Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-18-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Kick-Ass

Clearly, this movie deserves its own thread. It is definitely better than Mark Millar's other comic-movie, Wanted (although I thought that one was good). We saw it yesterday and the wife liked it better than Avatar.

Hit Girl simply stole the show.

Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
Travis
Pro Rookie

Felt like Watchmen Jr. to me (which is a good thing, I'm a big fan of Watchmen). Was actually a bit worried at the start that a movie like this could inspire a lot of people to try this out in day to day life, but the "realism" that followed put a lot of those worries to rest. Found myself enjoying the movie more and more as it went along and may catch it again in theaters (a rarity for me) to see how it stands up to a second viewing.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:46 AM   #3
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Would have been much better if it were titled Hit Girl. Awesome when she was on-screen, dragged when she wasn't.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

{scratches head} Based on the trailers, I've been wondering how this was going to pull .50 in revenue, I'm guessing that I'm definitely not the target.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I was unable to see it this weekend, but I will be seeing it next week. I'm a little wary of Nicolas Cage as Big Daddy. Never been a huge Nicolas Cage fan and I just did not picture him as the Big Daddy character from the comic. I'm still seeing it as the Hit-Girl character looks hilarious.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:46 AM   #6
NewIdentity
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
{scratches head} Based on the trailers, I've been wondering how this was going to pull .50 in revenue, I'm guessing that I'm definitely not the target.
With the "R" rating and Cage you would think their target audience is the 29-45 crowd as a kind of "Hip single Dad" movie.

I myself, do not understand the logic of the "R" rating of this film. I think it would have been a better draw with a PG-13 rating, playing more to the 15-25 market.
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan

Last edited by NewIdentity : 04-19-2010 at 02:46 AM.
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:00 AM   #7
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIdentity View Post
With the "R" rating and Cage you would think their target audience is the 29-45 crowd as a kind of "Hip single Dad" movie.

I myself, do not understand the logic of the "R" rating of this film. I think it would have been a better draw with a PG-13 rating, playing more to the 15-25 market.

I disagree. This was aimed at 18-35, which, of course, is a good demographic to try to catch.

It might have been a better draw as a PG-13, but I think the "realism" of the movie would have significantly dulled its impact.

My guess is strong word of mouth will spread on this one and buoy it a little more than most genre movies usually are in their second and third weekends. I don't know that many people were really too sure what this was all about, so they would need the push from friends to go see it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:03 PM   #8
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIdentity View Post

So you've never read the comic then?

Old 04-19-2010, 07:54 PM   #9
Bee
Pro Starter

My wife and I saw it this weekend and we both loved it. Just about everyone in the theatre were at least late 20's and mostly 30's and 40's. Maybe that had to do with the theatre we went though, but it did seem to be targeted to the 20-40 crowd.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #10
Raiders Army
Coordinator

In the "Last Movie You Watched" thread, somebody said they didn't like Nicholas Cage movies; I agree. However, he was very good in this movie, especially in the Adam West mannerisms.

Spoiler
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:40 AM   #11
NewIdentity
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
So you've never read the comic then?

Nope , never read the comic.

Funny, from the previews I was thinking it was something I could take my 60 year old Dad to. I guess I better pick another movie.
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan

Last edited by NewIdentity : 04-20-2010 at 07:40 AM.
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:15 AM   #12
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I caught Kick-Ass this weekend at the theater. Having read the comic, I probably ruined the movie for myself since I really enjoyed the comic. The movie was definitely solid, but there were at least two major story lines in the comic that were different from the movie. In both cases I preferred the comic to the movie. Still I would recommend it as a budget movie or dvd rental later.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #13
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I read the comic last night, I thought it was fairly decent however not as groundbreaking as the 'WANTED' graphic novel.

Glad to hear the film is better than the Wanted interpretation as that sucked right royally imho, especially as the comic was just fantastic ... a really novel idea executed incredibly well imho.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:32 AM   #14
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Spoiler

He was saying how proud he was of his daughter and how much he loved her etc.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:00 AM   #15
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
I read the comic last night, I thought it was fairly decent however not as groundbreaking as the 'WANTED' graphic novel.

Glad to hear the film is better than the Wanted interpretation as that sucked right royally imho, especially as the comic was just fantastic ... a really novel idea executed incredibly well imho.

Thanks for the reminder. I keep wanting to read Wanted, but always forget to borrow it from a friend.

There really wasn't anything groundbreaking about Kick-Ass the comic, but I just loved the twists.

PS: Thanks to anyone who can explain how to add the spoiler tag.

Last edited by the_meanstrosity : 04-26-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:03 AM   #16
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

{spoiler}{/spoiler}

but instead of {} use []
Old 04-26-2010, 02:30 PM   #17
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
He was saying how proud he was of his daughter and how much he loved her etc.

There was also talk about when she got shot and he made a comment about the velocity of the bullet.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:49 PM   #18
korme
Go Reds

use the fucking spoiler tags ppl
korme is offline   Reply With Quote