Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > FOFC NCAA Football Online Dynasties
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-21-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Dropping out of all three leagues

I thought I'd make a post here rather than in each league thread, but I'm retiring from all three dynasties, effective immediately. The human vs. human games are why I do these, but I just don't have the skills anymore to keep up with everyone, and rather than embarrassing myself, I'll gracefully step aside. It's been a whole lot of fun playing against everybody, and see y'all around.

Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

Thanks for the heads up, but don't forget: Most of us aren't stick-masters at this point. We have a few guys who are monsters, but most folks are like me -- not terrible, but way past our prime. Sure you can't reconsider?

Maybe next year we should have a premier league, and a league of middle-aged husbands who are on the downside of their video-game career.

Last edited by Kodos : 05-21-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Dammit Karl
Old 05-21-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Thanks for the heads up, but don't forget: Most of us aren't stick-masters at this point. We have a few guys who are monsters, but most folks are like me -- not terrible, but way past our prime. Sure you can't reconsider?

Maybe next year we should have a premier league, and a league of middle-aged husbands who are on the downside of their video-game career.

I like this idea of this...and I would like you to reconsider. I know it can be tough after a loss (no offense of course) but active and cool people like yourself make the league more enjoyable.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:22 PM   #5
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Personally, I really like the idea of seperating the leagues based on skill levels instead of time zones, although it will be hard to classify some guys that are on the border of a skill level. I know that playing some of the elite guys can be incredibly frustrating.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-21-2009 at 04:23 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:25 PM   #6
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I'd also like to remind everyone that there is a very strong possibility of there being a Coach-Only league next year.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
Logan
Head Coach

I also wish Karl reconsiders...still the best game I've played was me as Texas Tech vs him as Clemson waaaaay back in the day, I think when we messed around with a tournament back before the leagues were underway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Personally, I really like the idea of seperating the leagues based on skill levels instead of time zones, although it will be hard to classify some guys that are on the border of a skill level. I know that playing some of the elite guys can be incredibly frustrating.

I also like this idea, and think the best way to go about it is to have people volunteer for which league they'd rather be part of. If someone out there isn't a great player, but would rather play the stronger competition, they should be allowed to do so.

In the case of where someone might be signing up for the lighter league when they really should be a level up, there's a simple solution: by signing up, you agree to abide by where FOFC decides you should play. If three people think you should be a level up, you move up, no arguments. We've all played a decent number of people by now, so there should be a general consensus as to your skill level and whether you fit in that league. Like I would obviously understand why DeTox wouldn't want me in the B-league with him.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:05 PM   #8
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Like I would obviously understand why DeTox wouldn't want me in the B-league with him.

ditto
Old 05-21-2009, 08:01 PM   #9
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I also wish Karl reconsiders...still the best game I've played was me as Texas Tech vs him as Clemson waaaaay back in the day, I think when we messed around with a tournament back before the leagues were underway.

I also like this idea, and think the best way to go about it is to have people volunteer for which league they'd rather be part of. If someone out there isn't a great player, but would rather play the stronger competition, they should be allowed to do so.

In the case of where someone might be signing up for the lighter league when they really should be a level up, there's a simple solution: by signing up, you agree to abide by where FOFC decides you should play. If three people think you should be a level up, you move up, no arguments. We've all played a decent number of people by now, so there should be a general consensus as to your skill level and whether you fit in that league. Like I would obviously understand why DeTox wouldn't want me in the B-league with him.

I like this idea as well, the only problem I see is for the guys that are tweeners, and the teams we start and compete with. I see myself in the middle with ave. skills, but I can't hang with the big boys even with a great team!

Last edited by Mike1409 : 05-21-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Mike1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:35 PM   #10
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Man ... I think Karl beat me in our only matchups so I must really suck.

It would be tough to separate the wizards from the 30-something weekend warriors but it makes sense. I've played the best I can against Sun and neb and at my best I can't keep it within three TDs. That's OK, I don't mind. But the most enjoyable games I've played are when both humans are evenly matched, win or lose.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:23 PM   #11
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:

I would definitely fall into this category. I love playing this game, and have great success against the CPU, but don't let my 2-0 human vs. human start in NOFL fool you. I could have easily lost both games. Based on what I've learned about my league, I would say Sun and some others will hand my ass to me on a silver platter. I would love to see a division like this, would make for some great epic games (like kc and I had....definitely a budding rivalry there!)
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:31 AM   #12
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I also want to add that there is absolutely no bitterness or anything behind my decision. Truth be told, I started to feel hints of burnout when playing the cpu, and I want a little decompression time before '10 comes out, so there's also that.

Thanks, guys.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:41 AM   #13
WVUFAN
College Starter

At least you've won more than 1 human/human game, Karl, unlike me.

I'd really love a Coach-Only league.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:46 AM   #14
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post

+1

This is a good time to bring up my thoughts on this that I've tossed around with Radii a bit.

I've been pretty vocal at times about my frustrations with my inability to compete. I definitely think that we either need to split up the leagues, or at least have a "lower" level league.

What I'd like to propose is a "House Rules" league. I've thought about some House Rules that I think would help level the playing field and also not make us completely dominate the CPU:

1) Some sort of recruiting limits. The two things that jump to mind for me are either a) you cannot recruit 5* players and/or b) you cannot recruit players with a speed above X (A-?).

2) Special Teams - CPU controls kick returns, Fair Catch all punts.

3) Sliders - As much as I complained, I like something similar to what we have now.

4) Option - DENIED. I'm really iffy on this one. There are legitimate ways to use the option, but unless they change something in '10 it is just so overpowered.

5) Think about team selection harder. Potentially make certain states "off-limits" (i.e. Texas, Florida) because of the large benefit in recruiting. Potentially eye-ball certain teams that should be off-limits (I think some teams benefited because they were rated 78-79, but had TONS of speed).

As for the stick-skills. I think it will be pretty easy to tell if someone should move up. If they're consistently beating top 10-20 teams by 5-7 TDs, they don't belong in the "House Rules" league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:03 AM   #15
Kodos
Resident Alien

In 2010, we could hypothetically create a Solecismic 8 type conference with all cupcake schools, and have people only have access to those teams. It'd start everyone off on equal footing.

I think it'd be neat to create a college version of my Rochester Lake Monsters from IHOF.

Last edited by Kodos : 05-22-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:17 AM   #16
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
In 2010, we could hypothetically create a Solecismic 8 type conference with all cupcake schools, and have people only have access to those teams. It'd start everyone off on equal footing.

I think it'd be neat to create a college version of my Rochester Lake Monsters from IHOF.

Oh yeah, forgot about that part.

I think it's a good idea in theory, but I'm not sure how you deal with creating the right balance of players unless you just mirror some existing team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:26 AM   #17
Kodos
Resident Alien

I figured we would just mirror some crappy teams.

Or, alternatively, we could move a bunch of crappy teams into one conference. We could even use our favorite schools, but have their rosters be crap to start with and lower their prestige to 3 stars.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:47 PM   #18
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post

It would be tough to separate the wizards from the 30-something weekend warriors but it makes sense. I've played the best I can against Sun and neb and at my best I can't keep it within three TDs. That's OK, I don't mind. But the most enjoyable games I've played are when both humans are evenly matched, win or lose.

I was thinking the same thing...I am 0-2 against Karl.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:32 PM   #19
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yep. Karl kicked my ass in our only head-to-head game. Of course, it had to be in a bowl, which made it doubly bad.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:10 PM   #20
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Sorry to hear that Karl. You should've won our matchup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Dammit Karl
Why do you say this? We (my wife and I) say this a lot as a quote from the Friends episode where Joey has a "twin".
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote