Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > FOFC NCAA Football Online Dynasties
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-19-2008, 10:08 PM   #1
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

NOFL: Week 3 has started (deadline is 8/26/08 at 10 PM)

Week 3 has started. Once again, we have no human vs human games, so I'm hopeful we'll get the week done early. 4 teams have byes.

The biggest games of the week:

Arkansas at #8 Texas
NC State at #9 Clemson
Washington vs #10 Oklahoma
Mississippi State vs #15 Auburn

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-19-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:09 PM   #2
Galaxy
Coordinator

I'm not exactly looking forward to this week, after our horrible lost to Buffalo.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:20 PM   #3
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Won 36-21, but I need to stop drinking beer during my games. I was up 13-0 (kicked 2 FGs), but was down 14-13 at halftime.

Foz, I have scheduled some players to visit during our game. I'd appreciate you throwing it.

Also, who's mderrick?
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:26 PM   #4
Kodos
Resident Alien

mderrick is KCChief.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:50 PM   #5
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

With the patch coming out tonight, I'm making sure that human and CPU sliders are both the same since the CPU sliders will now matter. Seems the only fair way to do it with some people playing their games already this week and some compelling arguments were made for not switching sliders mid-season.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:53 PM   #6
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

Unfortunately, the changes I made won't go into effect until next week. It is unavoidable that some people will have a different game experience this week depending upon whether they play pre or post patch.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:07 PM   #7
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

EF27, I'm really on the fence about switching sliders mid-season. Before I was totally against it, but the more I think about it...I dunno. If it's out tonight and we change the sliders BEFORE conference play, then I think I'd be okay with it. Conference play is what really matters, right?

But the problem is...can we decide on some sliders in that short of a time? Not providing any answers really, just questions for now. I wonder what other people think.

BTW, I don't ever want to play MTSU again. That was awful. It seemed like I was playing an FCS school. 105-27 final. I know that's terrible, but I played my 2nd string almost the entire 2nd half. I swear I wasn't trying *too* hard to run up the score

I kinda feel bad when others are playing real teams like Auburn or Texas and I'm playing MTSU. Oh well...it will come around and bite me when I play in the freakin' SEC. The schedule is murderous. Still hoping for 9-3!!!
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:04 PM   #8
Kodos
Resident Alien

The man is hoping for three losses!
Old 08-20-2008, 09:57 PM   #9
bhlloy
Coordinator

How the hell do you stop the spread? Lost 52-44 to Hawaii on a fumble-6 as I was driving for the winning field goal, but still completely ridiculous. Their QB was something like 90% and I couldn't get close to touching him all game.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:34 PM   #10
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Ultra close game against Texas. I almost got a first down late in the game to ice it, but wasn't able to convert. The Horns were able to move the ball against me all game, but I always buckled down in the red zone to stop them. Until the final drive, where they scored a TD with 9 seconds left to win 13-10.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:34 PM   #11
Kodos
Resident Alien

Hmmm. Maybe me switching away from Indiana's spread offense was a mistake....

I dunno. I've had trouble stopping it myself. Especially the underneath passes.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:36 PM   #12
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
How the hell do you stop the spread? Lost 52-44 to Hawaii on a fumble-6 as I was driving for the winning field goal, but still completely ridiculous. Their QB was something like 90% and I couldn't get close to touching him all game.

It's tough. The only way I'm able to consistently win is by forcing turnovers and getting several scores per game from my defense/special teams. MTSU put up three extended drives on me (which ended in TD's) where I was powerless to stop their offense. This doesn't count the fact that time ran out when they were first and goal.

Hopefully the patch will improve things overall.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:38 PM   #13
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
The man is hoping for three losses!

I'm secretly hoping to win my division in the SEC...but I have to temper my expectations being in an online league, which is uncharted territory for me.

Wait, is it a secret if I post it?
Old 08-21-2008, 12:18 AM   #14
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yes. Yes it is.

I finished my exciting recruiting. Yay. Both of my teams had byes this week. Bleh.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:47 AM   #15
Galaxy
Coordinator

We lost to Auburn. Was not as bad as it appears. Our field goal kicker just sucks. I have never seen a kicker as bad as him. He just seems to shank it bad. I told him to go sit in the corner. He's so bad that I prefer to go for it on 4th and 10 inside the 20 (I won't, however, don't worry).
Old 08-21-2008, 07:27 AM   #16
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

I am glad I am not the only one... I lost to Western Kentucky because of them killing me with the spread!!!

BTW - anyone tried the patch to see if the high completion % for AI QBs is toned down any?

Also I am in favor of switching sliders in the middle of the season only 3 games in... Most of us are doing pretty well (except for me) with our current teams and switching sliders shouldn't have too much of an impact on the final outcomes I wouldn't think 3 weeks in... 8-10 weeks would be different... Personally I am a little burned out on the way the game plays with our current slider set (but maybe that is just because I suck)...

Last edited by BigDPW : 08-21-2008 at 07:28 AM.
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:43 AM   #17
BigDPW
College Prospect

I just played a game with the new patch and default sliders and thought it played pretty balanced. There may need to be a few tweaks once we play a few games with the new patch but I don't think we will need any drastic slider changes (from default). Of course I am no slider guru either... You can check out my thoughts about my post-patch game in the main forum...

Here are the highlights:
Pressure on QB improved.
Punt coverage improved.
Kickoff coverage seemed improved to me.
LB cover better in zone defenses (AI and mine).
Old 08-21-2008, 08:44 AM   #18
BigDPW
College Prospect

I worry about playing my game vs. Clemson with the slider set we are using in the dynasty this week... I will probably get killed 4x as bad as I normally would... Oh well at least it is not a game I would "expect" to win (like WKU)
Old 08-21-2008, 04:29 PM   #19
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
mderrick is KCChief.

Ah thanks.

Personally I don't care about sliders. I'll take em all on. Back in my day, we didn't have those pussy sliders!!! We played the game and didn't whine about it!

Last edited by Raiders Army : 08-21-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:35 PM   #20
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Just to be clear, anyone who plays their game out this week post patch will be playing against default offensive sliders for the CPU. For some reason, I didn't match them to human sliders like I thought I did. The defensive and special team sliders are equalized for humans and CPU. This will lead to us having difficulty seeing the "improved pass rush" against the CPU this week for those who play post patch. Next week, I will equalize them across the board.

If there is a majority consensus to change the sliders from what was 1st posted, we'll do that. There is a set already on OS that is drawing rave reviews and it provides for a more challenging experience against the CPU. If we don't get a consensus to change, we'll play with the inital sliders throughout this year, but I will make sure they are equal for both sides after this week.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-21-2008 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:38 PM   #21
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Won 36-21, but I need to stop drinking beer during my games. I was up 13-0 (kicked 2 FGs), but was down 14-13 at halftime.

Foz, I have scheduled some players to visit during our game. I'd appreciate you throwing it.

Also, who's mderrick?

Sure.. we agree to throw it.. over the middle, past your guys, and into the endzone (where we will catch it).

Is that what you meant?
Old 08-21-2008, 08:13 PM   #22
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I'm wondering, with Labor Day weekend coming up, if we shouldn't take a short break after this week's games are played (or play one more week), decide on a set of sliders, and start back up on the Tuesday after Labor Day. That gives any new set of sliders a chance to get vetted a bit, and more than likely people aren't going to be playing over Labor Day weekend. Thoughts?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 08-21-2008 at 08:14 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:56 PM   #23
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Ugh. I just had a great game, yet it was a heartbreaker. We went down 14-0 to Oklahoma early as Locker threw a pick 6 on his first drive. After their defense stopped us, they hit a bomb for 52 yards. My jaw freaking dropped! The only plus was we nailed Bradford as he threw it and took him out for 2 weeks. That slowed down their offense for a while and we slowly got back into the game.

Down 24-21 with 4 minutes to go, Locker threw his 2nd pick of the game (he also had a fumble on an option pitch earlier in the game) and they took advantage of the short field to score quickly. Down 31-21, I thought we were done.. However, Locker led a great drive. We got to the 4, and then he was sacked and lost a bunch of yards. Sacked again for a loss of 2. We end up kicking a FG to make it 31-24 with 1:25 to go. I consider the onside, but we have 3 timeouts, so I kick it deep.

They run it the first play. We call timeout and I coach my team to get the ball back. The next run, their HB fumbles, and we get it! Locker with a quick pass to his WR ties it at 31 with 54 seconds to go. The CPU proceeeds to run a MASTERFUL 2 minute drive. 8-14 yard out passes all the way down the field. With them in field goal range, I blitz with 15 seconds left and they throw it to their WR who runs to the 9 but is drilled by our FS. He fumbles, we recover!!! Except the play is reversed because of a late hit on the QB that results in a 15 yard penalty

That puts the on the 6. They run it 1 more time. We ice the kicker, but he makes it and they win 34-31. My most fun game of 09, despite the heartbreaking loss.

Things that I saw that I've never seen before:

- The CPU chased down one of my CB's after a pick. I had a good 10 yard lead, but a WR came out of no where and tackled my returner. They held us to a FG on that possession. I'm not sure if that is patch tuning or just Oklahoma's speed.

- The CPU actually ran a successful screen against me.

- I definitely saw more pressure on the QB, not a lot more, but more.

- Based on the game playing significantly different, I'm recommending that we change sliders after this week or go with Cartman's plan and do it after Labor Day. I want to get more feedback on this from everyone, so please post your thoughts about changing sliders (likely going with one of the OS sets or at least a variant of one.)

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-21-2008 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:59 PM   #24
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

By the way, we are now done week 3 and we could advance tonight. However, I'm going to wait at least until tomorrow at 5:00 central to get thoughts on this issue from the rest of you. I have equalized the sliders for both human and CPU though.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:15 PM   #25
Galaxy
Coordinator

I say it's fine. If you just equalize them as you did, we can adjust them as we progress.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:21 PM   #26
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I just played an amazing 5-OT game as Kentucky vs Florida in year 3 of my offline dynasty. Sliders worked well (same ones we're using for the online dynasty) and my D-Line got some pressure when I needed it against Florida's Tebow-clone.

I say go ahead and advance it so we can get a jump on the games this weekend.

Rough week for our dynasty though. We went 3-5 overall, including 0-4 against ranked teams. My confidence has really been shaken with the release of this new patch. At least I get one more warmup game before I play the brutal SEC schedule.

The more I play NCAA Football games...the more I agree with BCS coaches scheduling all cupcakes in the non-conference. There's very little to gain from what I can see.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:29 PM   #27
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

2 votes to advance tonight. I'll be up another hour. If we get 3 more votes to advance tonight, I'll do so as I could go either way on this issue.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:33 PM   #28
Kodos
Resident Alien

I vote to advance as well.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:43 AM   #29
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

If there is no consensus to change sliders by 5 tonight, I'll advance at 5:00 PM tonight assuming I don't hit a traffic jam while driving home.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:55 AM   #30
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I have no problem changing sliders.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:56 AM   #31
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Sure.. we agree to throw it.. over the middle, past your guys, and into the endzone (where we will catch it).

Is that what you meant?

ummmm....sure! Watch out for my safeties though!
Old 08-22-2008, 09:33 AM   #32
BigDPW
College Prospect

I got killed by Clemson this week... I picked their first pass off (again my Freshman LB - Terrell Manning) and that set up a FG to go up 3-0... After that they rattled off about 63 unanswered points... My stick skills are not what they used to be...
Old 08-22-2008, 10:04 AM   #33
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

First and foremost, Maui is BEAUTIFUL. I've been here before, but it still blows me away everytime...by the way tomorrow is the big day

Second, I'm for whatever everybody agrees is best for the league. I know week 5 is when I'm due to play EF, so my selfish reasoning says lets do what cartman says and take a short break which would allow me to play that game...because I know that it would be a garaunteed loss on my record if EF plays the CPU. But I also know the best thing really is to go with whatever everybody here wants to do. So, I'll keep checking in everyday since I wake up an hour or so before the old lady does anyway.

Yay on the new patch by the way.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:07 AM   #34
Kodos
Resident Alien

Maui. You lucky bastard! Went there for our honeymoon just about 5 years ago. Love it there. Favorite place on Earth.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:16 AM   #35
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Maui. You lucky bastard! Went there for our honeymoon just about 5 years ago. Love it there. Favorite place on Earth.

It's rediculously beautiful here, it has all the perks of a tropical island and they just happen to be using United States dollars. Next friday (the 29th) we're going to Kauai for a week, which I here is supposed to be even more beautiful than here. I'm absolutely stoked...I'll have to post some nice pictures when I get back.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:24 AM   #36
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Have a great time in Maui!

I'm going to set up a poll to see how many people want to take a break over the holiday weekend. I'm going to be around and would like to keep playing as I think the momentum we have is important to maintain, and most people can play their game before or after the holiday weekend with a week time period, but I'm also open to taking a break. I'm also going to set up a separate poll to see if people want to change sliders how after we have more time to evaluate the sets from OS (i.e. after this upcoming week.)

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-22-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:48 AM   #37
Galaxy
Coordinator

Have a great time with the new wife in Maui. Just curious, when do you get back from Hawaii?
Old 08-22-2008, 10:51 AM   #38
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I get back the evening of September 7th, which is a sunday. Our itinerary looks like this.

Maui - August 20th - 29th
Kauai - August 29th - September 4th
Disneyland - September 4th - 7th

I should high speed access everywhere we stay.