Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-05-2006, 11:01 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

NFL Draft: Underclassmen Declaring Early Thread

Maurice Drew from UCLA just announces.

Last edited by DeToxRox : 01-05-2006 at 11:13 PM.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:06 PM   #2
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Florida WR Chad Jackson too, according to ESPN
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:10 PM   #3
Easy Mac

Mario Williams N.C. State DE Jr.
Vernon Davis Maryland TE Jr.
Laurence Maroney Minnesota RB Jr.
Ray Edwards Purdue DE Jr.
Devin Hester Miami-FL RS/DC/WR Jr.
Bernard Pollard Purdue DS Jr.
Willie Hall Middle. Tenn. St. OT Jr.
Demetris Summers South Carolina RB So.
Michael Williams Texas College De Jr.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:10 PM   #4
SackAttack
Head Coach

When you say juniors, do you mean guys with one year of eligibility left, or guys entering their junior year?

If it's the latter, Drew declaring doesn't surprsie me; I would've thought he'd go last year if not for age limitations.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:10 PM   #5
timmynausea
College Starter

Someone posted this link to an underclassman tracker in another thread.
http://www.draftshowcase.com/UnderclassmanTracker.htm

The one that surprises me most so far is probably Greg Lee out of Pitt and it makes me wonder if Tyler Palko won't go, too. I'm not saying he's ready for the pros. I just can't imagine he wants to suffer through what might be a worse season than last year without Greg Lee.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:12 PM   #6
timmynausea
College Starter

I just noticed that Brian Leonard has announced he'll be back at Rutgers. That's great news for them.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:13 PM   #7
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Title changed
Old 01-05-2006, 11:14 PM   #8
DanGarion
Coordinator

I've officially announced to the NFL that I'm declaring for the draft!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:15 PM   #9
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Where will Demitrius Summers fall after being booted out of SC?

Will he get drafted?
Old 01-05-2006, 11:18 PM   #10
Easy Mac

I don't think his situation is much different than Clarrett's. He's always been a trouble maker, showed flashes of talent, but also showed he's a brittle as a 75 year old Floridian. The only reason he lasted as long as he did is because Lou Holtz doesn't care what his players do.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:19 PM   #11
RendeR
Coordinator

Maroney will be the Offensive rookie of teh year next season. bank on it.

The kid is a rock with racing legs on it...I watched a number of minnesota games this season, he is utterly amazing. On a better overall team he'd have given Bush a tight run for heisman.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:22 PM   #12
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Pope from UGA has declared, but Moses is still on the fence. He'll probably go. I'm just glad Tony Taylor is coming back.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:28 PM   #13
RendeR
Coordinator

I'd love to see Pope in Bengals Orange and black. He'd be a monster over the middle with palmer dumping it off to him when needed.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:30 PM   #14
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
I'd love to see Pope in Bengals Orange and black. He'd be a monster over the middle with palmer dumping it off to him when needed.

The Bengals have become the new Steelers when it comes to drafting Dawgs. It might happen.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:33 PM   #15
RendeR
Coordinator

Heh, yeah, we do tend to bark alot these days, especially on defense. Whats the deal with pollack? He was supposed to be some sort of monster and all I've seen is a pekinese on the feild.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:34 PM   #16
Swaggs
Coordinator

WVU saw three of the bets college TEs that I have ever seen this year. Pope of Georgia, King of VT, and Davis of Maryland. Pope has ridiculous size--he is like 6'8. King has great hands and seems to get open really well. But, Davis is going to be a monster in the NFL, I think.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:36 PM   #17
GrantDawg

Quote:
Heh, yeah, we do tend to bark alot these days, especially on defense. Whats the deal with pollack? He was supposed to be some sort of monster and all I've seen is a pekinese on the feild.

Hold out and then injury. He was already learning a new position, so it put him under the eight-ball. He'll have a good year next season. He's a hard worker. I'm just proud of Odell. He had a suspect past, and it is good to see him putting it behind him and doing well.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:36 PM   #18
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
WVU saw three of the bets college TEs that I have ever seen this year. Pope of Georgia, King of VT, and Davis of Maryland. Pope has ridiculous size--he is like 6'8. King has great hands and seems to get open really well. But, Davis is going to be a monster in the NFL, I think.

Davis will be awesome.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:39 PM   #19
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
Hold out and then injury. He was already learning a new position, so it put him under the eight-ball. He'll have a good year next season. He's a hard worker. I'm just proud of Odell. He had a suspect past, and it is good to see him putting it behind him and doing well.
Yeah I must say I absolutely LOVE Odell Thurman. The kid is a Maniac out there. he's good now, I can't wait to see him dominate games in a few years.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:10 AM   #20
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I love the Bengals contingent on this board.. I also think that pick number.. 20-something.. Wherever they end up.. 32? It would be great to hear Pope's name be called. Cinci is a TE short of insane on the offensive side of the ball. That said, I also wouldn't mind seeing Rod Wright in stripes either.. Though we'd probably have to trade up to get him.

Someone to take the O-line off Odell, a TE that can change games, and depth in the secondary would all be perfect. Specifically at safety. I have faith that Marvin will grab another 4-5 excellent players and continue to build a team that is already becoming a serious challenger.

Here's to the end of 15 years of disappointment, eh guys?

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 08:17 AM   #21
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Maroney will be the Offensive rookie of teh year next season. bank on it.

The kid is a rock with racing legs on it...I watched a number of minnesota games this season, he is utterly amazing. On a better overall team he'd have given Bush a tight run for heisman.

Sorry, I won't bank on it. I like Maroney and hell, you might be right. Maybe he is as good as Bush.

But Bush is going to get the publicity. If the two post nealy identical numbers, Bush would win it.

Besides, we have to see where each go before we can make any kind of prediction. Say Maroney slips because of a bad 40 time or something and goes to the Chiefs? Do you still think he wins rookie of the year?

Have to see exactly what situation he's in before I'd make a prediction like that.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 08:30 AM   #22
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea
I just noticed that Brian Leonard has announced he'll be back at Rutgers. That's great news for them.

Yes, that is big, especially since he might need to shoulder a bigger load early in the year while we work through the QB situation.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:14 PM   #23
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Stud Coug WR Jason Hill will be making his announcement one way or the other at 2:00 Pacific today.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:37 PM   #24
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Stud Coug WR Jason Hill will be making his announcement one way or the other at 2:00 Pacific today.
Hill's staying in school! w00t!

Cougfan Story
Old 01-06-2006, 04:45 PM   #25
Poli
FOFC Survivor

OG Rob Smith of Tennessee will declare. No word yet on T Arron Sears. Rob's leaving because Fulmer fired his OL coach. I didn't see our problems being the OL's fault, anyway. We had a hard time staying healthy on the OL. We dropped the football and fumbled the football.

Speaking of, rumor has it FB "Can't Catch" Corey Anderson is leaving school early as well. You may remember his drops in games such as Florida, Georgia, and Vanderbilt. You may remember the game costing fumble against Alabama.

Please, Corey, do me a favor, and leave. I'd rather have Holbert at FB anyway.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:09 PM   #26
timmynausea
College Starter

Omar Jacobs the QB from Bowling Green just announced he is going pro. Anybody have any idea where he would rank among the QBs in this class?
Old 01-06-2006, 05:11 PM   #27
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Omar Jacobs the QB from Bowling Green just announced he is going pro. Anybody have any idea where he would rank among the QBs in this class?

He's definitely in a group with Cutler, Leinart, and Young (if he comes out). I would guess he'd be the third/fourth qb picked. I saw him play twice, and was incredibly impressed with him. I think he'll be a good pro.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:11 PM   #28
timmynausea
College Starter

Dola to answer my own question - in this article it says he got a 4th round grade but thinks his stock will go up after the combine.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...ory?id=2283069
Old 01-06-2006, 05:21 PM   #29
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Huh. If I was him I would have waited another season. I think with another season of experience behind him, he could have been first round material.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:23 PM   #30
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
Huh. If I was him I would have waited another season. I think with another season of experience behind him, he could have been first round material.

He may still be. His pedigree isn't much different from Leftwich and Roethlisberger. I don't think he'll make it past the second round.

knives out
Old 01-06-2006, 05:27 PM   #31
bronconick
College Starter

Antonio Cromartie from FSU is going pro, despite missing the entire season. Either grades or having two kids by different momma's is influencing his decision, from what I read.

Ernie Sims and Lorenzo Booker are requesting evaluations. If I was Booker, I'd definitely go. He can make 500k sitting some team's bench and getting 2 touches a game in the NFL as opposed to getting 10 in Tallahassee for free. The O-line injuries and Jeff Bowden pretty much ruined Leon Washington's stock this year. Sims is a tossup.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 06:58 PM   #32
timmynausea
College Starter

Reports say that Laron Landry of LSU and H.B. Blades of Pitt will come out early. A guy I'm keeping my eye is Michael Bush of Louisville. I'm kind of surprised he is even thinking about staying.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:00 PM   #33
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Landry? I can't remember him.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:04 PM   #34
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast
Landry? I can't remember him.

He's a pretty good db. He was on the All-Freshman SEC team in 2003 and was second team all conference the past two seasons.

Last edited by timmynausea : 01-06-2006 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:42 PM   #35
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

It'll be interesting to see if Marcus Vick's name is in here soon.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:47 PM   #36
st.cronin
General Manager

I haven't heard any rumors of Wisconsin boys leaving early. About the only real candidates are Joe Thomas and maybe Brian Calhoun. Calhoun I don't think is considered much of a pro prospect.

knives out
Old 01-06-2006, 08:39 PM   #37
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
I haven't heard any rumors of Wisconsin boys leaving early. About the only real candidates are Joe Thomas and maybe Brian Calhoun. Calhoun I don't think is considered much of a pro prospect.

Scout.com said there's about a 60% chance Calhoun will go. Apparently Joe Thomas is coming back, but he is about to undergo an MRI and possibly tore his ACL at the end of the bowl game playing defense. I didn't realize he played both ways.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:08 AM   #38
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs

Imagine had WV played UCLA, they would have played with the nation's best in Marcades Lewis
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 04:19 AM   #39
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Honestly i think Micheal Bush will have a better pro career then Reggie.. call me biased if you want.. but i think M.Bush is more suited for the pro game
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 09:21 AM   #40
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
Imagine had WV played UCLA, they would have played with the nation's best in Marcades Lewis

*cough*Garrett Mills*cough*

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 09:22 AM   #41
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone
Honestly i think Micheal Bush will have a better pro career then Reggie.. call me biased if you want.. but i think M.Bush is more suited for the pro game

Biased.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 03:33 PM   #42
timmynausea
College Starter

Ngata out of Oregon is going pro. He's huge. A couple guys I'm less familiar with in Donte Whitner of Ohio State and Stephen Tulloch of NC State also announced that they are leaving early.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:54 PM   #43
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I think Michael Bush is underrated, but I won't say he will have a better pro career.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 07:21 PM   #44
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Reports say that Laron Landry of LSU and H.B. Blades of Pitt will come out early. A guy I'm keeping my eye is Michael Bush of Louisville. I'm kind of surprised he is even thinking about staying.

Cool name.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 08:24 PM   #45
Swaggs
Coordinator

I would love for the Steelers to get Michael Bush. He would fit into their offense perfectly, both as a big back and former QB.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 01:13 AM   #46
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
When you say juniors, do you mean guys with one year of eligibility left, or guys entering their junior year?

If it's the latter, Drew declaring doesn't surprsie me; I would've thought he'd go last year if not for age limitations.
I think the reason he is giving for leaving school for the NFL is hilarious...

Quote:
Drew said his decision to turn pro was to honor the wish of his late grandfather...

"My grandmother told me after the USC game [Dec. 3] that he had told her that he wanted me to go to the NFL.

"I'd do anything he wanted."
This must be a different family... "Listen here son, I know you're going to college and getting an education, and that is something that many of our ancestors didn't have the opportunity to do, but you have the chance to be a kick returner and undersized change of pace back in the NFL. I know you like school and are the star of the show at UCLA, but remember... your grandfather wanted you to chase mediocrity as a mid-round pick in this year's draft!"

Last edited by M GO BLUE!!! : 01-08-2006 at 01:14 AM.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 01:51 AM   #47
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
*cough*Garrett Mills*cough*

If it were all about stats Jerome Harrison would be called the best RB in the nation...
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:38 PM   #48
timmynausea
College Starter

There's less than a week until the deadline so there will be a bunch of announcements. Here are the latest guys to make it official:

Kai Parham, LB, Virginia
Ko Simpson S, South Carolina
Ernie Sims, LB, Florida St.
Anthony Fasano, TE, Notre Dame
Charles Gordon, CB, Kansas
Old 01-09-2006, 04:05 PM   #49
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:

Against the two best college rushing defenses he faced this year, Reggie Bush had 30 carries for 164 yards. Pretty decent, but not spectacular.

He was also held to 2 yards or fewer on 13 of those 30 rushes. I agree that he has loads of potential, but he's going to have to change his running style in the NFL. DeAngelo Williams, to me, has a more ready-made game for the NFL. Not that I'd necessarily take Williams before Bush, though.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:39 PM   #50
rjolley
College Starter

Anyone get the feeling you're watching Barry Sanders when you watch Reggie Bush...a back that will consistently get 1-2 yards running around, then hit one for 50 yards when he decides to actually hit the open hole? Especially with the line issues in Houston...
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote