Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-15-2018, 08:31 AM   #1051
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Roanoke vs. Emory & Henry - 11/17

Let me start by saying this meet is going to be a laugher. Roanoke is one of the top teams in conference with multiple good swimmers in every stroke. Plus with 19 people on the men's team and an equal number on the women's team, they have a significant depth advantage. E&H will get crushed across the board. I'm not sure yet what events will be contested or what Brett will compete in, but I'll update this thread when I know more.

Last edited by Breeze : 01-11-2019 at 06:49 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:53 AM   #1052
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Roanoke vs. Emory & Henry - RESULTS

Men

Emory & Henry - 45
Roanoke - 213

Notes

- Freshman Mack Henningsen (Abingdon, Va.) led the Wasps with a second-place finish in the 400-meter freestyle (4:55.18) and a third-place finish in the 200-meter freestyle (2:11.41).
- Freshman Blake Madaris (Acworth, Ga.) took third in the 800-meter freestyle with a 10:15.13.
- Freshman Brett Breeze (Cumming, Ga.) was third in the 100-meter breaststroke in 1:19.58 while freshman Tariq Gardner (Richmond, Va.) was third in the 50-meter butterfly (:29.78).

Women

Emory & Henry - 65
Roanoke - 185

Emory & Henry - 107
Hollins - 106*

Notes

- Junior Olivia Anson (Apex, N.C.) went 2:15.16 in the 200-meter freestyle to pick up her fist win and clocked times of :28.12 and 1:03.82 in the 50- and 100-meter freestyle for victories.
- Junior Savannah Scarbrough (Crozet, Va.) posted a runner-up finish in the 100-meter individual medley (1:15.35).
- Freshmen Cat Sweigart (Bridgewater, Va.) and Anne-Louise Tunstall (Mount Airy, N.C.) had third place finishes in the 50-meter backstroke and 100-meter butterfly. Sweigart went :37.95 in the back while Tunstall stopped the watches in 1:13.02 in the fly.

Overview

This was probably Brett's best meet of the season so far.

50 Meter Breast - Brett posted a 36.10, which is faster than the splits he swam earlier in the year when he got rolling starts in relays. So a very nice result. Not really sure why they competed in this event as it isn't present at a championship meet. It could be because the longer the event the wider the spread at the finish given the disparity in talent between the two teams.

100 Meter Breast - Brett dualed one of the Roanoke swimmers for second. He had the lead at the turn but was passed in the back 50. He did post a season best/personal best time in the 100 meter with a 1:19.58, and converted this time is within a tenth of a second of an outright personal best swim.

100 Meter IM - In an amazing outcome, Brett managed to tie teammate Blake at a time of 1:14.55. He was about 1.5 seconds back at the mid point, which isn't a surprise with fly and back as the opening legs. Brett obviously out swam Blake by the same amount on Breast/Free, but honestly, I have to believe Brett actually made up the 1.5 seconds and more in the Breast and then wasn't able to hold off Blake in the Free...because Blake's free is slightly faster than Brett's. But I don't honestly know exactly how that one went down. It would have been a fun one to watch, I wish I had seen it. If I convert this time, it comes out to be around 1:07 and change, which would be a personal best for Brett...

* Hollins only has a women's team

Last edited by Breeze : 01-11-2019 at 06:49 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:00 AM   #1053
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

South Forsyth vs Cambridge @ Cumming Aquatic Center - 11/19

Today is going to be long day at the pool for the twins. They got up early this morning for practice at 5:45. That practice will end with just enough time for them to go eat before they will need to be back at the pool for this meet. Immediately following the completion of the meet, they will get back in the pool for their afternoon practice. The kids were currently scheduled to compete in:

Bailey

200 IM
100 Fly

Bear

200 IM
500 Free

but the coach emailed and stated some changes to the line ups were coming so ultimately, I don't know what they will be in yet...

Last edited by Breeze : 11-19-2018 at 08:00 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:34 AM   #1054
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

South Forsyth vs Cambridge - RESULTS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bailey

200 Medley Relay - A Team - Bailey swam the fly leg in 29.22, which she wasn't happy with, but the team still won the event.

200 IM - Fly was a mediocre 30.06, back was ok at 35.31, the breast was poor 44.81, and the free was also poor at 34.48. In total she added a bunch even to her best high school time - 2:24.36

100 Fly - again she wasn't pleased, but this one wasn't too bad. She posted a 1:04.23, which is better than her typical 1:04 high or 1:05 low at a high school meet. She finished 2nd in this event.

400 Free Relay - C Team - the split listed for Bailey either isn't right, or the kids swim in the wrong order. So no point in posting an incorrect time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bear

200 Medley Relay - A Team - Bear also swam the fly, and his time was a 25.92, which is an ok time, especially under the circumstances. The team finished 2nd, to the best relay team in the county.

200 IM - 27.66 fly, is ok, 34.98 back is off by a couple to 3 seconds, the breast at 41.35 is also a bit slow, but the free finish in 29.,03 is WAY off...I wasn't there to watch, so he may have cruised home knowing he couldn't improve his position. I certainly hope so, because that split is several seconds off of where it is when he is right - 2:13.02

500 Free - 5:06.97, his opening split was the only one sub 60. When he's on, they are all sub60.

400 Free Relay - A Team - opened the relay with pretty solid 52.46, the second fastest split in the relay even with the cold start.

Last edited by Breeze : 11-20-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:40 AM   #1055
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Emory & Henry - Brett Update

Brett will be coming home for the Thanksgiving break today, and I can't wait to see him and spend some time with him. Hopefully, we'll be able to get him to have a conversation about his experiences. Up until now, when we've seen him we've only gotten small pieces of what's going on. It'll also be interesting to see how seriously he takes his swimming. If he tries to stay in the pool, it'll be a good sign about his dedication. If he doesn't he likely will regress and will likely regress again during the Christmas break, which ultimately will mean he will probably be a non-factor at ODACs.

Last edited by Breeze : 11-20-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:11 AM   #1056
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Gold Swimming - General Update

Coach Andy announced at Monday nights practice that he is resigning as head coach of the Gold's Cumming facility and taking an assistant coaching position with Emory University. This is a huge step for Andy, as he will be an assistant on a perennial powerhouse program and the women's defending D3 national championship team. The head coach at Emory was a teammate of his at Kenyon University (during their stretch of 30 straight national championships), and he had an opening this season.

I believe Andy's plan is to stay an assistant at Emory for the next few years which will allow both of his kids to complete high school, at which point he will probably start looking for his own head coaching opportunity.

Last edited by Breeze : 11-21-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:52 AM   #1057
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Emory & Henry @ Washington & Lee Invite

The mid-season event for E&H will see them compete against the ODAC Dynasty (20) Washington & Lee, York (PA), and Messiah. This will be the last swim before the long break between semesters. E&H will be severely outmatched by Washington & Lee and York. Plus Messiah is a deeper and better team as well, but not so overwhelmingly so. Just hoping for some good swims to carry into the break.

I don't know what Brett is swimming in this meet, but it is a 2 day event, so he could swim up to 6 events and may find himself in some new races.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:14 AM   #1058
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Emory & Henry @ Washington & Lee Invite - RESULTS

Note: as it turns out there were a couple of extra teams not noted in the preview that competed at this event...Randolph College and Virginia Wesleyan.

Women

TEAM PLACE – 4th/6

Notes:
- The Wasps got the meet off to a start with a sixth-place finish in the 200-yard freestyle relay. Freshman Anne-Louise Tunstall (Mount Airy, N.C.), junior Savannah Scarbrough (Crozet, Va.), freshman Cat Sweigart (Bridgewater, Va.) and junior Olivia Anson (Apex, N.C.) clocked a 1:45.86 in the event.
- Sweigart posted a time of 5:56.81 in the 500-yard freestyle to finish 11th while Tunstall was 11th in the 200-yard individual medley (2:19.93).
- Anson got her individual events started with a swim of :24.82 in the 50-yard freestyle, finishing sixth. She won the 200-yard freestyle in 1:55.40, just .95 seconds off the E&H record and was fourth in the 100-yard freestyle (:54.06.).
- In the 400-yard medley relay, the Wasps swam a 4:18.86 to take sixth and were seventh in the 200-yard medley relay (2:01.14).
- Tunstall finished eighth in the 100-yard butterfly, stopping the watches in 1:03.37 while Sweigart and Scarbrough were fifth (1:09.50) and seventh (1:11.99) in the 100-yard breaststroke.
- In the 100-yard backstroke, junior Taylor Simmons (Fincastle, Va.) was ninth with a time of 1:12.75.
- Sweigart was fourth in the 200-yard breaststroke at 2:35.83 while Scarbrough swam a 2:41.26 to finish seventh.
- The 400-yard freestyle relay saw the Wasps take seventh in 3:56.53.

Men

TEAM PLACE – 5th/6

Notes
- The Wasps started things off with a record-breaking swim in the 200-yard freestyle relay on the efforts of freshman Tariq Gardner (Richmond, Va.), freshman Mack Henningsen (Abingdon, Va.), junior Nick Barr (Chilhowie, Va.) and freshman Braxton Justice (Spanishburg, W.Va.) to go 1:38.00.
- Justice posted three new school records on the weekend. He went :23.11 in the 50-yard freestyle, a 1:05.28 in the 100-yard breaststroke and clocked a :51.41 in the 100-yard freestyle.
- In the 400-yard medley relay, the team of freshman Blake Madaris (Acworth, Ga.), Justice, Henningsen, and Gardner went 4:01.61 for a new E&H record.
- Madaris, freshman Brett Breeze (Cumming, Ga.), Gardner and Barr stopped the watches in 1:54.16 to claim a new school best in the 200-yard medley relay.
- The 800-yard freestyle relay saw a pair of records fall. Henningsen's leadoff leg of 1:56.12 was good for a new 200-yard freestyle record as he teamed up with Justice, Breeze and Madaris for a swim of 8:04.28.
- Breeze notched a record in the 200-yard breaststroke of 2:31.48 while Henningsen went 2:15.65 in the 200-yard butterfly for a new best.
- E&H closed out the weekend with a 3:35.55 in the 400-yard freestyle relay. Gardner, Henningsen, Madaris and Justice combined for the new best time.

Overview

200 Free Relay - An ok split of 26.65. His personal best is a 26.06, so with a rolling start I'd like to see him closer to that PB time, but his freestyle still isn't right, and he's continuing to try and clean it up.

500 Free - as I mentioned is Freestyle is a work in progress, but it is getting better, as he posted a 6:00.37 time. That's far from his personal best of 5:39, but it's also miles better than the 6:30 he swam last time out.

200 Medley Relay - Brett's split in the breast was a 31.88, which is faster than he's ever gone in a 50 breast...even in all of his previous breast splits in relays.

100 Breast - after his good split in the relay I was eager to see what he might do here. He opened with a 31.97...so right on his relay split...in fact without a rolling start this was almost certainly a faster swim with another 50 to go...he came home in a 36.78, which shows he's starting to round into better shape as his back half was much better. He posted a 1:08.75 for a new personal best swim...and an improvement of close to 3 seconds! He was extremely pumped after this one!

800 Free Relay - Brett swam a 2:08.21 split. Personal best is around a 2:05...so back to needed to clean up the freestyle...but it wasn't a terrible time.

200 Breast - After the strong 100, I was hoping for a big drop in this one, as the 200 is the better race for Brett. But he really took it out way to fast opening with a 32.32, the second 50 was fine with a 37.73, but then he started to fall off, and he appeared to tire so much that his turns slowed way down and his pullouts were truncated, which is a killer in this race. He finished in 2:31.48, another personal best and another 3 second drop, and while he was happy with the improvement, I got the feeling from the way he worded his texts to me, he was a bit disappointed that he didn't do better...
Old 12-05-2018, 11:21 AM   #1059
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Georgia Senior Short Course State Championships @ GaTech - 9/7 - 9/9

Bailey - she's been swimming better coming into state than she has in a while, and while she still has some back pain, it isn't at the level it's been over the last few years. I believe she's in a decent position to have some good swims this time around, and I'm really praying she does. She's worked really hard for basically the last 4 years with very little improvement. She has a tendency to stress herself out at the big meets (I think her desire to do good after years of struggling has a lot to do with that), hopefully she'll enter this meet with some confidence. I've urged her to consider doing a time trial or two in order to try and improve some times in events where she doesn't have state cuts, because she rarely gets to swim events tapered. So far she is resisting, if she ends up swimming any, I'll add those times to the results post.

# 3 (d1/s1): W Open 100 Medley (1:06.03Y)
# 9 (d1/s1): W Open 100 Fly (1:01.09Y)
# 17 (d2/s4): W Open 200 Fly (2:14.91Y)
# 35 (d3/s7): W Open 200 Medley (2:16.63Y)

Bear - he has been working extremely hard heading into this meet but unlike last year when we saw glimpses of his improvement with some PB swims in high school and some small drops leading up to this event, this year he's been off by a decent amount. Hopefully, the taper will allow him to perform at peak level. He really needs a good swim here to help with his recruiting. Bear has cuts in three additional events (100 & 200 IMs, and 1000 Free) that he isn't swimming this time around.

# 8 (d1/s1): M Open 200 Free (1:45.91Y)
# 12 (d1/s2): M Open 400 Medley (4:11.59Y)
# 18 (d2/s4): M Open 200 Fly (1:57.01Y)
# 26 (d2/s5): M Open 500 Free (4:41.77Y)
# 38 (d3/s8): X Open 1650 Free (16:47.81Y)

Last edited by Breeze : 12-10-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:50 PM   #1060
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Georgia Senior Short Course State Championships - RESULTS

Bailey

# 3 (d1/s1): W Open 100 Medley (1:06.03Y) - This is an event that Bailey doesn't get to swim very often. She swam it 4 times this year, but before that we go all the way back to when she was 12. Coming in it felt like the lack of opportunity to swim this race might mean there was some time to be had. She opened with a fly leg that looked strong and the time was solid, the back was ok, the breast was much, much better than I expected and a spirited free to the wall resulted in a 1:03.89, a personal best and a drop of 2.14 seconds...a great way to start the meet.

# 9 (d1/s1): W Open 100 Fly (1:01.09Y) - The time in this race has only dropped during taper swims at the event. All other 100 fly swims have been adds of 2 to 7 seconds. As a 13 year old her best was a 1:01.62. Then at 14 years old Bailey went 1:01.25, as a 15 year old she nudged it down to 1:01.09, this year she dropped it to a 1:00.21 for a personal best and a drop of close to a full second. This put her only .22 from the sectional cut.

# 17 (d2/s4): W Open 200 Fly (2:14.91Y) - After her strong 100 fly, we were optimistic about this race. We were hopeful not only for a time drop, but maybe a sectional cut (2:11.59). Her real personal best is a 2:13.79, from when she was 13. It doesn't show in the seed time because it was so old it was no longer viable for her. She opened with a 29.22, which is better than her typical 30+ second opening. The second split was a strong 33.02, followed by a 34.47, which put her in great shape heading into the final 50, unfortunately, she really hit a wall. It was obvious several of her strokes were slipping through the water as she was spinning her wheels a bit, but she fought home in 36.21 and posted a personal best time of 2:12.92. This was a huge drop from her seed time and a nice drop from her real personal best too. It was also good enough to bring her back for finals, as she moved up to 36th place with this swim.

# 17 W Open 200 Fly Final (2:12.92Y) - In finals, Bailey's goal was to get the sectional cut, which means she needed to drop about 1.3 more seconds. She opened with a 29.24, almost identical to the morning. Then posted a 33.05, also almost identical to the morning swim. In the 3rd 50 she made a bit of a move posting a 33.89 split, which was about a .7 improvement. Then in the final 50 she stayed strong and kept the stroke longer and finished in 34.88 a time really close to her 3rd split from the morning and a huge improvement posting a time of 2:11.06, and getting the sectional cut and a promotion to Gold's National Team! She also managed to beat 3 swimmers in the heat that came in with faster times from prelims, climbing to 33rd overall.

# 35 (d3/s7): W Open 200 Medley (2:16.63Y) - After 4 big swims, the hope for a clean sweep was high. Bailey swam her fly within .01 of the time posted during the fly leg of her personal best swim, the backstroke however was off over a full second. The breast, like the 100 was again much better than expected, over 3 seconds better than her usual split and almost a full second better than her split in this leg during her personal best swim. The free was a solid 31.75, but the total came to 2:16.84, and she came up just short of a best time.

# 9 W Open 100 Fly - Time Trial (1:00.21Y) - Given how close she was to the sectional time, and given how well she swam the 200 the night before, Bailey tried to get the cut in a time trial. She opened .03 off her opening on Friday, but she wasn't able to build on the back half and ended up adding a little, most of it was on a short arm finish - 1:00.72. Disappointing, but probably an indication of fatigue. The last day is hard and with Bailey being 5' 2" and change, it can really take a toll. The good news is, she was close to the PB time again, so it reinforces the fact that she's improved significantly this season.

Bear

# 8 (d1/s1): M Open 200 Free (1:45.91Y) - Bear was really excited about this swim coming in. He was just over a second away from an NCSA cut here, and he trained hard this season, hoping to reach that time in this race. Unfortunately, it was obvious early, when he fell off the pace of the heat that he wasn't going to get the cut. He did manage to finish in 1:46.69, so he only added around .7 seconds, but it was a huge disappointment and blow to Bear.

# 12 (d1/s2): M Open 400 Medley (4:11.59Y) - This is a race I didn't have any confidence in, as Bear has really struggled in this one because of problems in his backstroke and continued on/off aspect of his breaststroke. As expected this one was no pretty, with the backstroke really being the major problem as the breast was very respectable, but unfortunately he ended up posting a time of 4:23.68. Much better than the 4:30 times he'd been swimming recently, but no where near where he needs to be.

# 18 (d2/s4): M Open 200 Fly (1:57.01Y) - After two underwhelming swims on Friday, Bear was a bit bummed headed into this one. There was some hope that his Fly would be strong, but his swims leading into this event were well over 2 minutes, so it was probably wishful thinking. He swam pretty well, but again added about .7 seconds finishing in a time of 1:57.88. A decent swim, not where he wanted it, but good enough to make finals.

# 26 (d2/s5): M Open 500 Free (4:41.77Y) - It was obvious pretty early that this wasn't going to be Bear's best swim, as he pretty quickly feel into 58 high splits...he finished with a time of 4:47.92, again not where he wanted to be, but again good enough to make finals.

# 18 M Open 200 Fly Final - (1:57.88Y) - after the tough double from the morning Bear was looking at duplicating that double in the evening. It started off rough with this swim. He added a couple more seconds from the morning to finish at 1:59.78

# 26 M Open 500 Free Final (4:47.92Y) - the 500 started out much better than the morning. He actually had his splits a couple of seconds better at about the mid-point of the race. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to maintain that spread and he ended up finishing with a slight improvement from the morning but again no where close to his personal best - 4:47.25.

# 38 (d3/s8): X Open 1650 Free (16:47.81Y) - This was Bear's last chance at an improvement, and while he really hadn't given any indication that he was swimming well enough to drop time, especially given that he didn't drop in the 500s, this was an event that seemed to have some room to improve. The last two times Bear swam the 1650 he had pneumonia and he had the poor taper after trying to rush recovery from the flu. So I held out hope that he might be able to do something in this race. In addition, he came into this one seeded 4th, and I felt like he might be able to earn a medal with a good swim. The race started, Bear dove in...AND...his goggles rolled down his face and stopped over his mouth. He's got 66 laps to go, and his goggles are a problem. I was completely heartbroken at this point so much so I felt nauseous.

On the first wall Bear did an open turn so he could adjust his goggles. He got them in place, but they were extremely twisted so when he pushed off the wall they rolled back down. Making matters worse, he was way behind the other swimmers that flipped on the first wall. At the second wall, Bear flipped and while laying on his back underwater with his feet on the wall, he adjusted his goggles, got them in place, then finally pushed off. At this point Bear was about 7 seconds behind the leaders, and he still couldn't see because the goggles were filled with water. He managed to make it through the 3rd wall without being able to completely tell were the wall was, and before flipping on the 4th wall he quickly drained the goggle on his right eye. Now, he still has 62 laps to go, he has 1 eye clear and he's behind the entire field by well over half a lap. He was facing a long and depressing swim, but he didn't quit and he didn't panic and try to immediately catch up, rather he dropped into his pacing and started churning laps. In fact, he was churning laps at a 1:00 pace, and despite all the fidgeting with his goggles he managed to go 1:00 splits early in the race as well.

At the 400 yard mark, Bear passed one of his competitors and was no longer in last. At the 500 yard mark he passed 2 more competitors. At the 600 yard mark he jumped another spot and at the 800 yard mark he moved into 4th place, but while he had cut into the 3rd place swimmer's 11 second lead, he was still 7 seconds behind with half of the race gone. He continued to post strong splits and he kept slowly reeling in his competitor. At the bell lap, Bear out-touched the guy he had been stalking by .05, then he swam the last 50 almost 2 seconds faster and...HE FINISHED 3RD with a personal best time of 16:37.04 - an improvement of almost 11 seconds! What an incredible effort that was...it was truly one of the most impressive things I've ever personally witnessed in sports. This is something that I will never forget.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:07 AM   #1061
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Wow. A performance that had to leave you all ... goggle-eyed

Great story, great job Bear.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:36 AM   #1062
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

South Forsyth - Toys for Tots Invite @ Daniel Recreation Center, LaGrange, GA - 12/14

Bailey and Bear will both be swimming in this meet. Bailey is hoping getting to swim close to taper will allow her to post a time much closer to her personal best, which if she can accomplish it, will ensure her of a top 4 swim for South and a spot in the state meet.

I'm not sure yet which events they will be swimming.

Last edited by Breeze : 12-12-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:27 AM   #1063
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Max Planck's Quantum Invite @ Cumming Aquatic Center - 12/14 - 12/16

This meet is really designed to allow non-State meet qualifiers a chance to get a mid-season taper swim in. Bailey and Bear are going to compete in this one, Bailey is hoping to extend her taper to make a run at her back cuts. Bear originally thought about extending his taper, but mentioned last night that he decided to just focus on the end of year meet at Sectionals and has already ramped up his training again (obviously, this also goes for the high school meet noted above).

Bailey

# 15 (d2/s2): G 15 & Over 100 Back (1:03.88Y)
# 67 (d3/s4): G 15 & Over 200 Back (2:15.42Y)

Bear - If Bear somehow swims well on Friday at the high school meet and on Saturday here, he may work the 200 free in and try to get his NCSA cut.

# 12 (d2/s2): B 15 & Over 100 Free (51.04Y)
# 76 (d3/s4): B 15 & Over 100 Fly (56.40Y)
# 80 (d3/s4): B 15 & Over 100 Medley (1:00.37Y) - Bear mentioned he might just drop this one given his struggles with backstroke right now.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:31 AM   #1064
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

South Forsyth - Toys for Tots Invite - RESULTS

Bailey - The whole reason for Bailey swimming this meet was so she could do the 100 fly while at least semi-tapered, but for some strange reason she didn't swim the fly at all. The team didn't get home from this meet until well after midnight, and each of the swimmers only competed in 1 event, rather than the normal 2. The new coach for South has done a nice job of making the season fun, but she is a nightmare when it comes to organization, and errors like these are only a small part of the issue.

Girls 200 Yard Medley Relay - B Team - - Bailey swam the fly leg in a strong 28.75 split. The relay team finished 4th overall, the top B team in the meet, and better than 11 other A teams.

Girls 100 Yard Free - This was such a waste of time. Bailey isn't going to be a factor in the 100 Free at 5' 2"+, even tapered I don't think she'd be able to touch the state cut in this event. There are just to many girls that are sprint free swimmers. She did manage to go 1:00.17, which is far from a personal best, but it appears that it is a high school best.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bear

Boys 200 Yard Medley Relay - B Team - Bear swam on the B medley relay in the fly leg, which is absurd. Bear should be on the Free leg of the A relay, and the guy swimming the Free leg should be on the back. Bear posted a pedestrian 26 second split. The team finished 5th and was the top B team in the meet.

Boys 200 Yard Free - Bear posted a 1:51.55, which is pretty good for a non-tapered meet. In fact, it is only about 1 second off his high school best time, which comes from the state meet last year, which was a drop taper event.

Boys 200 Yard Free Relay - A Team - Bear posted the fastest split in the relay with a 23.43. The team finished 2nd, about 2 seconds behind the winners.

Boys 400 Yard Free Relay - A Team - Bear had by far the fastest split here with a 51.39 to open the race. That's only .35 off of his personal best (which is a bit misleading because he never swims this event tapered). By the end of that opening 100, Bear had given the team a 6+ second lead on the second place team. The rest of the relay was able to cruise home for the event win.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:40 PM   #1065
thealmighty
Pro Starter

How tall is Bear now? Growth prospects, if any, moving forward?

(My dad was 6'2'' and I was 5'4'' going into summer when I was 16. Thought I was screwed by genetic gods. By the time school started, I had grown almost 7''.)
Old 12-19-2018, 06:38 AM   #1066
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty View Post
How tall is Bear now? Growth prospects, if any, moving forward?

(My dad was 6'2'' and I was 5'4'' going into summer when I was 16. Thought I was screwed by genetic gods. By the time school started, I had grown almost 7''.)

Bear is sitting right at 5' 8". As for his prospects for additional growth - his hands and feet have been much bigger than both Brett's and mine, and I always hoped that was a sign that he might "grown into them", so I'm still holding out a bit of hope. Plus Brett grew in his junior and senior years, as well as a little this year. Also, we have other family members that were late to finish growing, so maybe he can get a little taller. However, I think 5' 10" is probably going to be a best case scenario (and one at this point I think he'd be extremely happy with).

It's a little unfortunate, his shorter stature definitely hurts on the recruiting trail.

Last edited by Breeze : 12-20-2018 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:49 AM   #1067
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Max Planck's Quantum Invite - RESULTS

Because the high school meet on Friday night ran so late, and the kids didn't get in bed until 1 o'clock or so, they decided to skip the Saturday portion of the meet.

Bailey

# 67 (d3/s4): G 15 & Over 200 Back (2:15.42Y) - ended up swimming a 2:16.06, only a half second off her personal best with an extended taper, this isn't a bad results at all, and indicates that during the season ending swim in March, she could be looking at a time drop.

Bear

# 76 (d3/s4): B 15 & Over 100 Fly (56.40Y) - managed a 56.46, only a fraction off of his personal best - which was stunning given he immediately started ramping up his workouts early in the week.

# 80 (d3/s4): B 15 & Over 100 Medley (1:00.37Y) - after his strong fly, there was a decent chance he could improve here and he did - he dropped a second to finish in 59.34.

Last edited by Breeze : 12-20-2018 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:49 AM   #1068
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

South Forsyth vs Cambridge & Milton @ Cumming Aquatic Center - 12/21

I was waiting to post this until I had exact information around what events and relays the kids were going to swim, but we just received a text from the coach stating that there are a lot of sick kids and the meet is going to run late, so she's going to shuffle some things and take some swims away so things can run on time. Which means, the kid's events may change so what I have might become irrelevant anyway...as I mentioned above - it's always something with the new coach...

Bailey - has missed several practices recently due to studying for exams and a sore throat/ear ache, so coming out of a taper and missing practice, I expect she's going to struggle for a while until she rounds back into shape.

Girls 100 Fly
Girls 200 IM
Girls 200 Medley Relay
Girls 200 Free Relay

Bear - this meet will start right after practice, but I'll be interested to see if he can approach his best times like he's been doing recently.

Boys 200 Free
Boys 500 Free
Boys 200 Medley Relay
Boys 200 Free Relay

Last edited by Breeze : 12-21-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:54 AM   #1069
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

South Forsyth vs Cambridge & Milton - RESULTS

Bailey

Girls 100 Fly - posted a 1:04.25...which is really good considering she was coming off of an extended taper and she missed a few practices when she was under the weather.

Girls 200 IM - posted a 2:23.82...off of her high school best by about 4 seconds, but not too far off from a typical high school meet.

Girls 200 Medley Relay- B team - for some reason she swam the backstroke leg...and she posed a 30.71...not great but not terrible. The team was the top B team in the meet.

Bear

Boys 200 Free - Went 1:53.98, and won the event by 2.4 seconds...so there was some coasting in at the end.

Boys 500 Free- Got under 5 minutes at 4:59.77, and won the event by 9 seconds...he admitted there was A LOT of costing that took place in this race.

Boys 200 Medley Relay - team won the event, but I don't have Bear's split in the freestyle leg as the team results aren't split out by swimmer.

Boys 200 Free Relay - The team won the event, I'm not sure which leg Bear swam, so I don't know what split is his...
Old 01-02-2019, 11:22 AM   #1070
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Emory & Henry - Winter Training Trip

Brett left yesterday (1/1) to head back to E&H with teammate Blake. They got back to campus around 5 PM, and then they had to get up early to hit the road at 2 AM for their winter training. They will be heading down to Largo, Florida. I'm not sure what facilities they will be using, but they will be swimming, lifting, and more over the next week, before heading back north to school.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:17 PM   #1071
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Emory & Henry - Winter Training Trip

I still haven't heard from Brett, but I do know the team appears to be staying in a condo on Indian Shores Beach. They also appear to be training at a Seminole County pool.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:39 AM   #1072
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Bailey - General Update

On New Year's Eve, Bailey went to a party at a friends house. During that party there were a group of guys that started playing "basketball" in the basement. Bailey wasn't aware of this, and when she walked into the basement, she ended up walking out right in front of a guy who was jumping and she got elbowed in the head, but worse, she was knocked into the wall as well. She came home the next day complaining of a headache. The next day she went to practice, but when she got home that night her headache was back. The headache lingered so we took her to the doctor and she had a concussion. Because of this, she's been out of the pool (with the exception of the 1 practice she went to right after banging her head), since the 31st. She will return for a limited practice today. Fingers crossed.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:00 AM   #1073
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Bailey - General Update

Bailey's plan to swim on the 8th didn't come to pass. The wife suggested that she had upped her interactions significantly by going to school the whole day, and swimming on top of that would be too much. It's a good thing that she didn't swim, as she woke up on the 9th with a bad headache, and the doctor stated that she had overdone by staying at school all day. So we've rolled back her treatment a couple of phases and we will slowly progress forward again and hope for no more setbacks.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:44 AM   #1074
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Emory & Henry Tri Meet @ King University - 1/11

E&H will match up against King University and Mars Hill University today. Both of the teams E&H will swim against are Division 2, so their swimmers are on scholarship. They are also both better than E&H, so I don't expect much from a score perspective, but I'm hopeful, that the Winter training helped get Brett is better shape and maybe we will see something that will indicate the potential for a strong ODAC championship meet.

The wife and I are heading up this weekend, so I should be able to provide some first hand accounts.

Last edited by Breeze : 01-11-2019 at 07:11 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:48 AM   #1075
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Lees-McRae vs. Emory & Henry - 1/12

Lees-McRae visits E&H on Saturday. This team, like E&H is relatively new, but they are surrounded by good swimmers in the very deep swim state of North Carolina, and they have put together a good team quickly. Like E&H, I'm not sure how much depth they have, but because both teams suffer from the same issue, I expect Lees-McRae will win.

Again, the wife and I will be present for this one. Really looking forward to seeing Brett swim 2 meets in 2 days.

Last edited by Breeze : 01-11-2019 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:45 AM   #1076
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Emory & Henry Tri Meet @ King University - RESULTS

Women

Emory & Henry - 63
King University - 105

Emory & Henry - 49
Mars Hill - 141

Notes

- Junior Olivia Anson (Apex, N.C.) won a pair of individual events to lead the way. She stopped the watches in 2:00.48 in the 200-yard freestyle and went :55.13 in the 100-yard freestyle.
- Freshman Cat Sweigart (Bridgewater, Va.) took second in the 100-yard breaststroke (1:13.60) by .16 seconds and was third in the 200-yard individual medley at 2:30.84.
- Junior Savannah Scarbrough (Crozet, Va.) notched fourth-place finishes in the 100-yard butterfly (1:08.59) and the 100-yard breaststroke (1:15.19).
- The relay of freshman Anne-Louise Tunstall (Mount Airy, N.C.), Sweigart, junior Taylor Simmons (Fincastle, Va.) and Anson finished as the runner-up for the 400-yard freestyle relay in 4:03.90.
- E&H took third in the 200-yard medley relay (2:07.27) on the efforts of Simmons, freshman Leah Mumpower (Bristol, Va.), Tunstall and Scarbrough.

Men

Emory & Henry - 52
King University - 130

Emory & Henry - 44
King University - 137

Notes

- Freshman Mack Henningsen (Abingdon, Va.) led the Wasps with a record-breaking swim in the 200-yard freestyle of 1:55.59. He finished fourth overall in the event.
- Freshman Tariq Gardner (Richmond, Va.) was third in the 50-yard freestyle (:23.48) while freshman Braxton Justice (Spanishburg, W.Va.) took third in the 100-yard freestyle at :53.03.
- The relay of freshman Blake Madaris (Acworth, Ga.), freshman Brett Breeze (Cumming, Ga.), freshman Nick Moore (Lebanon, Va.) and junior Jarod Bracero (Union City, N.J.) was third in the 200-yard medley relay.
- In the 400-yard freestyle relay, Gardner, Henningsen, junior Nick Barr (Chilhowie, Va.) and Justice went 3:49.23 to finish third.

Overview

With the kids coming out of extremely hard training in Florida, the times for all the swimmers were well off their personal bests. Brett did manage to swim a 6 minute 500 Free, which is far from where he should be (he swam 5:40s in high school meets as a freshman and sophomore), but it is better than he swam earlier in the season. He also went a 1:11.06 in the breaststroke - immediately after swimming the 500 free. This is the 3rd fastest he's ever gone in the 100 breast, only beaten by his personal best swim earlier in the season at the Washington and Lee Invite, and by his opening 100 in the 200 breast at the same meet.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:31 AM   #1077
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Lees-McRae vs. Emory & Henry - RESULTS

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Women

Emory & Henry - 81
Lees-McRae - 43

Notes

- The Wasps earned seven event wins and posted a pair of second-place relay finishes on their way to the win.
- Junior Taylor Simmons (Fincastle, Va.) started the day off with a victory in the 200-meter freestyle (2:42.35) while freshman Cat Sweigart (Bridgewater, Va.) won the 200-meter individual medley in 2:53.64.
- Freshman Anne-Louise Tunstall (Mount Airy, N.C.) won the 50-meter freestyle in :30.68 and the 100-meter butterfly (1:13.63) while junior Savannah Scarbrough (Crozet, Va.) went 1:09.57 in the 100-meter freestyle.
- Junior Olivia Anson (Apex, N.C.) took first in the 400-meter freestyle, stopping the watches in 4:52.34.

Men

Emory & Henry - 61
Lees-McRae - 100

Notes

- Emory & Henry got seven second-place finishes on the day led by freshman Braxton Justice (Spanishburg, W.Va.) in the 100-meter freestyle (1:04.31) and the 100-meter backstroke (1:16.13).
- Freshman Brett Breeze (Cumming, Ga.) was the runner-up in the 200-meter individual medley at 2:47.79 and the 100-meter breaststroke (1:22.63).
- Freshman Mack Henningsen (Abingdon, Va.) earned second-place finishes in the 200-meter freestyle and 100-meter butterfly at 2:17.39 and 1:09.59, respectively.

Overview

Brett didn't do as well in this meet as he did the night before. His split in the medley relay wasn't as good, and his 100 breast swim was several seconds off his best meters time, which translates to around a 1:14 in yards. He did pretty well in the 200 IM. He out split Nick Moore in the opening 50 fly leg, and Nick swims fly regularly. The overall time wasn't a personal best for Brett as he swam about 3 seconds faster earlier in the season, but given the times everyone was posting, this is right in line and I believe shows he has some upside in this event.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:43 AM   #1078
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

South Forsyth - County Championship @ Cumming Aquatic Center - 1/19

The high school county championship is this weekend, and this already long meet, that allows all the high schools to recognize their seniors, just got much longer as they've reconfigured this event to be a prelim/final format. Meaning kids will compete as normal in the afternoon, then return in the evening to swim finals. It's definitely going to be a long day.

To complicate things in this meet, the year round swimmers from SwimAtlanta are going to drop taper for this meet, which will heavily skew results, whereas Gold is still planning to have practice that morning, so Bear and Bailey will suffer from that arrangement as well.

The South coach has done weird things all season with the lineups, especially the relays. The kids believe it is her attempt to get as many kids qualified for the state meet as possible. Unfortunately, it also serves to hurt the team overall. In this meet, the girls have a legitimate chance of winning county especially with their depth, but the relays are put together very poorly and it could cost them in the end. On the boys side, the team has almost no depth so she's loaded up her relays to try and maximize points, but given the teams, I don't think this strategy will have a major impact.

Bailey - as I mentioned a few posts back, Bailey has been recovering from a concussion, and she's still not fully back. She's going to be severely out of shape for this one and it will unquestionably impact her results.

#2 Girls 200 Yard Medley Relay - D Team - with Bailey's concussion, she probably doesn't need to be counted on for one of the top relays, but looking at the names in the top 3, I can tell there are probably going to be cases where the lower teams have swimmers out-split the A team. Bailey is in the fly leg.

#6 Girls 200 Yard IM (2:19.23) - Bailey comes in seeded 10th, but she likely will finish lower than that, and I don't expect she will make finals. The 2:19 time is a high school best not a personal best, but I don't expect her to better the seed time.

#12 Girls 100 Yard Butterfly (1:02.40) - Bailey is seeded 7th with her high school best time of 1:02. Her personal best is a 1:00...which would put her 4th, but again she probably won't touch these times, I expect a 1:05 or 1:06.

#24 Girls 400 Yard Free Relay - D Team - Same situation as the medley relay...

Bear - you will notice Bear is only in 1 individual event and 3 relays. This is part of the aforementioned chance to maximize points by loading up the relays.

#1 Boys 200 Yard Medley Relay - A Team - Bear has the free leg, Jake on fly and Riley on back...I'm not sure she has the guys swimming the correct legs, I'm not sure Jake shouldn't be on back and Riley on Free, Bear on Fly...but regardless they are seeded 4th, and I don't believe even if everyone of the guys swims their best they will have a shot at 3rd. They also should have 4th pretty locked up. The coach actually could have worked in a couple of other swimmers here and not had any adverse impact on the teams finish and score.

#15 Boys 500 Yard Freestyle (4:51.40) - - Bear is seeded 3rd here behind teammate Jake and a year rounder from Dynamo Daniel. Coming out of practice, I don't think Bear will beat his seed time, but given it's pretty far off his personal best, he might finish in the neighborhood

#17 Boys 200 Yard Freestyle Relay - A Team - Riley and Jake join Bear again in this relay. It's a tough turnaround from the 500 for Jake and Bear. They are seeded 3rd, but I don't think they can touch 2nd...but unlike the medley, they might all be needed to hold on to 3rd.

#23 Boys 400 Yard Freestyle Relay - A Team - Riley and Jake join Bear for the 3rd time on a relay and again they are seeded 3rd, and they won't even come close to 2nd place, as the top 2 teams are absolutely loaded. They also have a pretty big lead on 4th, so again the coach probably could have substituted another swimmer here and given one of the guys a second individual event to swim with no adverse impact to the team score.

Last edited by Breeze : 01-22-2019 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:35 AM   #1079
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Emory & Henry vs. Sweet Briar, Hollins, & Hampden-Sydney @ Sweet Briar - 1/20

I thought I did a write up on this one already, but I don't see it, so I guess I just dreamed it. Anyway, Hollins and Sweet Briar are both all girls schools and Hampden-Sydney is an all boys school, and all 4 teams are scheduled to meet up on 1/20 at Sweet Briar for this meet. The E&H girls will almost certainly beat both of their opponents, as Sweet Briar and Hollins are pretty weak. The boys however, are going to struggle, as Hampden-Sydney finished 3rd at ODACs last year.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:39 AM   #1080
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

South Forsyth - County Championship - PRELIM RESULTS

Bailey

#2 Girls 200 Yard Medley Relay - D Team - Bailey's D relay managed to finish 10th overall in the prelims. There are 7 teams competing but Bailey's supposed 4th best relay from South was good enough to get top 10...this does 2 things - it illustrates South's depth and also the coach's lack of attention to detail - as some of the D swimmers out swam teammates in the higher rated relays. Bailey's split was a 29 low, which is good, right on her normal high school meet split.

#6 Girls 200 Yard IM (2:19.23) - The seed time here is from her state meet last year, where she swam with a drop taper, meaning it would be difficult for her to meet this time when she was 100% healthy...so coming off the concussion her 2:23.32 was very strong. It is about a full second faster than her typical high school swims. It was obvious that she was tiring during the free leg, but a gallant effort, and good enough to finish 10th and make the A final for the evening session.

#12 Girls 100 Yard Butterfly (1:02.40) - Again, Bailey's typical high school swim is a 1:04 mid to a 1:04 high in this event...but somehow she managed to go a 1:03.85. Like the 200 IM, her personal best is from a drop taper at State in 2018, so this was again a strong swim and also good enough for 10th in the prelims and an A final appearance during the evening session.

#24 Girls 400 Yard Free Relay - D Team - this time Bailey's relay team finished 11th overall...she lead off the relay with a 1:00.04, slightly better than a normal high school split for her...and surprisingly good enough to outpace 3 of the 4 girls on the B relay team. (this event was a timed final, so Bailey didn't have to race it again during the evening final)

Bear -

#1 Boys 200 Yard Medley Relay - A Team - Finished 6th in prelims...a full 3 seconds ahead of 7th, and the meet only allows the top team from each school to make finals in this event, so there was absolutely no reason to keep her 3 best swimmers in all relays. Bear split a 23.5 on the relay with a conservative start and a coast finish.

#15 Boys 500 Yard Freestyle (4:51.40) - - Bear was very disappointed in this swim. Jake his teammate disconnected from his early and he also lost connection to Daniel at about the midway point. He was hoping for a better result. He finished in 4:58.77, but he backed off a bit in the last 25 because he had 3rd sewed up, and he wasn't going to have a best time so no reason to drive all the way to the wall. (This event was a timed final, so Bear didn't have to swim this again at the evening finals session)

#17 Boys 200 Yard Freestyle Relay - A Team - tough turn around from the 500 for Bear and Jake, but Bear managed a 23.32 with a conservative start, and the team finished 3rd heading into finals.

#23 Boys 400 Yard Freestyle Relay - A Team - Bear had yet another conservative start...so conservative that it skewed his split...it shows him swimming a 51.3, but his split from take off to finish was probably closer to a 50.3. The team finished 3rd. (this was a timed final, so Bear didn't race this again during the evening session).
Old 01-23-2019, 01:44 PM   #1081
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

South Forsyth - County Championship - FINALS RESULTS

Bailey

#2 Girls 200 Yard Medley Relay - D Team - only 1 relay per school made finals, so Bailey didn't swim this event.

#6 Girls 200 Yard IM (2:23.32) - Managed to improve from the morning by just over a second, moving up from 10th to 9th in finals - 2:22.23

#12 Girls 100 Yard Butterfly (1:03.85) - Bailey was slightly off the pace from the morning posting a 1:04.03, and finishing 10th. All and all one heck of meet coming off her concussion and missed practice time

Bear -

#1 Boys 200 Yard Medley Relay - A Team (1:46.38) - Seeded 5th coming into finals and finished 5th...Bear split a 23.17 and team improved on their time by over a second from the morning - 1:45.20

#17 Boys 200 Yard Freestyle Relay - A Team (1:33.27) - Came in seeded 3rd and finished 3rd. Bear split a 23.47 with a conservative start...team added just over a second from the morning swim - 1:34.46

Overall

The boys ended up finishing 2nd in county, despite the poor lineup decisions made by the coach. Overall, the decision to swim Bear, Jake and Riley in 3 relays cost the team between 50 and 60 points. The overall winner on the boys side was Lambert who won by 300+ points and they extend their championship run to 10 straight years. South held on to second with West only 4 points behind and Central only 1.5 points behind them.

On the girls side South was able to end Lambert's 9 year run. Overall the War Eagles outscored Lambert by 27 points, but that's a bit misleading. In the swimming portion, South dominated, but Lambert girls took 1st through 5th place in diving and made up 100 points in the overall score. It was almost enough to extend their streak, and will probably be enough to get them the win next year.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:04 AM   #1082
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Emory & Henry vs. Sweet Briar, Hollins, & Hampden-Sydney - RESULTS

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Women

Emory & Henry - 92
Hollins - 68

Emory & Henry - 104
Sweet Briar - 61

Notes
- The Wasps won eight of the 11 races beginning with the 200-meter medley relay. Sophomore Lauren Trotter (Bristol, Va.), freshman Leah Mumpower (Bristol, Va.) and juniors Savannah Scarbrough (Crozet, Va.) and Taylor Simmons (Fincastle, Va.) went 2:25.49 to win by nearly 13 seconds.
- Freshman Cat Sweigart (Bridgewater, Va.) won the 800-meter freestyle clocked a 11:02.37 in the 800-meter freestyle, finishing 32.8 seconds ahead of second place.
- Scarbrough added a pair of wins to her relay victory, taking the 200-meter individual medley in 2:43.86 and the 100-meter backstroke with a time of 1:18.61.
- Junior Olivia Anson (Apex, N.C.) picked up victories in the 50-meter freestyle (:28.37) and 100-meter butterfly (1:07.60) freshman Anne-Louise Tunstall (Mount Airy, N.C.) won the 100-meter freestyle in 1:06.30.
- Mumpower gave E&H its last win of the day, going a 5:21.49 in the 400-meter freestyle.

Men

Emory & Henry - 46
Hampden-Sydney - 148

Notes

- Freshman Braxton Justice (Spanishburg, W.Va.) won two events for the Wasps, taking the lead in the final 25 meters of both races. He went :58.81 in the 100-meter freestyle and 1:15.79 in the 100-meter breaststroke, winning the breast by just 0.1 seconds.
- Freshman Tariq Gardner (Richmond, Va.) was second in the 50-meter freestyle (:26.23) while freshman Blake Madaris (Acworth, Ga.) swam a 2:34.40 to finish as the runner-up.

Overview

Brett swam the 400 Free a little faster than he did earlier in the season, but he still posted a pedestrian 5:22.27. He immediately got out after the 400 and raced the 100 breast, which was slightly better than his swim from Saturday last week, but no where near as good as his Friday swim - 1:22.32. Brett also mentioned that they started lifting again last week, so he's extremely sore right now. Hopefully, he'll take the taper well and will perform at the ODACs next month.

Last edited by Breeze : 01-24-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:46 AM   #1083
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

William Peace & LaGrange vs. Emory & Henry @ Emory & Henry - 1/26

The final meet of the regular season is tomorrow, as E&H host William Peace and Lagrange. The women should easily defeat Lagrange, but William Peace will be nip and tuck, as that score could come down to single digits. On the men's side, E&H will be close to both of their opponents, but will probably come up just short both times.

Brett is apparently swimming the 200 IM and the 100 Breast.

Note: LaGrange is less than 2 hours from the house, so we are hoping next year E&H uses one of its travel trips to head down, so we can watch a meet without having as far to travel.

Last edited by Breeze : 01-25-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:32 AM   #1084
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

South Forsyth - Last Chance Meet @ Cumming Aquatic Center - 1/26

The last meet for the twins prior to the High School State Championship. Both Bailey and Bear have state cuts. Bear will most likely swim the 200 and 500 free at state. Bailey's time in the 100 fly from state should be good enough to be one of the top 4 swimmers from South and get her a spot in the state meet. Not sure about her best 200 IM time.

Bailey

#4 Girls 200 Free (2:07.83) - if Bailey had been training regularly I think she might have a shot at a PB here, but my guess is she'll finish a 2:08 mid. Practice before hand will also impact her times.

#12 Girls 100 Fly (1:02.40) - I don't think she comes close to this time...anything in the 1:03s like the county meet would be an improvement over her typical high school swims. I'm a bit concerned that the coach has her swimming this. The 1:02 time should be a top 4 for the South team and thus good enough to swim at state, but I'm afraid she might be going off of only 2018-19 season times, which would make Bailey's best a 1:03.88 and that might not be top 4...

Bear

#3 Boys 200 Free (1:50.22) - would love to see a drop in this time. It's a full 5 seconds off his PB and if he could get into the 1:48 or so range I'd fell better about his position heading into Sectionals.

#13 Boys 100 Free (51.32) - this isn't a personal best, but it's only about .3 off of his best. Anything close to his seed time would be good, especially given the twins will have practice before this meet.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:35 PM   #1085
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
The final meet of the regular season is tomorrow

Srsly? Seems like the season just started.

Quote:
LaGrange is less than 2 hours from the house, so we are hoping next year E&H uses one of its travel trips to head down, so we can watch a meet without having as far to travel

This is a thing we discovered with Sewanee being the closest game played by my son's buddies at W&L. The ODAC is definitely not travel easy/friendly for fans in Georgia.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:32 AM   #1086
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

South Forsyth - Last Chance Meet - RESULTS

Bailey and Bear both begged out of this meet. There were no relays and no score was kept, as this meet was all about allowing individual swimmers to shoot for state cut times. Given Bailey and Bear are both already qualified to swim at state, neither felt any urgency to compete this weekend and the coach was ok allowing them to skip the event.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:23 AM   #1087
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

William Peace & LaGrange vs. Emory & Henry - RESULTS

The Emory & Henry College Men's & Women's Swimming Teams closed out the regular season Saturday with a double dual against LaGrange College and William Peace University. Both of the Wasps' teams were dominant in their victories.

The Emory & Henry men picked up five wins and three runner-up finishes in the 11-event meet and broke a pair of school records. The Wasp women won 10 events with a trio of 1-2 finishes as they out-matched their opponents.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Women

Emory & Henry - 119
LaGrange - 10

Emory & Henry - 113
William Peace - 48

Notes
- Three different Wasps earned a pair of individual wins. Freshman Anne-Louise Tunstall (Mount Airy, N.C.) posted a :30.67 in the 50-meter freestyle an a 1:13.67 in the 100-meter butterfly.
- Junior Olivia Anson (Apex, N.C.) used a 2:14.99 to win the 200-meter freestyle by more than 15 seconds and followed it up with a 1:02.18 in the 100-meter freestyle.
- Junior Savannah Scarbrough (Crozet, Va.) stopped the watches in 2:43.78 in the 200-meter individual medley and went 1:26.40 in the 100-meter breaststroke for a win.
- Freshman Cat Sweigart (Bridgewater, Va.) won the 400-meter freestyle with a 5:25.00 while junior Taylor Simmons (Fincastle, Va.) posted a 11:30.55 to take the 800-meter freestyle.
- E&H swept the relays with times of 2:27.07 in the 200-medley and 2:06.43 in the 200-freestyle.

Men

Emory & Henry - 94
LaGrange - 71

Emory & Henry - 107
William Peace - 51

Notes
- Freshmen Braxton Justice (Spanishburg, W.Va.) and Mack Henningsen (Abingdon, Va.) broke records for the Wasps. Justice went :58.53 in winning the 100-meter freestyle to set a new program standard while Henningsen's 4:42.299 in the 400-meter freestyle was also good enough to win the event by 10.3 seconds.
- Henningsen also won the 200-meter freestyle in 2:12.09 while freshman Tariq Gardner (Richmond, Va.) claimed the title in the 50-free (:26.83).
- The Wasps' final win of the day was in the 200-meter medley relay as freshman Blake Madaris (Acworth, Ga.), junior Jarod Bracero (Union City, N.J.), freshman Nick Moore (Lebanon, Va.) and junior Nick Barr (Chilhowie, Va.) clocked a 2:19.95.

Overview

The regular season comes to an end and the E&H women finish with a record of 9-5 (5-2 in ODACs), and the men finished the season 4-8 (2-3 in ODACs)

Initially, in the preview for this event I noted the Brett was supposed to swim the 200 IM and the 100 Breast, well as it turns out that's not what happened. Somehow Brett got tagged as the swimmer who would do the gauntlet by Coach Cody. Apparently, Cody makes all his swimmers do this at least 1 time during their career with the team. The gauntlet consists of swimming the 800 Free, 200 IM, and 400 Free all in one event. This is the most race yardage a swimmer can do in a dual meet (given the 1650/1500 isn't generally contested in a meet of this type). Brett actually did pretty well:

800 Free - Brett managed to go 11:30.30, which isn't a great time, and he admitted as much, but it is the 3rd time he swam this event this season and it is a season's best time by 12 seconds.

200 IM - posted a 2:40.35 which was also a season best swim with a 4 second improvement over his previous best.

400 Free - another mid distance free swim that still isn't as strong as his times when he was swimming year round, but another season's best and an improvement of 2 seconds - 5:20.31

All 3 swims were season bests, and the first one was the 800 free, which means the last two might have been even faster if he hadn't been fatigued from the 800. Hope this means good things at ODACs

Last edited by Breeze : 01-29-2019 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:10 AM   #1088
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Emory & Henry - General Update

Yesterday, Coach Cody posted on the EHC Swim Facebook site that his girlfriend has been diagnosed with a brain tumor. I don't know any specifics, but I will be praying for them, and if I learn more I'll post it here.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:23 AM   #1089
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
Apparently, Cody makes all his swimmers do this at least 1 time during their career with the team.

And now it's out of the way early
Old 02-06-2019, 10:10 AM   #1090
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

2019 GHSA 6-7A State Swim Meet @ Georgia Tech - 2/8 - 2/9

Bailey

#12 Girls 100 Yard Butterfly (1:04.23) - Bailey is seeded with a 1:04.23 time, which is just an indication of how lazy the coach is. This isn't even her best time from the season. That would be a 1:03.88. Last year at this meet she went around a 1:02.5, her personal best from December's year round state meet is a 1:00 low. I'm hoping she can improve on last year's time in this event. If she can get anywhere close to her personal best it would be phenomenal, but unfortunately, even a personal best swim isn't going to get her to finals. To make the top 16 she'd need to swim in the 58 second range.

Bailey also qualified in the 200 IM, and based on the information I can find she should have the 4th fastest time on the team and she should be competing in this event, however, the coach dropped her. The seed time entered for the girl that replaced Bailey doesn't beat Bailey's best for the season (but given she didn't have Bailey's best time for her 100 fly, I'm not sure the other girl's seed time is her best either). I've tried to find times from all of the team's meets, but I can't locate a couple, and without knowing for sure that she's incorrectly dropped Bailey, I'm not going to speak up. Bailey will not be in any relays at state.

Bear

#1 Boys 200 Yard Medley Relay (1:45.67) - This was probably the coaches biggest blunder of the meet. For some strange reason she elected to put her 4 best swimmers in this event. During the county meet this same group of 4 managed to finish 5th in a county of 7 teams, and yet she felt this was her best change to get a relay into the top 16?????? Bear will swim the free leg in the relay and they will finish in the 30s overall. Such a waste...not to mention this race is right before Bear's next event.

#3 Boys 200 Yard Freestyle - (1:53.80) - Bear has only raced this event 3 times this year and other than Senior State where he went a 1:46.69 he hasn't come close to his personal best of 1:45.91. If he can at least match his performance from last year 1:48s, he'll have a shot at the B final. It would take a personal best swim for him to get into the A final, and given that Bear will not be fully tapered for this event (whereas most of the people he'll be swimming against will be), I don't expect him to reach the finals.

#15 Boys 500 Yard Freestyle - (4:59.77) - - Bear hasn't been on his game with this event yet this sesason. In fact, even at Senior State he was a good 7 seconds off his personal best time of 4:41. However, if he can get to the 4:47 he posted back at Senior State in December he could make the B finals. A finals will take a swim at least approaching his personal best, and again, the lack of a full taper will probably prevent that from happening.

#17 Boys 200 Yard Freestyle Relay - (1:36.90) - As you can probably tell from the event number, this event is directly after the 500 free. Bear will have very little time to recover. Not that it really matters as the team will be lucky to finish in the high 30s overall. Bear should have been matched with the other 3 swimmers from the medley relay in the 400 Free. If those 4 where together in that event, they would come in seeded 16th and they could possibly score. However, the coach obviously didn't bother to do any research on this and ultimately wasted her relays.

Last edited by Breeze : 02-06-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:53 PM   #1091
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

This coach sounds like she's probably related to one we saw in a different sport in HS.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:33 AM   #1092
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

General Update

This happened during the Saturday finals:

The oldest high school yards record in the books has been broken.

At the 2019 Georgia 6-7A State Championships, Mill Creek High School’s Jake Magahey wrote his name in the history books in the 500 free. His time of 4:15.63 broke Jeff Kostoff of Upland High School’s previous National Public High School record of 4:16.39 set in 1983.

Magahey’s splits:

100 – 49.28
200 – 1:40.15 (50.87)
300 – 2:31.88 (51.73)
400 – 3:23.99 (52.11)
500 – 4:15.63 (51.64)

The National Independent High School record in the event is 4:12.87 set by Santa Margarita Catholic’s Grant Shoults in 2016, which still stands as the overall mark.

Before Magahey’s stellar performance, Kostoff’s mark stood as the oldest boys’ record to date. The oldest record, for boys or girls and any course, is Tracy Caulkins’ 100 SCM breaststroke of 1:07.47 set in 1981. Her record remains the indepedenent and overall high school mark.

Magahey does his club swimming with SwimAtlanta and his best time in the 500 free is a 4:14.61 that was fast enough to win the event at Juniors East in December where he also took first in the mile. The junior also won the 200 free (1:35.62) at the 2019 Georgia State Championships. - SwimmingWorld Magazine

In case you are curious - Jeff Kostoff was a 2 time Olympian (1984, 1988) finishing 6th and 9th in the 400 IM. So keep an eye on Magahey, he'll certainly be in discussions for Olympics over the next several cycles.

Edit to provide some context:
- During Jake's 500 yard swim, 3 of his 5 100 yard splits were faster than Bear has ever sprinted a 100 free with a dive.
- The race consisted on the 10 fastest swimmers in the state and 2nd place was 15.5 seconds behind (not on the same lap)
- The 10th place finisher in the heat was lapped (over 2 laps behind).
- This was also not his personal best swim for the 500 free.

Last edited by Breeze : 05-07-2019 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:58 AM   #1093
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

2019 GHSA 6-7A State Swim Meet - PRELIM RESULTS

Bailey

#12 Girls 100 Yard Butterfly (1:04.23) - As I mentioned in the pre-event write up I was hoping Bailey could beat her time from last year and I felt it would be phenomenal if she was able to get close to her personal best time, well - she looked great and posted a time of 1:00.78. This is extremely close to her personal best time of 1:00.21, but it's almost identical to the 1:00.72 time she swam in time trials in in the same meet where she posted that best time. It turns out they bring the top 30 swimmers back to finals, but it would have taken a sub 59 second swim to get there. I'm hoping this means she'll swim well at the taper meet this Spring.

Bear

#1 Boys 200 Yard Medley Relay (1:45.67) - Bear's sprint free looked awesome in this race, as he posted a split around 22.5, which is the fastest he's ever gone. The team also managed to finish 21st, so they returned for finals the next day.

#3 Boys 200 Yard Freestyle - (1:53.80) - Bear looked sluggish in this race, he did manage to match his time from last year with a 1:48.00, but it wasn't pretty. He also managed to finish 29th, so he was able to return for finals.

#15 Boys 500 Yard Freestyle - (4:59.77) - - Bear again looked sluggish. His former coach Andy was sitting with us and he was analyzing Bear during the race, he mentioned that the stroke looked off, but he wasn't sure now was the time to try and fix it because Bear has a tendency to get overly analytic with his stroke and it can really hinder his performance. Bear finished in a time of 4:54.19, he wasn't pleased with the swim, but he did manage to get the 28th spot so he was going to swim it the next night at finals.

#17 Boys 200 Yard Freestyle Relay - (1:36.90) - The sprint still looked extremely good. Bear managed to go a 23.15 immediately after the 500...it was as strong swim, and all in all Bear and the 3 non-year rounders put together a great effort, but the finished 31st, so they wouldn't be back for finals.

In case you are wondering, in the 400 free the 3 swimmers Bear paired with for the medley combined with a 4th non-year rounder to qualify 33rd, so they didn't make finals either. Had the coach simply combined her 4 best swimmers in the 200 or the 400 free they easily would have qualified.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:40 PM   #1094
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

2019 GHSA 6-7A State Swim Meet - FINALS RESULTS

Bailey

Bailey didn't have a swim in finals, but the South Forsyth girls finished 3rd in the state!!!

Bear

#1 Boys 200 Yard Medley Relay (1:45.67) - This relay was the top seed in the first heat, and it was exciting. They had a lead in the back, lost it bad in the breast, then the flyer closed the gap but Bear entered the water in 3rd place...he was able to basically duplicate his 22.5 split from prelims and he won the heat.

#3 Boys 200 Yard Freestyle - (1:48.00) - Bear worked extremely hard in this one, trying to go faster, but it looked labored and he really wasn't going anywhere. This time Andy filmed Bear and noted that he was really picking his head and chest up out of the water creating a significant amount of drag, so much that he was forced to alter his kick to get over the wave of water he was creating, and that altered kick created more drag. It's the classic swimming dichotomy, you can work twice as hard and it creates 4x the drag and ultimately you swim slower. It's not always about power in swimming. Bear finished in 1:48.62

#15 Boys 500 Yard Freestyle - (4:54.19) - - Before the 500, Andy sent Bear the video he made along with some simple instructions. And from the start of the race it was obvious Bear was trying to make the adjustment. He was able to hold the more efficient stroke for about 225 yards, then he began to try and work harder and he fell back into some bad habits. However, he did significantly improve on his seed time, posting a 4:48.84. This swim moved him from 29th to 19th overall, still not close to his PB, but a step in the right direction. Now he really needs to work on cleaning up that technique before Sectionals in March.

Last edited by Breeze : 02-13-2019 at 06:03 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:56 AM   #1095
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Emory & Henry - ODAC Championships @ Greensboro Aquatic Center - 2/15 - 2/17

The ODAC Championships is coming up at the end of the week, and I'm planning to do a write up on the team and how it fits into the meet as well as how Brett's swims line up, but I was hoping to see a copy of the psych sheet before posting. However, ODAC athletics has failed to post anything yet. Last year they had a conference preview and the psych sheet out the Monday before the event. Not sure why the delay, but it's quite annoying to a stat geek like me.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:29 AM   #1096
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Emory & Henry - ODAC Championships @ Greensboro Aquatic Center - 2/15 - 2/17

The ODAC Championship is a big swim meet for a D3 conference with 12 women’s teams and 10 men’s teams competing. In the meet the top 16 places score with the points distributed like this:
Code:
1 – 20 points 9 – 9 points 2 – 17 points 10 – 7 points 3 – 16 points 11 – 6 points 4 – 15 points 12 – 5 points 5 – 14 points 13 – 4 points 6 – 13 points 14 – 3 points 7 – 12 points 15 – 2 points 8 – 11 points 16 – 1 point

Washington & Lee dominates the conference having won 11 straight women’s title and all 4 of the previous men’s titles. They will undoubtedly win again this year by a wide margin. E&H finished 4th on the women’s side last year and 10th on the men's side.

The Emory & Henry College Men's & Women's Swimming Teams will enter the championship portion of their seasons this weekend at the 2019 Old Dominion Athletic Conference Championships, held at the Greensboro Aquatics Center. The three-day, 18-event meet will run from Friday to Sunday with preliminary races in the morning and finals in the evening. The Wasps will send eight men and seven women to this year's championship.

"The ODAC Championship meet is what we build our whole season around. Our biggest goal when we get into the pool in the fall is to prepare ourselves to swim fast this weekend," commented Head Coach Cody Skinner, now in his third year leading the Wasps. "We have had a good regular season. We swam some dual meets against really tough competition and some Division II and NAIA schools that have scholarships. Our record shows that we had success during the year, but the big measuring stick is the championship meet at the end of the year. We are excited for the possibility of one of our swimmers to attain a NCAA "B" Cut which will get her into the conversation for the NCAA Championship meet in March."

Women
- Junior Olivia Anson (Apex, N.C.) has the second-best swim over the course of the year in the 200-yard freestyle and is also seeded fifth in both the 50-yard and 100-yard freestyles.
- Freshman Cat Sweigart (Bridgewater, Va.) is sixth in the 100-yard breaststroke and ninth in the 200-yard breaststroke while freshman Leah Mumpower (Bristol, Va.) is seeded eighth 500-yard freestyle.
- E&H has the fifth-best time in the 200-yard freestyle relay and is sixth in the 400-yard freestyle, 200-yard medley and 400-yard medley relays.

Men
- Freshman Braxton Justice (Spanishburg, W.Va.) is seeded 10th in the 100-yard breaststroke and also has strong seeds in the 50-yard and 100-yard freestyle.
- Freshman Mack Henningsen (Abingdon, Va.) and freshman Blake Madaris (Acworth, Ga.) hold the #11 seeds in the 200-yard freestyle and 400-yard individual medley, respectively.
- The Wasps' have their best relay seed in the 800-freestyle relay at fifth and are sixth in the 400-yard medley relay.

Women’s Individual Event Breakdown
50 Freestyle
- 5) Anson – 24.82 – less than a half second from first.
- 41) Trotter – 31.28 – also ran
100 Freestyle
- 5) Anson – 54:06 – another ‘A’ final swim for Anson
- 16) Tunstall – 57:07 – sitting in a pretty good spot to at least hold on to the final scoring position
- 38) Trotter – 1:12.86 – also ran
200 Freestyle
- 2) Anson – 1:55.40 – just over a second ahead of third and just under a second behind first…
- 22) Simmons – 2:16.39 – Simmons has improved a good deal on mid-distance swims recently, but too far to go to get points this weekend.
500 Freestyle
- 25) Mumpower – 6:15.23 – also ran
1650 Freestyle
- No Entry
100 Backstroke
- 25) Simmons – 1:12.73 – also ran
- 32) Trotter – 1:22.42 – also ran
200 Backstroke
- 27) Simmons – NT – personal best puts her just outside of the top 16, it’s not likely she gets into scoring range but it’s not entirely out of the question either.
100 Butterfly
- 12) Tunstall – 1:03.37 – seventh place is less than 1 second faster than her seed time. 1 second slower is still 15th, so she should score in this one.
200 Butterfly
- 19) Scarbrough – NT – her personal best time of 2:34 puts her in the top 16, and based on enry times if she can even come close to that, she should make the ‘B’ finals
100 Breaststroke
- 6) Sweigart – 1:09.50 – sixth through eighth is less than .12 seconds apart. Needs a good swim to ensure an ‘A’ final appearance.
- 13) Scarbrough – 1:11.99 – she has a 3+ second advantage over the 14 seed and only .2 from 11, making it very likely she scores here
- 20) Mumpower – 1:19.47 – would need a really strong swim to slip into the back end of the scoring range
200 Breaststroke
- 9) Sweigart – 2:35.83 – needs over a second improvement to move up into the top 8
- 28) Mumpower – NT – personal best time is outside of scoring range
200 IM
- 12) Tunstall – 2:19.93 – looks likely she finishes between 11 and 14, big gaps on either side of those spots
- 23) Sweigart – 2:29.81 – would need a huge time drop to reach 16
400 IM
- 11) Scarbrough – 5:04.51 – solidly in the middle of the scoring pack.

Women’s Relay Event Breakdown - with relays Cody will be facing some tough decisions. By my count a swimmer can compete in a maximum of 4 relays, and Cody doesn’t have enough good swimmers to spread the wealth across all 5 races (this goes for the men too). He’s almost certainly going to have to analyze the races and look for gaps where a weaker swimmer might not hurt the team as much. The projected teams listed below take into account the need to limit swimmers to 4 events and is my best guess as to what Cody will do.

200 Free Relay
- 5) – 1:45.86 – Anson, Simmons, Sweigart, Scarbrough
400 Free Relay
- 6) – 3:56.53 – Anson, Tunstall, Simmons, Scarbrough
800 Free Relay
- 8) – NT – Anson, Tunstall, Simmons, Scarbrough – calculating all 4 swimmers 200 free times without adjusting for rolling starts – this team’s time comes in sixth
200 Medley Relay
- 6) – 2:01.14 – Simmons (bk), Sweigart (br), Tunstall (fl), Anson (fr)
400 Medley Relay
- 6) – 4:18.86 – Scarbrough (bk), Sweigart (br), Tunstall (fl), Simmons (fr)

Overall

The E&H Women are projected to finish 5th

Men’s Individual Event Breakdown
50 Freestyle
- 17) Justice – 23.11 – has a shot to score in this event, especially if he responds well to the taper
- 21) Gardner – 23.48 – has looked good at times and rough in others, not sure which we will see this weekend
- 29) Barr – 24.74 – a good time for a rugby player who swims in his spare time.
- 38) Moore – 26.75 – also ran
- 41) Bracero – 29.43 – nothing else to put him in
100 Freestyle
- 17) Justice – 51.45 – just like the 50 free, if the taper is good he could score
- 28) Gardner – 54.64 – doesn’t have the stamina to challenge the top 16 in this event
- 35) Barr – 57.73 – also ran
- 42) Moore – 1:08.16 – I expect he’ll be faster than this time, but still a non-factor
200 Freestyle
- 17) Henningsen – 1:55.59 – taper could help as the 13th through the 17th spots are separated by just 2 seconds
- 28) Barr – 2:11.96 – nothing else for him to swim, but he’ll be a non-factor
500 Freestyle
- 20) Henningsen – 5:22.13 – it appears he’s too far out to reach the top 16, but it is the 500 and we’ve seen significant time drops in this event during tapers before
1650 Freestyle
- No Entry
100 Backstroke
- 23) Madaris – 1:01.41 – not going to challenge for points here, as he’d need to get down to ~58 seconds
200 Backstroke
- 18) Madaris – 2:13.73 – here Blake may be able to slip into the back end of the scorers, he’s just 1 second off from the 16th seed.
100 Butterfly
- 21) Gardner – 1:03.40 – like the 100 free, he lacks the stamina to really challenge in this event
- 25) Moore – 1:11.53 – also ran
200 Butterfly
- 11) Henningsen – 2:15.65 – barring a DQ, Mack will almost certainly score here
100 Breaststroke
- 10) Justice – 1:05.28 – again barring a DQ, Braxton should score
- 17) Breeze – 1:08.75 – he’s really probably 18th, as there is a no time (NT) swimmer entered who has a personal best around a 1:04 but still that is right on the cusp of scoring. He’s going to need to drop some time to ensure he earns points.
200 Breaststroke
- 13) Breeze – 2:31.48 – this one is going to be close as there are several NT swimmers with PB times very similar or faster than Brett’s. A good swim here and he could climb up to around 10
200 IM
- No Entry
400 IM
- 11) Madaris – 4:59.81 – this one is going to be tricky because there are 7 NT swimmers, most of them are very good in this event, a couple fast enough to make the ‘A’ final. Just not sure how well a 5 minute swim holds up here.
- 18) Breeze – NT – Brett’s PB is a 5:02, but the strange thing is, I have no idea what to expect in this event. My first instinct is to state that he’s in no where near as good a shape as he was when he posted that PB time, but on the other hand he was swimming around a 1:15 fly leg, where he’s now swimming under 1:05…so that’s a 10 second improvement at the beginning of the race. If I was forced to guess, I say around a 5 minute time would be a good effort from Brett, which of course puts him in the same boat with Madaris mentioned above.

Men’s Relay Event Breakdown

200 Free Relay
- 7) – 1:36.50 – Gardner, Justice, Barr, Breeze
400 Free Relay
- 7) - 3:35.55 – Gardner, Justice, Barr, Henningsen
800 Free Relay
- 5) - 8:04.28 – Madaris, Justice, Henningsen, Breeze
200 Medley Relay
- 7) – 1:54.16 – Madaris (bk), Breeze (br), Henningsen (fl), Gardner (fr)
400 Medley Relay
- 6) 4:01.61 – Madaris (bk), Justice (br), Henningsen (fl), Gardner (fr)

Overall

The men are projected to finish 7th

*Note: The number preceding the swimmer's name is where they are seeded in the event.

Last edited by Breeze : 02-14-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:40 PM   #1097
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm not going to spoiler anything (duh) but I will tell you that I just went through the posted times from Fri & Sat. (As of 740p Sun isn't up yet)

Affirmation, if nothing else, that we do care & we do enjoy following this.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:02 AM   #1098
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'm not going to spoiler anything (duh) but I will tell you that I just went through the posted times from Fri & Sat. (As of 740p Sun isn't up yet)

Affirmation, if nothing else, that we do care & we do enjoy following this.

Thanks Jon...that does mean a lot.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:03 AM   #1099
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Emory & Henry - ODAC Championships - DAY 1, PRELIM RESULTS

Before the start of the meet, we learned that Brett had been moved to the 400 IM, and out of the 500 free. Given that he had no individual swims on Friday morning, and that he might be in a relay, but that wasn't guaranteed, we elected to get up to the event in time for Monday finals. Otherwise we would have had to leave around 4 A.M. Friday to be there for the prelims. The wife did watch Prelims on her phone during the trip.

200 Yard Free Relay

- 5) E&H Women (1:45.86) - Anson, Simmons, Scarbrough, Tunstall - combined for a 1:48.81 and a 6th place finish

- 7) E&H Men (1:36.50) - Gardner, Breeze, Madaris, Justice - Gardner led off the relay and in the opening 25 he was right with the leaders early but he completely missed the wall on the turn, which obviously should have led to a DQ, but the official was looking the other way. The missed wall, led to a slow split of 24.2. Brett followed with a 25.26, which even if we add the maximum benefit of .7 for the relay rolling start, would still have been a personal best for him. The team finished with a time of 1:37.38, which was 8th and just barely good enough to keep them in the 'A' final.

500 Yard Freestyle

Women
- 25) Mumpower (6:15.23)
- dropped an incredible 25.39 seconds, finished 18th. 5:49.84

Men
- 20) Henningsen (5:22.13)
- dropped 14.85 seconds, and also finished 18th. 5:07.28

200 Yard Individual Medley

Women
- 12) Tunstall (2:19.93)
- added a little bit of time finishing in 2:20.32, good enough for 13th and a spot in the 'B' Final
- 23) Sweigart (2:29.81) - Brett's training partner, dropped 7.94 seconds and climbed to 15th, also making the 'B' Final - 2:21.87

Men
- No Entry

50 Yard Freestyle

Women
- 5) Anson (24.82)
- finished 6th with a 24.45
- 41) Trotter (31.28) - nice swim with a 28.36 - finished 32nd

Men
- 17) Justice (23.11)
- split a 22.19 in the relay earlier in the day, and split a 22.12 with a cold start here. Good enough to make the 'B' Final as the 13 seed.
- 21) Gardner (23.48) - swam 23.54 finishing 23
- 29) Barr (24.74) - not his best swim - 25.54, 32nd
- 38) Moore (26.75) - form is coming along nicely...but turns are a disaster - did manage a PB 25.82. 35th
- 41) Bracero (29.43) - dropped a bunch 27.62 finished 37th.

400 Yard Medley Relay

- 6) E&H Women (4:18.86) - Trotter (back), Mumpower (breast), Scarbrough (fly), Simmons (free) - Cody went with the B team in this prelim and they posted a 4:36.98, but it was still good enough to qualify 5th heading into finals.

- 6) E&H Men (4:01.61) - Madaris (back), Breeze (breast), Henningsen (fly), Gardner (free) - posted a 4:01.80, and a 5th place heading into finals. Brett split a 1:07.14, which again, even with a maximum penalty for a rolling start would have still been a personal best swim.

Session 1 Overview

Session 1 started out promising. Brett had 2 swims in relays, which showed the coach felt he was swimming well enough to have him do the 100 breast in the 400 IM, which isn't a marginal thing, given that Braxton's 100 Breast was about 3 full seconds faster coming into this weekend. Plus he swam in the 200 free relay, and his freestyle wasn't one of the top 5 on the team coming in. In addition, both of his swims were in line to be personal bests. Neither would have been a big drop when the rolling start was factored, but personal bests are never something to take lightly.

All in all, the team looked to be in good form, with several swimmers dropping a decent amount of time.

Last edited by Breeze : 02-19-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:55 AM   #1100
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Emory & Henry - ODAC Championships - DAY 1, FINALS RESULTS

200 Yard Free Relay

- 6) E&H Women (1:48.81) - Tunstall, Sweigart, Mumpower, Anson - reworked relay for finals paid off with a 1:43.82 time and a 4th place finish. - 30 points

- 7) E&H Men (1:37.38) - Gardner, Henningsen, Madaris, Justice - Brett gets pulled before finals, which I expected. and the team climbed all the way to 5th - 1:34.41 - 28 points

200 Yard Individual Medley

Women
- 13) Tunstall (2:20.32)
- improved from the morning and even dropped below her prelim seed time finishing in 2:19.59, but she wasn't able to improve on her 13th place finish in prelims. - 4 points
- 23) Sweigart (2:21.87) - she couldn't match her time from the morning posting a 2:22.72 and finishing 16th - 1 point

50 Yard Freestyle

Women
- 6) Anson (24.45)
- finished 5th with a 24.29 - 14 points

Men
- 13) Justice (22.12)
- like Gardner in prelims, Justice missed the wall on the turn, and again the officials failed to notice it. He posted a 23.05 and settled for 16th place because of it. - 1 point

400 Yard Medley Relay

- 5) E&H Women (4:36.98) - Anson (back), Sweigart (breast), Tunstall (fly), Scarbrough (free) - The free sprint specialist Anson was forced to move to back in order to maximize the team's time, and it paid off...they finished in 4:12.38 and 4th place - 30 points

- 5) E&H Men (4:01.80) - Madaris (back), Breeze (breast), Henningsen (fly), Gardner (free) - the same team from the morning, but the overall time was much better with them stopping the watches at 3:56.36. Brett improved significantly from his morning swim posting a time of 1:05.87, this again would easily be a personal best swim, by A LOT. Unfortunately, even though the team improved, one of the other teams that sandbagged the prelims, passed them in the standings and the boys ended up 6th. - 26 points

Session 2 Overview

Brett had very little to do in the second session, but his breast stroke in the relay was strong and that swim created some excitement for Saturday.

The team did well on the first day of competition.

Day 1 Women's Scores
Code:
1 WASHINGTON AND LEE UNIVERSITY 293 2 RANDOLPH-MACON COLLEGE 186 3 ROANOKE COLLEGE 156 4 EMORY & HENRY COLLEGE 79 5 BRIDGEWATER COLLEGE 69 6 RANDOLPH COLLEGE 59 7 HOLLINS UNIVERSITY 49 8 FERRUM COLLEGE 46 9 SWEET BRIAR COLLEGE 36 10 GUILFORD COLLEGE 26 11 VIRGINIA WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY 14 12 GREENSBORO COLLEGE 0

Day 1 Men's Scores
Code:
1 WASHINGTON AND LEE UNIVERSITY 278 2 ROANOKE COLLEGE 181 3 RANDOLPH-MACON COLLEGE 120 4 RANDOLPH COLLEGE 103 5 EMORY & HENRY COLLEGE 55 6 HAMPDEN-SYDNEY COLLEGE 53 7 VIRGINIA WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY 50 8 BRIDGEWATER COLLEGE 43 9 FERRUM COLLEGE 24 10 GREENSBORO COLLEGE 14

Last edited by Breeze : 02-19-2019 at 11:20 AM.