Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-10-2005, 07:45 PM   #351
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
This is why I am really hoping that the Plaxico thing doesn't work out. That way the Vikes would be more apt to take a WR with that pick... I'd like to see as many WRs and RBs taken in the first ten spots as possible. The Lions have no need for either position at the Ten Spot.

I hope the Vikes get Plaxico over Braylon.

Braylon is the real deal, in my opinion, and I think Plaxico would be a huge downgrade over Braylon, who may not have the talent of Moss, but in my opinion isn't that far of a downgrade, and brings a lot of leadership to the table.

Plaxico is a big WR who has questionable habits, and isn't a great leaper. He doesn't scare me nearly as much as I think Braylon would.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:47 PM   #352
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
I keep reading in the local papers the Lions have no worries at the RT spot. I think they feel Rogers will be as good as McDougle (I beleive its Rogers, it's been a while since I read the report) but in any case, they are two 7th round picks. Rogers has been solid though in the limited time he does see the field, and playing next to Woody will be a plus. A first three picks of Cody, Baas, Shazor would look nice.

Shazor in the third is a stretch, but he could be a guy who could sit behind Brock for a year, learn the ropes, and become a force.

Yeah, they think they can protect either Rogers or Butler with a TE and Woody. Rogers is a 4th year guy and Bulter is a 2nd year guy.

I have to look into Cody. For whatever reason, he just doesn't do it for me. Then again, not sure if any of the DE's do. I wouldn't mind Shazor. I wonder if he's fast enough to play "free safety" in the NFL. Kennedy is more of a run-supporter/hard hitting safety. Having two of those guys back there could be tough.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:51 PM   #353
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah, they think they can protect either Rogers or Butler with a TE and Woody. Rogers is a 4th year guy and Bulter is a 2nd year guy.

I have to look into Cody. For whatever reason, he just doesn't do it for me. Then again, not sure if any of the DE's do. I wouldn't mind Shazor. I wonder if he's fast enough to play "free safety" in the NFL. Kennedy is more of a run-supporter/hard hitting safety. Having two of those guys back there could be tough.

Granted on the Shazor/Kennedy thing, but I think Shazor has the capability to be a good cover saftey. Coulda' used the extra year to develope it though. I do think our RT will be fine, and isn't worth a huge investment right now.

As far as Cody goes, I like his work ethic. I heard somewhere he had some personality issues, but I can't confirm that. Anyone else know?

He seems like he could be a solid 10-12 sack kind of guy, especially working off of Rogers and Hall because the kid doesn't quit.

Also, the OU connection with Lehman, I believe anyways, would be a nice plus.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:51 PM   #354
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The Lions have taken over this thread. Much like they will take over the NFC North. Mwhahahaha.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:00 PM   #355
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
The Lions have taken over this thread. Much like they will take over the NFC North. Mwhahahaha.

Indeed!

It will be interesting to see what the Lions do with this pick. First time in a while the Lions have had no huge, glaring need and are drafting low enough (it's all relative) to not be almost guaranteed to get a certain guy.

DE makes a lot of sense. CB (e.g., Rolle or Jones) doesn't make as much sense. They have too much $$ tied up in Bryant and Bly. The Pollard signing seems to remove Heath Miller from the equation and the Kennedy signing appears to have removed a trade-down for Thomas Davis scenario... Interesting times.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-10-2005, 08:02 PM   #356
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Indeed!

It will be interesting to see what the Lions do with this pick. First time in a while the Lions have had no huge, glaring need and are drafting low enough (it's all relative) to not be almost guaranteed to get a certain guy.

DE makes a lot of sense. CB (e.g., Rolle or Jones) doesn't make as much sense. They have too much $$ tied up in Bryant and Bly. The Pollard signing seems to remove Heath Miller from the equation and the Kennedy signing appears to have removed a trade-down for Thomas Davis scenario... Interesting times.

Indeed. The only other scenario I see is we trade down to mid 20's and pick up Baas?

Perhaps to a team who wants Rolle maybe?

I dunno what else we could possibly do at this point.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:05 PM   #357
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I keep reading in the local papers the Lions have no worries at the RT spot. I think they feel Rogers will be as good as McDougle (I beleive its Rogers, it's been a while since I read the report) but in any case, they are two 7th round picks. Rogers has been solid though in the limited time he does see the field, and playing next to Woody will be a plus. A first three picks of Cody, Baas, Shazor would look nice.

Shazor in the third is a stretch, but he could be a guy who could sit behind Brock for a year, learn the ropes, and become a force.

Shazor has been "selected" in the late 1st in a few drafts. I would be very concerned that we would have 2 big hitters and no one that can cover if we drafted Shazor(though it would be great to watch).

Rogers is definitely the one you are thinking about. He has gotten great marks so far. He is considered a poor mans Tra Thomas.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:07 PM   #358
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
The Pollard signing seems to remove Heath Miller from the equation.

THANKFULLY! The 10th pick on Miller seemed ridiculous to me.

Last edited by bosshogg23 : 03-10-2005 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:11 PM   #359
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshogg23
THANKFULLY! The 10th pick on Miller seemed ridiculous to me.

Agreed. I wasn't thrilled with the prospect of drafting him with the 10th pick either.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:39 PM   #360
Kozure
High School JV

I might have missed someone mentioning this but...

Ty Law visited the steelers today. For those who dont know, Law is from Pittsburgh. Could be a good pickup for the Burg if he is willing to give them a hometown discount.
Kozure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:50 PM   #361
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Perhaps to a team who wants Rolle maybe?

I thought we would be interested in Rolle originally. One of the Detroit papers was suggesting the Lions cut Brock Marion. If they do that I hope Holt gets a chance to play. He seems to be all around the ball when he is on the field.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:50 PM   #362
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozure

Ty Law visited the steelers today. For those who dont know, Law is from Pittsburgh. Could be a good pickup for the Burg if he is willing to give them a hometown discount.

I dont know, isnt he pretty well finished?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:52 PM   #363
stevew
Hall Of Famer

And i seriously doubt Law gives anyone a discount at this point.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:57 PM   #364
Kozure
High School JV

Law's 31...and the Steelers will only take him if he is healthy. The team isn't known for taking chances on players.
Kozure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:08 PM   #365
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozure

I would love to see Law sign with the Steelers.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:32 PM   #366
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
As far as Cody goes, I like his work ethic. I heard somewhere he had some personality issues, but I can't confirm that. Anyone else know?

No personality issues. He a bout with clinical depression a few years back. He left the team and got things straightened out. All indications are that it's completely under control, although all NFL teams are asking about, rightfully so. Once something like that happens once, you have to wonder about it.

For me, the way the guy plays easily makes up for any fears about that.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:12 PM   #367
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I love Rivera, but this is the main reason I didn't want GB to pay over $3 mil in SB for him:
Quote:
Marco Rivera, the ex-Packers Pro Bowl guard who last week received a $9 million signing bonus to sign a free agent contract with the Cowboys, underwent back surgery Thursday in Dallas after experiencing pain while running on a treadmill, sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Rivera, 32, is expected to be inactive for four-to-six weeks after surgery that repaired a L-5 disk problem, the sources said. He experienced significant pain in a leg when he was running on a treadmill Wednesday morning in Baltimore, where he was honored at the annual Ed Bloch Awards.

Rivera underwent the operation in Dallas and was said to be resting comfortably at Presbyterian Hospital. Rivera is expected to recover in time for training camp in late July, sources said.

A Cowboys spokesman had no comment about Rivera's status.
This guy is kept up by balsa wood between his back and knees. I'd be amazed if Dallas gets more than one good season out of him.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:28 PM   #368
MikeVic
Head Coach

Law with Pittsburgh at an affordable price would be awesome. Well, I have no idea how good he is right now afetr injuries... but I still like him.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:05 AM   #369
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

If Law didn't give NE a discount, then Pitt isn't getting one. He has said that staying in NE was his first choice.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 03-11-2005 at 12:05 AM.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:11 AM   #370
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez
If Law didn't give NE a discount, then Pitt isn't getting one. He has said that staying in NE was his first choice.

Is that really your argument?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:47 AM   #371
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Chiefs Sign Sammy knight.. wee
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 04:36 AM   #372
Tigercat
College Starter

Chiefs better find the best scheme with which to use Sammy. If you find the scheme that lets Sammy do his free roaming thing, then he will make lots of big plays. But the more specific responsibilities you put to his safety spot, the more his shortcommings will show.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 07:24 AM   #373
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Rumors have the Saints and Raiders trading Charles Woodson for Darren Howard.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:24 PM   #374
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The Jets sign Jay Fiedler.

The Eagles sign Mike McMahon to a 2 year deal.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:59 PM   #375
mckerney
Coordinator

Patriots | Dwight Agrees to One-Year Deal - from www.KFFL.com
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:40:30 -0800

USAToday.com reports the New England Patriots have agreed to a one-year deal with free agent WR Tim Dwight (Chargers). Financial terms were undisclosed.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:02 PM   #376
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney

USAToday.com reports the New England Patriots have agreed to a one-year deal with free agent WR Tim Dwight (Chargers). Financial terms were undisclosed.

That's the end of Troy Brown.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:06 PM   #377
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

That's interesting. The minute I read they were working him out, I thought he would fit the mold here. I like that signing, nothing flashy, I just like it...

FM
Old 03-11-2005, 01:24 PM   #378
Swaggs
Coordinator

Has Vinatieri resigned?

Any news on him, if not?
Old 03-11-2005, 01:26 PM   #379
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
Has Vinatieri resigned?

Any news on him, if not?

franchise tag
Old 03-11-2005, 01:29 PM   #380
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Has Vinatieri resigned?

Any news on him, if not?

They slapped the franchise tag on him, that's the last I've read about him...

FM
Old 03-11-2005, 01:32 PM   #381
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Has Vinatieri resigned?

Any news on him, if not?

franchised
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:39 PM   #382
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The Jay Fiedler deal is for 5 years.

Jay Glazer is reporting the San Diego Charger have told Doug Flutie that he will be released.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:51 PM   #383
mckerney
Coordinator

No deal yet, but KFAN reports the Vikings won't let Darren Sharper leave without a contract.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:53 PM   #384
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
No deal yet, but KFAN reports the Vikings won't let Darren Sharper leave without a contract.

that's one way to make him sign.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:04 PM   #385
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:

are they offering extra superbowl tickets as an incentive?
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 02:56 PM   #386
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC23
Wait, so who will be the backup QB for the Bears, now that Fiedler's gone? Brad Johnson? Jeff Garcia?

Chad Hutchinson.

Or wait ... maybe Doug Flutie returns ....
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 02:57 PM   #387
JasonC23
High School Varsity

Wait, so who will be the backup QB for the Bears, now that Fiedler's gone? Brad Johnson? Jeff Garcia?
Old 03-11-2005, 03:02 PM   #388
JasonC23
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
Chad Hutchinson.

Or wait ... maybe Doug Flutie returns ....

I think they should sign Jeff Garcia, personally.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:24 PM   #389
Arles
Grey Dog Software

They already have Jeff George
Old 03-11-2005, 03:44 PM   #390
JasonC23
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles
They already have Jeff George
\

Actually, the Bears released Jeff George.

I think Jerry Angelo said he got the idea that George isn't a winner from an online message board, or something...
Old 03-11-2005, 05:57 PM   #391
Tigercat
College Starter

New rumors in the Darren Howard situation(there is a new one every few days):

Dallas and another team(rumored to be seattle) are talking with Howards agent about contracts. A bidding competition which is rumored to have Dallas considering sending a 1st(!) rounder to the Saints for Howard.

Now at his best, Howard is worth a 1st rounder, but with his problems staying healthy, I think the Cowboys would be overpaying with a 1st, even if its in the 20s and they have another pick.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:42 PM   #392
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Falcons sign G Matt Lehr to a 3 year deal.

Titans might bring back Eddie George.
Old 03-12-2005, 05:41 AM   #393
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat
New rumors in the Darren Howard situation(there is a new one every few days):

Dallas and another team(rumored to be seattle) are talking with Howards agent about contracts. A bidding competition which is rumored to have Dallas considering sending a 1st(!) rounder to the Saints for Howard.

Now at his best, Howard is worth a 1st rounder, but with his problems staying healthy, I think the Cowboys would be overpaying with a 1st, even if its in the 20s and they have another pick.

I read today a source has Dallas trading a second round pick plus MLB Dat Nguyen for Howard. I think that's giving up a bit much for him, but it would be their best DL by far since their 90's Super Bowl days if it happens.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 01:18 PM   #394
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Vikings signs S Darren Sharper to a 4 year deal.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:22 PM   #395
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Pasquarelli is reporting that the Lions have agreed in principle a deal that would bring in Jeff Garcia.
Old 03-12-2005, 03:01 PM   #396
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Pasquarelli is reporting that the Lions have agreed in principle a deal that would bring in Jeff Garcia.

So the QB controversy in Detroit begins...

I think Garcia was the natural choice. He knows Mooch. He knows the system. I think the over/under on the number of games Harrington starts next year is 4.
Old 03-12-2005, 03:38 PM   #397
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

YAY!!! Now the Lions actually have someone who can get the receivers the damn ball. I hope Mooch has a very short leash on #3...
Old 03-12-2005, 03:46 PM   #398
Swaggs
Coordinator

Looks like there may be a bit of mutual interest between the Eagles and Burress. Possibly for just a one-year deal, presumably for Burress to get some numbers and try for another payday next season. He would probably fit in pretty well. Despite what some people say, I don't think Burress is a disruptive-type personality. He seems like he is just sort of a loner and a little lethargic.

Pure speculation on my part here, but I wonder if Burress may have a few positive drug tests to his name and if that may be making teams wary of signing him. If he is one positive test away from getting suspended or something, even if it was a few years ago, that could scare teams off.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:07 PM   #399
TLK
Pro Starter

The Garcia signing is nice. It also sounds like Rick DeMulling will sign early next week. The Lions have played a smart off-season.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 05:09 PM   #400
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLionKing
The Garcia signing is nice. It also sounds like Rick DeMulling will sign early next week. The Lions have played a smart off-season.

Where'd you hear the DeMulling bit?