Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-09-2003, 02:40 PM   #1
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Exclamation OOTP5 Mini Rant

Okay, I love this game and I play it a lot, but there are several little things that for whatever reason annoy the crap out of me. Here they are:

1. Hiring coaches, scouts, and managers - You offer them a contract for $1 mil for 4 years. Unless they stated they want a four-year contract they will never finish the deal. They will always leave after the number of years they had initially wanted. If you're not going to live up to the life of the contract offered, don't accept the damn thing!

2. When negotiating contracts with players on your team once you have offered dollars and years if you change either one they think it's a new offer. Well maybe for the amount you want I don't want to offer that many years! But, as you can only haggle so much before the player gets pissed they should make this so that you can change both the amount and the years before they think it's a new offer!

3. Hiring coaches, scouts, and managers - Once I have sorted them a particular way, if the manager doesn't like my team or wants a smaller organization I have to sort all over again. Let it keep the last sort!

4. Trades - When trying to make trades the other team often won't have enough money, so I sort by salary and search for someone to throw into the deal. Well, if they still can't afford, or will no longer accept what you offered, again it doesn't go back to the last sort. I've had to resort as many as 10 times to try and make a deal work! It would also be nice to show how much of the salary they can't afford.

5. Negotiating contracts - Okay, this is maybe a fluke but one time the guy told me what he wanted, I gave it to him, and he told me to get lost.

6. Auto pitching staff - Same thing here. The AI didn't like one of my players even though he was the best at his position, and kept putting him as third MR and mop-up.

7. Resting starters at the end of the season - If I've clinched the pennant and want to rest my starters so they don't get injured and are fresh, many times they will complain about not starting. Give it at least a week before you start bitching will ya!

8. Trades offered by the AI - They never ever offer anything I'd even consider taking.

9. Have somone read the comments and English it up a bit. There are still a lot of grammatical errors. I know a lot of the players don't necessarily have English as their native language, but you could still have good grammar!

10. I might tweak some of the sim results but that's a matter of personal taste. There seems to be a little too much variability in player performance for my liking, and my very good team has yet to win the WS after 15 or so years, but really not much to complain about here.

NOW DOES ANYONE KNOW THESE GUYS WELL ENOUGH TO GET THESE THINGS FIXED! They're little but since simming does take a bit of team it would make it more enjoyable for me if these issues were addressed. Thanks for listening.

Tarkus

Last edited by Tarkus : 03-10-2003 at 10:41 AM.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 03:01 PM   #2
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Re: OOTP5 Mini Rant

Quote:
Originally posted by Tarkus
NOW DOES ANYONE KNOW THESE GUYS WELL ENOUGH TO GET THESE THINGS FIXED!
Get SkyDog to post in thr 400 forums. They'll have a patch out by late evening.

Actually, many of those bugs were around in v4 as well, so the odds of them being fixed soon are small. The non-sticky sorts was partially addressed in v5, but not very well.

As far as players rejecting a contract they asked for, apparently adding a few bucks ($10,000) to the offer will get it to go through.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 03:08 PM   #3
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Re: Re: OOTP5 Mini Rant

Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Leafs
Get SkyDog to post in thr 400 forums. They'll have a patch out by late evening.

Actually, many of those bugs were around in v4 as well, so the odds of them being fixed soon are small. The non-sticky sorts was partially addressed in v5, but not very well.

As far as players rejecting a contract they asked for, apparently adding a few bucks ($10,000) to the offer will get it to go through.

Well, maybe SkyDog will read this, agree and post it. And yes, many of these issues were around in OOTP4 and they bothered me back then as well. I tried giving the guy a million more and he wouldn't take it. Ended up resigning him in FA.

Tarkus

Last edited by Tarkus : 03-09-2003 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-09-2003, 03:16 PM   #4
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Tarkus, I'm just around for a sec today (working on sending out 1,500 postcards to promo the CD), but most of the things you wrote were DEAD-on. I've got a few things too. I'll compile and post soon.
Old 03-09-2003, 03:29 PM   #5
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
(working on sending out 1,500 postcards to promo the CD)

You get these fixed and I'll definitely buy the CD!

Tarkus
Old 03-09-2003, 03:53 PM   #6
rexalllsc
Banned

The sort thing has bugged me since v3
rexalllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 04:04 PM   #7
tucker342
Pro Starter

The sorting issue is one of the only things that really bugs me about ootp5. Most of the things you mentioned were dead on.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 04:05 PM   #8
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Tarkus did a great job hitting the common complaints of every version I've played of this game. None of the gamebreakers, but all of them annoying.

By the way Tarkus, after going home and seeing your name on the board I realized who you are.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 04:14 PM   #9
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by GrantDawg
By the way Tarkus, after going home and seeing your name on the board I realized who you are.

Hmm, have we met in another life?

Tarkus

SkyDog, one thing I didn't mention but that I think a lot of people have noticed is that the Hitting Streaks are not calculated properly on the page that displays while you are simming. Just thought I'd mention that again.
Old 03-09-2003, 04:23 PM   #10
Blackadar
Retired

Ok, Skydog, since you're making a list:

1. Give me the option to make all scouts and coaches "average" (this option currently exists for scouts only) AND to turn off the hiring of scouts and coaches. I hate this part of the game - it feels like an "add-on" and makes no sense whatsoever. The coach may want 400,000 a year and I'll offer 500,000 and he'll sign with another team. Just give me the option to shut this off. Also, the sort issue that Tarkus points out in his #3 is a good point.

2. The three negotiating attempts and you're done thing that Tarkus pointed out is good. This should be fixed or, perhaps, made an option in the league setup screen.

3. I want a "shop player" button that will actually generate responses from other teams. In other words, I want to be able to list a player, hit a button and generate trade proposals from other teams. Even if they're stupid ones. Maybe I'm just trying to dump some salary. Even better, maybe I could pick the positions I want when the computer is responding. The trade AI is there...this shouldn't be too hard to program.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 04:25 PM   #11
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Based on the good word about the lack of showstopper bugs, I went ahead and plunked down for it this weekend. There are things I like and things I don't like, but I have to say that Tarkus' list is dead on. What's bothersome is that many of these things people have been bitching about since v3 and v4. So much for that stuff about how the designers respond to the gamers and fix things.

I'm on the fence about v5. I think its a much tighter game than v4 was. I'm playing manager mode and the game is tougher. But even manager mode exemplifies the flash-over-substance approach of .400 these days. In TCY, the players' girlfrieds served a function and where an indicator of time usage. What is the point of having a girlfriend/wife in OOTP. I'm sure it has a lot more to with adding features from ITP than it does with game play.

I just wish they would spend more time on the AI and gameplay (playcalling in OOTP is HORRIBLE) and less time on the eye-candy. But then again, Joe loved the work Gigawatt did for FOF2k1, so I guess that should explain everything I need to knwo about that.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 04:27 PM   #12
McSweeny
College Starter

blackie:

you can turn off coaches and scout on the league setup screen. I do this because i don't like the way that coaches and scouts were implemented in the game
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 04:42 PM   #13
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackadar
I want a "shop player" button that will actually generate responses from other teams. In other words, I want to be able to list a player, hit a button and generate trade proposals from other teams. Even if they're stupid ones. Maybe I'm just trying to dump some salary. Even better, maybe I could pick the positions I want when the computer is responding. The trade AI is there...this shouldn't be too hard to program.

Yeah, this one would be a great add on. For example when I want to trade a catcher I have to start searching through all the teams to find out who needs a catcher. If there's an easier way to do this I've missed it. And this should be pretty easy to implement since you can already ask a team who they'd take for a particular player. Just make it go in the other direction, either for one, or all teams.

Tarkus

Last edited by Tarkus : 03-09-2003 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-09-2003, 05:45 PM   #14
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by kcchief19
Based on the good word about the lack of showstopper bugs, I went ahead and plunked down for it this weekend. There are things I like and things I don't like, but I have to say that Tarkus' list is dead on. What's bothersome is that many of these things people have been bitching about since v3 and v4. So much for that stuff about how the designers respond to the gamers and fix things.

I'm on the fence about v5. I think its a much tighter game than v4 was. I'm playing manager mode and the game is tougher. But even manager mode exemplifies the flash-over-substance approach of .400 these days. In TCY, the players' girlfrieds served a function and where an indicator of time usage. What is the point of having a girlfriend/wife in OOTP. I'm sure it has a lot more to with adding features from ITP than it does with game play.

I just wish they would spend more time on the AI and gameplay (playcalling in OOTP is HORRIBLE) and less time on the eye-candy. But then again, Joe loved the work Gigawatt did for FOF2k1, so I guess that should explain everything I need to knwo about that.

Purpose of the spouse, as I understand it, is to hopefully "procreate" have a son born who will eventually play in the "OOTP world" you have created. In addition, this has been talked about on the 400 board, but not sure here....this part of the game took very little time and essentially nothing from development time so take that for what it's worth.

I personally see these area as one that could develop into a nice addition at some point as well as it is deepened, etc.
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 06:04 PM   #15
Raven
College Prospect

While you are at it.....

Tell them to fix the damn financial engine. Fan Interest play a huge part in revenue, and is based on winning, but is TOO dependant upon your position in your division.

For example,
1-Let's say you are a team with a low fan interest (20-35) and are a very good team
2- best team in the league is also in your division.
3- You win 90+ games, and win the Wild Card, but your division leader wins 105+ games, so you finish 15 games back.

You could be the second best team in baseball (behind your division leader) and go to the playoffs, but your fan interest will drop because you are too far out of first place. That is ridiculous. It costs that team millions of dollars per year, and if you are a small market/mid market outperforming expectations, there is no way to climb out of the hole if the division leader is a large market and taking full advantage of their financial resources.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 06:18 PM   #16
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, this one would be a great add on. For example when I want to trade a catcher I have to start searching through all the teams to find out who needs a catcher. If there's an easier way to do this I've missed it. And this should be pretty easy to implement since you can already ask a team who they'd take for a particular player. Just make it go in the other direction, either for one, or all teams.

Tarkus

Something FOF does, you can look at a screen that displays all of the teams and their top 3 weaknesses in order. In ootp, you have to click on each team to find out what they are weak in.

One BIG thing that bothers me is teams releasing players like Roger Clemens because he refuses a demotion, I pick him up and use him as trade bait. A simple "We will not trade for anyone you just signed" (fof again) message would take care of that.

I still find myself having to impose 'house rules' so I don't cheat the AI, which is disappointing for the 5th version. Everything information wise looks good now, I really hope Markus and Co. work on the AI quite a bit. I've seen many games where the CPU team was out of pinch hitters or pitchers, games where they pinch hit a lefty for my RH MR and leave him in to bat when I turn around and bring a lefty out, and games when power hitters bunt to move a runner over to second, etc.. I'm not looking for DMB AI, but the game could be played much smarter by the AI, imo.

I'm having more fun than v5, but the AI seems almost identical to v4. I manage every game because I don't trust the AI.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 06:54 PM   #17
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by McSweeny
blackie:

you can turn off coaches and scout on the league setup screen. I do this because i don't like the way that coaches and scouts were implemented in the game

Yea, but it's not the same thing. I don't want to see the real player ratings. I just want everyone to be "average" and not have to resign 'em. But I want the challenge of having "imperfect" ratings.

Last edited by Blackadar : 03-09-2003 at 07:32 PM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 07:02 PM   #18
Tarkus
High School Varsity

SkyDog, here's another one. Simming the playoffs the AI controlled team, at least in games with my team, often shows the wrong starting pitcher. This is another leftover from previous years. Why can't it show the pitcher who's actually starting?

Tarkus
Old 03-09-2003, 10:56 PM   #19
Raven
College Prospect

Here is a post describing the financial issues I am repeatedly seeing. Anyone willing to help can post on this issue
Old 03-09-2003, 11:09 PM   #20
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

I can't believe you guys would even want to play with coaching/scouting - talk about giving yourself an advantage over the AI.

Here's my rant

I want the Print to Text File back from OOTP4. Rule #1 in creating a new version is never to take out usable features from previous versions unless they caused problems. I tried every possible way to create a formatted .txt file from the reports, but I am not successful. I tried (from both browser types):
- copy and pasting (requires too much memory to load)
- print to generic/txt (unformatted)
- save as txt file (unformatted)
- save as/open html file (too many nested tables)
and a few others I can't recall.

I suppose the new snazzy html layouts are all the rage (they look good printed) but I don't care to work with them. I want to be able to save a report (like the team's Roster Report) to a txt file and have it open up in a work processor as formatted. We did this all of the time in v4 so please tell me how to do it in v5.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 05:43 AM   #21
AgPete
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by FBPro
Purpose of the spouse, as I understand it, is to hopefully "procreate" have a son born who will eventually play in the "OOTP world" you have created. In addition, this has been talked about on the 400 board, but not sure here....this part of the game took very little time and essentially nothing from development time so take that for what it's worth.

I personally see these area as one that could develop into a nice addition at some point as well as it is deepened, etc.

I agree with FBPro. Yes, it's a flash over substance issue but you don't even have to bother with it, it's a simple feature that doesn't take away from the game. You only need to worry about being fired which is a nifty part of the game to me. An example of flash over substance (or just too much of a non-sport feature) for me were the zodiac symbols in FOF4. It's nice if players have chemistry problems and finding the right teammates increases the overall strategy of a game but I DO NOT play sports sims to check astrology signs. I never turned that feature on, I could care less if my new free agent quarterback is a pisces or virgo and how it influences my team. I don't know what Jim was thinking when he added that.

Last edited by AgPete : 03-10-2003 at 05:45 AM.
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 06:27 AM   #22
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by FBPro

Here's a small problem with it. If you wife is pregnant and decides to divorce you - the child disappears and is never born. If it's born it never ends up on your screen.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 07:26 AM   #23
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by AgPete
I agree with FBPro. Yes, it's a flash over substance issue but you don't even have to bother with it, it's a simple feature that doesn't take away from the game. You only need to worry about being fired which is a nifty part of the game to me. An example of flash over substance (or just too much of a non-sport feature) for me were the zodiac symbols in FOF4. It's nice if players have chemistry problems and finding the right teammates increases the overall strategy of a game but I DO NOT play sports sims to check astrology signs. I never turned that feature on, I could care less if my new free agent quarterback is a pisces or virgo and how it influences my team. I don't know what Jim was thinking when he added that.

My understanding is that this was Jim's attempt at creating one of the popular "immersion" elements that exist in the Championship Manager games. I think astrological signs is a very simplified and not all that exciting or accurate way to do this, but the way it's done in CM is simply amazing. It, for me, is what raises the CM above all other games. To actually feel like you're coaching real players with personalities, attitudes, likes/dislikes, etc. really enhances the immersion level of the game and the fun. You feel like you're playing in a living, breathing universe as a opposed to a stale, players-are-just-a-bunch-of-numbers type situation.

So, instead of just cutting your veteran QB as soon as you find a new QB with better numbers, you would (in a CM-type siutation) have to look at how that would effect your team. The consequences can be quite dire if the player is/was popular or if the new guy isn't. Can really disrupt a team. I think that accurately reflects what happens team chemistry is a big part of championship teams. Or so it seems.

I think the astrological signs was Jim's first step into trying to simulate this. A noble effort. Definitely a step in the right direction, just not all that well executed.

As for OOTP and your manager having a wife and such. It's kind of lame if it really has no effect on the game, but then again, it doesn't hurt anything it sounds like.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 07:54 AM   #24
ScottVib
High School Varsity

Re: OOTP5 Mini Rant

Quote:
Originally posted by Tarkus
9. Have somone read the comments and English it up a bit. There are still a lot of grammatical errors. I know a lot of the players don't necessarily have English as their native language, but you could still have good grammar!

We have a thread in the OOTP Forums to collect these as people see them. We killed off a lot of errors, but obviously we haven't gotten them all out yet (with as much code as there is to go through you overlook some things). If you see any errors please add them to the list so I can kill them off.

http://www.400softwarestudios.com/bo...threadid=27040

Edit - FWIW, no need to call in SkyDog on this one... the thread was linked in the OOTP5 development forum.

Last edited by ScottVib : 03-10-2003 at 07:56 AM.
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 07:58 AM   #25
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Re: Re: OOTP5 Mini Rant

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottVib
Edit - FWIW, no need to call in SkyDog on this one... the thread was linked in the OOTP5 development forum.
Good.....

And how the heck did I get nominated to be the Primelord of .400 Studios anyway?????????????
Old 03-10-2003, 10:19 AM   #26
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Re: Re: Re: OOTP5 Mini Rant

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
Good.....

And how the heck did I get nominated to be the Primelord of .400 Studios anyway?????????????

Because they listen to you?

Tarkus
Old 03-10-2003, 10:23 AM   #27
Malificent
High School JV

I wish they would fix it so left handed batters didn't get so absolutely killed by ANY left handed pitcher. Its so bad that really, you should never have a left handed batter face a left handed pitcher, ever.

I feel like I have to platoon all my LHB for this reason and it really perturbs me.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:59 AM   #28
Raven
College Prospect

Scott, I hate to be a pest, but I sure hope someone is looking into the fan interest bug. The link is in this thread as well as the JBL thread.
Old 03-10-2003, 02:09 PM   #29
ScottVib
High School Varsity

I've read it and we're looking at it.
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 09:58 PM   #30
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Another little one I just noticed. Guy sends an e-mail saying he wants to negotiate an extension and to let him know if you are interested. You go and try to offer him an extension and he says it's too early in the year. You can sign him later, but once he sends the e-mail he should be willing to negotiate!

Tarkus
Old 03-11-2003, 09:06 AM   #31
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Since it appears that there is no easy Print To Text option, perhaps someone can step me through the process of editing an html file.

For instance, the Roster Report prints beautifully from the browser screen but it chops the lineups portion onto the second page. What do I need to do to be able to open that file, set a manual page break and then reprint the html report? I can do this in Word.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:50 PM   #32
Raven
College Prospect

They should also add "Back" and "Next" buttons to scroll through teams (ie Front Office screens, Roster screens etc.)

Anrhy, I don't think you can set a manual page break and then reprint it because each html report is set up as a table. If you wanted to seperate one part to put it on a seperate page, you'd have to establish a whole new table.

If you don't mind establishing the tables yourself, you can right click, go to view source, copy and paste that, and then set the table how you like (but that requires HTML knowledge).

Last edited by Raven : 03-11-2003 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:01 PM   #33
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Then why did they format the page so that on an A-size pagesize, the lineups gets chopped? It seems that they didn't think anyone would want to print it out or to use it to post in a dynasty forum.