Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-21-2021, 08:58 AM   #1851
tarcone
Coordinator

Yeah, it was 72 here on Monday. Then Tuesday the cold front rolled through and we got an inch of snow. It was big, wet snow. Crazy, It was gone by about 5.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:42 AM   #1852
Thomkal
Head Coach

80 yesterday here in Myrtle, 40s this morning and snow in the NC mountains
Old 06-27-2021, 09:35 PM   #1853
thesloppy
Pro Starter

112 here today in Portland. Soooooo gross.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 05:50 AM   #1854
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
112 here today in Portland. Soooooo gross.

wow
Old 06-28-2021, 01:43 PM   #1855
thesloppy
Pro Starter

101 before noon today. We are looking at three successive days of all-time record highs.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 02:20 PM   #1856
rjolley
College Starter

We had 100+ for a week here in the Sacramento area. We had a camping trip planned and hoped it would be cooler. Nope, it was a few degrees hotter, topping out at 115 on Saturday.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 02:55 PM   #1857
Thomkal
Head Coach

Can't compare to those temps, but Tropical Storm Danny (the nerve!) is about to come ashore somewhere near the SC/GA border tonight.
Old 06-28-2021, 05:28 PM   #1858
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
101 before noon today. We are looking at three successive days of all-time record highs.

Worst episode of Portlandia ever
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 07:47 PM   #1859
Atocep
Coordinator

We hit about 110 today. I was actually sent home to telework the 2nd half of the day.

I posted a thread a few months ago looking for advice when it came to determining property lines for replacing the fence that runs along the back part of our property. Well, with lumber prices going through the roof we decided to look into replacing the 20 year old furnace that came with the house and adding a heat pump or AC. Once we got the estimate we decided to go with that and had a new furnace and heat pump installed about a month ago. Best decision we've ever made.

Last edited by Atocep : 06-28-2021 at 07:48 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 08:17 AM   #1860
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I heard on the news that only 40% of Portland has AC in their homes. That's one of those things that doesn't even register with me since I've taken having AC for granted every place I've lived.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 08:25 AM   #1861
Kodos
Resident Alien

Stay hydrated, guys.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:33 AM   #1862
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I heard on the news that only 40% of Portland has AC in their homes. That's one of those things that doesn't even register with me since I've taken having AC for granted every place I've lived.

Seattle supposedly has the lowest rate of residential AC ownership in the country.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:36 AM   #1863
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Seattle supposedly has the lowest rate of residential AC ownership in the country.

I have lived in both and AC is relatively uncommon. You really don't need it except for the once every 10 year heat wave like this. Rarely get into the mid 80s and always cools off at night. We had it in Portland and rarely used it. In Seattle we lived in a 5th floor condo. One summer there was a heat wave and it got into the high 90's. That was unbearable, I can't imagine what it would be like now.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:56 AM   #1864
Atocep
Coordinator

Before buying our current house I lived in one house, one townhome, and 2 apartments since I moved in here 2007 and none of them had AC. When we were house hunting last spring we looked at probably 20 houses and only 2 came with AC. It's very rare here. I'd say maybe 30% of homes and almost no apartments or townhomes have AC.

What makes heat here particularly bad is most homes were made to keep heat in so it can get really bad even in the mid to upper 80s. We ended up giving the 2 portable units we had away to friends last week trying to help out.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:32 AM   #1865
molson
General Manager

I experienced a humid 95 in Boston and a dry 109 in Idaho this week.

Next weekend though we'll be in Juneau. Where it's looking like highs in the 50s with showers. Usually in a heatwave I'll also make the drive up to Stanley where it's in the 40s in the morning and just hike around a little to reset. But that was the tradition with my dog that passed away, and, that would make me sad to do now.

Last edited by molson : 07-01-2021 at 10:34 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 05:44 AM   #1866
siona
n00b

Stay safe guys!!
Old 07-03-2021, 11:32 AM   #1867
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by siona View Post
Stay safe guys!!

screw that!

Live dangerously, guys!

Charge into that tornado with Helent Hunt and Bill Paxton!
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:29 PM   #1868
whomario
Pro Starter

My cousins neighbourhood had to be evacuated an hour ago, same with at least a dozen other towns all over the region as local dams (? Mean the artificial reservoir thingies) went over due to insane rainfall in the last 48 hours, up to 180 liters per Square Meter (dunno what that is in 'american' ). Many others living near rivers strongly urged to head to higher storeys or call for assistance.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:07 PM   #1869
Thomkal
Head Coach

wow Mario
Old 07-15-2021, 03:44 AM   #1870
whomario
Pro Starter

Didn't get any worse for her, but apocalyptic scenes all around

In another town multiple houses collapsed with more in danger, half a dozen dead and 70 missing ... Multiple houses entirely cut off with people waiting to get rescued off. Parts of 3 states were badly hit.

My town just at the edge, but evacuations underway as well near the Ruhr river. Nothing where i am myself (elevated part of town far from any water).
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 07-15-2021 at 03:49 AM.
Old 07-15-2021, 06:26 AM   #1871
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

That's scary stuff.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:42 AM   #1872
MIJB#19
Coordinator

And it's not over yet. The extreme rainfall stopped more than a day ago, but all that water still has to reach the ocean, which will take a week and a bit. It's causing evacuation after evacuation on the downstream route.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:36 AM   #1873
Edward64
Head Coach

Some pretty scary pics on the flooding in Germany (and Europe).

Germany flooding: Landslide kills 'several' as death toll tops 100 | Daily Mail Online
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 05:26 PM   #1874
whomario
Pro Starter

Didn't get any worse in my town, going to help clear out an old teammates cellar tomorrow after the fire department got through pumping out tonight. Some regions are just devestated though with nearly 200 dead, many still missing or trapped and many thousands displaced, many permanently.

And just now the Alpine region is getting hit with multiple regions declaring a state of emergency in both Austria and Germany.
Old 07-17-2021, 08:58 PM   #1875
cuervo72
Head Coach

Who's to blame for the fires out west?

Liberals and Mexicans!

Quote:
As the Bootleg Fire burns, locals are faced with the realities of climate change — and remain skeptical

In a row of small conservative towns, the flames are unlike anything they’ve seen before. Instead of concerns over global warming, though, there is blame directed at environmentalists, marijuana farmers and potential looters.

But good job by that pastor praying the fire away from his house.

(For now.)
Old 07-18-2021, 03:10 AM   #1876
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Didn't get any worse in my town, going to help clear out an old teammates cellar tomorrow after the fire department got through pumping out tonight. Some regions are just devestated though with nearly 200 dead, many still missing or trapped and many thousands displaced, many permanently.

And just now the Alpine region is getting hit with multiple regions declaring a state of emergency in both Austria and Germany.

Glad to hear it didn’t get any worse - the images are horrendous, and I can’t remember seeing anything on that scale in Europe before.

I read an article this morning saying that there were warnings 24 hours beforehand for the specific areas that were hit, but nobody (other than maybe meteorologists) could have imagined it would have been this bad
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:11 PM   #1877
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Glad to hear it didn’t get any worse - the images are horrendous, and I can’t remember seeing anything on that scale in Europe before.

I read an article this morning saying that there were warnings 24 hours beforehand for the specific areas that were hit, but nobody (other than maybe meteorologists) could have imagined it would have been this bad

Because humans have by and large been conditioned not to.

As an aside, our future chancellor Armin Laschet is hitting all the potholes, including spending a minute laughing like mad while standing behind our President holding a speech.

Also, i'll miss Merkel:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MdBdesGra...08486990659587

Woman in the middle is Malu Dreyer, 'Governor' of the hardest hit state and suffering from MS.

Not a fan of all her political decisions, but just a decent human being. Same day a Reporter from the biggest Yellow Press paper (and biggest total) was doing an interview in the crowd and Merkel pretty much told her to shut the *** up while Dreyer is answering a question from a citizen.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:02 PM   #1878
JPhillips
General Manager

There is now terrible flooding in China with at least three dams collapsed.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:43 PM   #1879
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
There is now terrible flooding in China with at least three dams collapsed.

This is a tremendous story that should be front and center. When I came across it I couldn't believe that it wasn't bigger news.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:06 AM   #1880
JPhillips
General Manager

Looks like somewhere from Long Island to the Cape is going to get a hurricane. The NE just isn't built for this sort of thing.
Old 08-20-2021, 10:50 AM   #1881
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Looks like somewhere from Long Island to the Cape is going to get a hurricane. The NE just isn't built for this sort of thing.

Naturally, I'm flying out to Boston for the first time on Sunday.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 11:06 AM   #1882
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

It looks like Nantucket could get brushed by it which could be very bad for them. They already have erosion issues.
Old 08-20-2021, 11:58 AM   #1883
Kodos
Resident Alien

My wife has a trip to Martha's Vineyard planned with her friend starting on Sunday. Friend so far has not gone along with my wife's plan B, which was to go somewhere west for the weekend instead.

Meanwhile, looks like our generator may gets its first test this weekend.

Last edited by Kodos : 08-20-2021 at 11:59 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 12:31 PM   #1884
JPhillips
General Manager

I'm in the Hudson Valley, but with the continuing drift westward, we're already expected to get tropical storm-force winds, so I need to fill up the gas can today and check the generator.
Old 08-21-2021, 08:33 AM   #1885
JPhillips
General Manager

We're now forecast for at least 4-6 inches of rain and hours of gusts from 30-50 mph. I'll be shocked if we don't lose power.
Old 08-21-2021, 09:03 AM   #1886
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So I broke down and bought a generator last week. Estimated delivery date this Tuesday. Tropical storm warning today/tomorrow of course....I live 2 miles from the beach.
Old 08-21-2021, 10:37 AM   #1887
Thomkal
Head Coach

I want to say I'm happy that it is missing us for a change here in coastal SC, but really don't wish a hurricane on anyone. Stay safe all of those in its path
Old 08-21-2021, 05:23 PM   #1888
Kodos
Resident Alien

Being married to a catastrophic thinker is not much fun when a hurricane is approaching.
Old 08-21-2021, 05:36 PM   #1889
JPhillips
General Manager

Moved a good deal east today, so we aren't expecting as much wind, but the rain could still be bad because it's expected to slow down Sunday afternoon and dump rain on the Hudson Valley all night.
Old 08-21-2021, 06:42 PM   #1890
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Being married to a catastrophic thinker is not much fun when a hurricane is approaching.

I take it Marthas Vineyard is off
Old 08-22-2021, 11:04 AM   #1891
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yep. They may try an alternative location after we see how things look after the storm.
Old 08-22-2021, 07:14 PM   #1892
Thomkal
Head Coach

Just checking in on my NE buddies on here-how are you weathering the storm? Lose power? damage?
Old 08-22-2021, 07:51 PM   #1893
JPhillips
General Manager

Still might get a few inches of rain tonight/tomorrow, but basically no wind and not a lot of rain so far. We just got lucky. At the moment, south, southwest, and east all have a lot more rain than us.
Old 08-23-2021, 06:46 AM   #1894
Kodos
Resident Alien

We got a fair amount of rain and some wind, but nothing major. Well after it passed, a transformer blew, so we were on generator power for about 12 hours. My wife ended up going to Cape Cod with her best friend after the storm passed. Said it was an easy drive with no traffic.

Last edited by Kodos : 08-23-2021 at 07:56 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:45 PM   #1895
JPhillips
General Manager

Ida looks like it will be a monster when it hits.

New Orleans has decided not to evacuate any hospital patients because most of the hospitals from TX to FL are full of COVID patients.
Old 08-29-2021, 08:28 AM   #1896
Thomkal
Head Coach

My thoughts are with FOFC'ers in Ida's path today. Hope you are all somewhere safe.
Old 08-29-2021, 10:28 AM   #1897
miami_fan
Coordinator

They are projecting that Ida will hit with winds of 155 mph. Katrina had winds of 125 mph at landfall.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 10:37 AM   #1898
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 11:15 AM   #1899
PilotMan
Head Coach

I'm watching a live camera set up on the coast of Louisiana and it's mesmerizing. Using the My Radar app.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 08-29-2021 at 11:17 AM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 11:35 AM   #1900
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
They are projecting that Ida will hit with winds of 155 mph. Katrina had winds of 125 mph at landfall.

Different kind of storm, though. Katrina was just so much more massive (storm surge) whereas Ida is more intense (wind speed).

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote