Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
QuikSand
lolzcat

One time bet in your favor... how much?

Hypothetical question, but take it as seriously as you can.

You have a one time chance to make a bet on a fair coin, perfect 50/50 odds on h/t outcome. Call it right and you quadruple your money. Call it wrong and you lose it. No replays, this will not be offered again.

You will have enough time to make your own arrangements to free up the funds from your own sources, but you are not able to buy insurance to soften the risk, to use any outside sources of money, or anything else that undercuts the spirit of the question.

How much would you bet?

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
Izulde
Head Coach

$50. I always operate on the principle of only gamble the amount of money it won't hurt you to lose.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
Logan
Head Coach

$1,000.

$4K is a nice score. When I gamble, $500 is my limit. At these odds it's worth extending that limit, and I can make up that difference by being more frugal for a couple months.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

bet $50, if lose bet $100, if lose bet $200, if lose again coinflip not your game.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

As much as I can literally afford. Getting 4:1 on a 50/50 bet made me cream my jeans even though this is only a hypothetical.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

So the expected value is doubling my money? Pre-marriage? Probably one of my IRA's (15-20K). Now? Would have to explain to the wife how this is a once in a lifetime but would probably do a couple thousand on the side.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
PilotMan
Head Coach

My first thought is a grand in my current financial situation. Enough that losing it isn't the end of the world and winning makes a significant financial contribution to my income.

I am not a gambler typically, so the fact that it's a once in a lifetime opportunity doesn't make that much impact on me.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #8
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Hypothetical question, but take it as seriously as you can.

You have a one time chance to make a bet on a fair coin, perfect 50/50 odds on h/t outcome. Call it right and you quadruple your money. Call it wrong and you lose it. No replays, this will not be offered again.

You will have enough time to make your own arrangements to free up the funds from your own sources, but you are not able to buy insurance to soften the risk, to use any outside sources of money, or anything else that undercuts the spirit of the question.

How much would you bet?

were you by any chance listening to npr radio today?
Old 04-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
MIJB#19
Coordinator

When given this opportunity, I think you have to calculate how much money you were planning on throwing away the rest of your life to any lotteries. Add that number up and make the bet. You lose? Never do any lotteries again, these odd will never come back to you. You win? Well, go you!
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #10
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post
As much as I can literally afford.

Rationally, this.

Does it change anyone's answer if it is an even money bet on a coin massively weighted in your favor?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Rationally, this.

Does it change anyone's answer if it is an even money bet on a coin massively weighted in your favor?

I bet it does actually, for a lot of people.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #12
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Only as much as I am willing to throw away.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #13
SteveMax58
College Starter

Probably about $5k. It would be a dent & I dont like losing money but I could deal with it.

But getting $20k would be a really nice chunk to & would really set me up much better.

5/20 is probably worth the risk/reward to me. Any higher would feel like a gutshot. Any lower would make me feel like I left something on the table that I could have had.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #14
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post
As much as I can literally afford. Getting 4:1 on a 50/50 bet made me cream my jeans even though this is only a hypothetical.

Quote:
Rationally, this.

But what does "literally afford" mean? A month's worth of disposable income? A year's? All your savings?
Old 04-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #15
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Rationally, this.

As far as expected value goes, it should.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #16
Buccaneer
Head Coach

To me, "literally afford" simply means what I am willing to flush down the toilet and not feel bad about it. Since there is no entertainment value (as one could afford to lose by playing a game), it shouldn't sensibly be more than you throw away without benefits to anyone.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #17
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Re: the original question, I'm probably in the $1000 to $1500 camp. Just don't have that much disposable income.
Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
As far as expected value goes, it should.
Yup, anything less than 100% would be lower, but I do think there is something to the sentiment (and I suspect many people would rather have a 90% chance of winning a lower EV proposition than a 50% chance of a higher EV).

Let's say we set the EV at $1.50 for every $1 wagered, would you rather have a 90% chance of winning 1.67x, a 75% chance of winning 2x, a 30% chance of winning 5x, or a 10% chance of winning 15x?

What if we upped that EV to $3 for every $1 wagered, so you can really start getting into some lifestyle-changing amounts? Would you start going for a high-risk play that could set you up for life, or go for a relatively easy and safe play to pick up a few thousand?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #18
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #19
cuervo72
Head Coach

"So, what kinda cash does everyone here have?"

Old 04-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #20
Autumn
Head Coach

Chance that half of the people in this thread get robbed by next week? anyone taking bets on that? "Oh, 5K you say? What's your location again?"
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:26 PM   #21
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Chance that half of the people in this thread get robbed by next week? anyone taking bets on that? "Oh, 5K you say? What's your location again?"

Ahem

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
You will have enough time to make your own arrangements to free up the funds from your own sources,

There not even half that much in the gun safe and its pretty darn inpenetrable as far as home safes go.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #22
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

EV doesn't play into this, does it? You want to make the high EV plays because over the long run, you will come out ahead. In this case, there is no long run. There is no eventuality of coming out ahead. You have one 50/50 shot and that is it.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #23
SportsDino
College Prospect

About $25,000, but I am a gambler type to begin with.

I rarely want a one-time rapid loss situation like this, but the favorable odds make it an interesting bit of speculation.

As for the spectrum of similar bets:

25% chance with 8 times payoff = $5,000
- Same expected value (2x), but risk of the one-time loss is important.

75% chance with 2 times payoff = $30,000
- Lower expected value (1.5x)

75% chance with 2.66666 times payoff = $40,000
- Same expected value (2x), lower risk makes it more interesting

This is not an unfamiliar situation if you are dealing with speculative situations like the stock market, while there is some reaction time in the market if you assume it is operating efficiently the arrival of previously unexpected information functions much like this situation. A common bet I have made in the past is 'will a merger happen in the next year for a company', often this is a bet of putting a bunch of money in there and it stays flat to soft gain/loss, but it is possible the merger will double the share value or maybe even the situation has the potential for a big loss (no merger and the company's value detiorates).

Information helps to weight the coin, but in the end you need to stake an amount of money and react to what falls out. Risk Aversion is important, it is all well and good to say what an expected value is, it is another thing to be able to live without a portion of money. If you had few obligations, you could bet the farm on this quadruple bet (assuming you can get a career as a farm hand) and in one situation end up with 4 farms and retirement, or in the other a loss of everything and the need to work 10 hour days again. I'd argue at 20-30 most people are actually better off gambling away whatever they accumulated to then, as long as you have your day job things will not be too much different in your day to day life.

The opposite, a 50/50 shot that ends up taking all your money is not too rare. Get sick, lose a job for an extended period of time, over extend on your house and it goes underwater... when you don't have much it takes very little really to wipe it out. This is why I think the need to take big gambles in life is an important skill to acquire, most don't involve handing over all your money in a one time quadrupling, but often there are chances that have costs (often in time and effort and risking your neck/ego) that have big payoffs that we summarilly reject due to the natural human risk aversion. The summation of all those 0's is of course 0, you only get the 'sure money' wins. On the other hand, it seems the modern world's sure money more and more revolves around driving or keeping people in bankruptcy, to the point that cautious hard work may make it difficult to survive, yet alone thrive.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #24
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
EV doesn't play into this, does it? You want to make the high EV plays because over the long run, you will come out ahead. In this case, there is no long run. There is no eventuality of coming out ahead. You have one 50/50 shot and that is it.

I think you HAVE to take advantage of the EV you have in this bet though. You will never (general public) find a bet that you will be getting 4:1 on a 50/50 proposition. I would live a very frugal lifestyle and save as much money as possible to make this bet.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #25
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Bet it all.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #26
Danny
Head Coach

I put 5000 down with 4:1 Payout and then bet someone else 6000 (giving them odds so I get 5000 back) on the other result.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:31 PM   #27
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Probably a months salary - if it paid out then I'd be very very happy, if not then I could cope without crying myself to sleep each night for the following year.

I concur with people indicating that big bets need to be made sometimes, however I'm content with my lifestyle and situation so really don't feel the need to risk it all (when I was younger and had no family I'd probably have rolled the dice and let them drop where they may).

Finally to the people speaking 'rationally' .... rational decisions are just a financial 'equation' imho - all decisions in life should be made on the basis of the long term effect to you in terms of happiness (raw cash me damned imho) ....

For instance the pure economic argument would be to bet as much as you can afford because of the chance of increased return, however for most people the amount of money involved wouldn't buy them long-term happiness, however the loss (if it occurred) could be seriously detrimental to them for a long long time (especially if it affected their relationships etc.).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:17 AM   #28
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsDino View Post
The opposite, a 50/50 shot that ends up taking all your money is not too rare. Get sick, lose a job for an extended period of time, over extend on your house and it goes underwater... when you don't have much it takes very little really to wipe it out.
This probably undercuts the spirit of the question as well, but if I was offered this in my current financial situation (mid-20's, zero debt and no kids/wife/sick or elderly family members I'm supporting, but not a ton of liquidity, few assets and a pretty weak credit history since I've avoided going into debt) I think the smartest play would be to max out a bunch of different credit cards and go big. I could probably get back to the same credit rating I have now before I have kids/buy a house if I lost the bet, but a huge win would dramatically change my situation over the next 3-5 years.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:45 AM   #29
SportsDino
College Prospect

I did not take debt into account, it depends on your alternative sources of income but you could probably chip in a bit from there. The problem is how long you want to pay for the downside scenario, credit gives that extra kick in the teeth on the loss that makes the psychological hurdle that much harder to overcome.

I mean, that is really the point of the question right, people tend to be wired to avoid risk and it shows in numerous studies of mathematically equivalent and even favorable situations. They even have demonstrated that the same situation worded differently can change peoples answers dramatically.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #30
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsDino View Post
I mean, that is really the point of the question right, people tend to be wired to avoid risk and it shows in numerous studies of mathematically equivalent and even favorable situations. They even have demonstrated that the same situation worded differently can change peoples answers dramatically.

(while I agree with what you say in the main - especially regarding wording affecting peoples decision making ..)

A lot of those studies though are wholly artificial in that they incorrectly state peoples judgements are wrong by purely analyzing net gain/loss as a sum total across hundreds of peoples decisions.

The issue however is that people making the decision don't get to be those 100 or so people, they're one single person making a decision and weighing up the emotional cost and gain involved.

As I indicated in my prior answer such decisions are generally not as hard and fast as indicated, they aren't a pure monetary gain/loss - its the potential effect of that gain or loss on the persons overall lifestyle and happiness which sways their judgement.

If someone is in a 'good place' then its less likely they'll want to risk it and would require considerably more inducement to do so than someone who has little to lose ...
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #31
dave731
High School JV

I'd take out a 401k loan for everything I had in there to do this bet. I set the terms for repayment so I'm good there. Yes it would suck if I lost but it would do so much more good if I won it would be worth the risk IMO.
dave731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #32
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I'd do $XXX. But here's the other part - if you told me I could have this bet be 4 different tosses (ie, I had this opportunity 4 different times, all in a row), I'd increase my baseline bet by 8x on each toss.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #33
Logan
Head Coach

So where's QS with the answer?
Old 04-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #34
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I think he is waiting for this answer...

2/3 of my money

Last edited by panerd : 04-22-2013 at 07:18 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #35
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
So where's QS with the answer?

Okay, note to everyone: you all lost. Damnedest coin ever. Make all checks payable to Quiksand.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote