steps 1 and 2 are dependent on him having an email account somewhere else.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #24
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Well that's what everyone is mentioning. Specifically the question is how to do #3 from Groupwise into a format that #4 can recognize.

Last edited by jeff061 : 08-03-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:40 PM   #25
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Not sure what company standards are set at but anywhere I've worked corporate/business email accounts and any email residing in that account belong to the corporation/business...therefore this should be a moot point. Tell him, too bad, so sad but it isn't his email.

Not sure what kind of company you are working for but setting a precedence like this could come back to bite you in the butt. And if you don't have policies regarding this kind of stuff, I'd get on that ASAP.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #26
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Cartman's post should work for just about any mail client, including Apple ones(I think), as long as IMAP is enabled on Groupwise(which for all I know it may always be).

Missed this post when it originally went up, but this quoted part mentioned by jeff061 may be where you have to work with the IT guy ... I don't believe this option is selected by default with GroupWise 7.0.

If that option is in play then cartman's solution should do the trick.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote