Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-02-2010, 07:36 PM   #851
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Agreed that it's frustrating. Though, as others here have opined, I think he probably ran into a wall and got so frustrated, he needed to step away from it for awhile, which I can respect. His latest "Not a Blog" entries have been optimistic, it seems he's working his way through the Mereneese Knot. I really hope future books come more quickly, that he's solved most of the problems in book 5....

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:38 PM   #852
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Agreed that it's frustrating. Though, as others here have opined, I think he probably ran into a wall and got so frustrated, he needed to step away from it for awhile, which I can respect. His latest "Not a Blog" entries have been optimistic, it seems he's working his way through the Mereneese Knot. I really hope future books come more quickly, that he's solved most of the problems in book 5....

/tk

fool me once shame on you...fool me twice...shame on me.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:46 PM   #853
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
fool me once shame on you...fool me twice...shame on me.

Yeah yeah.
But I really don't feel like that can be applied to writing. A guy (or a girl) cheating on you, sure. Avatar? Hell yeah. Public policy? Probably. Writing? Harder to say...

/tk
Old 03-02-2010, 07:48 PM   #854
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah yeah.
But I really don't feel like that can be applied to writing. A guy (or a girl) cheating on you, sure. Avatar? Hell yeah. Public policy? Probably. Writing? Harder to say...

/tk

just seems that it's been an EXTREMELY long time. I mean we're not talking "delayed for six months so it's taken 1.5 years" or anything. not that there's a "reasonable" delay or whatever...but it just seems...a very very long time.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #855
bronconick
College Starter

I think a lot of it has to go back to when he decided to scrap the 5 year interlude originally planned after Storm. He probably has all sorts of things that have to be adjusted because of that. After he gets frustrated, he throws his hands up and goes and does something else for a while. Rinse, wash, and repeat since 2005.

Jordan seemed to have something similar happen, but he just churned out subpar books and ground through it, so I guess I should thank Martin for saving me the $40-$60 I would have spent on crappy hardcover books like I did with books 8 and 10 of the Wheel of Time.

The blog he keeps makes it worse, because something like 1 out of 10-15 posts has anything to do with his writing. I can't imagine there's a large sect of people checking his site to find out his views on NFL football or how he took 3 months off of any kind of writing to travel. Especially when apparently he can only write at home, on a special keyboard, at 68.2 degrees when the sun isn't shining in the window.

At this point I have my doubts that he's going to be able to put out a 5th book that satisfies (4 was a serious step down from the first 3, and didn't have 5 years of fan frustration behind it), and I have no expectation that the series will ever be finished because I don't think he has another 15-20 years to do so, and I don't think he has copious notes and a wife/editor like Jordan left to have a ghostwriter finish. Frankly, I'm glad that all the books were gifts.

Last edited by bronconick : 03-02-2010 at 07:56 PM.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:59 PM   #856
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
The blog he keeps makes it worse, because something like 1 out of 10-15 posts has anything to do with his writing. I can't imagine there's a large sect of people checking his site to find out his views on NFL football or how he took 3 months off of any kind of writing to travel. Especially when apparently he can only write at home, on a special keyboard, at 68.2 degrees when the sun isn't shining in the window.

His blog drives me nuts! Especially when it's football season and the Jets and/or Giants lose and all of a sudden his mood is "life is meaningless and full of pain" or he laments that he'll never be the same.

It's a freaking game.

/tk
Old 03-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #857
Galaril
Pro Starter

First let me say I loved his first four books but the last couple of years have been really frustrating. I am not saying his readers have a right to the series being completed but when I hire A PM on a project I expect the person to finish the project through to completion not just hand me a Gannt chart.

I normally don't stoop to cursing since I think it degrades a persons intellectually quota or the appearance of of it. But that being said I got one thing to Martin and anyone who rips us for expecting the guy to finish his series FUCK YOU!
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:07 AM   #858
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

While I would love to see the books come out faster, I appreciate the fact that he's not willing to just sling a bunch of sub-par crap out there because his fans want a new book. While the delays are fairly ridiculous, I really do think it makes the books better.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:37 AM   #859
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
While I would love to see the books come out faster, I appreciate the fact that he's not willing to just sling a bunch of sub-par crap out there because his fans want a new book. While the delays are fairly ridiculous, I really do think it makes the books better.

Yeah, this is pretty much where I am at as well.

As for his blog being about things other than these books, well... It's his blog. If he wants to write about football, other projects, toy knights, conventions, or whatever, all the power to him. Isn't that what blogs are all about anyway? Besides, everyone has to have a life outside of "work".
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:27 AM   #860
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

On the one hand I agree with you. On the other hand, it makes me think it's increasingly unlikely that we ever see a conclusion to the series.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:13 AM   #861
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Oh, I don't know. "A Feast for Crows" was the worst book of the series so far (that doesn't mean it was bad, mind). I think when an author has a single minded determination to get out a story, as Martin seemed to when he did "A Game of Thrones", "A Clash of Kings", and "A Storm of Swords", it was brilliant writing. When an author gets distracted and puts down a work and then comes back, it suffers more.

Obviously Martin isn't that into the series as it was in the late 90s. And the series will suffer for it.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:22 AM   #862
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I would agree that "A Feast for Crows" was the worst so far, but it was still one of the best books (of this genre) I've ever read. I feel like it gets short shrift simply because of the brilliance of the first three.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:30 AM   #863
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I agree. Maybe part of it is that I was distracted while reading AFFC or something, but I found it very...confusing & without narrative direction, moreso than any of the other 3. Maybe it was me, but maybe it was also GRRM. Maybe it was also that AFFC was essentially 50% of what the total book would have been, so there wasn't a lot of plot advancement in that 50%.

I should probably reread it...but I tell you...all that stuff with the Maestor's school and stuff...I skimmed the shit out of that. All the Arya stuff...I skimmed through real quick. It just didn't have much to grab me and hold my attention (at least on that initial first read - like i said it's prolly time for a reread).
Old 03-03-2010, 08:39 AM   #864
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
All the Arya stuff...

Funny, that and the Sam stuff was all I found interesting. I did not much care about what was happening with the Dornish storyline, nor the iron islands. I actually really dreaded getting to the iron islands chapters. It was far more a chore to read those than leisure.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:45 AM   #865
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

"Feast" is the weakest of the four, but the bar is high. I've read it four times now (well, read through it once, listened to it three times). There's a lot of great stuff in there. There are some issues as it does seem to meander quite a bit. The Brienne chapters, especially, suffer from this. You know where Sansa is, so you know she's not going to find her. We've already seen the "horrors of war" on the smallfolk through Arya's chapters in "Clash" and "Storm". So, it's unclear how it all fits in and whether a lot of it was necessary.

As I have mentioned before, there was a very tight story arch that ran through the first three books: The war of the five kings. Feast is essentially a transitional book in which Martin has to set up all the pieces for the next big arch, which, I assume, will be the whole R'hollor/Others/Dany/Jon aspect of it. I think that is why so much of it felt a bit off.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-03-2010, 08:46 AM   #866
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Funny, that and the Sam stuff was all I found interesting. I did not much care about what was happening with the Dornish storyline, nor the iron islands. I actually really dreaded getting to the iron islands chapters. It was far more a chore to read those than leisure.

I really liked the Dornish chapters, but I agree, the Iron Men are pretty insufferable. I don't like any of them. They are all annoying in their own special way.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:53 AM   #867
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I really liked the Dornish chapters, but I agree, the Iron Men are pretty insufferable. I don't like any of them. They are all annoying in their own special way.

Oh yeah, I skimmed the Iron Islands stuff too.

The Dornish stuff I liked IIRC. Like I said, I need to reread it all though.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #868
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

The "chore" comment was made mostly about the iron islands stuff. The Dorne stuff was more "I don't care about these people, I care about Jon, and Tyrion, and Dany" While the Dorne stuff wasn't a horrible read, I was not eagerly anticipating the book to find out what happened to them.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #869
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
The "chore" comment was made mostly about the iron islands stuff. The Dorne stuff was more "I don't care about these people, I care about Jon, and Tyrion, and Dany" While the Dorne stuff wasn't a horrible read, I was not eagerly anticipating the book to find out what happened to them.

I could certainly see that. I like the Dornish people and found the characters interesting. I would say the Dornish chapters were my favorites behind the Jamie and Cersei chapters. I liked Jamie's stuff because, well, he's Jamie and Cersei's chapters were fun because I loved all the political stuff going on in Kings Landing. That said, I always felt a little confused and muddled after reading her chapters because Martin does such a great job of getting into the heads of the various perspective characters that it was hard spending so much time in the head of a crazy person.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:43 AM   #870
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I must have been one of the few that really enjoyed the Iron Islands arc. Alas.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #871
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I must have been one of the few that really enjoyed the Iron Islands arc. Alas.

different strokes for different folks. some of it was alright i thought, but at certain points it just seemed like it was...in the way of stuff i wanted to read more
Old 03-06-2010, 08:39 AM   #872
3ric
College Starter

"And try not to laugh TOO hard at the part where I say I hope to finish DANCE by the end of the year. I really meant it, honest."

Not A Blog - A Blast from the Past
Old 06-13-2010, 08:52 PM   #873
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

It's not much, but it's something:

HBO
Old 06-13-2010, 08:55 PM   #874
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Cool...a website!!
Old 06-13-2010, 09:31 PM   #875
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

The 22-second teaser that was shown tonight before True Blood is on there.

/tk
Old 06-13-2010, 09:38 PM   #876
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The 22-second teaser that was shown tonight before True Blood is on there.

/tk

Need to watch True Blood on DVR after the Celts game!!
Old 07-13-2010, 09:26 AM   #877
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Everyime I think I can't get more excited about the TV series, they release some casting news that gets me more excited. It's not just the actors they are gettign to fill the specific rolls, but the rolls that are being cast.

Over the last few days, there have been several cool announcements:

1. The actor who played Councilman Thomas "Tommy" Carcetti from "The Wire" has been hired to play Petry Baelish aka Littlefinger. An inspired choice.

2. They have 7' tall, massive guy named Conan Stevens playing Gregor Clegane. He looks awesome.

3. They have hired actors to fill the roles of Barristan the Bold, Syrio Florel, Rast and Jory Cassel. I love the fact that characters liek Syrio, Rast (one of the bullies on the Wall) and Jory Cassel aren't being cut from the movie. Syrio is a very cool character who could have been cut. It's great that he's in there. His final scene is one of my favorites in all 4 books.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:33 AM   #878
Galaril
Pro Starter

I just can't get excited about s eries based on a set of books thst will never be completed. So, I see this series be great for 2-3 seasons like Rome was and then cut once HBO sees martin is not going to ever finish the series himself.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:26 AM   #879
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I just can't get excited about s eries based on a set of books thst will never be completed. So, I see this series be great for 2-3 seasons like Rome was and then cut once HBO sees martin is not going to ever finish the series himself.

Am I the only one that has moved on to "over it", with respect to Martin's hit or msis writing schedule?

I mean, I am with you, Galaril, on your general take here, but I am beyond the point where I feel anything needs to be said. Kinda like, "okay we get it, we're all annoyed at the guy, let's accept and move on" sorta mood.

I figure writing more about it is just wasted space really.

Like HB, I am more inclined to be really excited about the coming series and seeing how it's done on screen. And I still hold to a small hope that the beginning of the series (and the money future seasons would likely bring to Martin) will encourage him to get more serious and focused on finishing it.

I mean, heck, Martin had to have at least made some promises to HBO about when his series would finish, probably backed by contracts, because HBO wouldn't have bought in to a series without an end, I wouldn't think.

Good stuff, HB. I agree the characters being cast make for some encouraging implications.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 07-13-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:36 AM   #880
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Am I the only one that has moved on to "over it", with respect to Martin's hit or msis writing schedule?

Nope. I right there with you, Chief. I've long since moved on to "over it." I want him to finish the series as much as anyone. I dying for it. I've read each of these books at least 4 times. I've bought all the RPG books and the art book. I love this stuff.

It's unfathomable to me that it's been 5 years since the last book and there are certain characters, Dany, Tyrion, and Bran, for example, that have essentially been in complete stasis since I began my professional career as an attorney (almost 10 years now). It's crazy to think about.

Still, I've lost any anger or frustration over it. I've long let it ago and decided just to enjoy what I have.

How's that old prayer/saying go? "God, Give us the grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed, Courage to change the things which should be changed, And the wisdom to distinguish the one from the other." There's nothing I can do to get Martin to write faster or finish it before he dies, so I've accepted that and moved on.

Oh yeah, then there's this: Zombieland Rule 32: "Enjoy the little things."
Old 07-13-2010, 10:45 AM   #881
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The amusing part is that this book was, what, half written according to Martin roughly 5 years ago? But yeah, I'm well past "over it". If Martin ever does write a new part of the series, I'm going to have to get some cliff notes, because, frankly I've forgotten a lot of the details of the series (and I loved all the detail in the world Martin created).
Old 07-14-2010, 05:42 AM   #882
Peregrine
Pro Starter

The real irony is that Martin's heavy involvement with the HBO series, knee-deep in casting details, etc, is part of the reason the next book isn't out yet.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:44 AM   #883
Galaril
Pro Starter

Good points I have just about moved on past his sereis so unfortunately for me I might not veen read the next book knowing it will 2028-ish before he finishs the series.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:07 PM   #884
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
The amusing part is that this book was, what, half written according to Martin roughly 5 years ago?

Yes, that was the good news about the fourth book missing a number of main character POV's. The fifth book is half-written! He forgot to tell us the bad news though...

But yeah, over it but still eager for the book whatever decade it comes out. When I see this thread, I remember I haven't checked the blog in a while.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #885
sabotai
General Manager

With how slow I read books, 2028 sounds about right for when I'll catch up. I just start book 2 (listening to the audiobook).
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #886
bronconick
College Starter

Not A Blog - The Long Wait Is Over!!!

Even he's making light of it now.

Comment response that somehow hasn't been deleted yet

Quote:
I knew this couldn't be about DwD because the sun hadn't expanded past the orbit of Venus, burning off our atmosphere and destroying all life as we know it, which I am pretty sure is the projected publication date.

If one were to have a RSS feed updating him on Martin's blog, all they would have received is "The Long Wait is Over!".....and upon reaching his blog, possibly strangled themselves with an electrical cord.

Last edited by bronconick : 07-15-2010 at 07:10 PM.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:45 PM   #887
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Not A Blog - The Long Wait Is Over!!!

Even he's making light of it now.

Comment response that somehow hasn't been deleted yet

If one were to have a RSS feed updating him on Martin's blog, all they would have received is "The Long Wait is Over!".....and upon reaching his blog, possibly strangled themselves with an electrical cord.

lol - that's kind of douchey of him though. to think that anyone really cares about Wild Cards.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-15-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:43 PM   #888
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
lol - that's kind of douchey of him though. to think that anyone really cares about Wild Cards.

Yup.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:04 PM   #889
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

More Game of Thrones casting news continues to trickle out. They continue to cast all sorts of roles, including Osha, Shae, the Old Bear (The Lord Commander of The Night's Watch) and others.

Of note:

The role of Grand Maester Pycelle had to be re-cast because Roy Dotrice had health issues that prevented him from being able to shoot the role.

The Old Bear is going to be played by that dude who played Hamish's hard, kick-ass father from "Braveheart" (everyone likes that guy).

Tywin Lannister is going to be played by none over than... Sardo Numspa!! Yes! The villain for the Golden Child! He's going to be destroying Starks *snap* just like that.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:38 PM   #890
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

No kinda about it!
Old 09-13-2010, 11:57 AM   #891
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

There's a new teaser trailer for the HBO series up and one of those video diary things.

Can be found here:

http://winter-is-coming.net/
Old 09-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #892
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

nice

woot!!!

The site currently has posts highlighting the two new videos as well as the new promo pic. It also has a wonderful letter from David Benioff and D. B. Weiss to the fans of the show. I particularly liked this part.
The enthusiasm for the show was palpable before a single actor was cast or a frame shot. Trust us: the Powers That Be noticed. And so did we. When we spend two hours discussing the details of the House Bolton sigil or the hilt of a certain Valyrian steel dagger or the content of a few pages from ‘The Lineages and Histories of the Great Houses of the Seven Kingdoms’ that won’t be onscreen for more than a second – sometimes we wonder if anyone will notice. But someone will. You guys will. And it makes all the difference knowing there are people out there who care as much about this story as we do. We all want to get it right.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 09-13-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:25 PM   #893
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
There's a new teaser trailer for the HBO series up and one of those video diary things.

Can be found here:

http://winter-is-coming.net/

Thanks HB. Looks great and can't wait till this series starts.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:34 PM   #894
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I'm probably going to cry when it starts.

tears of happiness.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 09-13-2010 at 01:34 PM. Reason: to clarify
Old 09-13-2010, 01:34 PM   #895
Galaril
Pro Starter

Still can't get excited until I see fat ass Martin progressing with the books. I have wasted enough free time on shows like Jericho,Rome, Deadwood, Flashforward and Firefly with no plot line ties ups..........But that teaser does look good.

Last edited by Galaril : 09-13-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:36 PM   #896
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Still can't get excited until I see fat ass Martin progressing with the books. I have wasted enough free time on shows like Jericho,Rome, Deadwood, Flashforward and Firefly with no plot line ties ups..........But that teaser does look good.

That's true.

Rome was irritating in that sense. Very irritating.

Looking forward to the new show about the Borgia family too...
Old 09-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #897
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

While, I can't speak for Jericho or Flashforward, since I never watched them, I never once considered any time I spent watching "Rome", "Deadwood" or "Firefly" to be wasted. Was I disappointed that they were cancelled before their time and didn't get a chance to tell their full stories? Abso-fucking-lutely. The cancellation of "Firefly" killed a little of me inside, permanently.

But, all those shows were so great, even in their incomplete form, that I never once felt like I was "wasting" time while watching them. Hell, I've seen every episode of "Firefly" at least 3 times and most more than that. Never feel like I'm wasting time while I do it. I love them too much.

Same goes for Martin's books. I've read all 4 at least 4 times each. I love it. They fill me with great happiness. It will suck beyond belief and kill a part of me inside if he never finishes, but I still will cherish the time I spent in that world and with those characters. That is not time I consider "wasted".

Hopefully, the quality of the HBO series will make me feel the same.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:20 PM   #898
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
While, I can't speak for Jericho or Flashforward, since I never watched them, I never once considered any time I spent watching "Rome", "Deadwood" or "Firefly" to be wasted. Was I disappointed that they were cancelled before their time and didn't get a chance to tell their full stories? Abso-fucking-lutely. The cancellation of "Firefly" killed a little of me inside, permanently.

But, all those shows were so great, even in their incomplete form, that I never once felt like I was "wasting" time while watching them. Hell, I've seen every episode of "Firefly" at least 3 times and most more than that. Never feel like I'm wasting time while I do it. I love them too much.

Same goes for Martin's books. I've read all 4 at least 4 times each. I love it. They fill me with great happiness. It will suck beyond belief and kill a part of me inside if he never finishes, but I still will cherish the time I spent in that world and with those characters. That is not time I consider "wasted".

Good post and I never thought of it that way.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:37 PM   #899
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Good point. Shouldn't have said wasted time...should more just be like "dissapointment they were never fully realized."

I'm still bummed in a ways that I wasn't able to contribute more to the Westeros mod for MTWII. Joined the team and then was largely an epic slacker, but I just don't have the time to do more than like...offer ideas and such.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 09-13-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:41 PM   #900
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Good point. Shouldn't have said wasted time...should more just be like "dissapointment they were never fully realized."

Definitely disappointing. I wouldn't blame anyone not wanting to pick up this series or continue with it until it's finished. Especially folks who got burned in the past, like the "Wheel of Time" people.