Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-10-2003, 12:29 AM   #101
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor

Anyone pick up any good hockey preview magazines?

I always like the Sporting News ones.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:31 AM   #102
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

I was at the Thrashers game tonite for my first ever NHL game...

All-in-all, not too much different from an Albany AHL game (though much different from RPI games). The tribute they did for Snyder was real nice - they had a really good collection of video clips of his best moments. It was obvious that the tribute was very tough on the Thrashers - during their skate aroudn the ice after it all their heads were hanging sort of low and stuff.

But once the game started they didn't look too bad. Kovalchuk played the point on the power play. He was real godo there - made some great cross-ice passes. In even strength play, though, he wasn't as dominating.

The defense was very porous - there were always open Columbus cutters through the middle. Passe Nurminen looked wonderful in net - made some really good saves (and unforutanely I missed his one goal let in).

Marc Denis was awful - he made very few quality saves, and his two goals were untouched slappers from the blue line, with not all that much traffic. I didn't really pay attention to C-bus's young guys (Nash, Klesla).

With some luck, I'll make my way out to the game on Tuesday vs. the Isles. I"ll have to leave early, but should be able to stay about halfway through the 3rd period (if not even longer).

Hopefully my Isles will have a better game than the show they put on in D.C. tonite...
Old 10-10-2003, 12:33 AM   #103
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Honolulu_Blue
For the record, the Russian Five were as follows:

for the real, REAL record...they didn't call it the Russian Five, but the KLM line of Larionov, Sergei Makarov, and Vladimir Krutov, with Slava Fetisov and Alexei Kasatonov is the first group I would think about when discussing five Russians playing together.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:22 AM   #104
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by klayman
woohoo! Oilers are undefeated, 5-2 over the Sharks

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 01:24 AM   #105
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
GO OILERS!!!!

But they're not the Wild or Gophers...
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 01:46 AM   #106
JeeberD
General Manager

Exactly....

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 04:42 AM   #107
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Draft Dodger
for the real, REAL record...they didn't call it the Russian Five, but the KLM line of Larionov, Sergei Makarov, and Vladimir Krutov, with Slava Fetisov and Alexei Kasatonov is the first group I would think about when discussing five Russians playing together.

Yeah but Fedorov was not part of that. In Detroit, the five Russians the Wings had were called the Russian Five. Thats what they were talking about. Two totally different things.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 05:02 AM   #108
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by Draft Dodger

You're right about the KLM line. Easily the most famous line in Russian hockey history. But see Ice's post. Fedorov was refering to the "line" he played on in Detroit with the players I mentioned.
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 05:04 AM   #109
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Dola.

Wow! Nice way to start the season! Steve Yzerman gets the game winner with 1.7 seconds left! Fantastic!!

Steve Yzerman. There is none higher.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 10-10-2003, 08:57 AM   #110
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
H_B...what about Cujo?...You still dislike him?

I never had anything against CuJo to be honest. I don't recall him ever beating the Wings in a play-offs series. (This is typically the best way to end up on my most hated list.) I feel bad for the poor guy. Sure he didn't play great in the play-offs (not saying losing the series was his fault), but he deserved better, I think. Poor guy.

bbor, M-Leafs, what is your take on the situation? I can see justifications for both takes. The first, being happy to see him fall on his face and get his comeuppance after bolting for the cash and "a chance to win the Cup." Or, feeling sorry for him because he's a good guy and played well for your team.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:02 AM   #111
Blade
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by Pumpy Tudors
Now another banner with Grant's number is being raised to the rafters, while he's standing at center ice in tears. This is a really great job that the Oilers are doing. There are seven other games on that I could be watching, but I'm enjoying this more than anything. Excellent stuff.

I was absolutely amazing! I was at Skyreach for the game, and the crowd was just charged with emotion...watching Grant skate to his net in full gear just brought back so many memories...

That ceremony was worth the price of admission alone.

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 10:00 AM   #112
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

bbor, M-Leafs, what is your take on the situation? I can see justifications for both takes. The first, being happy to see him fall on his face and get his comeuppance after bolting for the cash and "a chance to win the Cup." Or, feeling sorry for him because he's a good guy and played well for your team.

Joseph bolted from my team once as well and my reaction is Tehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 04:31 PM   #113
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
I'd just like to point out that at 23(maybe he was 24) Craig MacTavish, who has nowhere near the talent as Heatley, was convicted of vehicular manslaughter and served a year in prison, and afterward put together an impressive career that included 4 Stanley Cup rings.

If his career is over, it will be because of the injuries and his mental state after the accident, not because of going to jail. And we certainly will not be able to tell at the end of this season anyway.

I read he could be sentenced to a maximum of 15 years so...

RE: Columbus
They were actually busy in the offseason because management feels they need to make the playoffs this season. I don't think their acquisitions will pay those kind of dividends.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 04:37 PM   #114
Karim
College Starter

klayman,

How's Brewer been in the preseason? He looked a little weak playing for Team Canada but I think he could still develop into one of the better D-men in the league.

Plus, he's on my FOFC team and I need to know whether he should start?
Old 10-10-2003, 05:44 PM   #115
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Karim
I read he could be sentenced to a maximum of 15 years so...

If he gets the maximum, sure. But MacTavish could have got the maximum as well (I'm not sure if it was 15 years back then) and MacT's was DUI, which is worse. I'm not saying he's going to walk away without anytime, but I seriously doubt he'll spend more than 1 to 2 years in jail. He might have difficulty coming back at 2 years off, but it's still possible at his age. He'll likely be out for 1 year anyway with the injuries, so no problem there. Anymore than that, then yeah, maybe his career is over.

Quote:
How's Brewer been in the preseason? He looked a little weak playing for Team Canada but I think he could still develop into one of the better D-men in the league.

Plus, he's on my FOFC team and I need to know whether he should start?

I guess it would matter who else you got Brewer is going to get ice time in Edmonton, and he's only the real offensive D-man they have. That doesn't equate to a ton of points though. I think with Niinimaa gone, you can look for Brewer to carry the puck a little more, and he'll get probably around 200 shots this year. I don't know if he'll get more than 35 points though. We leave the scoring up to the forwards.

As far as how he looks, I'm down south in Calgary with you so I'm pretty much looking at the same info you are looking at (unless you shy away from watching Oiler games on tv)
Old 10-11-2003, 12:00 AM   #116
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:

I think that Leaf fans handled it pretty maturly.There were some idiots on the radio saying the typical he deserved it type stuff,but i think most people realize that this is a business.I also think that most people don't blame Cujo for leaving,they blame Quinn and the fucked up Leafs front office for letting him go.

Personally...i hope he lands on his feet,but i think his play has really slipped.I think it started during his last play-off run with the Leafs...he looked very ordinary,which for Cujo is very rare.

Sadly i think that he may end his career without a cup

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 12:03 AM   #117
bbor
Pro Starter

Dola

Caught a bit of Fluery's start for the Pens tonight...they lost 3-0....but boy does this kid look good.....48 shots against...i know 1 game a career does not make,but i think he's gonna be the real deal.

BTW the Pens are freakin horrid....i pitty their fans

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 10-11-2003, 01:13 AM   #118
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Hey, if you guys have any good picks for lines on games, I'd love it if you posted them

Tonite, the Kings somehow went off at -120 on a moneyline (read, I bet $12, I win $10 if the Kings win). I obviously took the bet, and obviously it held well.

Also, the Avs went off at -1.5 for +120 (I bet $10, win $12). How do you not take that bet??? The Avs of last year + Kariya and Selanne AT HOME against the freakin' BHawks?!!?!?!?

Easy money...

Unfortunately I missed out on a moneyline on the Rangers over the Wild, but I still did well on the night - 2/3.

So please, post good bets that you find...
Old 10-11-2003, 11:00 AM   #119
henry296
College Starter

I watched the whole and was impressed by Fleury as well. He has great positioning but gives up lots of rebounds, but they go to the corners.

The rest of the team. Ouch. The Kings were on the PP for about 1/2 the game though.

Todd
Old 10-11-2003, 12:33 PM   #120
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
I guess it would matter who else you got Brewer is going to get ice time in Edmonton, and he's only the real offensive D-man they have. That doesn't equate to a ton of points though. ... As far as how he looks, I'm down south in Calgary with you so I'm pretty much looking at the same info you are looking at (unless you shy away from watching Oiler games on tv)

I've always liked Brewer and never understood why Milbury unloaded him. He had a poor season last year so I'm hoping he'll rebound. My defence:

Redden
Kaberle
Ohlund
Skoula
Brewer

I'm tempted to sit Skoula but am indecisive...
Old 10-11-2003, 12:55 PM   #121
klayman
College Benchwarmer

i'd probably go with Brewer over Skoula. Brewer's going to get more ice time and powerplay time, and that usually gets you more points. Of course, Skoula's going to get more points being on a much more offensive team.

Guess I'm indecisive as well. Of course the Oilers are on pace to score 410 goals this year
Old 10-11-2003, 03:04 PM   #122
Karim
College Starter

And the Flames are on pace for 82!

Last edited by Karim : 10-11-2003 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-12-2003, 12:46 PM   #123
Karim
College Starter

Well, I went to the season opener last night and it rocked. I can't remember a live game I've enjoyed as much as that. Other than the win, the highlight had to be the smooch cam focusing on two hot chicks who didn't disappoint.

Whoever has Kobasew on their FOFC Fantasy Hockey team has a really good player. He's only a rookie, and I know the early buzz for Calder is Tuomo Ruutu from Chicago, but Kobasew has speed to burn, is aggressive on the puck, and has offensive flair. He's also getting 2nd PP time, which turned into 1st PP time when the Iginla line had just been on the ice. He scored his first goal last night and I really don't think 20 is an unrealistic target.

Bring on the Greasers, klayman!
Old 10-12-2003, 01:25 PM   #124
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, we looked dreadful last night. No desire at all. And you Flamers always bring your A game against us, no matter how bad your team is. There go my 82-0-0 hopes.

As for the girls, last time I was at a home Flames game I was up in the lounge between periods (where else would I be?), and watched in astonishment as these two gorgeous girls held hands and playfully kissed each other as they walked to the bathroom. I damn well forgot I was at a hockey game, which is a nearly impossible task as my gf can attest to.
Old 10-12-2003, 02:10 PM   #125
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Whoever has Kobasew on their FOFC Fantasy Hockey team has a really good player. He's only a rookie, and I know the early buzz for Calder is Tuomo Ruutu from Chicago, but Kobasew has speed to burn, is aggressive on the puck, and has offensive flair. He's also getting 2nd PP time, which turned into 1st PP time when the Iginla line had just been on the ice. He scored his first goal last night and I really don't think 20 is an unrealistic target.

I do. I took him in both leagues I'm in. I'm not one to take rookies at all, but I have a hunch that all the pieces are in place for him to have a nice, nice season.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:18 PM   #126
bbor
Pro Starter

Leafs played as well as advertised in their opening game.

It only took till the end of the 2nd period for the Boo Birds to come out...mind you it was well deserved.

Oh well..it can only get better....right???

Old 10-13-2003, 04:20 AM   #127
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Yeah, Leafs looked real good Saturday night
Old 10-13-2003, 01:34 PM   #128
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Leafs played as well as advertised in their opening game.

It only took till the end of the 2nd period for the Boo Birds to come out...mind you it was well deserved.

I'll trade you Kaberle for Jovanovski or Lidstrom.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:52 PM   #129
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'll trade you Kaberle for Jovanovski or Lidstrom.

Now THAT is funny

Old 10-14-2003, 11:31 PM   #130
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
the Oilers are on pace to score 410 goals this year

Me and my big mouth.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:15 AM   #131
bbor
Pro Starter

Wooohooo Leafs have a tie!

Talk in town is that they won't win a game all year.

Old 10-15-2003, 03:52 AM   #132
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Sounds like Mogilny could be out for a while. Groin injuries, never, ever a pretty thing especially for a hockey player.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 10-15-2003, 04:03 AM   #133
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Hey! I just noticed something...

I am now "Hockey Boy"!

Mayhap I would have preferred "Hockey Man" or "Hockey Stud" or, even, "Hockey Lad", but I'll take it, as to avoid confusion with my "good" twin.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:26 AM   #134
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Congrats, Blue!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 11:19 AM   #135
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hey! I just noticed something...

I am now "Hockey Boy"!

Mayhap I would have preferred "Hockey Man" or "Hockey Stud" or, even, "Hockey Lad", but I'll take it, as to avoid confusion with my "good" twin.

I think Dead thing supporter would have been better

Who knows with Mogilny's injury...the Leafs guard injuries closer than latex on my cock

Old 10-15-2003, 12:00 PM   #136
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I think Dead thing supporter would have been better

Who knows with Mogilny's injury...the Leafs guard injuries closer than latex on my cock

From what we've heard about your wife and your "handle", I imagine you must be referring to the "Snug Fit" line Lifestyles is offering nowadays.
Old 10-17-2003, 01:17 PM   #137
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Hatcher's out for 4 FREAKING months. Damnation!

I knew it, I knew it, I knew it. As soon as he went down with the "knee sprain" I knew something was wrong. Just like Fischer last year.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 10-17-2003 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-17-2003, 01:19 PM   #138
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yep, just read that. 4-6 months, actually. I knew it wasn't good when he didn't even come back, but that's worst-case scenario.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 01:23 PM   #139
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Sucks for Hatcher. Good for the rest of the league.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 03:03 PM   #140
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hatcher's out for 4 FREAKING months. Damnation!

I knew it, I knew it, I knew it. As soon as he went down with the "knee sprain" I knew something was wrong. Just like Fischer last year.

Ahem.....Four to SIX months

Just had to push the knife in a bit deeper

Old 10-17-2003, 03:44 PM   #141
bbor
Pro Starter

Bad news for Bluenotes fans...Maccinnis has a deteached retina..he may be gone for awhile also.

Old 10-17-2003, 04:49 PM   #142
klayman
College Benchwarmer

and in other news, the Leafs still haven't won a game
Old 10-17-2003, 04:52 PM   #143
Karim
College Starter

Thankfully, none of these guys are on my FOFC team.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:29 PM   #144
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I have lost Zhamnov and MacInnis already

FM
Old 10-18-2003, 11:21 PM   #145
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Wow. Just got back from the Flames Sabers game...possibly the worst hockey I've seen played in a long time.
Old 10-18-2003, 11:44 PM   #146
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Wow. Just got back from the Flames Sabers game...possibly the worst hockey I've seen played in a long time.

Apparently you havent seen a Ducks game this year eh ?

Old 10-19-2003, 11:49 AM   #147
Karim
College Starter

noooooooooo........ klayman is right. Absolutely brutal...........

It's hard to believe that was a Sutter team. Very little effort and the top line is invisible. Iggy is not driving to the net, Conroy is always looking for Iggy, and McAmmond is watching the play.

I hope Sutter brings the riot act and sends these guys a message.

$7 million US for 0 points in 4 games is unacceptable.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:36 PM   #148
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Not enough hockey talk!

On the eve of watching the worst hockey I've ever seen:

Here's an article on 10 things to improve the NHL. I won't quote it for the lazy people as it is too large (sorry bbor )

Personally, I feel most of this list is crap. Brett Hull as commissioner? What a joke. Brett has admitted time and time again that he is not a hockey fan, which is what we truly need (feel free to start up a campaign for me if you are so inclined ). And the shootout is not the solution to any question that the NHL might have.

Wider ice surface (which will decrease obstruction) is a must as well as increasing the size of the nets and decreasing the size of goaltender's equipment. I also like the full 2 mins served on the powerplay suggestion. I would add a shorter season into the mix as well (which would happen with contraction, but should happen even without contraction) and bring back the playoff rivalries.

As far as bending the stick blades, that's just stupid. Today's players have enough problems hitting a target without the puck going all over the place.

Thoughts?

Last edited by klayman : 10-20-2003 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:44 AM   #149
bbor
Pro Starter

I saw the WORST hokey game ever tonight...Lasfs and Isle....horrid game.

Leafs keep this up and they will get a nice top draft pick next spring...if there is a next spring.

Not only that,but a few more losses like tonight and Mr.Quinn will be looking for work me thinks.

Old 10-21-2003, 01:47 AM   #150
bbor
Pro Starter

BTW Klayman...the only suggestion i like that does'nt disrupt the history of the game is to widen the rink,only problem is that the owners would never go for it,lost revenue and all eh.