Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-21-2015, 04:11 PM   #201
jetpunk2000
Waterboy Forever

They are both excellent games but for me NV was closer to the PC games than 3. Probably because Obsidian made it. The dialogue and story were better for me. Everything else was pretty much the same.
jetpunk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 04:15 PM   #202
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpunk2000 View Post
They are both excellent games but for me NV was closer to the PC games than 3. Probably because Obsidian made it. The dialogue and story were better for me. Everything else was pretty much the same.

I think one of the things that hurt it with me was the relative disappointment of how they handled Vegas proper.

The other thing was a relative lack of engagement I felt with some of the factions/characters. It existed, it just didn't ... connect for me. That wasn't a problem for me with F3.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-21-2015 at 04:16 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 04:25 PM   #203
mckerney
Coordinator

New Vegas is vastly superior to 3. Coherent story as opposed to Fallout 3s nonsensical one along with great companion characters and well written dialogue. So pretty much standard fare for both Bethesda's large but shallow worlds and Obsidian creating a sequel that's better than it's predecessor.

Spoiler
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:09 PM   #204
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Think I've ran into my first real glitch.

There is a mission called 'Quartermasterly' where you go to the Greater Mass Blood Bank for a part for the Brotherhood of Steel. Finished it once, took the part back to the Brotherhood and a few hours later, they're asking for the same part from the same location again.

I'll do it again and see what happens...
Old 11-21-2015, 05:11 PM   #205
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I ran into that for another quest. It let me turn it in twice.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:13 PM   #206
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Also I preferred F3 over New Vegas as well. Was surprised I seemed to be in the minority. I liked New Vegas, I just didn't find myself as immersed in the game world as I did in 3. Did not feel as organic of an experience.

Old 11-21-2015, 05:15 PM   #207
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Think I've ran into my first real glitch.

There is a mission called 'Quartermasterly' where you go to the Greater Mass Blood Bank for a part for the Brotherhood of Steel. Finished it once, took the part back to the Brotherhood and a few hours later, they're asking for the same part from the same location again.

I'll do it again and see what happens...

Okay, I had a similar deal but with a settlement quest so now that it's been mentioned ... has anyone else had that happen? Where you've done the "get 'em in the fold" quest for a settlement but more than an in-game week later you get an almost identical "wipe out Threat X" quest from the same settlement?

I wasn't sure whether that was a bug or if it was something intentional meant to extend the interaction with the settlement.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:18 PM   #208
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Also, since I'm in the thread anyway, a question for people who've run into broken power armor (the whole handling of use/repair for it being annoyingly convoluted to me).

Okay, power armor frame is on the rack but now I've found pieces that I want to swap in. Except the pieces are broken, like 0/500 "health". I put them into the inventory of the power armor rack, hoping to repair them. Can't repair pieces in inventory, says they must be on the suit to work on them ... and can't put them on the suit because items have to be repaired before they can be used.

Am I just an idiot here or are those parts stuck in a loop of never being repaired (and as such become items that I might as well just sell for caps)?
Old 11-21-2015, 07:35 PM   #209
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Ha, my wedding venue is represented as a location in the game. My fiance is playing and is out on the harbor and says, hmm, should be here. Turn around and there it is. Cool moment.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:23 PM   #210
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Also, since I'm in the thread anyway, a question for people who've run into broken power armor (the whole handling of use/repair for it being annoyingly convoluted to me).

Okay, power armor frame is on the rack but now I've found pieces that I want to swap in. Except the pieces are broken, like 0/500 "health". I put them into the inventory of the power armor rack, hoping to repair them. Can't repair pieces in inventory, says they must be on the suit to work on them ... and can't put them on the suit because items have to be repaired before they can be used.

Am I just an idiot here or are those parts stuck in a loop of never being repaired (and as such become items that I might as well just sell for caps)?

You can do it all from one screen. Get the broken piece you want to swap in in your inventory, then hit the craft button at the armor rack. This will give you the repair option and it will show you the pieces that are in the armor as well as the broken ones, so you can repair them. Once you repair them you can hit the equip button. It all works from that one screen, don't try to use the transfer one at all.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:46 AM   #211
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
I think when I hit that point is when I generally just hit up the main story and play through.

Yep. I get bored when I spend too much time working on my settlements or random side quests, but as soon as I hit up the main storyline I'm back in business.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:01 AM   #212
Barkeep49
Coordinator

FWIW, put me in the like NV better than 3 camp. The writing was just so much better. I can't remember any of the decisions I made in 3 but do in NV.

As for 4, I am enjoying it (at level 16), but am in the camp that it's too densely populated.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:07 AM   #213
BillJasper
Pro Starter

They should have a 'Wisdom of Strong' book!
Old 11-22-2015, 11:24 AM   #214
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You can do it all from one screen. Get the broken piece you want to swap in in your inventory, then hit the craft button at the armor rack. This will give you the repair option and it will show you the pieces that are in the armor as well as the broken ones, so you can repair them. Once you repair them you can hit the equip button. It all works from that one screen, don't try to use the transfer one at all.

That was it, thanks.

I thought I'd done it -- somehow -- once before but forgot the method :/
Old 11-23-2015, 10:11 AM   #215
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I switched from third person to first person and found the game runs much smoother on the Xbox One.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:05 PM   #216
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I have decided to stop throwing good time after bad and to set aside Fallout 4 for now. After putting in around 70 hours or so, I've had increasingly bad load times of minutes, multiple crashes to desktop, and today I've had my PC freeze twice and had to reboot it. Meanwhile I've tried to delete saves or something to free it up but no good. It's getting progressively worse and worse. We're done.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:52 PM   #217
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Yikes I haven't had anything like that. Some weird bugs yes but not CTDs or PC freeze.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Old 11-27-2015, 09:58 PM   #218
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I've had 3-4 system lockups on XB1 through about 100 hours of play but no loss beyond one fight due to the autosaves.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:47 AM   #219
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Playing on PS4. roughly 20 hours now, haven't had the game crash at all.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:09 AM   #220
BillJasper
Pro Starter

My wife was clearing out Mirelurk eggs at the Castle. Once she had killed them all, it wouldn't acknowledge the mission was complete. Frustrated, she went on to other things.

A half-hour later, the mission complete message pops up.

It is a very buggy release. Do we have any idea when a patch is coming?
Old 11-28-2015, 06:58 AM   #221
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Clearing the eggs should result in a battle against a boss. Is it possible she didn't notice (I've seen the boss get stuck on the walls) and eventually the Minuteman killed the boss completing the mission?
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:00 AM   #222
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'm also in the 'haven't really seen all that many bugs and zero crashes' camp (PC).
Old 11-28-2015, 07:12 AM   #223
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman View Post
Clearing the eggs should result in a battle against a boss. Is it possible she didn't notice (I've seen the boss get stuck on the walls) and eventually the Minuteman killed the boss completing the mission?

She killed the Mirelurk Queen.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:19 AM   #224
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My wife was clearing out Mirelurk eggs at the Castle. Once she had killed them all, it wouldn't acknowledge the mission was complete. Frustrated, she went on to other things.

A half-hour later, the mission complete message pops up.

It is a very buggy release. Do we have any idea when a patch is coming?

Killing the Queen doesn't complete the mission, starting up the radio transmitter does.

There's supposed to be a scene where you meet Garvey in the courtyard afterwards but that will begin whether you're there or not (I was on the wall where I killed the queen, dealt with a few leftover eggs, by the time I got down I heard him just finishing the speech while I was still inside)
Old 11-30-2015, 11:21 AM   #225
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I just finished the Cabot missions - I think I would have liked them better if there was one more mission in the line to fill it out but still pretty interesting.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:15 PM   #226
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I've played about 60 hours on PS4 and had two hard crashes.
I can absolutely live with that ratio.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:24 PM   #227
Atocep
Coordinator

I'm about 60 hours into the PC version and have had maybe 2 hard lockups and 3-4 reloads because of bugs. That's a huge improvement over every other Bethesda game I've played.

So far I wish they had used higher res textures, but not very many complaints to be honest. It's not a huge leap forward, but it's still fallout. The map isn't massive by current open world game standards, but it makes up for it with a metric fuckton of shit to do.

Overall I'm pleased. Hopefully we have some Point Lookout level DLC to look forward to.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:50 PM   #228
Groundhog
Coordinator

49 hours in here. I'm a bit surprised it's not higher...

After being burned by my faction choice in Fallout New Vegas (re: how it affected my ending), I'm probably being a bit cautious this time around. Without giving away any spoilers, if I 'accept' membership to any one of the Brotherhood/Railroad/various others, does that effectively end the other faction-relationed quests for the others?
Old 11-30-2015, 10:54 PM   #229
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post

After being burned by my faction choice in Fallout New Vegas (re: how it affected my ending), I'm probably being a bit cautious this time around. Without giving away any spoilers, if I 'accept' membership to any one of the Brotherhood/Railroad/various others, does that effectively end the other faction-relationed quests for the others?

not that ive seen so far. im a member of all them. im sure ill have to betray one or many of them before the games over though

oh yea, no crashes or lockups on my PC

Last edited by bulletsponge : 11-30-2015 at 10:54 PM.
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:04 PM   #230
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Much later

Old 11-30-2015, 11:27 PM   #231
TroyF
Coordinator

I'm 92 hours in. (God, I really need a life, don't I?)

Have had 2 crashes to desktop, no freezes, and one quest killing bug that was fixed on a reload. (was stuck in an elevator)

Very happy with the game thus far.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:40 AM   #232
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Question about the faction stuff: in the decision dialogue for Bros Of Steel there's something said about "no more freelancing".

Can someone confirm that joining the BoS does NOT impact the amount of side quests that you're assigned (i.e. Minutemen, Railroad, etc the factional stuff) until whatever decision points are reached considerable farther along than I am at the moment?

I'd say 75% of my gameplay thus far has been settlement related quests, with randoms & Railroad being still more than the main storyline. I'd like to explore the BoS stuff but not at the expense of the vast majority of what I've been doing.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:06 AM   #233
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I can confirm that you are more than able to freelance even once you join the BoS. I presume there is a point later on where this is no longer true but at the moment I am a member of 3 factions - Minutemen, BoS, and Railroad. I am what I would call the second stage of membership with the first two.

Spoiler
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:59 PM   #234
BillJasper
Pro Starter

At close to 50 hours, I'm burnt out on Fallout. Figure I got my money's worth out of it, especially considering my wife and son are still playing it.

Might pick it up again after its patched.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:45 PM   #235
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Question about the faction stuff: in the decision dialogue for Bros Of Steel there's something said about "no more freelancing".

Can someone confirm that joining the BoS does NOT impact the amount of side quests that you're assigned (i.e. Minutemen, Railroad, etc the factional stuff) until whatever decision points are reached considerable farther along than I am at the moment?

I'd say 75% of my gameplay thus far has been settlement related quests, with randoms & Railroad being still more than the main storyline. I'd like to explore the BoS stuff but not at the expense of the vast majority of what I've been doing.

Yup, feel free to BOS it up for a time being.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:12 PM   #236
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:
At close to 50 hours, I'm burnt out on Fallout. Figure I got my money's worth out of it, especially considering my wife and son are still playing it.

Might pick it up again after its patched.
Same with me. 50 hours and I just want to play Skyrim. So I'm going to wait for the modders to do their magic.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:40 PM   #237
Groundhog
Coordinator

I reached the point in both the BOS/Institute and Institute/Railroad paths have to cancel out one or the other. An institute quest killed my Railroad path without warning, but I was told prior to accepting an Institute mission that it would end my BOS path, and I declined.

I was planning on running with the Minutemen but I've got an annoying 'bug' where Preston Garvey is 'stuck' in Trinity Tower. He's acting like a companion right up near the top of the building, but I can't talk to him and can't progress the Minutemen missions. Annoying, but I decided to run with the BOS, which is what I ended up doing in FO3, too.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:50 PM   #238
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I reached the point in both the BOS/Institute and Institute/Railroad paths have to cancel out one or the other. An institute quest killed my Railroad path without warning, but I was told prior to accepting an Institute mission that it would end my BOS path, and I declined.

I was planning on running with the Minutemen but I've got an annoying 'bug' where Preston Garvey is 'stuck' in Trinity Tower. He's acting like a companion right up near the top of the building, but I can't talk to him and can't progress the Minutemen missions. Annoying, but I decided to run with the BOS, which is what I ended up doing in FO3, too.

Oddly enough, Garvey is bugged for me but in the reverse, he's stuck at Sanctuary. I can't recruit him, equip him, nothing. Any dialogue with him has been unavailable since the whole "can we retake the castle" stuff started. Finishing that didn't unstick him though So I still get missions from him & can report back to him (which is kinda ass-backwards if I'm the general) but that's it.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:44 PM   #239
Groundhog
Coordinator

I actually think the Castle mission was the last time I interacted with him before he teleported to Trinity Tower... Not sure if you're on PC Jon, but I did some reading online and you can manually teleport NPCs, so might be worth teleporting him somewhere random and then back again, and see if it clears his behaviour. I'm going to give it a shot tonight.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:50 PM   #240
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Garvey has been ok for me - he spends his time farming in Sanctuary and I talk to him to get quest rewards. Haven't done the Castle mission yet though.

BTW found my favorite legendary weapon so far - missile launcher which has instigator - does double damage to anyone at full health. I renamed it Asskicker, and it does.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:58 PM   #241
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I actually think the Castle mission was the last time I interacted with him before he teleported to Trinity Tower... Not sure if you're on PC Jon, but I did some reading online and you can manually teleport NPCs, so might be worth teleporting him somewhere random and then back again, and see if it clears his behaviour. I'm going to give it a shot tonight.

XBone for me.

I think it's somehow connected to the presence of non-original followers in the same place ... or something.

The problem began when I sent Cait to Sanctuary and in the same sequence Garvey gave me the Castle mission. I couldn't talk to Cait either for a while, until after I finished the castle. Now she's able to have normal conversations (as is Piper who is also hanging around there) but not Garvey :/
Old 12-05-2015, 01:56 PM   #242
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

130 hours in so far, level 45. Have moved the main story I guess three points forward, in no hurry tbh.

The repetition of the settlement quests gets a bit tedious at times. I've just had a (named) person kidnapped from the same location now for the 3rd time. The settlements are fun in theory but in practice, they feel a bit like they're overdoing the number of tasks assigned for them. And some of the locations are just downright ridiculous with the arbitrary boundaries, one that's actually in the middle of a street. Another location allowed me to place a pre-fab shack in such a way that about 25% of it is outside the boundary, so no hanging pictures on THAT wall.

There are several nice story touches scattered throughout, probably too few random NPCs to meet along the way though. Most of the good flavor stories are told through computer logs & holotapes, at least what I've come across.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:03 PM   #243
Peregrine
Pro Starter

95 hours in, level 40. I have some of the same issues Jon - the repetitive settlement quests where I have to clear old locations over and over again are super annoying. I ran into that same shack allowed when over the border issue too.

I just finished the USS Constitution quests - felt like that was amusing and worthwhile. I do wish there was a bit more uniqueness about some of the locations (many of which are really cool) and less just rando-raiders, but lots of the map left to explore.
Old 12-05-2015, 03:36 PM   #244
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

my vision now has a light greenish haze to it when i dinged lvl 44. my other characters dont have it and its not there when im in pipboy or any other veiw. also its blurry around the edges of my vision. i thought i had some disease but i only have the molerat disease i got way back 30 lvls ago. anyone else having this weird effect?
Old 12-05-2015, 04:00 PM   #245
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm enjoying the game although I'm only at Level 15 and don't have that much time put in yet. Does seem to be getting a little repetitive and I'm not really that interested in the settlement stuff.

I started over a few days ago because I wanted to try an idiot savant build. I left INT at 1 and have 2 of the idiot savant perks now. I think it's the best way to build up EXP quick. I get 5x EXP at random and if it hits on a mission it can raise you up 2 levels at once (I got like 3000 EXP for the first Brotherhood of Steel mission).

Right now I'm going with more of a sniper/stealth build. I always used to play as a gunner who just ran in and used automatic weapons so this is a change of pace.

When do you guys use your power armor? I've been kind of saving it and haven't used it yet for the most part.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 04:24 PM   #246
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I used my PA at first saved, it , but then when you get to rolling on money, and there are stores that Im shopping at that stock cores, it becomes full time PA.

My build in weapons was a pistol build, there are a lot of strong pistols at by the (roughly) halfway mark of the game. But then I added a unique rocket launcher to my payload because of how powerful, useful and cheap the rocket shells are.

Old 12-05-2015, 04:35 PM   #247
Bobble
College Prospect

160 hours, level 53. I've recently started to move the main quest because for roleplaying reasons, it felt like I should ("yes, my son WAS kidnapped but I'm just not sure that this dresser really goes with this rug!"). I'm trying to keep a balance with all the other quests. Like some of you, I felt the settlement ones were demanding too much of my time until I decided not to rush back and tell Preston Garvey when I finished. I think I've got 4 quests finished for him but I'm holding off telling him 'cause I don't want to trigger 4 more new ones. I just wish they'd tell me which ones are time-sensitive.

Like a lot of people, I'm collecting power armors in various flavors. I don't use them unless it's a specific situation where I expect a heavy fight. I don't like just walking around in power armor "wasting" fusion cores (even though I have, like, 76 of them).

I don't know what I ever did before getting the Strong Back perk at level 4. I'm a hoarder. I love a good telephone. I'm walking around with a bunch of weapons thinking that each one would be perfect in a certain circumstance and I just end up toggling between two depending on ammo supplies and hauling stuff back to Sanctuary all the time.

My roleplaying self feels better with Codsworth (or other non-living companions) 'cause I can better justify them not being able to be killed. They'll survive that grenade I just lobbed in there at close proximity. They just shut down for a minute. They get me back, though. They're perfectly willing to lob a molotov when bad guys are anywhere near me.

@bulletsponge No green effect. It ain't easy being green. Obviously, make sure your Pipboy light isn't on.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:20 PM   #248
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I just finished the USS Constitution quests - felt like that was amusing and worthwhile.

I had to laugh a bit there ... that's exactly what I'm doing atm. On presumably the final one.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:53 PM   #249
Peregrine
Pro Starter

As for power armor, I'm still mostly saving it for tougher fights. I have a bunch of fusion cores and can buy more if I need but I like to feel that my "regular" armor set is valuable too especially with all the armorer perks I bought.

There's something about walking around with power armor and a missile launcher which makes you feel like the king of the world though.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:12 PM   #250
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As for power armor, I'm still mostly saving it for tougher fights. I have a bunch of fusion cores and can buy more if I need but I like to feel that my "regular" armor set is valuable too especially with all the armorer perks I bought.

There's something about walking around with power armor and a missile launcher which makes you feel like the king of the world though.

I've used power armor three times so far.
1) Once in the set piece that introduces it.
2) After getting my ass kicked in a quest where I needed stealth & patience in the middle of heavy radioactive location.
3) In the main quest line when you go find a guy who doesn't mind a LOT of radiation (trying to word that mostly spoiler free)

That's been it for me. It's pretty much a really fancy haz mat suit as I've used it to this point.