Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-30-2022, 08:38 PM   #3051
bhlloy
Coordinator

The only thing I’ll say there is Burrow is more athletic and way better at reading the pocket breaking down than Jimmy G, but yeah. SF offensive line was very solid tonight overall and Cincy is… not
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 08:38 PM   #3052
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Cardinals could certainly make the super bowl at home again next season.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 08:39 PM   #3053
Kodos
Resident Alien

Happy for Stafford.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:46 PM   #3054
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I thought Garoppolo was decent, but the Rams' defensive line was fantastic. Donald in particular. Still, it's Lance's team next year. Has to be.

The Lions have one playoff win in the last 64 seasons. Stafford has three in three weeks.

I'm sure the Bengals have faced longer odds, but they have their hands full. This Rams team looks in peak form right now, and they've been vetted in the toughest division in the league.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 09:03 PM   #3055
QuikSand
lolzcat

It's amazing how the ability to get serious QB pressure with only four rushers changes the game of pro football, even in this pass-happy offensive circus setting we sometimes complain about.

I don't know what combination of scheme, coaching, and talent is required to flip that switch, but boy does it make up for a lot.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 09:13 PM   #3056
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Cardinals could certainly make the super bowl at home again next season.

Not if they can't cure their second half of the season collapses
Old 01-30-2022, 09:15 PM   #3057
Thomkal
Head Coach

Almost got the teams I wanted in the Super Bowl, but two close games made for a good football Sunday. Congrats to the Rams and their fans
Old 01-30-2022, 09:25 PM   #3058
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I thought Garoppolo was decent, but the Rams' defensive line was fantastic. Donald in particular. Still, it's Lance's team next year. Has to be.

The Lions have one playoff win in the last 64 seasons. Stafford has three in three weeks.

I'm sure the Bengals have faced longer odds, but they have their hands full. This Rams team looks in peak form right now, and they've been vetted in the toughest division in the league.

The Bengals faced longer odds today. I'm still in the same place I was at the beginning of the playoffs, they can beat anyone and they can lose to anyone. They'll rightfully be the underdog again, but they can win.
Old 01-31-2022, 08:27 AM   #3059
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Ha!

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 08:54 AM   #3060
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
JT O'Sullivan just posted a video on youtube (The QB School) talking about this. He takes the rather "extreme" position of saying that not only should you never use timeouts to save a delay of game penalty, he also said that, except in extremely rare situation, you should never clock the ball either. He said every team should have several one-word play calls for their 2-minute offense so that you never need to clock it.

Anyway, here's the video:

Great video. Thanks for the link. He poses an interesting question early on: If you could negate a false start or delay of game penalty by sacrificing a timeout, would you?
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:36 AM   #3061
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
JT O'Sullivan just posted a video on youtube (The QB School) talking about this. He takes the rather "extreme" position of saying that not only should you never use timeouts to save a delay of game penalty, he also said that, except in extremely rare situation, you should never clock the ball either. He said every team should have several one-word play calls for their 2-minute offense so that you never need to clock it.

Anyway, here's the video:

Yeah this is what I mentioned earlier in regards to the Cowboys situation. Relying on spiking the ball costs you extra time. The Cowboys actually did get the snap off (according to official play by play), but the spike came when time ran out. If they had a default play call, they could've had their extra chance.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 03:24 PM   #3062
RainMaker
General Manager

Two plays that I thought were huge this weekend.

- Play before the half for the Chiefs. Score a TD in that spot and the game might just be over. FG and you've padded a nice lead and go into the half with momentum. Felt like that playcall was a bit arrogant and bit them in the ass later on.

- 3rd and 2 for the 49ers at midfield. No clue why you're giving to your FB and why your best offensive player is on the sidelines. For all the credit Shanahan deserved for that 3rd and 7 call against the Packers, this was the opposite.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 04:49 PM   #3063
sabotai
General Manager

I think the play before the end of the half is far more on Mahomes than Reid. Only 5 seconds on the clock, but that's still enough for a quick pass and if you don't immediately like what you see, fire it over everyone's head in the endzone and kick the FG. Mahomes never should have even looked to the flat. Terrible awareness of the situation on his part.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 04:51 PM   #3064
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
I think the play before the end of the half is far more on Mahomes than Reid. Only 5 seconds on the clock, but that's still enough for a quick pass and if you don't immediately like what you see, fire it over everyone's head in the endzone and kick the FG. Mahomes never should have even looked to the flat. Terrible awareness of the situation on his part.

It sure looked like the play was completely designed to go to Tyreek in the flat... maybe there was a throw-away option but it couldn't have developed enough to really tell the contours. So, maybe some QB hero-ball there, but I think a too-high-risk play call.
Old 01-31-2022, 04:55 PM   #3065
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
It sure looked like the play was completely designed to go to Tyreek in the flat... maybe there was a throw-away option but it couldn't have developed enough to really tell the contours. So, maybe some QB hero-ball there, but I think a too-high-risk play call.

I take back what I said. I just went back and watched the replay of the play a few times. It was 100% a designed play to Hill. It doesn't even look like anyone else was really running a route. So yeah, Andy Reid done fucked there.

Edit: Or at least, Mahomes should have seen the defense didn't bite on the play fake and launched it over Hill's head. Or maybe it was an RPO and Mahomes read it wrong or the defense had both options shut down. Whatever it was, too cute playcalling from Reid there. 5 seconds to go, give Mahomes a very fast, easy read and if it's not there, throw it away and kick the FG.

Last edited by sabotai : 01-31-2022 at 04:59 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 06:01 PM   #3066
miami_fan
Coordinator

Nobody cares because they won, but Sean McVay did a pretty good Andy Reid impersonation on the sidelines yesterday with his time management.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 06:02 PM   #3067
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Nobody cares because they won, but Sean McVay did a pretty good Andy Reid impersonation on the sidelines yesterday with his time management.

McVay and Shanahan were not putting on a coaching clinic in that 2nd half.
Old 02-01-2022, 11:37 AM   #3068
stevew
Hall Of Famer

7 years ago today, the Seahawks threw on the goal line.
Old 02-01-2022, 12:01 PM   #3069
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
7 years ago today, the Seahawks threw on the goal line.

I still maintain throwing is fine. The problem was throwing to the middle, where the defense is going to be bunched up anyways.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 01:50 PM   #3070
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think it was fine even throwing to the middle. Statistically, it's fine. It's only tradition that says you don't do that. People forget/ignore how extremely unlikely that interception was. Outliers happen.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 02:27 PM   #3071
spleen1015
Coordinator

Butler made a great play.

Everyone always blames which ever side does the bad part. Rarely does the side who did the good part get any credit.
Old 02-01-2022, 02:29 PM   #3072
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

What people dont forget is you had one of the toughest, hard-nosed running backs in the NFL in the backfield and needed to get just 1 yard. Plus it was like 2nd down and 45 seconds or something like that. Just dumb.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 02:40 PM   #3073
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

First down, 1 yard line, 26 seconds left, one timeout available.

Lynch had run at will against the Pats all day and on the previous play was only stopped from a TD by a heroic tackle by Hightower.

I can certainly see the logic behind the throw - the Patriots were clearly expecting another Lynch run, but why then throw it in the middle where everyone was instead of a lower-risk outside route?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 02:56 PM   #3074
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm not a big fan of the Bengals or Rams. It's great that Burrow has come so far and has contributed so much. Also, Bengals has QB2 Brandon Allen from the Hogs.

But I remember Stafford at UGA and the years of penance at Detroit. Since Burrow has time on his side, I'll root for Stafford.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 04:25 PM   #3075
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Since Burrow has time on his side, I'll root for Stafford.

1984 Dan Marino disagrees.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 04:44 PM   #3076
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I still maintain throwing is fine. The problem was throwing to the middle, where the defense is going to be bunched up anyways.

Yeah, throwing is fine but that particular playcall was terrible. Why not line up under center and run a bootleg? Patriots didn't have to sellout for the run in that formation.
Old 02-04-2022, 05:43 AM   #3077
miami_fan
Coordinator

Is Zac Taylor a good coach?

I have been listening to podcasts over the last 2-3 weeks and the consensus has been at best that he has not screwed anything up. He does not seem to get any credit for creating a good culture, offensive scheme, development of Joe Burrow, game management or any of the stuff that coaches whose teams get to the Super Bowl usually get.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 02-04-2022, 11:02 AM   #3078
JPhillips
General Manager

I think Taylor does a few things really well.

First, the players love him and they play hard, all the time, regardless of the score. I think the Bengals have the best locker room in football, and ZT has to get some of the credit for that.

Second, he hired a great staff. I think this is one of the toughest things for first-time HCs, but Anarumo and Callahan have done really well, and keeping Simmons for STs has also worked.

Third, he and the coordinators make good halftime adjustments. They've got a great scoring differential in the third quarter due to their ability to adjust the gameplan on both offense and defense based on what has happened in the first half.

They are a very disciplined team. They don't make a lot of mistakes and they have very few penalties. That's tough to do with a team mostly comprised of youg guys and FAs.

All of that, on balance, I think makes him a good HC, but there are areas where I think he needs to improve.

I think he needs to give up playcalling. Not only is there evidence that HC play callers lose effectiveness rather quickly, but he's too reliant on the run on early downs. The team really took off late in the season when the first down run percentage dropped, but now in the playoffs he's back to pushing the run on first down too often.

For as good as the halftime adjustments are, the team often looks unprepared in the first quarter. They won't be able to count on comebacks for long. They need to be better at anticipating the gameplan of opponents.

They played to the level of their competition this year. They have a lot of great wins, especially the four division wins against the Ravens and Steelers, but the lost to the Jets and the Bears and just barely beat the Jags.

Overall, I think I was wrong about him. He reminds me a lot of Dusty Baker, a guy with flaws, but a guy that also seems to get the most out of his players. It's hard for me to imagine the team playing better with any other HC.
Old 02-06-2022, 05:24 PM   #3079
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So how bout that pro bowl?
Old 02-06-2022, 05:41 PM   #3080
Izulde
Head Coach

What a fucking horrible hire by Miami.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 07:34 PM   #3081
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Is Zac Taylor a good coach?

I have been listening to podcasts over the last 2-3 weeks and the consensus has been at best that he has not screwed anything up. He does not seem to get any credit for creating a good culture, offensive scheme, development of Joe Burrow, game management or any of the stuff that coaches whose teams get to the Super Bowl usually get.

You would be surprised how many coaches struggle with that part. But yes, ZT is a very good young coach who still hasn't hit his ceiling.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 07:46 PM   #3082
bhlloy
Coordinator

Clearly, you can't be a HC if you are a successful OC who doesn't call your own teams plays right? Isn't that why nobody has hired Bienemy?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:42 PM   #3083
QuikSand
lolzcat

ugh
Old 02-07-2022, 01:35 AM   #3084
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So how bout that pro bowl?

I watched until the the 3rd offensive play, when on a 3rd & 1 neither line engages and the RB walked into a waiting D player after 2 yards, like when you hug your parents

Not for me
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 12:55 PM   #3085
RainMaker
General Manager

Nevada Department of Corrections is building quite the football team.
Old 02-07-2022, 01:46 PM   #3086
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I guess I knew at some point that the Pro Bowl was essentially half-hearted two-hand touch, but it's been so long since I've watched it that I must have forgotten. So when I turned it on, I was completely surprised to see a guy stop running when he got lightly grabbed around the waist.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 02:19 PM   #3087
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

They should really make it flag football.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 02:44 PM   #3088
cuervo72
Head Coach

I saw one play and yeah, the lines stood up and did nothing, receiver caught the ball and stopped running when hugged. It was never that bad from what I remembered, at least not in the 80s. Might be that long since I've paid attention to it.
Old 02-07-2022, 02:53 PM   #3089
cuervo72
Head Coach

1981 Pro Bowl!

1981 Pro Bowl 1st Half - YouTube

(Damn, Joe Delaney... )
Old 02-07-2022, 03:02 PM   #3090
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Bring back the days when the pro and college players tried to kill each other.

Or not. It's a silly exercise. At least they stopped playing beach football when that poor rookie almost lost a leg.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 03:07 PM   #3091
RainMaker
General Manager

I couldn't watch it but it still pulls in big TV numbers so who knows.
Old 02-07-2022, 03:15 PM   #3092
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I couldn't watch it but it still pulls in big TV numbers so who knows.

as long as you can bet on it the numbers will be big.

Last edited by Lathum : 02-07-2022 at 03:15 PM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:27 PM   #3093
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
as long as you can bet on it the numbers will be big.

This post was a bit shocking. I am not saying that I did not know that you could bet on football. I vaguely remember seeing the betting odds from a TV graphic but never gave it any thought. I just had a picture of a guy pushing stacks of bills to a guy in a betting booth flash through my eyes.
Old 02-07-2022, 08:51 PM   #3094
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
This post was a bit shocking. I am not saying that I did not know that you could bet on football. I vaguely remember seeing the betting odds from a TV graphic but never gave it any thought. I just had a picture of a guy pushing stacks of bills to a guy in a betting booth flash through my eyes.

You're surprised you can bet on the pro bowl or football in general? I actually made a good chunk of change on the game.

You can bet on a lot of things, including Russian ping pong.
Old 02-08-2022, 05:33 AM   #3095
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
You're surprised you can bet on the pro bowl or football in general? I actually made a good chunk of change on the game.

You can bet on a lot of things, including Russian ping pong.

Not surprised. I know you can gamble on it. I just equate it to gambling on exhibition games to gambling on 10U youth baseball games. I know it happens but it is a bit shocking when you view the reality of it.
Old 02-08-2022, 02:37 PM   #3096
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I had no reason to watch the Texans, but is Davis Mills actually semi competent? He had a rough couple games with 4 and 2 picks when they got absolutely steam rolled. His last 5 starts look fairly respectable for someone with no line, running game or receivers.
Old 02-08-2022, 03:22 PM   #3097
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I had no reason to watch the Texans, but is Davis Mills actually semi competent? He had a rough couple games with 4 and 2 picks when they got absolutely steam rolled. His last 5 starts look fairly respectable for someone with no line, running game or receivers.

He can play. I watched him a decent amount because of fantasy. I would take him over Tua right now
Old 02-09-2022, 07:38 PM   #3098
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Antonio Brown and Kanye West are a perfect match. 'Looking forward' to more 'country of Africa' level tweets.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:16 PM   #3099
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
David Shaw, his Stanford coach, was very high on him. I know many college coaches are high on their own players, but Shaw also coached Andrew Luck and I don't think he's the type to unnecessarily pump a player's tires.

From what I understand, and I don't watch college or follow HS recruiting, Mills was a fairly highly touted HS recruit. His college starts were quite limited. Last spring, there was some talk that if he would have returned for another year at Stanford and instead come out this year, he would have been a likely first round pick, and a high one at that.

Last edited by Carman Bulldog : 02-10-2022 at 08:16 PM.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:27 PM   #3100
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
David Shaw, his Stanford coach, was very high on him. I know many college coaches are high on their own players, but Shaw also coached Andrew Luck and I don't think he's the type to unnecessarily pump a player's tires.

From what I understand, and I don't watch college or follow HS recruiting, Mills was a fairly highly touted HS recruit. His college starts were quite limited. Last spring, there was some talk that if he would have returned for another year at Stanford and instead come out this year, he would have been a likely first round pick, and a high one at that.

I had to refresh my memory with some Google, but yeah, Mills was the top-rated pro style QB of his class. Started playing QB at age 6, had a private QB tutor by early (or before) middle school (same QB whisperer that worked with Chase Brice, Trevor Lawrence, and Harrison Bailey in their MS/HS years). He was successful at a smaller HS, the level of competition might have been the only questionable from his HS days.

Had he made a different college choice (somewhere higher profile for example), he'd likely have gotten much more attention as a prospect (or suspect)