Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-02-2023, 03:05 PM   #1
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

PING: Maple Leafs (and other hockey fans) - what makes an ideal Ice Hockey Arena?

I drove across country for Christmas this year (narrowly beating out the winter storm) and thus had a lot of time to think by myself since everyone else was on their devices (well, except the dog, but he mostly slept).

One thought that came skittering across my mind originated from an article I recently read that was bemoaning some modern sports stadiums and mentioned a "golden age" of baseball stadium building that may have kicked off with Camden Yards.

It occured to me that I feel I could adequately describe the things that would make good stadiums for baseball, soccer, football, and even basketball, but drew a complete blank on what makes a good ice hockey stadium. And I've even been to several!

So, any thoughts?

flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 05:31 PM   #2
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Bars close by in the surrounding neighborhood, good clean sightlines, plentiful concessions/bathrooms, and two compressors/no building sharing with a basketball team or concerts so the ice is good. I liked the tighter arenas that have a 2nd level overhanging the first for atmosphere when it's a good crowd, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a modern version of that that had good amenities, and maybe just a steep vertical bowl is the way to go.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 05:43 PM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I went to T-Mobile in Vegas for a UFC event last month and was really underwhelmed overall by the arena. Expected a lot more.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 08:52 AM   #4
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I almost want to separate it into two things: arena and arena experience. Arena is more the physical aspects that, once built, are pretty hard to control. Location, size, sight lines, bathrooms, etc. Experience is all the other stuff: lighting, sound, concession quality, pricing, etc.

I haven't been to a whole tonne of arenas but on the physical aspect I do like how intimate the Winnipeg Jets arena is at only 15k. The sight lines are all good, and the location is as good as it gets in Winnipeg (which sadly still isn't great - this would be a let down compared to most other rinks).

I also really liked Montreal's arena when I went there... holy crap almost 25 years ago. It felt smaller than it was due to the design and was easy to get to iirc.

MSG in New York was cool for lots of reasons but I wouldn't call it a good arena aside from the location. Sight lines seemed poor in a lot of places and it just looked and felt as out-dated as it is. That said I hope they never change it because it's 'good enough' and the history is cool.

Saddledome in Calgary was lame. Only worse one I've been to was the original Jets 1.0 arena which was a complete dump.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 09:21 AM   #5
bhlloy
Coordinator

Good post Fidatelo. Honda Center in Anaheim is brilliant for sight lines, not a bad seat in the place and generally has good amenities inside the arena. Unfortunately the atmosphere absolutely sucks unless you happen to be a fan of one of the visiting teams with a lot of transplants (Rangers, Wings, Hawks etc…) at which point you will feel right at home.

Other places I’ve watched hockey (NHL at least):

MSG - can feel the history, but incredibly dated. Can’t really believe it even passes safety checks in this day and age, god forbid there was ever a crush some of the passages are laughably tight. Also remember being disappointed by the acoustics and the atmosphere.

TD Garden - modern and soulless, but great location. Fans were predictably rowdy, probably the most young white people I’ve ever seen in one place before, it felt like being an extra in an Affleck/Damon movie. Definitely a fun crowd though.

Staples - good amenities and A+ for bars and food around the arena, but too big to do anything other than watch the game on the Jumbotron in the nosebleeds. Very LA fan vibe, which may or may not be your thing.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 09:47 AM   #6
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I've been to several Tampa Bay games at Amalie Arena. Good sightlines all over, and they have tesla coils hanging from the ceiling to make lightning when they score.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote