Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #151
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

This whole CBC getting screwed annoys me.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #152
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
This whole CBC getting screwed annoys me.

Curious what this means for Cherry.

If I read everything right, CBC has HNIC for 4 more years, but Rogers is controlling all aspects of it?

I vote they replace him with Rob Ford.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #153
bbor
Pro Starter

Rogers is lending the programing to the cbc.All cbc "HNIC" crews are part of Rogers now.CBC could not afford to renew the HNIC deal,this is the only way they could have kept the programing.

What does CBC get out of it? A million viewers every Saturday night who will be subjected to the promos for other shows on the network,and they don't have to spend money on filling 4 hours of programing that would more than likely not get them even close to the million plus viewers they had during HNIC.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:12 AM   #154
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Really glad I didn't 'DaddyTorgo' that Leafs-Pens game last night in the 2nd period.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #155
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I don't really care about the CBC losing control of HNIC, but I am disappointed that it's Sportsnet gaining that control and not TSN. TSN telecasts are on a completely different level than Sportsnet and unless Sportsnet can raise their game quick the quality drop between this year and next is going to be substantial.

The other disappointment for me is that CBC and TSN are both part of most 'basic' cable packages, whereas Sportsnet is usually an add-on. For me to watch games outside of CBC next year I'll be looking at tacking another $6/month onto my cable bill.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #156
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Really glad I didn't 'DaddyTorgo' that Leafs-Pens game last night in the 2nd period.

On the flip side, I'm glad I started to FF through the Bruins-Red Wings game after the first 4 goals. Saved me a bunch of time.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 11-28-2013 at 10:23 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #157
Logan
Head Coach

Lundqvist extension is done, 7 years at about $8.2MM AAV from what I've seen.

A bit more than I was expecting but not much way around it.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #158
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Sounds about right. It's pretty much what Rask got, no? I figured Lundqvist's money would be very similar.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 12-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #159
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Wings will be without both Datsyuk and Zetterberg for at least the next three games. Datsyuk is suffering from concussion like symptoms after getting elbowed in the head by Cowen and his missed the last few games. Zetterberg has a herniated disc in his back and will be out a minimum of two weeks.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #160
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Sounds about right. It's pretty much what Rask got, no? I figured Lundqvist's money would be very similar.

Best post on HF, referencing Cam Talbot's hot start to his Rangers career-

"That's alot of $$$ for a backup"

Dreger and others reporting $8.5MM, but at that point what's the difference?

There was no way NY wasn't signing him, although he'll be 39 at the end of that deal. But no major injury concerns.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #161
Logan
Head Coach

Yeah I have no problem with it, even if the cap wasn't going to increase. People who were against bringing him back wanted the money spent on offense, as if premium scorers constantly hit FA. Not to mention they would spend at least $4MM on a goalie anyway, so you're talking about the difference between your normal 3rd liner salary and the overpaid Clarksons/Clowes of the world. Give me Hank.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #162
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

If you want two points from the Ducks, just manage to get them to a shootout. They are abysmal there.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #163
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah I have no problem with it, even if the cap wasn't going to increase. People who were against bringing him back wanted the money spent on offense, as if premium scorers constantly hit FA. Not to mention they would spend at least $4MM on a goalie anyway, so you're talking about the difference between your normal 3rd liner salary and the overpaid Clarksons/Clowes of the world. Give me Hank.

And he was already around $7MM, no? So if the cap only goes up $1.5M, they've broken even.

Plus, Richards HAS to be a buyout this summer, right?
Old 12-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #164
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
And he was already around $7MM, no? So if the cap only goes up $1.5M, they've broken even.

Plus, Richards HAS to be a buyout this summer, right?

Yes to both.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #165
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Umm ... all hell breaking loose in Boston tonight?
Old 12-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #166
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

I'm DVR-ing it so I can watch the BC-UNH game first, but based on what you've just said, I'm looking forward to it. Just extended the end time by an extra half hour .
Old 12-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #167
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

<--- Pens fan here.

Yeah, there is all hell breaking loose. I would guess lengthy suspensions for players from both teams.

Spoiler
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #168
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Shawn Thornton in recent interview. I usually save the word fraud to deride Claude Giroux, but no better word for Thornton.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #169
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Neal should be out of this fucking game too - how you only get 2 minutes for kneeing a dude in the head intentionally is beyond me.

Also - you can clearly see on the replay that Orpik goes head-hunting - just as Neal went head-hunting.

As much as I love Orpik (BC boy represent), he fucking got what he deserved. Bush league play by Thornton yes, but bush league hit by Orpik in the first place.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 12-07-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:36 AM   #170
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
As much as I love Orpik (BC boy represent), he fucking got what he deserved. Bush league play by Thornton yes, but bush league hit by Orpik in the first place.

Seriously?
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #171
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
Seriously?

My thoughts exactly...
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #172
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
I usually save the word fraud to deride Claude Giroux

Hey now...
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #173
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

This "police themselves" mantra is getting comical.

Ban fighting, get better helmets, absorb the temporary loss of goon-fans - it's not as if salaries don't indicate the game is moderately healthy and can handle the loss.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #174
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Just watched it on TSN... I think what neal did was worse, but the bad bad injury to Orpik is going to play more for suspensions.

were I in charge, they would both get the chance to beg for forgiveness next training camp.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #175
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
Seriously?

He launches his shoulder at Erikson's head, so yes.

And believe me, 99.9% of the time I back my fellow Maroon-n-Gold alum to the hilt, but that was a bad hit.

Horrible hit on Erikson too, who is just coming off a concussion this season. And double-especially when you consider the Cooke/Savard history.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 12-08-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #176
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
This "police themselves" mantra is getting comical.

Ban fighting, get better helmets, absorb the temporary loss of goon-fans - it's not as if salaries don't indicate the game is moderately healthy and can handle the loss.

I'm actually going with the commentators on this one. If there had (rightly) been a penalty called, or if Orpik had accepted the fight with Thornton earlier then it would have been settled. The fact that he skated away from it was the issue.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #177
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
Just watched it on TSN... I think what neal did was worse, but the bad bad injury to Orpik is going to play more for suspensions.

were I in charge, they would both get the chance to beg for forgiveness next training camp.

Erikson's got a concussion. Orpik's got a concussion.

I'd say "an eye for an eye" operated pretty well here.

Pittsburgh should count themselves lucky Thornton didn't go after Neal IMO.

edit: I'm obviously coming at this from an emotionally-charged angle.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 12-08-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #178
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
I'm actually going with the commentators on this one. If there had (rightly) been a penalty called, or if Orpik had accepted the fight with Thornton earlier then it would have been settled. The fact that he skated away from it was the issue.

And what does that solve?

Why should the players, in the emotion of the moment, decide whether Orpik's original hit was suspension-worthy?

Or do you get away with dangerous, outside-the-lines hits if you're good enough at fighting to handle a Thornton assault?

This "police themselves" mentality doesn't hold up to logic. What we do know is that there are serious life-altering issues both for those who fight and for those who continue to accept wearing a helmet that doesn't protect them very well.

It was only 17 years ago that the last helmet-less player retired. People said that would ruin the game. Anyone still making that argument?

I think we need an NFL-like campaign to remove dangerous hits from the game. Corollary being NFL-like penalties for taking a swing at someone.

The NFL is doing just fine without linemen occasionally removing their helmets and engaging in a fist-fight.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #179
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post

The NFL is doing just fine without linemen occasionally removing their helmets and engaging in a fist-fight.

We already have that - it's called Sumo wrestling.

As an aside - think about that for a minute, wouldn't it be amusing (lineman fights)?
Old 12-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #180
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
As an aside - think about that for a minute, wouldn't it be amusing (lineman fights)?

With the size and speed and strength training of some of those guys, plus the ability to use their feet as a proper anchor for leverage?

Um... we'd be dealing with more than a few deaths every year. Not amusing.

It's long past the time that fighting in the NHL makes sense. It's an anachronism from the feudal days of hockey. I think it has held back the sport for decades.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #181
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

FWIW I'm not one of those guys who's all "fighting is integral to hockey...yay fighting!" or anything.

I could take it or leave it. Getting rid of it wouldn't affect my enjoyment of the game. I enjoy college hockey just as much for example, and they don't let them fight there.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #182
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Anyone who thinks the Orpik hit was bad...I don't know what to tell you. Please give up watching hockey. Initial point of contact is the chest. Unfortunate injury, but if you can't make that hit, take out all hitting.

If Eriksson is at risk for another concussion, keep him off the ice. Not Orpik's responsibility.

Neal's knee will get him suspended. Totally 'accidental on purpose'. But if you can't separate borderline dirty stuff in game play from someone pulling garbage after skating 80 feet down the ice, you need to re-evaluate.

Neal's knee is no different than Chara's hit on MaxPac a few years back. There's gameplay action, then there is Shawn Thornton, Marty McSorley, Todd Bertuzzi.

And the "Orpik didn't oblige Thornton" bull shit?? How pathetic. I find Marchand a rat-faced bitch. I asked him to stab himself with his own skate, but he won't. So, the knee to the head should suffice. Seems logical, right?

I'll repeat. Thornton is a FRAUD. Talk about fake. One week ago, saying he's honorable. BULLSHIT. If the thought didn't cross his mind that he shouldn't jump a guy while he skated the length of the ice, I'm not sure how he ties his own skates. That's not a "heat of the moment" reaction...there was 8 seconds in between.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #183
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
Hey now...

Old 12-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #184
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Anyone who thinks the Orpik hit was bad...I don't know what to tell you. Please give up watching hockey. Initial point of contact is the chest. Unfortunate injury, but if you can't make that hit, take out all hitting.

If Eriksson is at risk for another concussion, keep him off the ice. Not Orpik's responsibility.

Neal's knee will get him suspended. Totally 'accidental on purpose'. But if you can't separate borderline dirty stuff in game play from someone pulling garbage after skating 80 feet down the ice, you need to re-evaluate.

Neal's knee is no different than Chara's hit on MaxPac a few years back. There's gameplay action, then there is Shawn Thornton, Marty McSorley, Todd Bertuzzi.

And the "Orpik didn't oblige Thornton" bull shit?? How pathetic. I find Marchand a rat-faced bitch. I asked him to stab himself with his own skate, but he won't. So, the knee to the head should suffice. Seems logical, right?

I'll repeat. Thornton is a FRAUD. Talk about fake. One week ago, saying he's honorable. BULLSHIT. If the thought didn't cross his mind that he shouldn't jump a guy while he skated the length of the ice, I'm not sure how he ties his own skates. That's not a "heat of the moment" reaction...there was 8 seconds in between.

This....well said
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #185
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

BS - watch the replay. It looked like a clean, but hard hit to me in real-time, but in replay you can see Orpik clearly lowers his shoulder at Erikson's head.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 12-08-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #186
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
BS - watch the replay. It looked like a clean, but hard hit to me in real-time, but in replay you can see Orpik clearly lowers his shoulder at Erikson's head.

It's clean...how can you blame Orpik when Eriksson lowers his head/shoulders to play the puck whenever Orpik is already committed to that angle? And let's be real here...if he hit his head at all...it's a slight brush to the chin.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #187
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
It's clean...how can you blame Orpik when Eriksson lowers his head/shoulders to play the puck whenever Orpik is already committed to that angle? And let's be real here...if he hit his head at all...it's a slight brush to the chin.

The impact is to Erikkson's shoulder/chest. If you want to be precise, he hits Orpik with his head as it snaps forward from the impact of the hit.

Give Erikkson 2 minutes unsportsmanlike for the headbutt
Old 12-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #188
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

5 games for Jimmy Neal

Thankfully he didn't break his kneecap on Marchand's beak.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #189
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
5 games for Jimmy Neal

Suspensions:

James Neal: 3
Matt Cooke: 4
Old 12-09-2013, 11:27 PM   #190
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Suspensions:

James Neal: 3
Matt Cooke: 4

I can only assume these came in Dallas, and Vancouver/Washington/Minnesota, respectively. The Penguins get away with everything.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #191
Grover
Pro Starter

Classy tribute to Iginla from Calgary. Incredible response from the crowd.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #192
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Classy tribute to Iginla from Calgary. Incredible response from the crowd.

Classy place that Calgary.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #193
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Amusing how NESN calls the between-period interviews: "Jamie Erdhal will go one on one with ______."

Maybe it's just me, but that sounds sexual.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #194
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
5 games for Jimmy Neal

I still trade for him every time I play EHM. The AI undervalues him immensely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #195
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Wow the Red Wings can't win a shoot out to save their life. They are 0-5 after last night. Babcock's love affair with Cleary and Quincey is a mystery to me; it is eerily similar to Bettman/Crosby. Ewwww...

Quote:
Old 12-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #196
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
I still trade for him every time I play EHM. The AI undervalues him immensely.

The AI was probably designed by Joe Nieuwendyk.

Still one of the great recent fleecings. Alex Goligoski IS Matt Niskanen...at 3X the salary.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #197
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Wow the Red Wings can't win a shoot out to save their life. They are 0-5 after last night. Babcock's love affair with Cleary and Quincey is a mystery to me; it is eerily similar to Bettman/Crosby. Ewwww...

DOLA

It's funny how all (most) teams hate their coaching.

There is a large contingent of Penguins fans who hate Bylsma. And he has his man crushes too - Craig Adams, Deryk Engelland. But how many other teams would kill to have Bylsma or Babcock?
Old 12-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #198
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
DOLA

It's funny how all (most) teams hate their coaching.

There is a large contingent of Penguins fans who hate Bylsma. And he has his man crushes too - Craig Adams, Deryk Engelland. But how many other teams would kill to have Bylsma or Babcock?

Oh I don't hate our coach, I happen to believe he is one of the top 2-3 coaches in hockey right now. But his fascination with playing Dan Cleary 15 minutes a game on the top 2 lines is mystifying.

Quote:
Old 12-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #199
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

So I guess the hockey gods haven't yet finished the parade of injuries for the Wings. We can now add Jimmy Howard to the list, who is out for a month with a sprained knee. Already without Zetterberg, Helm, Weiss, and DeKeyser.

Ugh.

Quote:
Old 12-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #200
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So I guess the hockey gods haven't yet finished the parade of injuries for the Wings. We can now add Jimmy Howard to the list, who is out for a month with a sprained knee. Already without Zetterberg, Helm, Weiss, and DeKeyser.

Ugh.

Join the club.