Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > FOFC NCAA Football Online Dynasties
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

Thumbs up The MBBF-Free Console Discussion Thread

Feel free to discuss the consoles here without the annoyance of MBBF-posts. As moderator, I will delete any MBBF-post in this thread. Just another public service provided by your favorite resident alien.

Last edited by Kodos : 11-22-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
And this might be the first console discussion thread seen by those that have him on ignore.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 11-22-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Kodos for president!

I have a co-worker who has both systems so when he calls me on Monday, I'll post his thoughts.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
Logan
Head Coach

The Chiefs stink.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quick initial impressions here:

- Briefly watched one of the PS4s get hooked up and played, NBA2k14 was beautiful at 1080P (looked like playing on my PC...), and the "play while installing" worked decent. Things like announcers were missing while installing, and we some animation glitches that MAY have been because they hadn't installed yet, but once the install finished the announcers kicked in without the game having to restart.

- Watched one XboxONE get hooked up today. The Kinect did a good job of picking up the player setting it up since he was in the foreground and ignoring all of us standing around watching. Was fun watching him try to use the controller to set things up while everyone else was trying to use voice commands to go straight to the action (and the voice commands were working pretty well, including "stop listening" ;-)

Very very early though, haven't beat on either one yet. I suspect folks will be happy with either one they buy.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I have an Xbox One (and a PS4 still in the box) waiting on me at home. My reason for going with the Xbone is because it is a clear step up from its predecessor. In my eyes the system is truly innovating and not just updated hardware. I want my console to be my true entertainment center, where flipping from games to Netflix to cable can be done seamlessly. I am sure the PS4 is great, and I will probably get one for myself at some point, but for what I want out my system the Xbox offers it.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #7
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post
I have an Xbox One (and a PS4 still in the box) waiting on me at home. My reason for going with the Xbone is because it is a clear step up from its predecessor. In my eyes the system is truly innovating and not just updated hardware. I want my console to be my true entertainment center, where flipping from games to Netflix to cable can be done seamlessly. I am sure the PS4 is great, and I will probably get one for myself at some point, but for what I want out my system the Xbox offers it.

This is where I am as well regarding the Xbox One. I was really disappointed when DirecTV cancelled the Microsoft Media Center integration product. While the features with the Xbox One aren't the same as that, it is a big step in that direction. Having one portal to all of your living room entertainment is a holy grail I've been chasing for a long time.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Is this more

or

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Old 11-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #9
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I love you Kodos.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 11-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #10
cartman
Death Herald

Ars Technica with their 'tale of the tape' comparison between the PS4 and Xbox One:
Head-to-head: Everything you need to know in the PS4 vs. Xbox One battle | Ars Technica
Old 11-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Sold my pre-order X1. I like the potential it brings but would rather watch from the sideline at first to see how it all turns out.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Old 11-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #12
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Ars Technica with their 'tale of the tape' comparison between the PS4 and Xbox One:
Head-to-head: Everything you need to know in the PS4 vs. Xbox One battle | Ars Technica

I love the highest rated comment there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by comment
"But if you held a gun to my head and said I had to pick a system today, I'd probably point toward the Xbox One" - Kyle Orland, arstechnica.com

I think Microsoft should print this quote on the outside of Xbox One's packaging

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Old 11-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #13
Kodos
Resident Alien

They're both kinda homely.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #14
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Great thread.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #15
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Got mine set up tonight, still downloading games and whatnot.

I said in the other thread how nice NBA 2k14 looked on the PS4 - Forza looks just as good on the One. I love 1080P instead of 720P, even if they render at a lower resolution many games on both earlier platforms didn't render at the full 720P either, so it's an upgrade either way. Very gorgeous. I'll likely play Battlefield 4 tomorrow for a bigger test.

Forza has a lot of cloud stuff I'm curious about - as you race, you can opt to have your profile uploaded, to appear in other racer's matches. Their AI is entirely based on cloud-based learning algorithms that use other human's playstyles as input. Really curious to see how that works in practice, would be the first real test of Microsoft's cloud access for the One.

I'm still figuring out my way around the UI - Settings isn't directly available (maybe by voice command, didn't try) but rather is an "App", so you have to go to the App area.

No drive problems - installed one game from disc, and watched a bit of a Blu-Ray to make sure that works, both were fine.

Kinect worked great for recognizing me and my wife, and we had fun with the jetski game from Kinect Sports Rivals Preseason. Lots more precision - you open/close hand to control the throttle, for example.

So far a successful first evening.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #16
cartman
Death Herald

It appears the doomsday predictions of Sony burying Microsoft out of the gate did not come to pass. The reports of 6 or 7 to 1 ratio of preorders were bunk.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #17
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Feel free to discuss the consoles here without the annoyance of MBBF-posts. As moderator, I will delete any MBBF-post in this thread. Just another public service provided by your favorite resident alien.
Kodos, I respect and love you as a poster. We've been conversing on these boards for a LONG time, and you are and remain one of my favorites of all time.

But this was a total classless thing to say and a huge dick move as a moderator.

If you really wanted to have an unbiased discussion without personalities getting involved, you'd delete any trolling Cartman posts too.

You're much too good to do something like this. Let common sense and class prevail and delete this.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #18
cartman
Death Herald

Where have I trolled in this thread?

Last edited by cartman : 11-23-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #19
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I agree that this is inappropriate. Locking.