Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-15-2020, 05:19 AM   #1
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Retro Bowl

Anyone else play this game on iOS or Android? It’s highly addictive and is good for quick games. It has light management and you can play for years. Obviously not FOF but pretty damn good.

Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:22 AM   #2
AlexB
Pro Starter

Agreed, really good game.

I’m in my 8th season, and although I get in the playoffs every year, I’ve only reached the Bowl game once. It’s kinda easy at times, but then I don’t win the whole thing.

Really good fun, and definitely worth 99p (or 99c)
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:07 AM   #3
Comey
College Starter

I've won the Retro Bowl 10 or 11 times, the last one going undefeated (as I have been able to build a really strong defense). I really enjoy the game...first one in a long time I keep on playing.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:12 AM   #4
Galaril
Pro Starter

Interesting do you need to buy coaching credits to make your team get better or can you earn them in the game? The game says I have four more games in the trial version . Version how much for the full game and does it unlock the full game or is it a mo yes pit
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:09 AM   #5
AlexB
Pro Starter

You earn more than enough in game to do what you need to do. No need to pay anything other than the unlock fee
Old 02-16-2020, 06:22 AM   #6
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Thanks for the recommendation! Just picked it up yesterday and it’s fun. I am terrible at passing, so I stick almost exclusively to the ground game at this point.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:46 AM   #7
Bobble
College Prospect

Cool game. I'm expecting the pass to land at the spot where the shadow of the dotted line ends but that doesn't seem to be the case. It seems like it goes way beyond that. Takes some practice, for sure.

Are you guys doing anything on run plays? Do you try to juke in the hole?
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:08 PM   #8
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I just juke to a sideline. I read that it’s a lot easier with a better back.

For passing, I find the underneath routes to a RB or TE or crossing routes are easier, especially with a QB with bad accuracy.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:56 PM   #9
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Interesting do you need to buy coaching credits to make your team get better or can you earn them in the game? The game says I have four more games in the trial version . Version how much for the full game and does it unlock the full game or is it a mo yes pit

I've never spent more than the 99 cents to purchase the full game. I have maxxed everything I can simply through playing.

Old 02-16-2020, 05:40 PM   #10
Galaril
Pro Starter

Thanks
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:20 AM   #11
Bobble
College Prospect

After playing a ton yesterday, a couple of thoughts/suggestions/spoilers(?). You guys tell me where I'm wrong.

- When you as a coach transfer to a new team, you seem to keep your extra draft picks.
- It's not too terribly difficult to turn a team around -- especially if you spring for free agents (who are WAAY overpowered to not be playing in the league). I'm sure that's intentional.
- I think they've nailed the game length. Just enough possessions and just enough real-life time.
- Probably obvious, but you can time your jukes to make a tackle miss in front of you like on a run play, make a tackler miss you from behind if you've gotten behind the D, or use them to angle for a sideline when someone is chasing you to give yourself another 5 - 8 yards. During the tutorial, I was like "Juke. Got it. Big whoop." but you use it a lot.
- Don't ignore the RB over the middle on pass plays. You don't see his route pre-play but my RB has (mostly unintentionally) caught a ton of passes to move the chains.
- On kicking and passing, it might help to follow the shadow of the ball. On passes, the ball should end up about head high at the end of the shadow of the dotted line. After kicks, you can follow the shadow of the ball to see what angle you kicked at, plus there's a little green crosshair where the ball intersected the goalposts.
- The more strategy-ish stuff I put in spoiler tags:
Spoiler

Last edited by Bobble : 02-17-2020 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:02 AM   #12
JPhillips
General Manager

Does it ever get more difficult? I played the four free games and won pretty easily every time.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:15 AM   #13
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Does it ever get more difficult? I played the four free games and won pretty easily every time.

I've had some easy stretches earlier on and have been more challenged recently (Year 4). I'm not sure if there's a built-in ratcheting up of the AI or sometimes I'm off.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:22 AM   #14
bob
College Starter

Get a decent QB, a fast WR that can catch, and then dump off to the RB if he's not open. Works every time.

Hopefully long term the defense starts picking on what you are doing and adjusts, but unless you keep jumping teams, it is easy to build a juggernaut.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:55 AM   #15
Flasch186
Coordinator

Downloaded, played, deleted.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:24 AM   #16
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post

Harsh, bro.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-17-2020, 03:04 PM   #17
Comey
College Starter

Quote:

Look a the very bad ass over here

Old 02-17-2020, 04:29 PM   #18
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Get a decent QB, a fast WR that can catch, and then dump off to the RB if he's not open. Works every time.

Hopefully long term the defense starts picking on what you are doing and adjusts, but unless you keep jumping teams, it is easy to build a juggernaut.

I've won 14 retro bowls in 21 seasons and this has always been my strategy.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:32 PM   #19
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I've won 14 retro bowls in 21 seasons and this has always been my strategy.

Dola

I should add that having a 4+ star defence also helps a tonne, especially if one or more of your key offensive players is a little injury prone. Being able to grind out a dink-and-doink 14-10 win without your star QB and/or receiver can make or break it in the playoffs.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:12 PM   #20
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Would definitely agree with the defensive mindset. Money needs to be spent on offensive players and defensive coach.
There are some quirky things with the time. If the AI gets the ball with 30 seconds left in the 3rd, their drive, no matter the result, seems to end with the quarter. A few other small things, but the game is fun. I've been building teams, winning a championship or two, then moving on.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 12:57 PM   #21
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I downloaded it but haven't gotten into it yet, but it looks fun.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:29 AM   #22
Bobble
College Prospect

Anyone tried a ground-and-pound offense long term? Something like 4 O-line and a RB? After a couple of years, seems like there's no way to run the ball but I haven't totally committed to the run.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:57 AM   #23
bob
College Starter

I haven't tried that approach, but I can't seem to run the ball at all, so I don't unless I am trying to run the clock out and want to waste a down. The short base to the RB out of the backfield is basically my running game.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:11 AM   #24
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I run the ball almost exclusively. I have a great RB with full speed and high strength. My running back ran for over 2,600 yards and had 37 TDs last season. About 50% of my passes are interceptions, mainly because I am still terrible at passing.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:21 AM   #25
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I run the ball almost exclusively. I have a great RB with full speed and high strength. My running back ran for over 2,600 yards and had 37 TDs last season. About 50% of my passes are interceptions, mainly because I am still terrible at passing.

Curious - do you play on Android or iOS?
Old 02-19-2020, 01:11 PM   #26
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Curious - do you play on Android or iOS?

I play on iOS. I try to do a juke move or two near the line of scrimmage on sweeps, but don't do too much more than that. Kitt Ragland is just a complete bad ass: 32 Games, 662 Attempts, 5,666 yards, 75 TDs.

My QB: 18 games, 90 Att, 46 Cmp, 7 TDs, 15 Ints.

I am terrible at passing.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:12 PM   #27
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I play on iOS. I try to do a juke move or two near the line of scrimmage on sweeps, but don't do too much more than that. Kitt Ragland is just a complete bad ass: 32 Games, 662 Attempts, 5,666 yards, 75 TDs.

My QB: 18 games, 90 Att, 46 Cmp, 7 TDs, 15 Ints.

I am terrible at passing.

Are those early seasons? Years 2-3 or so? I ask because I restarted and am in year 4 and I pretty much abandoned the run because it wasn't really effective. My RB wasn't stellar, though. Maybe that had something to do with it.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:43 PM   #28
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I am in yr 4 of my 3rd team. Playing with Detroit. Trying to focus more on the run this year.
After 4 games, my RB Javien Means has 248 yds on 62 carries and 3 TD.
QB is a rookie with better upside than the starter that won the SB the last season. After 4 games, he's at 86% completion. 734 yds (13.4) with 7 TDs. Not taking a lot of chances deep yet. My other QB had more TDs and INTs with a more vertical attack.

Running in the game is definitely dependent on several things. Multiple rushing plays in a row, and the AI will smother you. Watch the LBs. Don't run if they are playing outside, but if they are inside, you have a chance to break out. Also watch if the CB is playing deep. Seems to help. I do have a couple of long 30-35 yd runs. I am mostly 1-4 yard dives though.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 04:23 PM   #29
RainMaker
General Manager

It is fun and I like how it's just enough management to keep me interested. But I've found it easy. Won my first 4 games. Kind of wondering how easy it'll be with a juggernaut. They need a setting to increase the level which should basically be how their defense performs against you.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:30 PM   #30
RainMaker
General Manager

Played more and it actually got harder. Made the mistake of dumping my good RB for an all-out passing attack. Problem is I had no o-line and got crushed. Didn't think O-line mattered but I might be wrong.

I've found these are necessities:

QB with some arm strength
WR with speed
At least one decent OL
And surprisingly, I found a kicker important. I struggle with extra points without one. And it sure comes in handy at the end of halves to have someone you can knock a 50+ yarder home with.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:17 AM   #31
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Are those early seasons? Years 2-3 or so? I ask because I restarted and am in year 4 and I pretty much abandoned the run because it wasn't really effective. My RB wasn't stellar, though. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Yeah, early seasons. Years 2-3. Exactly.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:36 AM   #32
MIJB#19
Coordinator

In the free/trial version, I've found it pretty easy to go 4-0 in nearly every try so far. It looks interesting, but I (too) am interested to hear/read how it changes/evolves after 5 or so seasons. Anything worth mentioning that's more insightful than all of the above?
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:55 AM   #33
Comey
College Starter

That's really interesting re: run attack. I am Andy Reid in this game. I have two speedy WR, usually one found in the draft. I also have a solid RB (usually drafted) who can run, but usually doesn't have much strength. I might have a OL. And I pass the hell out of the ball.

I'm on my third QB with Philly, due to cap issues. My first one tossed over 350 TD in his career, averaging 50-60 TD and maybe 7-9 INT. That was before any updates, though, so I could simply throw it over everyone. Now, with my current kid, I have to have a more rhythm attack...but I'm still throwing for roughly 40 TD a year.

If I didn't have a stellar defense, I'd be screwed. There are shootouts where you have no margin for error, and even then, might lose because they get it last (or one more possession). Those are super frustrating, but make me keep coming back because it means I'm not winning every single game (which I did two years running, before I had some roster turnover and got crushed after starting 4-0).

Old 02-20-2020, 08:54 PM   #34
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
In the free/trial version, I've found it pretty easy to go 4-0 in nearly every try so far. It looks interesting, but I (too) am interested to hear/read how it changes/evolves after 5 or so seasons. Anything worth mentioning that's more insightful than all of the above?

The game definitely gets harder.

I'm most of the way through Year 5. In the first few years, I could take a speedy WR and he would almost always blow past the cornerback and be open if I got the ball anywhere near him. Now, Those automatic deep throws are long gone. Once in a while my WR will blow the top off but you never know when it will happen. And if it doesn't, you have to adjust to throw it somewhere else pronto. Most throws are in tight windows and if you don't hit it, there's good chance of interception.

The salary cap pinch bites in as well. You cannot afford to keep everyone. You have to choose very carefully. My second contract on my QB is 42M of what was 120M salary cap at the time. You end up making draft choices as much on salary demands as ability.

The game is a little too easy early on but it challenges you later -- or at least it does me.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:18 AM   #35
Comey
College Starter

I feel like the most recent update is fantastic (at least, it feels like it updated recently, and the results are dramatic. I'm noticing smoother animation and a cleaner presentation across the board...now you see which receiver is lined up where...it just looks and plays more fluid.

Old 02-22-2020, 11:00 AM   #36
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

my son started playing, and he's enjoying it...
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 12:19 PM   #37
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I’ve been enjoying this game too. I’m in year 7 and it does get a little harder. I feel like you always need a good QB and strong D, so the skilled spots can go through ebbs and flows. One fun trick that hasn’t been mentioned is you can rename your players. Go to the player card and click the pen in the upper right. You have a character limit, but I put in the Packer player names.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:48 AM   #38
Bobble
College Prospect

I was wondering about people's playstyles so I thought I'd throw up the stats on my QB. I'm sure there are better statlines (especially considering my 1 INT per game) but I thought it would be an interesting data point to post.

Signed him in the first draft. Here's his stats after 100 games. Skills are now 10 - 10 - 4- 5, $48M salary for 3Y, XP level 10. For the last few seasons, I throw almost every down. He just got injured for 2 weeks so I can mark down two sure losses coming up.

Last edited by Bobble : 02-23-2020 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:01 PM   #39
QuikSand
lolzcat

just found this (both the game and the thread)... yeah, scratches a tiny lil' itch doesn't it?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 05:21 PM   #40
AlexB
Pro Starter

It was good fun for 2-3 weeks, but it was ultimately too easy to keep winning
Old 04-19-2020, 05:39 PM   #41
Comey
College Starter

It is really easy, but I still enjoy it as a quick escape. Also, the amount of things that get added and adjusted on a regular basis is amazing.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:08 PM   #42
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
It was good fun for 2-3 weeks, but it was ultimately too easy to keep winning

That was my experience as well. I can see coming back to it after some time, though.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:29 PM   #43
Flasch186
Coordinator

the college football coach is pretty amazing.

‎College Football Coach on the AppÂ*Store

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 04-23-2020, 05:43 AM   #44
QuikSand
lolzcat

Fiddled with a “house rules” team - no players better than two stars. Still way too easy. Sigh.

It’s just frustrating to see someone put this much effort into a game, one that seems like it would really scratch an itch, but still miss so fundamentally.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:49 AM   #45
Bobble
College Prospect

The difficulty has been all over the map on this game it seems. I appreciate the developer responding to criticism but they seem to be missing the mark.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:06 AM   #46
Flasch186
Coordinator

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/colleg...h/id1095701497

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 04-23-2020 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-28-2020, 03:24 AM   #47
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:

‎College Football Coach on the AppÂ*Store

Just wanted to say I hate you for linking to that. That was a 9 hour time sink yesterday. So ‘just one more season’ addictive

Last edited by AlexB : 04-28-2020 at 03:25 AM.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:02 AM   #48
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Fiddled with a “house rules” team - no players better than two stars. Still way too easy. Sigh.

It’s just frustrating to see someone put this much effort into a game, one that seems like it would really scratch an itch, but still miss so fundamentally.

Not every game is for every person. I enjoy the fact that its not overly hard. when I'm time wasting I don't want to have to think that much to be honest. Sometimes you need a "toy" to just play with for a bit. This is that toy.

I've enjoyed jumping to a new team, renaming and redoing the uniforms and then building a beast before doing it again. =)
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:03 AM   #49
RendeR
Coordinator

DOLA

I've also found that its a lot like madden, once you figure out the correct combination of movements it doesn't matter how good the other team is or how shitty yours is, it will always work.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:52 AM   #50
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Just wanted to say I hate you for linking to that. That was a 9 hour time sink yesterday. So ‘just one more season’ addictive

Right I can't believe the depth he fit in that thing and keeps updating.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL