Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-06-2019, 08:53 PM   #351
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I haven't been keeping up with the Bulls. Why is Robin Lopez still there?
He made some comment about looking forward to being bought out (or maybe it was playing for the Warriors) before the trade deadline, the Bulls blamed him for "tanking his trade value", and they've just kept him around out of spite since then.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:12 PM   #352
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

Oh, good. A Boston area sports team won a game.

yay.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:58 PM   #353
miami_fan
Coordinator

Serge showing some moxie tonight.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:15 AM   #354
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Serge showing some moxie tonight.

I don't know what he says or does but man he gets punched alot.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:35 AM   #355
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
I don't know what he says or does but man he gets punched alot.

Pretends to be a fan at a Westbrook game?
Old 03-15-2019, 01:27 AM   #356
Groundhog
Coordinator

This is not easy for me to say, but I.... enjoy... watching the Sacramento Kings play basketball.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:56 AM   #357
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I've seen this nuggets team several times over the past several weeks. I really like them but I don't think they have the superstar luster to make the finals. Jokic a joy to watch.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:30 PM   #358
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Jimmer is back
Old 03-24-2019, 05:21 PM   #359
Groundhog
Coordinator

Trae Young has really turned it around. I still pick Luka if I've got the #1, but overall the top of this rookie class looks pretty darn good.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:33 PM   #360
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Trae Young has really turned it around. I still pick Luka if I've got the #1, but overall the top of this rookie class looks pretty darn good.

I think hes in the mold of one of them point guards that can look great on a bad team with limited options but on a playoff team with better options might come out not looking so great. <---- Young
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:47 AM   #361
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

That Nurlic injury. Ugh
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:40 AM   #362
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Top trending on Twitter tonight is #Lance

Thing is, he DID step on Green's foot.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:48 AM   #363
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Always nice that lottery teams can find something to play for.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:57 AM   #364
Groundhog
Coordinator

Speaking of rookies, is Ayton the best example of the league's transition into an unabashed instagram highlight factory rather than a basketball league? Having a quietly solid rookie season but you'd be forgiven for forgetting he exists. Meanwhile, there's Lance stepping on a dude's foot, and Booker almost scoring 60 in a blowout loss.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:09 AM   #365
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Speaking of rookies, is Ayton the best example of the league's transition into an unabashed instagram highlight factory rather than a basketball league?

Dunno if that's entirely the league's fault (though I'm sure they've encouraged it plenty of times).

I mean I wondered what in the world #Lance was, so I clicked the term in Trending. (I was thinking something Armstrong related, and figured it being Storm was a long shot). Most everything I saw was pretty organic.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:17 AM   #366
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Dunno if that's entirely the league's fault (though I'm sure they've encouraged it plenty of times).

I mean I wondered what in the world #Lance was, so I clicked the term in Trending. (I was thinking something Armstrong related, and figured it being Storm was a long shot). Most everything I saw was pretty organic.

Well, I think the league has encouraged a style of play that caters perfectly to the insta generation. And it's worked, I have non-basketball people tagging me on basketball clips every day. I just find myself enjoying the NBA less and less in terms of the actual game experience, versus the highlights.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:10 AM   #367
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Speaking of rookies, is Ayton the best example of the league's transition into an unabashed instagram highlight factory rather than a basketball league? Having a quietly solid rookie season but you'd be forgiven for forgetting he exists. Meanwhile, there's Lance stepping on a dude's foot, and Booker almost scoring 60 in a blowout loss.
I'm not sure why Booker's game was being celebrated instead of being looked at bemusedly, but yeah I think it was more noteworthy than the guy who put up 9&7 in the same 33 point loss. (And I could also make a joke about how his own team sometimes forget he exists )

I think bigs have always been less celebrated than others unless they have some ridiculous athletic feature (Shaq, Zion, Tacko Fall). Re Ayton's season I do think his offensive impact could be getting a little more talk but the questions were always on the defensive side of the ball (particularly if he's paired as a star with Booker), and whether you can really build a winning team in today's NBA centered around a center like him. (I'd say "offensive center", but Jokic with his elite vision and passing fits that mold.)

Some of the smarter NBA analysts were saying his defense was at least improved from that atrocious first month where he looked completely lost, but he clearly still has a loooong way to go on that end. And while Phoenix's problems run much deeper their 17-58 record and league worst point differential doesn't give any indication his on court value remotely approaches his traditional counting stats/PER. Ayton is much more athletic, but Jah Okafor put up 18/7 on a terrible team his rookie year too...
Old 03-27-2019, 08:29 PM   #368
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just scrolling my Twitter feed & this popped out at me as being kinda timely lol.
(was an RT from a kid my son graduated with or I'd never have seen it)

Bleacher Report NBA on Twitter: ""NOBODY HAD THEy PHOnES OUT"

J Cole was heated no one was recording his 45 PTS and game-winner 😂

(via @KingOfQueenz)… https://t.co/OxAwaLlWIe"
Old 03-30-2019, 01:05 AM   #369
BishopMVP
Coordinator

The media will talk about the late calls in Warriors loss to the Timberwolves, but can we talk about the Andrew Wiggins shot at the end of regulation? Tie game, shot clock off, and he dribbles into a contested 20 footer with 8 seconds on the clock. The lack of situational awareness is mind boggling.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:20 AM   #370
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I find the West playoff race to be pretty fascinating. Eight games separating the 8 seeds. No year in the last decade at least in either conference has had lower than a 12-game gap and it's usually about 15. There could be some crazy-competitive first-round series, and I have to think a real chance at whoever comes out of there being beat up. If so, Milwaukee's real young but …
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:36 PM   #371
Groundhog
Coordinator

20-20-21 game for Westbrook today. Pretty ridiculous.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:14 PM   #372
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Gordon Hayward... is good again? Playing well & very aggressively in the 8 games since his concussion scare. Hitting shots will always help anyone's confidence and the shooting percentage will regress, but he's been driving hard and creating contact near the rim instead of avoiding it.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:45 PM   #373
bhlloy
Coordinator

Congrats to the Magic on their division title and being a game above .500 I guess?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:11 PM   #374
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

If the jazz win tonight I go 4-1 for my season win total bets. Pretty pleased with that.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:48 AM   #375
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Congrats to the Magic on their division title and being a game above .500 I guess?

The long post-Dwight Howard era rebuild finally over!!!!!! Yay!
Old 04-08-2019, 08:08 AM   #376
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Paul Pierce is saying he had a better career than D Wade, and people are jumping on that like its crazy.

I don't think it's crazy, but I can see why people are acting that way.

PP had the least . . . memorable great career of his generation. He was very very good for a long time. But he didn't have that one season where he peaked and made people think of Jordan. He didn't have a "we'll never see that again" style like Iverson. He didn't have a stretch where he tore down the rim like Vince Carter. He wasn't a physical freak like Shaq. He didn't have an outsized off-the-court personality like Rodman. And, unlike Wade, he wasn't teammates with the media magnets Shaq and LeBron.

He looked like a basketball player should look. He played like a basketball player should play. He didn't date Kardashians in the offseason. He just did his job at an extremely high level for a very long time. And guys like that end up underrated.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:18 AM   #377
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
If the jazz win tonight I go 4-1 for my season win total bets. Pretty pleased with that.

They had one job to do
Old 04-08-2019, 09:26 AM   #378
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Paul Pierce is saying he had a better career than D Wade, and people are jumping on that like its crazy.

PP had the least . . . memorable great career of his generation. He was very very good for a long time. But he didn't have that one season where he peaked and made people think of Jordan. He didn't have a "we'll never see that again" style like Iverson. He didn't have a stretch where he tore down the rim like Vince Carter. He wasn't a physical freak like Shaq. He didn't have an outsized off-the-court personality like Rodman. And, unlike Wade, he wasn't teammates with the media magnets Shaq and LeBron.

He looked like a basketball player should look. He played like a basketball player should play. He didn't date Kardashians in the offseason. He just did his job at an extremely high level for a very long time. And guys like that end up underrated.

This is one thing I don't understand. They both had good careers. Why do we have to say one was better than the other?

You are right about Pierce though. I just looked at his stats. I never would have guessed he would be 18th on the all time points list. I would have guessed he was outside the top 50.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:06 AM   #379
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

His most memorable moment was his getting stabbed 17 times.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:22 AM   #380
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
His most memorable moment was his getting stabbed 17 times.
Idk, the wheelchair is also up there.

Looking objectively yeah Wade was a little better, but they're in the same category, and I'm not sure why anyone is surprised ex-athletes are still cocky. Ask Larry Bird if he was better than Michael Jordan, and he'll probably be diplomatic, but I'm guessing he thinks he was before the back injury. I also thought his main point there (give him Shaq and LeBron in their prime and he'd have more championships/recognition) was 100% accurate. Even if Garnett stayed healthy & the Celtics won a 2nd that'd up his legacy.

I'm also pretty out on the Dwyane Wade retirement tour. I hate retirement tours in general, but Wade was a dirty player, had the STD lawsuit, was a dick to Dirk when he was hurt, was a horrible teammate to younger players, etc, so idk why we're supposed to all pretend he was a beloved superstar (like for example Dirk is.)
Old 04-09-2019, 12:46 PM   #381
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I saw wade and his second wife and his 3rd or 4th kid (a baby) trying to present themselves as "young and in love" the other day. Like we all don't know wade dogged his college sweetheart for another more famous woman...
Old 04-09-2019, 08:17 PM   #382
miami_fan
Coordinator

Magic is stepping down.

Magic stepping down as Lakers' president
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:09 PM   #383
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

That went well, don't you think?
Old 04-09-2019, 09:31 PM   #384
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think the dumbest part about it is the stated reasons. You don't want the job anymore because tampering rules are too restrictive on your personality or whatever and you don't what the responsibility of firing people? What did he think the job of being the president of an NBA team involved?

Either way it'll be interesting to see who takes over next. Kobe?

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 04-09-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:44 PM   #385
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
What did he think the job of being the president of an NBA team involved?

1) Sign LeBron
2)
Old 04-10-2019, 04:09 AM   #386
whomario
Pro Starter

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:25 AM   #387
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post

I'm gonna miss him playing.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:41 AM   #388
Kodos
Resident Alien

Old 04-10-2019, 07:46 AM   #389
Kodos
Resident Alien

The true story behind Michael Jordan's brief-but-promising baseball career

Interesting story on Jordan's flirtation with baseball.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:53 AM   #390
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
1) Sign LeBron
2)

albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:41 AM   #391
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
The true story behind Michael Jordan's brief-but-promising baseball career

Interesting story on Jordan's flirtation with baseball.

It's interesting to see an article that paints his baseball career as success, or at least a non-failure. However, if he ever made it to the majors it was going to be because his name was Michael Jordan.

I do think his ability to step in to AA and not be completely awful was a hell of an accomplishment given the circumstances.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:46 AM   #392
Kodos
Resident Alien

Sounds like he had an incredible work ethic and desire to get better. I always rooted against the Bulls, but I having nothing but respect for his competitive fire.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:52 AM   #393
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
What did he think the job of being the president of an NBA team involved?

This is a guy who quit his NBA head coaching gig after 16 games.

Maybe everything in life to Magic is a mysterious adventure filled with unexpected surprises.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:16 AM   #394
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
It's interesting to see an article that paints his baseball career as success, or at least a non-failure. However, if he ever made it to the majors it was going to be because his name was Michael Jordan.

I do think his ability to step in to AA and not be completely awful was a hell of an accomplishment given the circumstances.

On the other hand, people act like Tim Tebow in baseball is joke even though he has been much better than Jordan in the minors (Tebow batted .273/.336/.399 in AA last year).
Old 04-10-2019, 01:51 PM   #395
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Magic might just not be interested in actual work. He's def earned a life of leisure.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:58 PM   #396
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
On the other hand, people act like Tim Tebow in baseball is joke even though he has been much better than Jordan in the minors (Tebow batted .273/.336/.399 in AA last year).

He also had 557 plate appearances in AFL and A leagues before going to AA. What numbers would Jordan have put up if he had come back for a second season?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:10 PM   #397
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

He may have even hit Tebow numbers! Why didn't Jordan start in A leagues? Because his name was Michael Jordan and it was always just a lark.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 04-10-2019 at 04:13 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:08 PM   #398
JPhillips
General Manager

I don't think MJ is a good comp if you're looking for serious baseball prospects.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:37 AM   #399
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I wonder if lebron is going to force a trade after the Lakers come up empty this summer.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:45 AM   #400
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I wonder if lebron is going to force a trade after the Lakers come up empty this summer.

Who would want him at this point?