Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-12-2019, 12:06 PM   #301
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
White people are triggers now. Or should I say, non-liberal white males.

Wife beaters dont matter when non liberal white males do something.

A private company banning someone from their building after flashing a white power sign is pretty much just like the Holocaust.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:42 PM   #302
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
A private company banning someone from their building after flashing a white power sign is pretty much just like the Holocaust.

Go find your safe space

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:45 PM   #303
JPhillips
General Manager

lol

perfect
Old 05-12-2019, 02:49 PM   #304
tarcone
Coordinator

Old 05-12-2019, 03:18 PM   #305
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Go find your safe space

seems like the only people complaining about the decision are conservatives like you, so.. I suggest you follow your own advice.

Or int he nomenclature of the day "Triggered much?"
Old 05-12-2019, 03:38 PM   #306
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I could give two shits that they banned the guy but.like Stevew already has said the story is so clearly a distraction away from the fact that they just brought a wife beater up. One who they claimed in the offseason was going to spend some serious time in the minors to grow up.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:00 PM   #307
tarcone
Coordinator

Shoot, gotta have players to win to draw the fans to make money. Look at the NFL.

I could care less also. But its just a fun exercise sometimes.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:19 PM   #308
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Is there anything George Springer can’t do?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:20 PM   #309
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Is there anything George Springer can’t do?

Pitch to himself?
Old 05-13-2019, 08:04 PM   #310
spleen1015
Coordinator

Have a baby?
Old 05-13-2019, 09:45 PM   #311
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Learn how to love again after all is lost
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:02 PM   #312
tarcone
Coordinator

A Hysterectomy?

Old 05-17-2019, 09:50 PM   #313
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I have an idea that might help major league baseball.

If you aren't going to contract several teams then maybe just shorten all games to 6-7 innings. You'd get the time savings you so badly crave & fans would be spared the parade of relievers that cause more distress than relief.

#JustMailMeTheRoyaltyCheck
Old 05-19-2019, 11:52 AM   #314
Atocep
Coordinator

We're about 2 months into the season and Van Wagenen should be fired for the Cano trade.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:22 PM   #315
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
We're about 2 months into the season and Van Wagenen should be fired for the Cano trade.

Calloway has to be fired, right? You can’t get swept by Miami and shut out back to back games.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:14 PM   #316
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Calloway has to be fired, right? You can’t get swept by Miami and shut out back to back games.

Van Wagenen will fire him to distract from the fact that he made some awful moves this offseason.

Diaz is great, but this team is evidence of how useless a dominant closer is on a mediocre team. Cano, even if he rebounds, is in no way worth Kelenic and Dunn when you had McNeil. He also had to be the only person on the planet that thought Vargas could function as the 5 starter.

The only positive move he made this offseason was adding JD Davis. Keeping Dom Smith doesn't make sense for a NL club. His ceiling is probably average-ish 1st baseman but he's not playing with Alonso on the roster and a backup 1st baseman is overkill in the NL.

Rosario has also regressed horribly. He somehow went from being a glove-first shortstop who's ultimate ceiling would be determined by his bat to possibly the worst defensive shortstop in baseball.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 03:03 PM   #317
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The Mets have become the Redskins or something.

Cespedes has a broken ankle after an accident on his farm (at least some reports are saying BOTH ankles)
Old 05-20-2019, 03:04 PM   #318
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I honestly can't handle being a Mets and NY Giants fan.

Thank god my Huskies are competent.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:54 PM   #319
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The Mets have become the Redskins or something.

Cespedes has a broken ankle after an accident on his farm (at least some reports are saying BOTH ankles)

Heard an animal was involved, like he was riding and got thrown. If so, may get the Mets out of his contract.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:19 PM   #320
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Heard an animal was involved, like he was riding and got thrown. If so, may get the Mets out of his contract.

But but but he specifically told the team he was NOT riding a horse when it happened.

(and Ron Gant didn't even own a motorbike)
Old 05-23-2019, 06:18 AM   #321
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Carter Stewart going to Japan is a fascinating move
Old 05-23-2019, 10:29 AM   #322
MrBug708
Head Coach

Boras finally got someone to do it
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:04 PM   #323
JPhillips
General Manager

So far this season Gary Sanchez and Gleyber Torres have combined for 19 HRs...

against the Orioles.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:10 PM   #324
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just discovered MLB.TV has a video option called Park where you can watch the game with no commentary. Pretty cool stuff.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:18 PM   #325
JPhillips
General Manager

Joe Pos had a recent column that gets at why baseball isn't as entertaining for me.

https://joeposnanski.com/shakedown-1979/

It includes this,

Quote:
OK, 1979 is forty years ago. And those forty years are the point. When you look across that stretch of time … well, I just noticed this. Take a look at this list and tell me if your mind is blown:

Lowest batting average: 2019 (.246)
Highest home run rate: 2019 (1.33 homers per game)
Most strikeouts per game: 2019 (8.79 Ks per game)
Fewest sacrifice hits: 2019 (.16 per game)
Fewest intentional walks: 2019 (.16 per game)
Fewest hits: 2019 (8.34 per game)
Fewest triples: 2019 (.15 per game)
Fewest stolen bases: 2019 (.46 per game)
Fewest double plays: 2019 (.70 per game)
Most hit by pitch: 2019 (.41 per game)
Fewest complete games: 2019 (about 1 percent)
Length of game: 2017 (this year is third)
Old 05-30-2019, 03:36 PM   #326
tarcone
Coordinator

It is becoming slo-pitch softball.

I love me a 2-1 or 1-0 pitchers duel with good defense. That is a lot more entertaining to me.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:23 AM   #327
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Decent article on the swing path revolution How Mookie Betts built a better swing: an excerpt from The MVP Machine.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:37 AM   #328
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

Great-long article. Thanks

In other news, the Dodgers have lost 2 straight for the first time since April and they lost for the first time in something like the last 21 Kershaw starts.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:17 PM   #329
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Great-long article. Thanks

In other news, the Dodgers have lost 2 straight for the first time since April and they lost for the first time in something like the last 21 Kershaw starts.
Yeah, I should've mentioned Dodgers and Red Sox fans especially would like the article Other than the swing path stuff, which makes intuitive sense and is borne out by all the new data I thought the stuff about the bat handle was also interesting. Guess I must have missed it if it was a story around Betts' MVP play, but again that's something that makes intuitive sense to me, and makes me wonder if there are other simple tweaks that have been sitting in front of us for the past 100 years. (I also just wish Mookie wasn't super friendly and didn't introduce it to George Springer and thus the Astros!)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 06-08-2019 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:18 PM   #330
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Tremendously sad that we are staring down the end of the Bumgarner era in San Francisco.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:05 PM   #331
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Tremendously sad that we are staring down the end of the Bumgarner era in San Francisco.

And after his quote following the shouting incident with Max Muncy, I'm completley on board with the Braves getting him even as a rental.

Quote:
"They want to let everybody be themselves. Let me be myself,'' Bumgarner said. "I just as soon fight than walk or whatever. Just do your thing, I'll do mine.''

More guys like that, fewer of the new breed of prima donnas, my interest in baseball might actually go up instead of down for a change.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:13 PM   #332
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I VERY rarely watch any sort of "voyeuristic" video online but after some comments wanted to be able to judge for myself what happened in the David Ortiz shooting.

Assuming the surveillance video I saw is the actual incident "robbery attempt" my ass.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:18 PM   #333
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Bumgarner's fiery personality is pretty great, and his interviews post-game after the fireworks are usually great and sometimes hilarious.

I remember after the notably vicious exchange with Puig (while he was still a Dodger) and Bumgarner practically intercepted him between 3B and home plate during a home run trot, Bumgarner was asked what they said to one another in a post-game interview. "I was congratulating him. It was a really good hit. I think he said thank you...I don't speak Spanish very well."
Old 06-09-2019, 11:55 PM   #334
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I VERY rarely watch any sort of "voyeuristic" video online but after some comments wanted to be able to judge for myself what happened in the David Ortiz shooting.

Assuming the surveillance video I saw is the actual incident "robbery attempt" my ass.
Yeah, that ain't no robbery. Idk if it's a temp murder or a crazy person, but hopefully the reports the bullet went through & Ortiz is "out of danger" are correct.

There's also allegedly videos of the shooter being detained by citizens, but I don't speak Spanish well enough to know if those are real or a meme, and unlike MadBum that's not a euphemism here! I fully believe Ortiz is that well liked by people, idk if DR police are as bad and non-existent as the videos make it appear. Just hope Papi is okay.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:25 AM   #335
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Yeah, that ain't no robbery. Idk if it's a temp murder or a crazy person, but hopefully the reports the bullet went through & Ortiz is "out of danger" are correct.

There's also allegedly videos of the shooter being detained by citizens, but I don't speak Spanish well enough to know if those are real or a meme, and unlike MadBum that's not a euphemism here! I fully believe Ortiz is that well liked by people, idk if DR police are as bad and non-existent as the videos make it appear. Just hope Papi is okay.

Ortiz's father says no organs were hit and a full recovery is expected. Though Ortiz's father is also the one who said it was a burglary attempt.

Assuming he was specifically targeted it could have been the end result of some failed threat/extortion/attempted shakedown kind of thing, I guess.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:21 AM   #336
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Ortiz's father says no organs were hit and a full recovery is expected. Though Ortiz's father is also the one who said it was a burglary attempt.

Apparently the organ thing was not accurate either, Ortiz's medical assistant (that guy probably had a fairly easy job until yesterday), said that they had to remove part of his intestines, colon, and his gallbladder.

They still expect him to make a full recovery, but he got very lucky, and still may never be the same.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:19 PM   #337
RainMaker
General Manager

Rumors are that it was a drug dealer who hired the shooter because he thought Ortiz was having an affair with his wife. Makes more sense than a robbery.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:34 PM   #338
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hitting for the Cycle gets way too much hype. It's a really good outcome, but so is some other random 4 hits for 10 total bases game
Old 06-17-2019, 02:34 AM   #339
SackAttack
Head Coach

So, uh.

Last June, Dodgers hosted Chicago and Max Muncy went yard off of Kyle Hendricks. The ball bounced back onto the field and hit Almora in the head.

Max Muncy's home run bounces back to hit Albert Almora Jr. in the head - YouTube

Sunday night, the Dodgers hosted Chicago and Bellinger went yard off of Quintana. The ball bounced back and, once again, hit Almora in the head. The best shot of it I've seen is in the interview video where he talks about his dad; the official highlight cuts away juuuust before the bonk. Link below.

Bellinger trying to make swing his own again - ESPN Video

I'm just waiting for the Cubs to go to LA next season. I wanna see, like, Verdugo or Turner come up and watch Almora just hop the CF wall like "not stickin' around for this, see ya."
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:08 AM   #340
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Hitting for the Cycle gets way too much hype. It's a really good outcome, but so is some other random 4 hits for 10 total bases game

Pretty sure it's more rare than a no-hitter, in terms of actual frequency. Though I would imagine if the trend with starting pitching continues that will change fairly soon.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:28 PM   #341
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Pretty sure it's more rare than a no-hitter, in terms of actual frequency. Though I would imagine if the trend with starting pitching continues that will change fairly soon.

If you look at all of baseball history, you've got ~324 cycles and 300 no-hitters. If you look at modern baseball history, the number of no-hitters drops to 257.

Where you might have a rarity argument isn't going to be in terms of frequency, but in terms of opportunities.

On a given day, there are 30 opportunities for a no-hitter to be thrown, but there are ~ 270 opportunities for a cycle. So while the overall numbers are similar'ish, the rate of respective occurrence is gonna skew more heavily towards the event that happens about as often but in far fewer opportunities.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:01 PM   #342
PilotMan
Head Coach

You know, ARod talks a lot as a commentator, some of his stuff is pretty obvious, but some of his insights are really quite good. Much better than I would think.

Like Steam?

Old 06-19-2019, 11:32 AM   #343
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Video: Lenny Dykstra went dumpster-diving for lost dentures
Old 06-20-2019, 02:14 PM   #344
miami_fan
Coordinator

Rays to explore splitting games with Montreal

Your move, state and local governments. Are you paying for the stadium or not?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:18 PM   #345
tarcone
Coordinator

Seems like Florida just wont support MLB teams. Its a destination for spring training. But there is so many other options for your entertainment dollar, that MLB just cant win out.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:50 PM   #346
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Rays to explore splitting games with Montreal

Your move, state and local governments. Are you paying for the stadium or not?

Reminds me of a certain Blackjack strategy.

"Can't Get One New Stadium? Bet on Two next time!"
Old 06-20-2019, 03:11 PM   #347
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Reminds me of a certain Blackjack strategy.

"Can't Get One New Stadium? Bet on Two next time!"

Why go for two when you can divvy up and have 4!? I mean, bring baseball to the mid market masses everywhere with your ragtag band of swinging sticks.

Like Steam?

Old 06-20-2019, 03:32 PM   #348
Logan
Head Coach

Mets fired their pitching coach and bullpen coach. The new pitching coach is 82 years old, has been retired for 4 years, was a teammate of Sandy Koufax, and gave up a HR to Harmon Killebrew in his MLB debut.

"Mound visits are gonna take a while" is currently my #1 Twitter joke, followed closely by "Familia is literally gonna give this guy a heart attack."
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:52 PM   #349
BishopMVP
Coordinator

You forgot the "new" bullpen coach was also the bullpen coach from 2012-2018, demoted to Single A pitching coach the first few months, and now back as Mets bullpen coach.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:37 AM   #350
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think the Tampa/Montreal split makes a ton of sense. Play all 9 Toronto games in Canada. Play 1 series vs the Orioles/Yankees/Red Sox in Montreal and 2 in Tampa. And then alternate the rest of the home games.