Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-24-2022, 10:53 AM   #2851
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The team that ties the score in regulation should kick. Or, yeah, if you choose to kick to open the game, you’re kicking to start overtime
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:58 AM   #2852
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Thanks, I've never seen that.

Comparable situation from the offensive side of the ball.

Baltimore is on offense, with the lead, in punt formation, trying to run out the clock, but a game can end on an offensive penalty. Is it a smart play within the context of the rules? Yes. Does it look bush league and make the league look bad? I think so and think a rule change should have come to dissuade the offense from doing it. YMMV
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 11:05 AM   #2853
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I like the idea of just continuing at the same spot after the time expires. If Team A scores with no time left on the clock, then they would kickoff. If Team A is at the 50 and time runs out, then they just continue their possession at the 50. First team to score wins.

This way it is just a natural extension of the game and the teams have earned their way to the situation rather than relying on a coin flip.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 11:48 AM   #2854
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I think part of me wants to see the OT rules change because I wanted to see more from the Bills/Chiefs last night. I wanted to see the Bills get a chance and see more amazing shit happen.

I personally like the NFL OT rules just fine, but I thought this was funny.

https://i.ibb.co/Sm5wbmV/20220124-124527.jpg
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 11:52 AM   #2855
spleen1015
Coordinator

Heh. How fun would that be?
Old 01-24-2022, 11:58 AM   #2856
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Another subtle thing about the great coaching last night. Both teams were able to run really good last minute drives because they each had 3 TOs in their pocket when they needed them.

Well coached teams don't burn early TOs.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 12:32 PM   #2857
QuikSand
lolzcat

While the offenses, once we got into that late game blur, were very impressive... it's also true that they both benefited from a pretty crazy amount of defensive messiness, missed assignments, uncharacteristic gaffes, and the like. If the pace had been less frantic, I think we could have had the telestrator just lit up with WTF moments from the defenses - Bills leaving entirely half the field uncovered, Chiefs guy tripping on air, both teams clearly unable to create a proper coverage alignment on the fly multiple times.

It was a crazy environment, but not sure that explains it all away. It's not like when you're facing either of these offenses, you just anticipate pure slow vanilla stuff.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 12:42 PM   #2858
Swaggs
Coordinator

Those defenses must have been so gassed by overtime. It was probably a foregone conclusion that the winner of the coin toss had it.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 12:50 PM   #2859
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
I think so and think a rule change should have come to dissuade the offense from doing it. YMMV

They did. You can do it once then it become an additional 15 yard penalty.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 12:50 PM   #2860
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Those defenses must have been so gassed by overtime. It was probably a foregone conclusion that the winner of the coin toss had it.

Yeah, Romo basically said out loud during the toss what everyone was thinking.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 12:51 PM   #2861
cuervo72
Head Coach

Too bad they can't do like hockey and have a break before playoff OT.
Old 01-24-2022, 12:57 PM   #2862
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Too bad they can't do like hockey and have a break before playoff OT.

did they literally sell all the beer and dick pills?
Old 01-24-2022, 01:24 PM   #2863
RainMaker
General Manager

I think the NFL is concerned about games being too long and interfering with one another. Worth noting that the playoff games ended before 10pm on the East Coast. Something the other leagues have been too dumb to figure out. But there is a reason they are king.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 01:39 PM   #2864
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Just a thought, but what if you got 1-3 subs that you could use from your gameday inactives at any point from the 4th quarter on. Maybe the first team to dip into the pool gets 2 extra players and the other team gets 3?
Old 01-24-2022, 01:41 PM   #2865
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
They did. You can do it once then it become an additional 15 yard penalty.

Thanks, live and learn.
Old 01-24-2022, 01:42 PM   #2866
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I'd argue game length is only relevant for the regular season (scheduling and all that), so they should have different rules for the regular season and the post season.

Regular season: no OT, games can end in a tie.

Post season: play another quarter, if still tied after that, play another quarter

Probably the biggest drawback, though, is that Americans culturally hate ties.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 01:46 PM   #2867
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

What about

Same rules as now (FG on first possession keeps it going. TD wins it. Sudden Death after) but the team that "receives" the ball in OT starts First and Ten at their own 10 yard line.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 01-24-2022 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-24-2022, 01:47 PM   #2868
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola: And I would support a no-OT in the regular season change. But I am sure that that most fans would hate that.
Old 01-24-2022, 02:39 PM   #2869
cuervo72
Head Coach

I like ties making standings look weird, so I'd also be for no OT in the regular season.
Old 01-24-2022, 02:53 PM   #2870
spleen1015
Coordinator

I want to see ties in the post season.

Bills and Chiefs tie. They both play the Bengals next week in a 3 way game.

Bills and Bengals start the coin flip. Winner gets to flip against the Chiefs and play against the Chiefs to start.

So, let's say the Bills won both coin flips and wants the ball. Their offense plays against the Chiefs defense. When that series ends, the Chiefs play offense against the Bengals defense. Then the Bengals get to play offense against the Bills defense.

At half time it switches. Chiefs O against Bills D, Bills O against Bengals D, Bengals O against Chiefs D.

If there is a tie at the end of regulation, all tied teams to to the Super Bowl.

You could even modify it and eliminate the lowest scoring team at halftime. If there are 2 teams with the lowest score, the winning team gets to pick who they play in the 2nd half.

It would work and it would be amazing!

Last edited by spleen1015 : 01-24-2022 at 02:53 PM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:03 PM   #2871
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Multiball!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:53 PM   #2872
Thomkal
Head Coach

Panthers sign new offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo from the Giants...uh did you watch the Giants when he was head coach there?

Last edited by Thomkal : 01-24-2022 at 03:55 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:07 PM   #2873
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Didn't we talk about the Ravens spot-and-choose proposal last spring?

One team picks the spot of the ball and the other picks whether to play offence or defence. Essentially a split-the-pie concept. Would it have made a difference last night? I'm not sure. But starting on your 1-yard-line is significantly different as far as limiting the playbook compared to starting on the 25-yard-line.

Ravens to propose revolutionary "spot and choose" overtime procedure - ProFootballTalk

Splitting the Overtime Pizza | Football Outsiders
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:45 PM   #2874
miami_fan
Coordinator

Everyone is talking about the OT rules, what about the rule that allowed Eric Weedle to get a free shot at Mike Evans? I don't think anyone knew that rule but now that we all know, they can't allow that to remain right?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:06 PM   #2875
spleen1015
Coordinator

Why not? It makes sense. As soon as the ball hit the ground, it was first down Rams.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:20 PM   #2876
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Yeah, that was a very weird edge case, but the logic still feels sound to me. TB did not convert on a 4th down before that hit occurred, so I don't think they should've got the ball back, but I do think there is a case for the penalty yardage being assessed against the Rams offense (e.g. 1st and 25 instead of 1st and 10), because just moving the ball back 15 yards seems like a pretty light punishment.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:22 PM   #2877
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Everyone is talking about the OT rules, what about the rule that allowed Eric Weedle to get a free shot at Mike Evans? I don't think anyone knew that rule but now that we all know, they can't allow that to remain right?

It wasn't a free shot the Rams were penalized on the play.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:45 PM   #2878
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think they should change the rule to account for situations like this where the player does a dirty hit in the direct vicinity of the ball, even if the ball is down. Weddle was interacting with the intended receiver.

Last edited by stevew : 01-24-2022 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:56 PM   #2879
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

I don't think you need to change that. It's not like guys are going to run around taking cheap shots on 4th down. These are split second plays and there is the risk that the ball is in the air when you make that hit. If so, it's a first down.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:48 PM   #2880
RainMaker
General Manager

If we're talking about rules, can we please figure out what is and isn't taunting? I feel like for every taunting call I see, there are 5 others that are equally bad or worse that don't get called.

Then again, I root for a team that lost a game because a player was called for taunting for staring down a sideline.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:20 PM   #2881
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

It strikes me as odd that the same people who endure a constant violence that will leave so many unable to function on a cognitive level later in life could be wounded so much by a little bit of sass that it's worth interrupting the game to march off 15 yards. Bad rule.

At worst, you should get a delay of game if you prevent the other team from getting back in the huddle. Or maybe a card system like soccer - if you become so boorish by your taunting that you deserve three warnings, you just get tossed, no yardage involved.

I hate seeing a great play, lots of emotion in succeeding or failing, and then rather than looking forward to the replay, worrying that it will get undone because someone reacted the wrong way - not that there's much of a standard for that.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:38 PM   #2882
RainMaker
General Manager

I agree. At worst, it should be a 5 yard penalty.

The consistency is what bothers me. Suh is called for taunting for pointing and saying something to the QB. 20 minutes later the team is doing a dance routine in the end zone after a turnover. One of those is taunting and the other isn't?

Rules can't be that subjective.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:35 AM   #2883
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
I don't think you need to change that. It's not like guys are going to run around taking cheap shots on 4th down. These are split second plays and there is the risk that the ball is in the air when you make that hit. If so, it's a first down.

I agree with this.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:52 AM   #2884
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I think they should change the rule to account for situations like this where the player does a dirty hit in the direct vicinity of the ball, even if the ball is down. Weddle was interacting with the intended receiver.

So this personal foul should result in automatic first down? If that's the case then all personal fouls should also result in an automatic first down. The problem with that is it only favors the offense. To level the field then, to me, when the offense commits a personal foul it would have to include loss of down with the 15 yds.

Buccs were in a 4th and more than 15 (can't recall exactly what) that's just the breaks. It's not like Weedle was thinking "hey here comes a free shot and I won't be giving up a FD". I would almost bet Weedle's first thought was "oh shit, I just cost us a possession". He was probably as surprised (and in his case relieved) as most that it resulted in 15 yards and not a first down.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:42 AM   #2885
JPhillips
General Manager

I just saw that with 130 yards Sunday, Jamar Chase, a rookie mind you, would become the Bengals' all-time leader in playoff receiving yards.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:48 AM   #2886
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
So this personal foul should result in automatic first down? If that's the case then all personal fouls should also result in an automatic first down. The problem with that is it only favors the offense. To level the field then, to me, when the offense commits a personal foul it would have to include loss of down with the 15 yds.

Buccs were in a 4th and more than 15 (can't recall exactly what) that's just the breaks. It's not like Weedle was thinking "hey here comes a free shot and I won't be giving up a FD". I would almost bet Weedle's first thought was "oh shit, I just cost us a possession". He was probably as surprised (and in his case relieved) as most that it resulted in 15 yards and not a first down.

All defensive personal fouls do result in an automatic first down even if they needed more than 15 yards.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:07 AM   #2887
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Back to the OT rules - I saw a good suggestion somewhere else: why not just give the home field team the choice? There's no coin so no arbitrary randomness. In the regular season, each team gets the same number of home games so it's fair (ok, it will be once the schedule gets back to 18 games). And in the playoffs, it's just another thing you earn by virtue of your home field advantage and better regular season. It also doesn't have the gimmicky crap like the Ravens and their grade school sibling "you divide and I pick", or some rando FG contest, or the awful college football rules that have a backwards incentive baked in. Just make it part of the home field advantage and call it a day.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-25-2022 at 11:10 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:31 AM   #2888
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
the gimmicky crap

#TeamGimmickyCrap
Old 01-25-2022, 12:06 PM   #2889
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The best part of the Ravens' approach is that it would definitely lead to a Mike McCarthy type coach horribly screwing it up and ending up giving the other team the ball on the 50 or something and then try to justify it in the post-game press conference with a non sequitur like "Well, considering how much cover-3 they were playing, we thought that this gave us the best chance to win."
Old 01-25-2022, 12:48 PM   #2890
QuikSand
lolzcat

smoke, fire, Sean Payton out sounds like it's happening... wow
Old 01-25-2022, 12:50 PM   #2891
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

This reporter is several orders of magnitude better than every other local Saints reporter put together. If he's reporting it, it's true:

Old 01-25-2022, 12:52 PM   #2892
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

As a Saints fan, I of course hate this.

But I see it, too. The last couple of years have been a real grind. Definite sense among folks around the team that there was just this . . . stress that had not been there in the past. Totally understandable, but that does not make it less true.

Payton can go be a talking head for a couple of years. If he likes it, he can do like Bill Cowher and stay forever. If he gets restless and wants to get back into coaching in a few years, then multiple teams will be lining up to make him the highest paid coach in football.

Either way, he can wait for COVID to stop being an issue before he comes back.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 01-25-2022 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:55 PM   #2893
bronconick
College Starter

Dude took one look at being $70 million over the cap with Taysom Hill starting and bailed.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:55 PM   #2894
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Ah, I posted this in the offseason thread.

I blame Kevin James.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:58 PM   #2895
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

probably belongs in the offseason thread, actually.

Mods wanna move this mini conversation?
Old 01-25-2022, 07:06 PM   #2896
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I've been doing a dive into overtime results today. There has been an uptick the last four seasons in teams winning in their first possession, like Kansas City did.

So the percentage of wins from teams that have possession first in overtime under the new rule set (implemented for the playoffs in 2010, regular season in 2012) has risen from .529 as of 2017 to .564 now. That includes 163 overtime games.

Under the old sudden-death rules, the win percentage was .584 from 1998-2011.

The 2012 rule change has ended up preserving the home-field advantage (.578) almost exactly as it is for all games. But keep in mind 163 is still too small a sample size for the type of precision we'd need to establish a connection.

There have been 15 first-possession touchdowns in the last four seasons (this includes the KC game) out of 60 overtimes. From 2010p-2012r-2017, there were 20 in 103 overtimes. Is it ticking up? Maybe/maybe not.

There have been 12 first-possession field goals in the last four seasons (20%) versus 18 before then (17.5%). Combined, it suggests maybe a handful of fourth-down conversions, since the league is headed in that direction.

But compare that to 61 first-possession field goals and 14 first-possession touchdowns in the sudden-death period. That was the biggest complaint about the old system - just get 3-4 first downs, center and kick, and your opponent loses.

Let's say the rules are tweaked to give a team a possession no matter what. Then there's less incentive to go on fourth down on the first possession. Then more anti-climactic possessions after a first-possession touchdown. Extra-points are added. You get that tying touchdown and in the regular season, you're probably just about out of time.

I think I'd rather wait to change the rules. We've just had one game with an outcome a lot of people didn't like. What I'd really hate is a switch to some carnival game.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:12 PM   #2897
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Well, at least 2 if you count KC getting the treatment 3 years ago. I swear i read that 6 of the last 8 OT games in the playoffs have been won on the 1st possession.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 07:21 PM   #2898
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Well, at least 2 if you count KC getting the treatment 3 years ago. I swear i read that 6 of the last 8 OT games in the playoffs have been won on the 1st possession.

It's true. And 7 of 11 since the rule was changed. The average number of overtime possessions in the postseason is 2.0 since the rule changed. And 2.7 during the regular season, which is quite a difference.

Small sample size aside, I wonder why that is. The average score headed into overtime is 24.9 points per team postseason, 23.6 regular season.

So... 7 of 11 in the playoffs (.636) and 28 of 152 in the regular season (.184). That is really strange, to be honest.

Last edited by Solecismic : 01-25-2022 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:30 PM   #2899
bhlloy
Coordinator

Playoff teams typically have better offenses and are more motivated? That’s all I can think of really.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 07:37 PM   #2900
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
The best part of the Ravens' approach is that it would definitely lead to a Mike McCarthy type coach horribly screwing it up and ending up giving the other team the ball on the 50 or something and then try to justify it in the post-game press conference with a non sequitur like "Well, considering how much cover-3 they were playing, we thought that this gave us the best chance to win."

Absolutely this. This is both the reason I want this format and also why I think it won't happen. There's much more thought and analysis that would have to go into this decision than coaches want to have to make.

I do somewhat like the home team proposal. Really amps up the home field advantage even more in the playoffs. My biggest qualm would probably be the wild card round where an 8-9 division winner gets both the home game and the OT possession against a 12-5 team that didn't win their division. That doesn't necessarily sit any better with me than a coin toss.

For playoffs, how about give it to the team with the better record, applying standard tie-break procedures? Teams would still know going into the game whose going to get the ball to start OT.

Last edited by Carman Bulldog : 01-25-2022 at 07:46 PM.