Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > FOFC NCAA Football Online Dynasties
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-01-2008, 05:55 PM   #51
Kodos
Resident Alien

FWIW, BigNej, some other owners (besides EF27 and Sun) have expressed concerns with your playing style as well. But then again, I've had a complaint about a number of different guys at one time or another. Hell, I'm probably not above reproach either.

It seems like maybe the novelty of online leagues is wearing off a bit for a lot of people. Everybody has their own ideas of straight versus cheese. Maybe that is too much to reconcile with a dozen people?

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:59 PM   #52
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Sooo...who do we have left to play now?

Old 12-01-2008, 06:00 PM   #53
Galaxy
Coordinator

I'll get my game in tonight.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:02 PM   #54
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I'm still having a great time in all my leagues, fwiw.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:03 PM   #55
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Me too! Since Bignej just dropped, I propose that our game result be thrown out the window
Old 12-01-2008, 06:10 PM   #56
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
FWIW, BigNej, some other owners (besides EF27 and Sun) have expressed concerns with your playing style as well. But then again, I've had a complaint about a number of different guys at one time or another. Hell, I'm probably not above reproach either.

It seems like maybe the novelty of online leagues is wearing off a bit for a lot of people. Everybody has their own ideas of straight versus cheese. Maybe that is too much to reconcile with a dozen people?

I think the problem is that is that we are playing college football. A variety of styles, offenses, defenses, and talent (and type) differences.

In the NOFL, I decided to switch to a Texas Tech style offense (with a lot of shotgun, 3/4/5 wife formations) that will see the close to passing play % that you'll see out of that offense. I guess that might draw some complaints.

HA was a clear cheese player (of course, he wasn't very successful at it). Not realistic at all. I just think it's hard at time because you get into playing the game and sometimes you forget about the advantages of the roll-out (I'm sure we are all guilty of this, I know I am).

Last edited by Galaxy : 12-01-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:17 PM   #57
bignej
High School JV

And that is fair. I honestly feel that I'm being punished for my success. The truth of the matter is that Ive had fun but the last thing I want to do is ruin the experience for anyone else.
I knew when I picked Ohio State they had a great roster. That leads to some lopsided victories. Everyone Ive ever played at FOFC has played has a particular style and runs a small set of plays. They have all developed an offense that works well. The only one where I did not have a huge roster advantage was Eaglesfan27 and USC and he ran the same pass play over and over. Sun throws bombs up the left sideline over and over. My style did not change from the 1st half to the 2nd(only defensively) yet Sun said it was the 2nd half that he lost respect. You know why? That was when he started losing and his rocket catches stopped working. If the final score was any different in these games no one would have complained. I know how emotional people can be when they lose. Sun could not stop the run and that's why he lost. Many people here have shut my run game down. Now I wish if others had a problem, they would have addressed it with me. If there was something questionable and you told me, I could have adjusted. My defensive style has been find something that stops you and stay with it. Sun, EF27 did not change their strategy and once I found a good fit defensively they were done.

Now I have posted how I feel and I stand by it. EF27 said I cheesed and his opinion cannot be wrong and I respect it. Sun never specified. Ive had many great games here and I will remain in my other leagues unless the same thing happens there. I do not want to be the reason for you all not to have fun.

Karl: You will get your chance in the other leagues is nothing else changes.

Last edited by bignej : 12-01-2008 at 06:19 PM.
bignej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:18 PM   #58
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

The rollout I don't really have a problem with. I feel like it can be defended, and if you play it right either you will sack the QB or force enough INT's to turn the game to your favor. EF touched on it perfectly in another thread a while back, where he said there are a handful of plays that you know you have, that will get you X number of yards 90% of the time. Some people may find it's perfectly acceptable to run these plays 80-90% of the time. The arguement that "most people use 5-10 plays all game" is rediculous, and any team in the Pro or College ranks would get blown off the field if they did that. Unfortunately, in video game football that's not the case, and you can run those same plays over and over and score 40+ on anybody you like. Rolling out = fine. Bouncing to the outside = fine. Throwing to the same guy a lot = fine. All of these things are fine in my book, especially since we're playing college ball here. I've said this over and over since we started this whole online dynasty thing. I've been in online leagues that crash and burn, and I've been in ones that have lasted years. The difference is you have to have owners who will do everything in moderation. If you run a Texas Tech style offense and pass 85% of the time...great! Just make sure you aren't calling the same handful of pass plays over and over. I personally don't like to call the same play more than twice in an entire game. If I'm playing a really tough opponnent and he's beating me all over the field, then sure I get frustrated, but I'm frustrated because I don't know what's coming. A great player can work with his entire playbook.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 12-01-2008 at 06:23 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:19 PM   #59
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

FWIW, I've yet to have a problem with anybody's style. Just have fun and keep in mind this is the college game. I've been amazed at some of the shit I've seen on any given Saturday in the real life NCAA. This new spread offense has blown the doors off of my notions of "realistic football". Christ look at the Big 12. Insane. Also, of course everybody has their own money plays, we are pretty limited by our chosen playbooks in that regard. There just aren't enough plays to really mix it up constantly. The way this game is built, it is pretty easy to pass the ball up and down the field, no matter the talent gap. As long as you don't throw picks, it's all good.

I guess my point is, just fuggin relax and enjoy the competition.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:23 PM   #60
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmooth View Post
FWIW, I've yet to have a problem with anybody's style. Just have fun and keep in mind this is the college game. I've been amazed at some of the shit I've seen on any given Saturday in the real life NCAA. This new spread offense has blown the doors off of my notions of "realistic football". Christ look at the Big 12. Insane. Also, of course everybody has their own money plays, we are pretty limited by our chosen playbooks in that regard. There just aren't enough plays to really mix it up constantly. The way this game is built, it is pretty easy to pass the ball up and down the field, no matter the talent gap. As long as you don't throw picks, it's all good.

I guess my point is, just fuggin relax and enjoy the competition.

I kind of agree with this.

To me, it's about going for it on 4th downs in situations that aren't realistic.

I don't run the QB sneak now at all because I know that's a pretty cheesy play after learning it about mid-season last year.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:43 PM   #61
bignej
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
The arguement that "most people use 5-10 plays all game" is rediculous, and any team in the Pro or College ranks would get blown off the field if they did that. Unfortunately, in video game football that's not the case, and you can run those same plays over and over and score 40+ on anybody you like.

I was talking about human players. For instance here are yours. You ran FB dive, HB dive right, a streak up the left sideline(your fave) a 10 yard curl on the left sideline ,a pass to the TE flat on the left and a running back flat on the right. Thats worse than 5 plays that's 4 patterns. Im not saying anyone here(myself included) are that much better but I expect it. I have my faves. You ran the same defense all game and I threw to the same few guys that you were leaving open. Some people shut my TE down so I look elsewhere. You dont adjust and are pissed that your "money plays" stopped working. You were simply upset that you lost.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:54 PM   #62
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignej View Post

Edit: My QB is Terrelle Pryor and I rolled out WAY LESS than the real thing. Just an FYI.

Actually, you played with Boeckman (sp?) the whole game.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:55 PM   #63
bignej
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Actually, you played with Boeckman (sp?) the whole game.

You are right. This year its Pryor.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:14 PM   #64
Galaxy
Coordinator

I'm going to take this Irish football team (and the kicker is first) out back and shoot them.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:34 PM   #65
Kodos
Resident Alien

Final results for Week 8.

Last edited by Kodos : 12-01-2008 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:31 AM   #66
Galaxy
Coordinator

To note, our kicker missed two extra points (as well as two early field goals) in the final two drivers. The first one would of put us within 6 in the 4th quarter. We got the ball back, and drove down the field with 18 seconds left to score. We are down one. What does the stupid kicker do? Shakes it wide right. (This kicker can't make a simple 25-30 yard field goal at all, either).

Our defense couldn't contain them the BYU offense. Our offense, while they played solid, just started to stall in the second half. Clausen had two fumbles (one for a TD return).

It's frustrating because we should have won the last three games. Our game against UL-Lafayette was a seconds-ending 90-some yard TD strike (they had zero TOs) that we lost on. UCLA was another late, late loss.

Last edited by Galaxy : 12-02-2008 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:13 AM   #67
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah, our kicker cost us our game against Wisconsin too. Effin' kickers!