Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-18-2014, 02:29 PM   #1
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Infrared Grills?

So I have searched through a couple of old threads and none of them really cover this topic. Basically my 10+ year old gas grill just bit the dust. I am looking to replace it for something in the $200-$300 range. I would describe myself as a hot dog/hamburger for the family guy with the occasional steak for me and the wife. I maybe use the grill once a week and a little more in the summer. So obviously the $1000 ones or gadgety ones don't really interest me. I am intrigued by infrared though. Is this something geared more towards the "pros" or would it make my often unevenly cooked steaks come out tasting a lot better? Anyone with experience or knowledge? Worth the extra $50-$100 or the equivalent of 3D TV?

panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:30 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I don't really recall reasoning, but when I researched for a new grill for my parents for a Christmas present from all of us kids, I came away thinking it was more akin to 3D TV than worth it.

I leaned pretty heavily on like about.com for the basics of educating myself about the types of grills though, embarrassingly enough.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:36 PM   #3
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I don't really recall reasoning, but when I researched for a new grill for my parents for a Christmas present from all of us kids, I came away thinking it was more akin to 3D TV than worth it.

I leaned pretty heavily on like about.com for the basics of educating myself about the types of grills though, embarrassingly enough.

Yeah that is actually one of the sites I read through. My big problem was that a lot of the sites I read were getting into the whole smoked vs charcoal vs gas type arguments which I don't claim to know more than grilling enthusiasts on I just am not that into it and frankly don't care that much. I couldn't make out though whether infrared was something that would actually help an amateur improve on my lackluster grilling skills or just another bell and whistle that doesn't apply to a guy like me whose steaks often end up like looking like this...

Old 03-18-2014, 02:37 PM   #4
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Have 1
Pros-gets really hot. Cooks nice.
Cons-tiny things broke like the thermometers, rusted kind of fast inside, I had an old style grill plates that were a nightmare to clean

I have a Kenmore which is just a rebadged version of char broil. I think it's early gen since the new ones have different grates. I'd buy one again for the new grates. I did think the construction was kind of poor...rusted rather fast inside. I did cover it 90% of the time. I'm probably going to scrap mine this summer and get a smaller infrared one.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:38 PM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dola-
Cooks really good steaks.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah that was the other thing that worried me. It looks like these high temperatures cause quite a beating so a $250 grill may not stand up very well. I may give it a shot.

Stevew... What you you say for things like hot dogs and chicken? It is too hot?
Old 03-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #7
TRO
College Prospect

Don't use the infrared for hot dogs and chicken

It is meant to sear and should only be used for a minute or two per side.

If you try to use it to cook with, you will end up with burnt outsides and raw insides.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:57 PM   #8
TRO
College Prospect

Dola, in fact, if you use the infrared to "cook" with, your steaks will look WORSE than the picture above.

Your picture tells me that you are cooking over a high heat in general. You need to back the heat off a bit and cook slower.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:00 PM   #9
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Does chicken fine. I used to cook for like 10+ years in restaurants and its the closest thing to a restaurant grill I've found. I just crank it then cut it down to medium. Hot dogs are an issue. I do them on the top rack. For like bone in chicken I recommend cooking it 85% of the way in the oven. Last thing I did last fall was beer can chicken. Took awhile, you just have to watch the temp a bit. Turned out good though.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:02 PM   #10
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Most of the time you get torched steaks from flames and stuff. The one I have doesn't flare up at all.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:06 PM   #11
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRO View Post
Dola, in fact, if you use the infrared to "cook" with, your steaks will look WORSE than the picture above.

Your picture tells me that you are cooking over a high heat in general. You need to back the heat off a bit and cook slower.

Actually, you are supposed to cook steaks over very high heat. You get a better sear and the juices get trapped. That picture tells me the flames are too high, not that the heat is too high.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:06 PM   #12
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRO View Post

The picture was just a google image for burnt steak but my point was they turn out either bloody or burnt. Anyways it looks like since the family probably eats hamburgers, chicken, and hot dogs more than anything else I might be better off going non infrared. I don't really want a two step process for some foods when they come out edible right now on a normal gas grill.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:13 PM   #13
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

I'd highly recommend a Weber...you can grill, or bank the coals and cook off the fire and smoke your meet pretty effectively. I've had 3 and I swear by them, but I'm a charcoal/smoker cook...
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:28 PM   #14
TRO
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Actually, you are supposed to cook steaks over very high heat. You get a better sear and the juices get trapped. That picture tells me the flames are too high, not that the heat is too high.

Your should sear them over VERY high heat, yes.

You don't want to actually cook them for the full length of time over the same high heat though. Goal is for a dark brown crust that doesn't go very deep so that you have more internal meat that is the doneness that you are shooting for.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:31 PM   #15
TRO
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
I'd highly recommend a Weber...you can grill, or bank the coals and cook off the fire and smoke your meet pretty effectively. I've had 3 and I swear by them, but I'm a charcoal/smoker cook...

I think Weber's are great too, but if he is shooting for easy, there is little wrong with a gas grill.

Regardless of the set up, if there are problems with over/under cooked items, my advice is to learn cooking with two zones. It is easier to learn this on gas in my opinion as you can change the heat levels with the turn of a knob.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #16
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
That's why lately I've taken to cooking my steaks on a cast iron skillet versus grilling them. I throw the skillet into the oven while it preheats to 500, then once the oven gets to temp, take the skillet out, put it on the stove over high heat, cook a couple of minutes on each side to sear, then put back into the oven for a few minutes until I hit the right internal temp.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:37 PM   #17
TRO
College Prospect

That should make a fine steak cartman.

I've actually gone to the "reverse" sear method recently. I cook slow over medium heat (250-275) until they are getting close to target temp and then I sear them over as high a heat as I can get the Weber up to. I've been thinking of using a cast iron skillet for the final searing though myself.

I've seen no evidence that searing first or last changes the "juiciness" of the steak. I used to sear first always and I think they are turning out better this way, since the crust is thinner.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:39 PM   #18
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The big downside is that it does throw off a lot of smoke, so I try to only cook that way on days when I can open the doors and get good airflow out of the house.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:47 PM   #19
cartman
Death Herald

But, back on infrared, it can be handy. It puts out high, flame free heat. Think of it like a tanning bed on steroids for cooking. If the grill has a thermometer, it is useless for gauging the temps of the infrared cooking surfaces. It will always register much lower, so having a laser thermometer or something like that is the best way to figure out the surface temp. The big marketing push for home infrared burners is that it brings "high end restaurant technology" to you, but in reality what the big steakhouses use are 10x better than what is available in sub-$1000 home grills.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #20
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post

Not to threadjack but I've been looking at the grilling threads here recently as I'm in the market. While they tend to veer off into smoking discussions and I think I'd use it more for grilling meat and veggies on a weeknight, what kind of Weber are we talking about?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:04 PM   #21
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
That's why lately I've taken to cooking my steaks on a cast iron skillet versus grilling them. I throw the skillet into the oven while it preheats to 500, then once the oven gets to temp, take the skillet out, put it on the stove over high heat, cook a couple of minutes on each side to sear, then put back into the oven for a few minutes until I hit the right internal temp.

Sounds like Pittsburg style...sort of...
Old 03-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #22
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Not to threadjack but I've been looking at the grilling threads here recently as I'm in the market. While they tend to veer off into smoking discussions and I think I'd use it more for grilling meat and veggies on a weeknight, what kind of Weber are we talking about?

SI

For most people this one should suffice...

Weber

They have a bunch of options, like my dad's has a platform on the side of the grill, which is nice, but I don't need to spend the extra money on that...
Old 03-18-2014, 08:38 PM   #23
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I'm back with another question... so I'm thinking no infrered or at least a grill that is half and half but that likely prices me out. On to the non main grill features. Any benefit to these side burners? Anyone use these for anything?
Old 03-18-2014, 09:05 PM   #24
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I'm back with another question... so I'm thinking no infrered or at least a grill that is half and half but that likely prices me out. On to the non main grill features. Any benefit to these side burners? Anyone use these for anything?

No I have never used mine.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:08 PM   #25
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Side burners are worthless imo. Maybe a side flat grill would be decent. I'm typically fighting the wind so it's YMMV. Something like the Mangrate or other cast iron grates can take a shitty grill up a notch.

This is just a general tip to anyone using propane-
Take your tank to Tractor Supply or a KOA or an Agway type farm store and get your tank topped off. Don't do the gas station exchange. It's typically half as expensive to top off and you can get a full 20lbs of propane where most gas station fills are only 15lb
Old 03-18-2014, 10:06 PM   #26
JimboJ
High School Varsity

I was looking at this Landmann grill at Costco. On sale for $380. Made from 304 stainless steel, and has good reviews. Never heard of Landmann though. Anyone know anything about them?

Landmann 3-burner 304 Stainless Steel BBQ Grill
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:12 PM   #27
cartman
Death Herald

Landmann is a German company. I've been happy with just about everything I've ever bought from Costco, they do a great job sourcing the stuff they sell.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:20 PM   #28
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Doesn't Costco have a really good warranty? Do they still have unlimited satisfaction guaranteed?
Old 03-19-2014, 07:00 AM   #29
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
The big downside is that it does throw off a lot of smoke, so I try to only cook that way on days when I can open the doors and get good airflow out of the house.

LOL I was just about to respond to your first post by saying "it's a great technique if you don't mind your house filling up with smoke."

For me, there's a reason steaks taste best at good steak houses, and that's because they use broilers which get up to ungodly temperatures, allowing them to both sear the steak quickly and the amount of heat introduced to the steak for the sear ends up cooking it (to the appropriate done-ness) even once removed from the heat (obviously this is a tricky process with such high heats).

You can absolutely get this kind of heat with most grills, but with gas you need to make sure you have the BTUs and with charcoal you're going to need to make a very hot fire, which is a lot of time & fuel for a very quick cooking time.

So, like most other things, it's a personal preference, but many techniques are viable. The key thing (like with much cooking) is not to be afraid of the heat.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:42 PM   #30
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboJ View Post
I was looking at this Landmann grill at Costco. On sale for $380. Made from 304 stainless steel, and has good reviews. Never heard of Landmann though. Anyone know anything about them?

Landmann 3-burner 304 Stainless Steel BBQ Grill

I was at Costco earlier today, and they had this grill in the store. I took a look at it, and it appears to be a very solid grill. Everything looked to be stainless steel or aluminum, so shouldn't have to worry about anything rusting out.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:42 PM   #31
JimboJ
High School Varsity

Quote:
I was at Costco earlier today, and they had this grill in the store. I took a look at it, and it appears to be a very solid grill. Everything looked to be stainless steel or aluminum, so shouldn't have to worry about anything rusting out.

Yeah I think I'm going to go pick one up tomorrow. Was going to get a Weber, but this one seems just as good for a couple hundred dollars less.
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:04 AM   #32
Desnudo
Coordinator

I've had the Weber Spirit for years and never had a problem.

Amazon.com: Weber 46110001 Spirit E210 Liquid Propane Gas Grill, Black: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:06 AM   #33
weegeebored
High School Varsity

I personally would not buy anything but a Weber, but here's a site you might find worth checking out -- Reviews and Ratings Of Grills, Smokers, Barbecue Pits, Accessories, Books, Tools & Toys
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:06 PM   #34
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Man, I was looking at a few grills the other day and they ought to be ashamed of what they call "stainless" these days. None of this stuff was high end but you'd be better off with a less shiny top if it meant that you wouldn't worry about bending it in half if you slam it. Stuff is so cheaply made these days.