Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-05-2023, 11:35 AM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Soccer Thread 2023-24 Edition

So, having MLS and the Leagues Cup has been quite nice (especially with that new Argentinian signing), but the fact it's been locked away on Apple Pass is a bummer. But that and all the friendlies is no substitute for a season in full flow.

ESPN+ will be earning its keep.

Going to watch the Championship game that just finished, then the community shield and a couple of Belgian games on Sunday, maybe then over to Paramount+ for Scottish games (and maybe a random Brazillian or Argentinian game).

Then, next week, the EPL and La Liga.

The week after that, the Bundesliga and Serie A

It's official, Eurofooty is back.

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 11:52 AM   #2
miami_fan
Coordinator

Way too early first impressions.

10+ minutes of extra time is the norm.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 12:16 PM   #3
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

yeah, they mentioned a couple things so far on the EFL broadcast:

the English officials found they were only awarding something like "50%" of the time they should be adding on.

and new rule, anyone who goes off the pitch for treatment must stay off the field for at least 30 seconds.
Old 08-05-2023, 07:13 PM   #4
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Fivethirtyeight did an analysis a few years ago and found that "added time" was something like 75% less than what actual time should be added on.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 07:48 PM   #5
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I thought I would miss de gea. Perhaps not

https://twitter.com/ManUtd_lndo/status/1687970654463877120?t=otukewohsE2ZwtkSuOQaOw&s=19

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 08-05-2023 at 07:53 PM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 12:34 PM   #6
miami_fan
Coordinator

Anybody wanna guess which U.S. outlet is going to be showing the Saudi league this year? Is beIN Sports still a thing in the US?

Saudi Pro League confirms global broadcast deals in UK, Canada and more - The Athletic
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 08-10-2023, 05:20 AM   #7
miami_fan
Coordinator

It does not seem like a good strategy to sell the best player on your team three days before your first match and three weeks before the window closes.
Old 08-10-2023, 06:07 AM   #8
bhlloy
Coordinator

Counterpoint is you are barely a Europa Conference League side even with him in the squad, he’s aging and going to be out of contract and that’s a lot of money. I think it’s clearly the right decision. Timing could be better but equally, they’ve got a lot out of Bayern by waiting.

Last edited by bhlloy : 08-10-2023 at 06:08 AM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 10:26 AM   #9
miami_fan
Coordinator

Now reports are saying that Kane will not go to Bayern. If true, it will curious to see what conclusions are drawn from this and in the future, especially if he leaves next year on a free instead of resigning with Tottenham.
Old 08-10-2023, 10:59 AM   #10
bhlloy
Coordinator

Interesting. I think the only logical conclusion is he's signing a new contract. Although anything is possible, I think he loves the club too much to walk without any compensation.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 03:08 PM   #11
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Interesting. I think the only logical conclusion is he's signing a new contract. Although anything is possible, I think he loves the club too much to walk without any compensation.

Agreed. I just think it makes Bayern look like a small club IMO. Why make a bid for Kane without some assurance from Kane that he is coming to Munich.
Old 08-10-2023, 05:48 PM   #12
miami_fan
Coordinator

Old 08-11-2023, 02:05 PM   #13
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

HAALAND
Old 08-11-2023, 02:08 PM   #14
miami_fan
Coordinator

Already? Jeez.
Old 08-11-2023, 02:37 PM   #15
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

HAALAND
Old 08-12-2023, 07:04 AM   #16
miami_fan
Coordinator

I appreciated the delay of the Arsenal match so I can stayed locked in on the ENG-COL match. I want to believe it was intentional.
Old 08-12-2023, 07:45 AM   #17
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

That spinning back heel pass from Martinelli to set up a goal was a thing of beauty.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 05:07 PM   #18
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Counterpoint is you are barely a Europa Conference League side even with him in the squad, he’s aging and going to be out of contract and that’s a lot of money. I think it’s clearly the right decision. Timing could be better but equally, they’ve got a lot out of Bayern by waiting.

This is my take, especially since it's for 100M (or roundabouts, depending on your currency of choice).
Old 08-15-2023, 09:11 AM   #19
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Only took the first weekend.

Referee, VAR taken off Prem duty after Onana penalty error - ESPN
Old 08-15-2023, 11:28 AM   #20
miami_fan
Coordinator

Because we are all still wondering how Chelsea is doing it.

Why Chelsea believe their £900m transfer spending is within FFP rules - The Athletic

Also, the EPL is considering closing the FFP loophole that Chelsea has been exploiting following UEFA's lead from two months ago.
Old 08-16-2023, 05:54 PM   #21
miami_fan
Coordinator

USA coach Andonovski steps down after World Cup exit - sources - ESPN
Old 08-18-2023, 02:56 PM   #22
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Former City transfer target Lucas Paqueta looks to be in some big trouble. People connected to him in Brazil opened up new betting accounts and put large sums of money on him and another Brazilian (in La Liga) both getting booked back in March.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 08-18-2023 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-19-2023, 11:26 AM   #23
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Wrexham with a 5-5 draw. Yeesh. Crazy stuff.

And over at the expanded Anfield, Mac Allister was not Mac Lovin' it. In his debut, he got a lovely card. From the referee. It was Red.
Old 08-19-2023, 11:48 AM   #24
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Liverpool Penalty? The Liverpool haters are going on and on about how VAR is a shambles, the refs are bought, yadda yadda yadda..

MacAllister's Red? The Liverpool supporters are going on and on about how VAR is a shambles, the refs are bought, yadda yadda yadda

All fans after the game: The refs are shite, VAR is even more shite, and fuck everything.
Old 08-19-2023, 04:43 PM   #25
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Former City transfer target Lucas Paqueta looks to be in some big trouble. People connected to him in Brazil opened up new betting accounts and put large sums of money on him and another Brazilian (in La Liga) both getting booked back in March.

Old 08-20-2023, 06:05 AM   #26
miami_fan
Coordinator

England can't sit off Spain passively and allow them to just control the ball. Spain want to remain in possession and are talented to do so but England is not forcing them to work hard to keep possession. Once England do get possession, the counter attack has to be much quicker.

The downside for England? The back to back Ballon d'Or and the FIFA Best Player Alexia Putellas is still on the bench for Spain.
Old 08-20-2023, 06:23 AM   #27
miami_fan
Coordinator

Yeah, I think that is a penalty.
Old 08-20-2023, 06:32 AM   #28
miami_fan
Coordinator

Outstanding shithousery/gamemanship by England during the run up to that penalty.
Old 08-20-2023, 07:06 AM   #29
miami_fan
Coordinator

Absolutely strange celebration. Players only celebrating with other players. Coaches only celebrating with coaches. The hate is real for the players towards the coach.
Old 08-26-2023, 10:44 AM   #30
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I have this sneaky suspicion that Salah moves to KSA in the next several weeks. Their transfer window extends well into next month.
Old 08-26-2023, 11:06 AM   #31
Ksyrup

I haven't been paying much attention to the first couple weeks with everything going on with my dad but I just checked the scores as games are winding down and they are clearly serious about extending stoppage time. It looks like if in a previous year every game had a medivac injury.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-26-2023, 11:13 AM   #32
Ksyrup

Nevermind, the Score app appears to be having problems. Every damn game is +20-25 past FT and that's clearly wrong.
Old 08-28-2023, 02:06 PM   #33
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

So if I've got this right, the Spain FA is going to withdraw from UEFA, sue a player, and is having an 80+ year old woman go on a hunger strike because their President kissed a woman without permission on live TV and wouldn't say sorry.

This shit is crazy.

Last edited by Ghost Econ : 08-28-2023 at 02:06 PM.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 05:17 PM   #34
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
So if I've got this right, the Spain FA is going to withdraw from UEFA, sue a player, and is having an 80+ year old woman go on a hunger strike because their President kissed a woman without permission on live TV and wouldn't say sorry.

This shit is crazy.

Also:

1. Luis Rubiales the Spanish football federation President was suspended by FIFA because of the kiss.

2. The regional presidents of the Spanish football federation have demanded he resign.

3. The Spanish governement filing a complaint with Spain's Administrative Sports Court to get him removed.

4. Spainish prosecutors said they have opened a preliminary sex abuse investigation into the Rubiales incident.
Old 08-29-2023, 02:23 AM   #35
whomario
Pro Starter

5) All the players including a bunch of possible alternates are boycotting (first WNT Matches after the WC coming in 3 weeks)
6) all coaching staff except the head coach resigned after he didn't resign and Rubiales/FA made female staff sit up front for the assembly to project a favourable image when he went all woe is me instead of resigning as was expected.

It also really kicked off with the FA pretty much making up a statement by Hermoso.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 03:19 PM   #36
RainMaker
General Manager

Pretty remarkable interview with Luis' Uncle (his former chief of staff) who says that Luis was using FA money to host orgies with underage girls and a bunch of other corrupt shit.

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 03:42 PM   #37
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Well great, now his abuela is going to have to go on a hunger strike.
Old 08-31-2023, 09:21 AM   #38
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Also, his mom had gone to the hospital due to her hunger strike.
Old 08-31-2023, 01:30 PM   #39
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

So Champions League, Group F is insane and City/Barca can send their women's team and still make it out of their groups. United guaranteed to lose away to Copenhagen and beat Galatasaray at home thanks to a Fernandes pernalty.
Old 09-01-2023, 12:21 PM   #40
miami_fan
Coordinator

Happy Transfer Deadline Day!

Over €1 billion spent by Chelsea since May 2022! -€747 million net spend!

I am pretty sure I asked in another thread but what pejorative are we calling Chelsea FC for their spending under the Todd Boehly/Clearlake Capital ownership?

I really need MLS to step up their quality of play to match the top leagues in Europe. I want to see a Chelsea or Real Madrid submit a $150 million bid for the best player on a MLS Cup favorite's best player and see if they and their supporters would sacrifice the chance at an MLS title for the money.

Last edited by miami_fan : 09-01-2023 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-01-2023, 12:50 PM   #41
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Liverpool reject a $190M offer for Salah from Saudi Arabia. I'm actually surprised, to be honest. That's a lot of money for a 31-year old, even if Salah is going to be one of the biggest reasons they contend (if they contend) at all this year.
Old 09-01-2023, 01:23 PM   #42
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Mexican footballer shown straight red card for poking finger into bum of opponent - Daily Star
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 01:55 PM   #43
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Cheeky
Old 09-02-2023, 11:07 AM   #44
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Chelsea look like they might need to strengthen in January

Old 09-02-2023, 01:18 PM   #45
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Brentford are still your Premier League Lineal Champions, but that has to be in jeopardy in two weeks when they take on Newcastle
Old 09-02-2023, 02:57 PM   #46
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

At least Chelsea's American owners are trying. They may be insane and not know what they're doing, but the evidence indicates that at least they give a fuck.

Compare that to the Glazers and I know which I'd prefer.

Brighton's owners. Brighton's owners are the ones I'd prefer.

Can't wait to reach the year anniversary of them announcing they were putting the club up for sale....
Old 09-02-2023, 02:58 PM   #47
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

dola - Erling Haaland continues to be the soccer equivalent of a war crime.
Old 09-05-2023, 10:01 AM   #48
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Absolutely strange celebration. Players only celebrating with other players. Coaches only celebrating with coaches. The hate is real for the players towards the coach.

He gone! part 1

Vilda fired as Spain boss in Rubiales unsolicited kiss fallout - ESPN
Old 09-07-2023, 06:24 AM   #49
miami_fan
Coordinator

Federal judge throws out convictions of former Fox executive and marketing group in FIFA case | AP News
Old 09-07-2023, 01:41 PM   #50
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Thank God, I was beginning to worry. I guess they can just overwrite Antony in the database.

Football Manager to reinstate Mason Greenwood | Eurogamer.net