Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > FOFC NCAA Football Online Dynasties
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-11-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

NOFL Week 3 has begun! Deadline is 4/17/09

I'm giving an extra day for Easter, of course if everyone finishes early we'll advance early. ColtCrazy's invite is sent. He inherits a 2-0 team.

Big human vs human matchup this week with Sun Tzu facing off against Kcchief. Everyone else except for RA is playing the CPU this week.

Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Excited about joining the league!!! Let's hope A&M doesn't go in the tank now!
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

You inherited one of the best human programs in the league. Welcome to the NOFL
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Well, I made that a helluva lot harder than it should have been.

#23 Miami at #13 Texas A&M

First of all, I'm really wondering is Sir Fozzie and I have similar styles because I love the team he put together. WELL DONE.

A&M jumps out to an early 21-0 lead. Miami throws 2 picks, the QB getting confused by switches in man and zone coverage. Their D has no answer for the running of Stephens combined with a calculated passing attack. Game looks in hand before I decide to mess it up.

Miami scores to make it 21-7, and I push the ball back across the 50. Facing 4th and 4, I go for it, figuring they've struggled to stop me the whole game. Well, they stop me, and march right down, shredding my pass D and cut the lead to 21-14, which is the score heading into the half.

I go back to what brought me here, a mix of runs and passes and after a bit I score to make it 28-14. Miami manages only 3 points on their next two possessions while I score again after Stephens breaks a 60 yard run to take it down to the 10. Miami answers and makes it to my 1. On 4th down, they go for it, and we hold them. Aggie ball, start of the 4th, it's 35-17. Then all hell breaks loose.

After two shorts runs under the shadow of my own goal post, I get stupid and pass on 3rd down. Picked off and returned for a TD. They go for 2 and fail, making it 35-23.

No problem. I go back to my bread and butter, but this time Stephens coughs up the ball at midfield. Miami goes down to score with 3 minutes left, making it 35-30.

They kickoff hoping to stop me. I get 2 first downs, and they are out of time outs. I could kneel, which would give them the ball back with about 15 seconds left. I decide to run just one more time. Of course, I should know how the CPU loves to mess with you on these situations. Stephens fumbles again. They get the ball and finally run out of time on my 40. A&M wins, 35-30.

Whew. Some definite bonehead plays from me, stupid things I know better about and wouldn't think of doing in my IU dynasty. Again, Sir Fozzie is a team building wizard. They will be a fun team to play, but I'll need to get a whole lot better before midseason when I have back-to-back human games.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:56 PM   #5
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Sounds like a fun competitive game
Old 04-11-2009, 09:38 PM   #6
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Heh. Well, my style was very conservative, since I could NEVER hit the deep ball. Instead, I used a lot of inside runs, short crossing routes, and come back routes. The few times I had to throw more then 10-15 yards, I would roll the QB to either side more often to the right and wait for the play to develop
Old 04-11-2009, 10:12 PM   #7
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Sun Tzu, I have a crazy end of the week so earlier may be better. Wednesday and Friday are definitely out. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday nights after 7 CT are doable but not guaranteed. I should be around Sunday but have to get my RFL game in too -- and hope the new u-verse connection holds up. Let me know if any time works for you.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:05 AM   #8
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Heh. Well, my style was very conservative, since I could NEVER hit the deep ball. Instead, I used a lot of inside runs, short crossing routes, and come back routes. The few times I had to throw more then 10-15 yards, I would roll the QB to either side more often to the right and wait for the play to develop

Then you and I do play a very similar style. I like to grind it out with the long drives using what you do, runs mixed with short passes. I don't hit the deep ball a lot, just enough to keep the safeties back some but usually avoid it unless I have the talent to do so. Good receiving backs and tight ends are key to me as I like to spread it around so the defense can't jump particular routes.

Anyway, A&M is perfectly suited for that, great job building it.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Sun Tzu, I have a crazy end of the week so earlier may be better. Wednesday and Friday are definitely out. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday nights after 7 CT are doable but not guaranteed. I should be around Sunday but have to get my RFL game in too -- and hope the new u-verse connection holds up. Let me know if any time works for you.

I'm spending easter here at the inlaws...out in the middle of nowhere. Infact this is being posted from my iPhone. Tuesday and Thursday sound like thebest nights for me. I would be good to go at 7 Cdt on Tuesday or 7:30 on Thursday. Let me know if either of those work better for you.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:31 PM   #10
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Welcome, ColtCrazy!
Old 04-12-2009, 02:38 PM   #11
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
I'm spending easter here at the inlaws...out in the middle of nowhere. Infact this is being posted from my iPhone. Tuesday and Thursday sound like thebest nights for me. I would be good to go at 7 Cdt on Tuesday or 7:30 on Thursday. Let me know if either of those work better for you.
Want to shoot for 7 CT on Tuesday and use Thursday as a backup?
Old 04-12-2009, 10:37 PM   #12
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Argh. I was up big on Alabama in the third quarter when my game froze. Grrrr... very frustrating. I really wanted to get my game in tonight as I'm pretty busy this week. I may try again here in a few minutes. Wow. It's really annoying to put 30+ minutes into a game that doesn't count.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:47 PM   #13
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Kentucky destroys Alabama 73-28 in the replay. It was 42-6 midway through the third quarter when it froze on me. It says that I restarted twice, but I only restarted once (when it froze). I don't understand why it says I did it twice...that's weird. Next up is a real game against a very good Stanford squad. If it's anything like my game against NC State, it will be another classic. I'm freaking out in advance

BTW, kudos to our commish for having what I believe is the biggest shutout in NOFL history...75-0 over Memphis. Take that Tigers!
Old 04-13-2009, 12:06 AM   #14
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, Memphis was just horrible. They were so bad that I double checked to make sure the sliders weren't messed up.

The freshman, Chad Anderson is proving that he is the real deal.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:32 AM   #15
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I'll play my game and recruit tonight. Nice job, everyone.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:20 AM   #16
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Chief,

7 on Tuesday works great for me. See ya then!
Old 04-13-2009, 12:05 PM   #17
Ironhead
College Prospect

Ugh. Boston College really fought hard against a vastly superior Florida State home at Doak Campbell. We were up 17-12 with about 3 minutes remaining. Florida State managed to score a touchdown and the 2 point conversion was good to go up 20-17. We got the ball back with about 1 minute left and managed to drive down into field goal position with 7 seconds left. We hit a 51 yard field goal with the "ice the kicker" meter and difficult angle to tied the game up with 3 seconds left. Florida State returned the ensuing kickoff for a touchdown to take a 27-20 victory. It was one of the few times I can recall letting out a "nooooooooooooo!" as their returner squeezed through a mass of humanity in the middle of the field.

Still, the fact that we almost beat Florida State on their field is a sign that the program is heading in the right direction.

Last edited by Ironhead : 04-13-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:27 PM   #18
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

...ouch
Old 04-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #19
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, that is a tough way to lose the game.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:25 PM   #20
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
Still, the fact that we almost beat Florida State on their field is a sign that the program is heading in the right direction.
Indeed it its. FSU hung 52 on me last week. I would have killed to hold them to 27. The game we played last season was incredible and down to the wire. Your team may be there already.

Just a brutal way to lose though. I feel for you.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #21
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I feel for your Ironhead. What a way to lose. I had two games like that last night online.

I have a winning record on Madden, so I figure I'll play some on NCAA to get used to human opponents outside some local friends. 3 games last night....3 loses.

The first one, I got killed. Wisconsin 23, Penn St. 52. Evridge threw 5 INTs, 2 my fault, one off a tip, and two I swear he was throwing wherever he wanted to.

The 2nd game...Florida 17, Ohio St. 20. I tied the game with 1 minute left. One long run with about 4 broken tackles got him in field goal range. I kept icing the kicker...he kept kneeling so he could kick it right. Won the game as time expired.

Last game, I take Va Tech, playing PSU again. This time I played a jerk who used a WR as a QB to run the option a lot. I finally had it stopped, my ball with about 1 minute left, score tied. I run an out pattern and throw it, it goes about 5 yards behind the receiver...INT. He scores. I turn it over in desperation and he ends up scoring again.

Sad night indeed...yet, somehow, I'll try again tonight!

Sounds like your team did well overall Ironhead. They'll come around.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:51 PM   #22
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
I kept icing the kicker...he kept kneeling so he could kick it right. Won the game as time expired.

If somebody here ever does that, I'm going to get midevil.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:12 PM   #23
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
If somebody here ever does that, I'm going to get midevil.

I'll say most of my experiences online have been great, but that did tick me off. I was so hoping he'd run out of time with his little ploy.

Actually, the best sportsman was the one that kicked my butt. He ran nearly the entire 4th quarter.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:13 PM   #24
kcchief19
Pro Starter

That's ingenious. So I'm assuming he called a kick play, you can call timeout, then he calls a kneel down. Then he calls a kick play, timeout kneel down, repeat. Wish I had had thought of that. Honestly, the most unrealistic thing in the game is the ice-the-kicker feature. Check the stats, the numbers show icing the kicker makes little if any difference, yet that feature probably decreases field goal success 50%. I'd rather have a guy run QB sneaks on every play than ice my kicker.

Three things I feel dirty for doing but know other people in the league do it:
1) Ice the kicker. I did it to Ironhead last year and I still feel dirty.
2) QB sneaks. My house rule is I don't run a sneak on you first but if you run one on me, everything is off the table. Any dirty or tricky play I have is fair game from then on.
3) The Wildcat -- sometimes it's a legitimate option QB who plays a lot snaps, sometimes it's a converted WR, HB or DB and sometimes it's a two-way guy. If Florida, Missouri, Arkansas and other big programs didn't run the WR/HB at QB play, I probably wouldn't either. A good defense can stop it. I never thought of it until I saw those two guys in the Kentucky backfield. But Kentucky's dual QBs didn't beat me in the title game last season, I beat myself with my own turnovers.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 04-13-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:27 PM   #25
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I'm not a big fan of it either (icing the kicker) seems to really be unfair. I've used it twice online...both after it was used on me prior to the half. I have noticed that it doesn't always happen though. Last night, before the half, 3 seconds left, it was used against me. Tonight, with 7 seconds left, the guy called two timeouts and it never did it and it was a close game.

I'll admit, I use QB sneak, but only on legitimate plays that it would really happen on (3rd or 4th and 1). Otherwise, it's a RB play. I've seen the QB cough up too many balls before when I play the QB and they sneak it.

I can't stand the wildcat. Avoid it at all costs.

But yeah, you can get rid of the ice the kicker. Just kneel. As long as you have the time and the downs in your favor, you'll be fine.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:15 PM   #26
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Wow. How does anyone beat Sun Tzu? I have located my ass because Stanford just handed it to me. I'm in disbelief.

Didn't help much that my team played like crap. My guys just seemed a half-step too slow all day. I'd try to pass or make a juke and it just wasn't there. We couldn't do anything offensively or defensively. Stanford just had their way with us.

I didn't think I could keep Stanford under 50 and I didn't -- they went for 51. I thought I could score quite a bit but I didn't -- 7 freakin' points, and even that TD was after the game was no longer in doubt.

Can't wait for Kentucky-Stanford. That's going to be a great game. Having played Kentucky last year and Stanford now, I'd have to give the edge to the Cardinal. I was never in this game.

Great job. Good luck this season. Thanks for ruining my goal of going to back-to-back title games.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:17 PM   #27
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Well...

The Chief and I played our game just now. Stanford was up against a tough #7 ranked Colorado team, on their turf nonetheless. Would Colorado's Heisman candidate HB run wild, or would Andrew Luck go crazy on the Buffalo DB's?

Well...it wasn't the first one. Luck finished the day 21/24, with 299 yards and 5 TD's. Both HB's ran for over 100 yards yet again, but Chief did knock one of them out for my game against Kentucky. We allowed a whopping total of 2 yards on the ground against Colorado, and picked off his QB 4 times. All in all...it just wasn't the Chiefs day. Total offensive yards were 523 to 264, and the final score was...

Stanford - 51
Colorado - 7

gg kcchief...definitely a tough loss. The holes were just there for me today.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:18 PM   #28
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Wow. How does anyone beat Sun Tzu? I have located my ass because Stanford just handed it to me. I'm in disbelief.

Didn't help much that my team played like crap. My guys just seemed a half-step too slow all day. I'd try to pass or make a juke and it just wasn't there. We couldn't do anything offensively or defensively. Stanford just had their way with us.

I didn't think I could keep Stanford under 50 and I didn't -- they went for 51. I thought I could score quite a bit but I didn't -- 7 freakin' points, and even that TD was after the game was no longer in doubt.

Can't wait for Kentucky-Stanford. That's going to be a great game. Having played Kentucky last year and Stanford now, I'd have to give the edge to the Cardinal. I was never in this game.

Great job. Good luck this season. Thanks for ruining my goal of going to back-to-back title games.

Thanks for the vote of confidence man. Even when it was kind of ugly, you still kept it classy and that says a lot about you as a player. We've all been in those situations man.

Best of luck the rest of the way!
Old 04-14-2009, 10:06 PM   #29
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Wasn't that classy ... I was trying to take Luck out at the knees I just couldn't get to him.

You played great. I have never been more frustrated with my team and lack of ability. You should have seen my in my living room -- the pillows and throw blankets were flying. Mrs. kcchief19 came to make sure everything was ok, to which I responded, "No! I'm getting my ass kicked!"
Old 04-15-2009, 08:07 PM   #30
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

(Gulp)

My winning streak should have been over in my game against BigDPW, so I'm just glad to be 3-0 right now. Regardless of the outcome of my next game against Stanford, I'll still have a decent shot of playing in the SEC title game. I don't know what to think about Mississippi State's new coach. Time will tell I guess. No humans in my half of the conference, so even if I lose one or possibly both of my games against humans, I feel pretty good about winning at least 4 of my other conference games...though Tennessee/Florida/Georgia are usually pretty scary. We'll see what happens.

Looking forward to/dreading my game against Sun Tzu
Old 04-16-2009, 06:12 AM   #31
Raiders Army
Coordinator

It should be interesting in the B12 this year. I'm thinking that the Conference Champion will not go undefeated.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #32
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
It should be interesting in the B12 this year. I'm thinking that the Conference Champion will not go undefeated.
Agreed. I'm feeling reasonably confident about my chances in the north although I have a brutal schedule.

Between the three of us I think we'll pin at least one loss on all the AI teams. You and I both have a non-conference loss. If CU, OSU or A&M win the round robin among us, 8-0 in conference is doable.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:12 PM   #33
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I was the last one to recruit. You give me 5 days and I'll take 5 days. You give me 2 days, I'll probably do it on day 2.

I think we're ready to advance.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:28 PM   #34
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
I was the last one to recruit. You give me 5 days and I'll take 5 days. You give me 2 days, I'll probably do it on day 2.

I think we're ready to advance.

Going to check now (and hopefully advance.)