Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > FOFC NCAA Football Online Dynasties
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-23-2008, 02:48 PM   #1
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

NOFL: Slider Discussion Thread

We are definitely changing slider for week 5 as 7 owners have voted to do so. I've played 3 great games with AA's sliders from OS. He and his league of veteran NCAA owners created this sliders by playing a few dozen games between them over the course of a few days. AA has a history of producing some of the best sliders I've seen for past versions. I didn't write down stats or the other games but here are the results of some other games I played with them. I lost by 21 when I played Washington vs Oklahoma and they ran for about 6 YPC on me. Compared to a recent game in the RFL where I barely lost to them and they couldn't get a run game going.

As I posted in the slider vote thread, I just played a game in my SP dynasty of USC vs Virginia where I won 34-15. With a great USC front 7 and a so-so Virginia offensive line I held them to 3.1 ypc. I also held their QB's to 53% passing which is realistic for a fairly poor QB. Very enjoyable game.

I also played a game last night of Washington vs Oregon State for 2 somewhat comparable teams and it was a back and forth affair that I won 28-24.

I'm going to keep track of my next game in this thread which is USC vs Ohio State and I encourage you all to try these sliders out and/or give feedback on other slider/slider sets you'd like us to consider.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-23-2008 at 02:50 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 03:11 PM   #2
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Oh yeah, here is the slider set:

All American
7min quarters

Offense Human/CPU
QB Accuracy 40/50*
Pass Block 0/0
WR Catch 15/15
RB Ability 45/60
Run Block 25*/100

Defense
Awareness 50/100
Knockdown 100/100
Interception 0/0
Break Block 65/100
Tackle 25/30

Special Teams
FG Power 5/15
FG Accuracy 0/30*
Punt Power 45/50
Punt Accuracy 50/70
Kickoff Power 50/65

All Penalties Maxed out at 100.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Very good game at home against Ohio State. They had a chance to win it, but Boeckman threw his 2nd pick of the game on a final drive that we returned to their 5. That allowed us to go ahead 35-24 in the last minute.

I know drops are a concern with these sliders, but I don't think it is excessive If a WR gets hit hard immediately after he attempts to catch it, it is likely going to be a drop. If a QB throws a bullet as hard as possible, that leads to a drop some times. Otherwise, I'm not seeing drops. Here are the stats from the game:

Sanchez completed over 70% vs Virginia, but this Ohio State defense was much tougher. 55% complete with 19 of 34 for 217 yards with 2 TD's 2 INT's. Long of 54. Sacked 3 times.

Virginia's QB was ineffective, but Boeckman was very effective. 24 of 33 (72%) for 222 yards with 2 TD's 2 INT's. We only sacked him 1 time, but got pressure a few other times. We had 4 or 5 sacks against Virginia.

McKnight: 18 carries for 78 yards and a TD.

Wells: 13 carries for 62 yards. He was injured for a few drives in the 3rd.

Ronald Johnson: 7 catches for 110 yards and 2 TD's (including a bomb for 54 yards - about 45 in the air. The 40 QB accuracy isn't completely preventing deep passes.)

McKnight: 6 catches for 73 yards.

Rory Nicol had 7 catches for 76 yards and a TD.

Our receivers had 4 drops. McKnight with 1, Turner with 1, and Hazelton with 2. Ohio State's receivers had 3 drops - Nicol, Olson, and Small each had 1.

Kick and Punt returns are better post patch, and I no longer feel cheap returning them. I did break one long punt return with Gable, but his average was only 12 yards per return as they stuffed him 3 other times.

We stuffed Ray Small on 3 punt returns and only allowed 8 yards in total.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:13 PM   #4
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I had an amazing game with Kentucky at Florida post-patch. It's the only one I've played so far. It was in my 3rd year at KY and my team has some strong pieces on offense, though we're very young. Florida was ranked #6 and 99 overall (...)

I won like 52-46 in 5 OT! It was one of the best games I've ever had on a console and it was great. Sometimes the DE's almost seem *too* effective, though that could have been the mismatch in talent. Several times the DE's just blew by my O-line and got to me way too quick. Rollouts also seemed tougher to do.

I had some pretty cool games pre-patch, but those were all in season 1 of my dynasty. Season 2 pre-patch was honestly pretty close to a cake-walk (with an 84-rated team in the SEC) and I went undefeated and won with the championship. That was with EF's sliders.

The other night I used AA's sliders and they, along with the patch, seem to make it more challenging. It was just one game, but those are my early impressions.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:19 PM   #5
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I was honestly getting sick of the game pre-patch. Post patch with these sliders, I can't get enough of it today.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:55 PM   #6
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I was honestly getting sick of the game pre-patch. Post patch with these sliders, I can't get enough of it today.

I haven't played it with the post-patch yet. Can't wait to get to it. Do you actually feel like your playing a real game of football, with chess matches abound? Do you take away the easy short passes and roll outs if one calls the right play and makes the hot route adjustments? I look forward to the fact that you can get a pass rush going. Seems like speed could be even more important.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:57 PM   #7
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Don't get me wrong, it's not perfect, but with these sliders, I really did get that chess match feeling in my game against Ohio State. Wells was a pain to stop before he was hurt, but if I brought that 8th man into the box, their pass was hurting me. I've seen the AI go deep at least 1 time per game each of the last 5 games. I never saw it that frequently pre-patch.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:00 PM   #8
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, it's not perfect, but with these sliders, I really did get that chess match feeling in my game against Ohio State. Wells was a pain to stop before he was hurt, but if I brought that 8th man into the box, their pass was hurting me. I've seen the AI go deep at least 1 time per game each of the last 5 games. I never saw it that frequently pre-patch.

Did the cheese plays work? I hated the ability that a person or computer can have on the roll out and the short passes in the middle. How was the pass rush? One complaint I had was the ability for crappy teams to hang with the better teams on a regular basis.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:04 PM   #9
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

The pass rush was much better, particularly against Ohio State. You could really tell that USC's offensive line is a relative weakness. That being said, I was still able to roll away from the pressure with Sanchez at times, and he isn't the fastest QB. It's not perfect (or even close to perfect), but the pass rush is noticably improved.

1 of the cheese plays still works, the other 2 are much harder to do and I'd no longer call them cheese.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:18 PM   #10
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
The pass rush was much better, particularly against Ohio State. You could really tell that USC's offensive line is a relative weakness. That being said, I was still able to roll away from the pressure with Sanchez at times, and he isn't the fastest QB. It's not perfect (or even close to perfect), but the pass rush is noticably improved.

1 of the cheese plays still works, the other 2 are much harder to do and I'd no longer call them cheese.

Nice....

*Takes note of USC's O-Line weakness*
Old 08-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #11
BigDPW
College Prospect

I have not tried any sliders post-patch other than default...

The concern I have about the ones you posted above is that FG accuracy settings being so low? Especially for us... Are you seeing alot of misses on FGs in your games now? This may be compounded if when we play other guys online and have a little lag... On the default settings online I sometimes have trouble hitting FGs with just a little lagging?
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:03 PM   #12
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Maybe I'm better than some at kicking FG's, but I haven't missed a single FG in 5 games. Of course, with these sliders, I don't try anything longer than 45 unless my kicker has a high kick power. I'm certainly open to increasing FG accuracy if that is the consensus.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-24-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:27 PM   #13
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

With the sliders, I usually only make FG's when I have a straight shot.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:10 PM   #14
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Just had a very difficult game against Oregon State (who I expected to blowout) but it was at their place. I'm definitely paying for throwing mistakes. Ended up winning 30-21.

Sanchez: 14 of 23 for 140 yards with 1 TD 2 INT's. Sacked 3 times.

Sean Canfield: 20 of 30 for 166 yards with 2 TD's 1 INT. We sacked him 4 times.

McKnight: 20 carries for 102 yards and a TD.

Patrick Fuller was averaging 4 yards per carry in the first half, but we shut him down in the 2nd half. 16 carries for 37 yards and a TD.

We had 3 drops, although I think McKnight dropped 1 other ball that wasn't an official drop. They had 2 drops.

All of my sacks came from DE's which was cool. Everson Griffen had 3 and Kyle Moore had 1.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:17 PM   #15
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I've had a chance to play a few more games with AA's sliders. I've been having some pretty good games. I think I'll be okay with his sliders, except for QB accuracy. I put a vote to move it back to 50. I'll never forget my first 2 passes with my QB with these sliders...they were both intercepted. The first pass was a simple route and my QB missed this short pass by TEN yards to the left. I was standing still in the pocket, about 5 yards back, and he threw a ball like some shitty high school QB who was running for his life. The next pass was also intercepted, though I can't remember how. I do remember that it also sucked.

I'm no idiot, either. I know when I've "earned" my INT. And these two INT's had me ready to quit the game. They were that horrible and ridiculous.

In my last game as Kentucky vs South Carolina, there were EIGHT INT's in the first half! (four by each team) I admit I made a few bad throws, but two of mine were the INT's listed above. Plus I had two pick-sixes which made the difference in my win against them.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying the sliders thus far (3 games). Seriously though, I'm about ready to switch the QB accuracy back to 50. It produces some ridiculously awful throws by good QB's.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:06 PM   #16
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Yes, there are still too many interceptions that really don't make sense.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:17 PM   #17
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I think the interceptions that don't make sense are from defensive awareness being at 100. Sometimes, it leads to psychic style picks that we saw from last year.

Kingneb, I appreciate your feedback and want more from everyone. What about trying human accuracy at 45 as a good compromise? I think 50 leads to the ability to do too many insane throws (such as perfect throws off the backfoot) and I like that 40 lowers that ability. What was the accuracy of the QB that was having trouble with the short throws?

Here are the minor tweaks I might like to see to these sliders:

- QB Human Accuracy up to 45 (as a compromise.)

- Human Run Blocking up to 30 (poor defensive teams are having a bit too much success against top human teams.)

- Defensive Awareness for the CPU down to 90 (to try to cut down on the WTF INT's a bit.)

Hopefully, these slight modifications won't cut down on the CPU's ability to be competitive and really give a challenge. Thoughts?

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-25-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:20 PM   #18
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
I think the interceptions that don't make sense are from defensive awareness being at 100. Sometimes, it leads to psychic style picks that we saw from last year.

Kingneb, I appreciate your feedback and want more from everyone. What about trying human accuracy at 45 as a good compromise? I think 50 leads to the ability to do too many insane throws (such as perfect throws off the backfoot) and I like that 40 lowers that ability. What was the accuracy of the QB that was having trouble with the short throws?

- Human Run Blocking up to 30 (poor defensive teams are having a bit too much success against top human teams.)

- Defensive Awareness for the CPU down to 90 (to try to cut down on the WTF INT's a bit.)

Hopefully, these slight modifications won't cut down on the CPU's ability to be competitive and really give a challenge. Thoughts?

Sounds good.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:58 PM   #19
Kodos
Resident Alien

Sounds good to me. My stick skills ain't great, so making things a bit easier sounds alright.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:22 PM   #20
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

I went with AA with these modifications for RFL.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:25 PM   #21
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I went with AA with these modifications for RFL.

Ditto for EBFL.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:07 AM   #22
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm going to go with them for NOFL starting next week as well, unless I hear several dissenting opinions.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:31 PM   #23
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Sounds great. We can always change later if we need to. This will definitely be more of a challenge than the old sliders (along with the update of course).
Old 08-27-2008, 06:31 PM   #24
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Sliders entered and will automatically take effect starting when we advance the week.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:57 PM   #25
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Can we have easier sliders for those of us trapped in the SEC?