Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-27-2006, 11:46 PM   #3651
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Maybe they should change the name to Minimum Football.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:03 AM   #3652
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
dola- and #63 is a little far back off the line isn't he? Maybe he is an eligable receiver.

LOL.....I didn't even notice him. Geez. But as far as the numbers go, David mentioned that particular numbers could be assigned to anyone. So 73 could be a wide receiver and 24 could be a lineman.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:58 AM   #3653
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister71
Uh....now this is an interesting formation. And the person who posted it said the play went ahead without any sort of penalty. Wow!

Everytime I look at that screenshot it makes me think of two teams both playing defense in front of each other. Look at the stances of the offensive linesmen, assuming that the white team is on offense, they all look ready to rush the quarterback, much more so than to drop back and pass protect. Also, based on their stances, can you tell me which of these uber athletes is ready to snap a ball? I mean, I've never seen a guy able to snap a ball in the sprinter's position...

And again, as was mentionned before, #63 is off the line of scrimmage by a good yard. I guess he felt uncomfortable with all these big guys crowding the space

FM
Old 03-28-2006, 08:17 AM   #3654
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Uh....now this is an interesting formation. And the person who posted it said the play went ahead without any sort of penalty. Wow!

Okay... one more thing on this. Assuming one of those larger fellas in the near three-point stance actually is a center with the football... how on earth do we think he physically gets the ball to #8, presumably the quarterback? There's something like 800 pounds of guys between them! Is this another Maximum teleportation trick?
QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:23 AM   #3655
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
Okay... one more thing on this. Assuming one of those larger fellas in the near three-point stance actually is a center with the football... how on earth do we think he physically gets the ball to #8, presumably the quarterback? There's something like 800 pounds of guys between them! Is this another Maximum teleportation trick?

It would have to be teleportation. #60 has the ball, it's behind his right knee. Combining the sprinters stance as pointed out above, with try to get the ball anyone to his right side (#8 or the guys in front of him), would be one hell of a sight to see. First off, the second he snaps the ball he is falling forward. Then, does he snap between the legs? Because the right leg is a major obstacle at his point, so maybe he snaps it outside of the legs.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:24 AM   #3656
QuikSand
lolzcat

And on Daivd's spelling... I guess he confused the word "demo" with one of the many, many words where you have to add an apostrophe-s in order to make it plural. It's such a long list, it's a very understandable error. *shurg*

Honestly, though... the concept of "attention to detail" is one that you either get or you don't. If you're applying for a job with me, and you leave grammar and spelling errors in your resume and cover letter, I'm not going to hire you -- because I think you've just tipped your hand to me that you are either (1) an idiot, or (2) not very good at completing tasks professionally. And in either case, I don't want you working for me.

Here, we have a designer who has released one screen shot after another, each one seemingly revealing just hideous problems with the game, that are *easily* spotted by the population receiving the screen shots. To me, he's basically making the same revelation there -- if he has looked at all these screen shots (or even just those that came directly from him, I've lost track of what's what) and said "yes, this is what I want people to see" without noticing the errant indoor/outdoor tagging, yard markings, stolen trademarks, mis-positioned players, and so forth... what can this possibly tell us about the product that he's working on? Attention to detail does matter, and not just to jerks like me who care about grammar and spelling.

Last edited by QuikSand : 03-28-2006 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:29 AM   #3657
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
And on Daivd's spelling... I guess he confused the word "demo" with one of the many, many words where you have to add an apostrophe-s in order to make it plural. It's such a long list, it's a very understandable error. *shurg*

Honestly, though... the concept of "attention to detail" is one that you either get or you don't. If you're applying for a job with me, and you leave grammar and spelling errors in your resume and cover letter, I'm not going to hire you -- because I think you've just tipped your hand to me that you are either (1) an idiot, or (2) not very good at completing tasks professionally. And in either case, I don't want you working for me.

Here, we have a designer who has released one screen shot after another, each one seeming revealing just hideous problems with the game, that are *easily* spotted by the population receiving the screen shots. To me, he's basically making the same revelation there -- if he has looked at all these screen shots (or even just those that came directly from him, I've lost track of what's what) and said "yes, this is what i want people to see" without noticing the errant indoor/outdoor tagging, yard markings, stolen trademarks, mis-positioned players, and so forth... what can this possibly tell us about the product that he's working on? Attention to detail does matter, and not just to jerks like me who care about grammar and spelling.

So I am guessing you too have decided not to hire him to cut your lawn? I'm a little worried he will try to lift the mower into the air and use it on the trees......
Old 03-28-2006, 08:44 AM   #3658
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:

Here, we have a designer who has released one screen shot after another, each one seeming revealing just hideous problems with the game, that are *easily* spotted by the population receiving the screen shots. To me, he's basically making the same revelation there -- if he has looked at all these screen shots (or even just those that came directly from him, I've lost track of what's what) and said "yes, this is what i want people to see" without noticing the errant indoor/outdoor tagging, yard markings, stolen trademarks, mis-positioned players, and so forth... what can this possibly tell us about the product that he's working on? Attention to detail does matter, and not just to jerks like me who care about grammar and spelling.

QuikSand, I understand what you are talking about if you applying for a job or presenting yourself to the public, but on an informal message board, it should be treated as though you are in conversation. As long as I can understand the gist of the message, I don't get all bothered. Each person's interpretation of good English varies.

For example, if I were you, I wouldn't have written this:
Quote:
...Here, we have a designer who has released one screen shot after another, each one seeming revealing just hideous problems with the game, that are *easily* spotted by the population receiving the screen shots...

Should I think of you any differently because you made a minor mistake? No. I get the gist of what you were saying and realize that mistakes will happen. I am notorius of editing after the fact because I didn't notice it as I skimmed through my message the first time, but I only do so if it is so bad that no one will understand my point.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:47 AM   #3659
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Ant, I'm not so sure Quik was really picking on anybody about grammar and stuff this time around but more about the whole way Daivd in particular, and the whole Maixmum Football debacle in general, has gone on to show us how bad this game is, from screenshot to screenshot, revealing stuff that even the least knowledgable (sp?) football people can see. Heck, I love football but I'm not the greatest with positions and techniques and seeing these OL crack me up real good

FM
Old 03-28-2006, 08:50 AM   #3660
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
So I am guessing you too have decided not to hire him to cut your lawn? I'm a little worried he will try to lift the mower into the air and use it on the trees......

umm....you're not supposed to do that?
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:53 AM   #3661
Bee
Pro Starter

The screenshots have been tons of fun. It's always fun trying to figure out what the heck he was thinking when programming some of this stuff. Granted, I don't know much about the CFL but I always assumed it was relatively similar to American Football. Looks like I was way off...
Old 03-28-2006, 08:57 AM   #3662
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
Ant, I'm not so sure Quik was really picking on anybody about grammar and stuff this time around but more about the whole way Daivd in particular, and the whole Maixmum Football debacle in general, has gone on to show us how bad this game is, from screenshot to screenshot, revealing stuff that even the least knowledgable (sp?) football people can see. Heck, I love football but I'm not the greatest with positions and techniques and seeing these OL crack me up real good

FM

I know. He once corrected me for a spelling error and I guess I am showing his mistake as well. Just showing that he can make mistakes too.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:59 AM   #3663
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I know. He once corrected me for a spelling error and I guess I am showing his mistake as well. Just showing that he can make mistakes too.

LOL!

FM
Old 03-28-2006, 09:00 AM   #3664
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
The screenshots have been tons of fun. It's always fun trying to figure out what the heck he was thinking when programming some of this stuff. Granted, I don't know much about the CFL but I always assumed it was relatively similar to American Football. Looks like I was way off...

don't worry, not CFL center I've seen snaps the ball falling forward or outside of his right knee either

FM
Old 03-28-2006, 09:09 AM   #3665
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:

I would be afraid to hire him because I know it will take him months before he arrived at my house with a custom built lawn mower that would pass for a barely functioning weed whacker.

Then if I went down the list of services that he promised to offer, he would have a completely different interpretation of them. He would show me that the flaws in my lawn are really features that can be molded into the image that I wish it to be.

And with all that, he woud definitely overcharge you when you could get Madden's lawn service to do it at a discount rate.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:10 AM   #3666
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
I would be afraid to hire him because I know it will take him months before he arrived at my house with a custom built lawn mower that would pass for a barely functioning weed whacker.

Then if I went down the list of services that he promised to offer, he would have a completely different interpretation of them. He would show me that the flaws in my lawn are really features that can be molded into the image that I wish it to be.

And with all that, he woud definitely overcharge you when you could get Madden's lawn service to do it at a discount rate.

Besides, dealing with the frozen tundra is much different than pruning saguaros...

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:11 AM   #3667
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Thank you. That is everything I could have hoped to post and did not because my imagination is still asleep this morning.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:13 AM   #3668
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
Besides, dealing with the frozen tundra is much different than pruning saguaros...

LOL! That's true.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:14 AM   #3669
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
don't worry, not CFL center I've seen snaps the ball falling forward or outside of his right knee either

FM

Maybe, but you have to admire those Canadians for perfecting teleportation. I guess William Shatner gave Canada the edge there.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:26 AM   #3670
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
QuikSand, I understand what you are talking about if you applying for a job or presenting yourself to the public, but on an informal message board, it should be treated as though you are in cnversation.

I think there is a vast difference between informal discussion on a message board, and a formal presentation of work in an important or professional context. That's exactly why I deliberately used a "resume and cover letter" example -- to make it clear that I'm talking about a circumstance where a best effort is expected by everyone.

I don't care if Daivd is joking around on a message board, having randon discussions about whatnot with the game's fans, and he is loose with grammar and spelling. I probably have made more typos at FOFC than most people have made posts, and I don't think it lessens my ability to take the language seriously. It's a matter of context, and I thought my pretty obvious example made that perspective clear.

When Daivd posts official items about his release -- he's doing something different than entering into informal conversation. He is offering up a product to be judged. He posts a screenshot that contains evidence of bugs remaining in the game, and I immediately respond with a "what was this guy thinking?" It's the same reaction I get from the hypothetical error on a resume... it's just a strong sign of bad things.

I'm really trying to avoid being hypocritical here... and I do understand your point. I hope you see mine. I really don't care about Daivd misspelling a word (though I do honestly think that adding superfluous apostrophes in an attempt to pluralize a word is an error well beyond making a casual typo, and suggests a broader issue with command of the written word), my point is the more general one about "attention to detail."

If I am offering written material in a professional or critical context, you can bet that I have checked every pronoun/antecedent, every than/then, and every punctuation mark, and so forth. Failure to do so, in my view, suggests that I'll be prone to laziness or errors on other fronts... and that's the same conclusion I reach with Daivd's public presentation of himself and his product.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:28 AM   #3671
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Should I think of you any differently because you made a minor mistake? No. I get the gist of what you were saying and realize that mistakes will happen. I am notorius of editing after the fact because I didn't notice it as I skimmed through my message the first time, but I only do so if it is so bad that no one will understand my point.

Point well taken.

Incidentally, one is notorious for doing something, not of doing it.

Touche, regardless.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:37 AM   #3672
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
I think there is a vast difference between informal discussion on a message board, and a formal presentation of work in an important or professional context. That's exactly why I deliberately used a "resume and cover letter" example -- to make it clear that I'm talking about a circumstance where a best effort is expected by everyone.

I don't care if Daivd is joking around on a message board, having randon discussions about whatnot with the game's fans, and he is loose with grammar and spelling. I probably have made more typos at FOFC than most people have made posts, and I don't think it lessens my ability to take the language seriously. It's a matter of context, and I thought my pretty obvious example made that perspective clear.

When Daivd posts official items about his release -- he's doing something different than entering into informal conversation. He is offering up a product to be judged. He posts a screenshot that contains evidence of bugs remaining in the game, and I immediately respond with a "what was this guy thinking?" It's the same reaction I get from the hypothetical error on a resume... it's just a strong sign of bad things.

I'm really trying to avoid being hypocritical here... and I do understand your point. I hope you see mine. I really don't care about Daivd misspelling a word (though I do honestly think that adding superfluous apostrophes in an attempt to pluralize a word is an error well beyond making a casual typo, and suggests a broader issue with command of the written word), my point is the more general one about "attention to detail."

If I am offering written material in a professional or critical context, you can bet that I have checked every pronoun/antecedent, every than/then, and every punctuation mark, and so forth. Failure to do so, in my view, suggests that I'll be prone to laziness or errors on other fronts... and that's the same conclusion I reach with Daivd's public presentation of himself and his product.

Oops, I didn't mean their message board. I was referring to ours. That message board pertains to a business and he does have to present himself in an entirely different manner if he want to sell his product. Ours doesn't. I was only getting on your case (and not seriously) because you like to correct people on this board from time to time.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:40 AM   #3673
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
I was only getting on your case (and not seriously) because you like to correct people on this board from time to time.

Actually, I don't even like it.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:45 AM   #3674
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Actually, I don't even like it.
But you do it because you like to hold yourself above everyone else.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:52 AM   #3675
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
But you do it because you like to hold yourself above everyone else.

Sometimes I wear a hat that says "I'm #1".
Old 03-28-2006, 09:56 AM   #3676
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf

My self esteem has never been that high. My hat says "I'm Top-10ish"
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:58 AM   #3677
Antmeister
Pro Starter

By the way, they updated the refund information. I am not sure how many people ordered the box copy, but this was posted today.

Quote:
Matrix Games March Refund Offer for Maximum-Football

Due to an error in our online store, it has come to our attention that some customers in the US, Canada & Australian stores may have seen a different refund policy than our standard "all sales are final" policy which we've had for years. We want to make sure that we deal with our customers fairly and because of this store error we are offering a one-time refund for Maximum-Football to our US, Canada & Australian customers only. If you placed your order through the UK or Europe stores, our standard 14 day refund policy applies.

If you are interested in a refund on your copy of Maximum-Football purchased between March 1st through March 23rd, please read the below carefully to make sure your refund request is processed smoothly.

Refund Criteria

1. You must have placed the order between March 1st and March 23rd via the US, Canada or Australian store in order for this offer to apply. If you placed your order through the UK or Europe stores, our standard 14 day refund policy applies.

2. This is for both a Physical & Digital Return;

Write an e-mail to [email protected] with the following information.

Subject: March Refund Offer for Maximum-Football

Please include: Your Name
Your Order Number & Serial Number
Whether this is for a physical (boxed) copy or a digital download
*For a physical (boxed) refund; Please follow the additional instructions below*

Include a statement that reads;

I (place your name here) have erased any & all copies of Maximum-Football from any computer it was downloaded on to and/or installed on to along with any copies of the serial number. I also state that I have not transferred ownership of or sold any copies of Maximum-Football to anyone else since the time of purchase.

Your refund will be processed after all above information has been received.

For a physical (boxed) refund:

Please mail the product to us & include a printout of the above requested e-mail and statement. Once we receive the product & your statement along with your order info, your refund will be processed.

Please send games & Statement to:

Attention Maximum-Football Returns
Matrix Games
150L Greaves Lane
Suite #463
Staten Island, NY 10308

All refund requests must be received by March 31st to be eligible for this offer. Any requests received after 5PM EST, March 31st will be ineligible for this offer.

(If you send in a refund request and do not receive confirmation that it has been received before this deadline, please re-send it to make sure that it has not been intercepted by a spam filter along the way.)
Old 03-28-2006, 10:24 AM   #3678
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

Just popping up:
Still no word on a demo anytime soon ?
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:27 AM   #3679
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkiller
Just popping up:
Still no word on a demo anytime soon ?

LOL....I am still waiting for a game to be released. Right now they are in the alpha stage, but give it another year and it should be in beta.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:45 AM   #3680
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Sometimes I wear a hat also. We are more alike than perhaps you'd care to admit...

Crim
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 11:12 AM   #3681
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim
Sometimes I wear a hat also. We are more alike than perhaps you'd care to admit...

Crim

Are you short and blue too?
Old 03-28-2006, 11:13 AM   #3682
Crim
College Benchwarmer

I... I... perhaps I've said too much!
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 11:30 AM   #3683
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
Are you short and blue too?

don't forget enormous wang
Old 03-28-2006, 11:42 AM   #3684
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
don't forget enormous wang

Bigger than this one?

Old 03-28-2006, 11:44 AM   #3685
rkmsuf
Head Coach

that one has more girth than mine
Old 03-28-2006, 11:47 AM   #3686
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
that one has more girth than mine

and how about this one Wang?

FM
Old 03-28-2006, 11:48 AM   #3687
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Old 03-28-2006, 12:12 PM   #3688
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD
My self esteem has never been that high. My hat says "I'm Top-10ish"

Coke burning my nostrils.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:24 PM   #3689
bbor
Pro Starter

Boys, boys...This game is customizable baby.There is no need for a center to snap the ball in these screenshot.....A helicopter passes over head and drops the ball into play.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:26 PM   #3690
RedKingGold
College Starter

I hope this post creates page #75!!!!
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:27 PM   #3691
RedKingGold
College Starter

Damn, it didn't...
Old 03-28-2006, 12:27 PM   #3692
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold
Damn, it didn't...

LOL

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:37 PM   #3693
RedKingGold
College Starter

Okay, I'm going to bet you all.

If this post does not create page #75, I will buy Maximum Football
Old 03-28-2006, 12:40 PM   #3694
RedKingGold
College Starter

Wait....but isn't Australia like 6 months behind America in real time???/
Old 03-28-2006, 12:47 PM   #3695
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold
Okay, I'm going to bet you all.

If this post does not create page #75, I will buy Maximum Football

ouch
Old 03-28-2006, 12:53 PM   #3696
wade moore
lolzcat

I know everyone is enjoying this, but doesn't RKG realize that it's not a mystery as to what causes a post to go to a new page?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:55 PM   #3697
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
I know everyone is enjoying this, but doesn't RKG realize that it's not a mystery as to what causes a post to go to a new page?

maybe he thinks it's totally random, say between 44 and 55 posts, boom, new page!!!

FM
Old 03-28-2006, 12:56 PM   #3698
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore

Maybe he's using Daivd's "bulletin board new page predictor" program?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:58 PM   #3699
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
Maybe he's using Daivd's "bulletin board new page predictor" program?
He was expecting the new page threshold to be customized.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 03-28-2006 at 12:58 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:58 PM   #3700
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
maybe he thinks it's totally random, say between 44 and 55 posts, boom, new page!!!

FM

I was actually thinking it was the teleportation theory similar to the thread's name-sake.

One minute it is 74 pages...and POFF.....now its 75