Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-04-2008, 11:50 AM   #1
hawk4669
High School JV

Good thought request

Hello all,

As many of you know, I'm a Fire Captain in Northern California. To make a long story short, one of our rookie firefighters (a kid that I think a lot of and have taken under my wing in his young career) is missing.

He and a friend were taking a kyack (or however it is spelled) trip down a local river yesterday. They were smart enough to tell their girlfriends were they were putting in, and were they'd be taking out. The trouble started when they did not show up for paramedic class yesterday. For two responsible young men (one of them I don't know...he isn't a fireman) this was very odd.

Then today, Nick (the firefighter) did not show up for work. No calls...nothing. They sheriff's department found one of their vehicles where they put in....and the other vehicle where they were supposed to have taken out. Both vehicles cold, and haven't been moved.

My Fire Chief, an experienced river rafter, says the section of river is fairly beneign and poses no HUGE hazards. But, given both of the missing persons lack of experience is big reason for concern.

The local S.O.'s search and rescue team has been activated.

So right now, all of our crews know very little other than they are missing. The worst part is 1. not knowing and 2. being on duty at the firehouse and not being able to DO anything.

Anyways, I don't post on here a lot but I know you guys and gals are pretty good with giving good thoughts, vibes, and prayers (if that is your thing). I'm makin' a request for any of the above right now.

Thanks,

www.hbfire.org

hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:01 PM   #2
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Good thoughts headed your way in the hopes that the young men will be safe and sound, hawk4669.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

They're in our prayers, please keep us updated.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:07 PM   #4
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'll keep them in my prayers.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:24 PM   #5
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Definitely putting these two young men in our thoughts and prayers, hopefully they will be found soon and all will be ok.
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:24 PM   #6
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

they're in my thoughts. Surprised they didn't have a cellphone or two-way radio or something with them, but I guess at this point what we hope is that one of them is injured and the other decided to stay with the injured guy and wait for SAR to find them rather than strike off and leave the injured guy alone?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:26 PM   #7
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Sorry to hear this. I'll pray that they are okay.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:35 PM   #8
hawk4669
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
they're in my thoughts. Surprised they didn't have a cellphone or two-way radio or something with them, but I guess at this point what we hope is that one of them is injured and the other decided to stay with the injured guy and wait for SAR to find them rather than strike off and leave the injured guy alone?

Still no word.

The area where they went is pretty rural...so not sure cell phone would be of use to 'em. (Our area....FAR northern California still has HUGE gaps in cell phone coverage....in this day and age). Nick (the guy I work with) is usually religious about carrying his cellphone...so no clue on that.

And you know...not knowing anything is the worst part.

www.hbfire.org
Old 05-04-2008, 12:37 PM   #9
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk4669 View Post
Still no word.

The area where they went is pretty rural...so not sure cell phone would be of use to 'em. (Our area....FAR northern California still has HUGE gaps in cell phone coverage....in this day and age). Nick (the guy I work with) is usually religious about carrying his cellphone...so no clue on that.

And you know...not knowing anything is the worst part.

aaah, so you're up in the woodland - gotcha

well they're in my thoughts, hopefully like I said, it's an injury to one of them and the other decided to stay with them. or an equipement problem (the kayak getting busted open so they have to walk instead of boat).
Old 05-04-2008, 12:53 PM   #10
hawk4669
High School JV

Just got word...and it is good news.

USCG helo located them on a very remote logging road in the hills. Apparantly initial word is they did have an incident on the river where they lost their kyak (I need to learn to spell that damn word), and spent the night in the woods lost.

They're currently being flown to the local Coast Guard air station and are reported to be in good health.

Thanks for the good thoughts, etc. They worked apparantly.

www.hbfire.org
Old 05-04-2008, 12:55 PM   #11
Tiphnie
n00b

Kayak just so ya know babe :-)
Tiphnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:05 PM   #12
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just got word...and it is good news.

USCG helo located them on a very remote logging road in the hills. Apparantly initial word is they did have an incident on the river where they lost their kyak (I need to learn to spell that damn word), and spent the night in the woods lost.

They're currently being flown to the local Coast Guard air station and are reported to be in good health.

Thanks for the good thoughts, etc. They worked apparantly.

great to hear!!

confused as to how they got lost - seems to me that if i was kayaking and we lost the kayak i'd stay by the river where it's clear-ish and I knew people would be looking for me - but anyways glad to hear everyone's okay!!
Old 05-04-2008, 01:18 PM   #13
hawk4669
High School JV

We're now at the firehouse saying rookie boy BETTER have a good story as to how this all happened with details of a mutant otter attack and some Bear Grylls/Les Stroud survival stories of eating raw squirrel or resulting to cannibalism....and it better not be just "I got lost, etc."

Not sure all the details yet as to how it all occurred....but initial details sound like lack of experience and bad decisions played into this.

Idiot. (And I mean that towards him in the most fatherly/loving way possible).

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org
Old 05-04-2008, 01:18 PM   #14
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
We're now at the firehouse saying rookie boy BETTER have a good story as to how this all happened with details of a mutant otter attack and some Bear Grylls/Les Stroud survival stories of eating raw squirrel or resulting to cannibalism....and it better not be just "I got lost, etc."

Not sure all the details yet as to how it all occurred....but initial details sound like lack of experience and bad decisions played into this.

Idiot. (And I mean that towards him in the most fatherly/loving way possible).

Cheers!

least it all turned out for the best!
Old 05-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #15
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Glad to hear he and his friend are okay.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote