Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-12-2008, 07:52 AM   #151
Poli
FOFC Survivor

We practiced through a steady drizzle. The hot, muggy, evening didn't lend itself to a great practice.

On top of that, Ray was out due to a family discipline issue. Ryan was going half-speed because of his knee (and eventually standing off to the side during team offense), and Connor was out due to a hit during tackling. Connor said he felt a some sort of sharp pain in his back and his legs felt weird. At that point, I believe he started to hyper-ventilate. We got him off to the side and calmed down. His mom eventually took him back home. I'm told he's alright now.

So, numerically speaking, we weren't there.

Defensively, we're still struggling, particularly at the corners. Our changes I believe can help us, but the corners still have to make sure they know what their player is doing before trying to help with contain. We completed a few passes on them tonight, which I really don't want to see.

With Ray, Ryan, and Connor out, I was forced to move Nathaniel back to linebacker from corner, to use Nolan at tackle, and have Nick T at the other corner.

Offensively, Layne moved to center. Alex and Nolan became the new right side of our line. It made me weary, but they did decently against the air. Jacob became our 2nd fullback. Ordinarily, I'd use David there, but we're already down two on the offensive line.

That said, not too bad offensively. We're still struggling on pulls and which way. I'm hoping we're getting better at that, though.

I've actually got my fingers crossed at this point that this week's game gets 'rained' out. I wouldn't be upset about it. I'd love another week to prepare and I'd love to get to see our opponent once before playing them.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:25 PM   #152
Poli
FOFC Survivor

After speaking with his mom, Connor will likely miss tomorrow's game. That moves Nathaniel back to linebacker, freeing up some playing time for the corners.

Offensively, we're in a bit of a hurt locker. JD and Jacob received crash courses in fullback play from their parents tonight. Ideally, I'd use David there, but he's needed on the offensive line. Should things go great, Alex and/or Nolan can sub for him and David can get some work in at fullback. Still, this is a good opportunity to get all three wings in at the same time, and another chance to get Jacob some 'fake' assignments while getting playing time.

Ryan's dad said Ryan is okay, but we'll try to limit the amount he's on the field defensively. This opens up some playing time for Alex and Nolan as well.

I feel wafer thin tonight as we head into tomorrow morning's game. It would be very nice to pick up a win tomorrow and be able to relax for a bit.

After our game, I'm planning on heading down to my hometown. Our next opponent, the Blue Hawks will be playing at 1:30. I should be able to make that game. I haven't decided if I'll try to mask that I'm out there or not. I'm leaning to 'disguising' myself and not wearing my typical orange.

Shoot, I'd have to drive my wife's car to the game as well, since my Neon has the orange T on the hood. Kind of a dead giveaway.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:45 PM   #153
Poli
FOFC Survivor

We won today, 6-0, though we're incredibly lucky to do so.

We lost the toss and eventually elected to receive. The kick bounced over Bryce's head and he eventually fell on it at the 22. Holy cow, what bad field position.

A fumbled snap and two plays later, we're looking at 4th and 9. I make a mental note of the 3 man defensive line and we punt it away, the ball landing on our 40.

The SCAC Tigers get a first down on a big 4th down conversion, but fail to get a first down on the next series. We take over on our own 9 yard line. We run one play, get one yard, and that ends the first quarter.

Here's where we start having a little fun. We start wedging and it works. We gain two first downs before JD tires. Jacob comes in and we sweep for no gain, Toss left with Carlos who gains 3, and fumble the snap for a loss of 2. Hunter punts it away, and they take over at midfield.

A fumble by their squad gives us the ball on our 45, with 3 minutes left. Ideally, I'd wedge some more, but I'm running out of clock. We toss for 3 with Bryce, Counter with Carlos for no gain, and try our first pass, which falls incomplete. We took half the time off the clock and punted to their 40.

They come out passing, completing a few but getting sacked as well. The clock runs out as they end up on our 15.

0-0 at the half, and honestly, we're pretty lucky. I'm very happy we're kicking off to them this time.

Jacob gets off a very nice onside kick and Ray recovers the ball. He literally took it away from a boy who had his hand on it but away from his body. Noah takes the first snap at quarterback and it's fumbled. Out he goes. Nathaniel comes in and pitches the ball too high for Bryce. Bad news, the other team recovers.

We get the ball back on another turnover, essentially at midfield. Bryce breaks off a great run on a counter, and we're stopped on our 25. Carlos runs a toss to the left getting us to the 15 before FUMBLING.

After failing to convert on 4th and 2, we took over on downs at their 25 in the 4th. Soon after, the fourth quarter started.

We wedged twice. Jacob carried on a wedge for 3 yards, JD for 4. We try our second pass on 3rd and 3 and can't convert it. 4th and 3 on their 18, it feels eerily like last week's game. I can't help myself. I call the same play I called in the game last week. 49 Sweep. Hunter makes the block. Carlos scores.

I knew we could do it.

After our extra point run failed, I had a bit of a conference with the refs. Their players lined up in a 2 point stance over our players. The refs said 'it's legal in a goal line defense'. I told him, shoot, I'm always lined up in a goal-line defense. Literally, we were in a 10-1 for most of the day. I asked where we draw the line with it, and they told me they'd look into it.

3 minutes left. We onside, Jacob kicks it nearly straight ahead this time, fortunately, there was no return. Whew. Ball on the 50, 3 minutes to go. 4 straight incompletions, of which 2 or 3 cost me a year off my life, and we take over with 2:40 on the clock.

We wedge once more, sweep right and try our special "Crunch Right". Crunch Right looked horrible, losing 4 or 5 yards in the process. The boys lined up correctly in practice, did it correctly in the pregame, and layed an egg during the game. Our wings were more like flankers. Bryce lined up over the tackle instead of behind the quarterback. I wasn't about to call timeout.

4th down, we try a sweep to the left, it gains a few, but not enough. Still, they've got some 50-60 yards to score.

They don't, a sack and 3 incompletions later, we take over with 28 seconds on the clock.

We lined up in a weird victory formation, took a knee, and watched the final 20 seconds run off the clock.

Woot! Vols win over a team that won 20-0 the week before!
Old 09-13-2008, 05:52 PM   #154
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Forget the ugly, embrace the W!!

Nice work Vols~!
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:05 PM   #155
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The "1" looks just fine from here. Ain't no ugly wins (just ugly plays en route to a win).

Grats.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:14 PM   #156
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Nice W coach!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:31 PM   #157
BYU 14
Coordinator

Better an ugly win than a pretty loss any day, nice job Rodney.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:21 PM   #158
Barkeep49
Coordinator

To me you had a lot of things go right here in that your defense played a shut-out. Just as one or two plays determined this week, so did it determine last week. That first win can be the toughest. Congrats on achieving it.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:14 PM   #159
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Thanks guys. It was really a great experience. I've coached before and won, but never as the head coach of a tackle football team.

There were a few things I won't forget about this.

1. The first win. Incredibly relieving.
2. Getting Jacob positive yards without injury or a fumble.
3. Winning without Connor playing fullback or linebacker for us.
4. Opposing coaches yelling about how we were illegally running our wedge by holding hands as we ran upfield.

The last part nearly had me laughing behind our offense as we kept running the wedge for yards. They did complement me on the wedge after the game and on our ability to put pressure on the outside edge.

After this game, I ate a quick lunch with my wife and in-laws. I then headed off to the Blue Hawks game. I was running late, but so were their games. I ended up about 15 minutes early.

The Blue Hawks do NOTHING too fancy.

5-3 defense. Nothing fancy about that.

Two tight ends, pro set backfield. Flanker left or right. Depending on where the flanker is, that's where the RUN IS EVERY TIME. The crazy part? It's a quick pitch to the outside. EVERY TIME. We'll kill that play.

They ran a pass out of it a few times, but they ROLLED LEFT EVERY TIME, since their quarterback is a lefty. Because of that, they THREW IT TO #31 every time in that formation.

The only other play they ran out of pro set? A quick pitch, halfback pass. Again, we should murder it.

Their other main formation was a double tight end wishbone set. Normally, that would give you problems, but they only ran three plays out of it. Off tackle left, off tackle right, AND ONE PASS. Off tackle worries me. We'll adjust to put more men at the point of attack.

Finally, with less than a minute to go in the first half, they ran a trips set, but threw to the backside tight end on the first play. The second play they ran a pitch to that backside for a touchdown. Again, nothing I should be afraid of.

Overall, I'm VERY excited about this game. The Blue Hawks are now 2-0, but I very much believe we'll make them 2-1 next Saturday.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:19 PM   #160
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I'm surprised the Blue Hawks have had so much success with what seems like a very pass heavy attack for the age.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:25 PM   #161
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Some of these other teams are really surprising me with the amount of passes. Today's team probably completed 2 of 12 passes.

The Blue Hawks, on the other hand, were a different story. I had #8 at 6 of 7 for 1 touchdown and interception. They also didn't complete the halfback pass. 5 of the 6 went to #31, the other to their best back, #6.

The team the Blue Hawks played actually went with an empty backfield nearly half their plays on offense. Three receivers and a tight end on one side, tight end to the other. Very surprising, especially since there wasn't a single pass in our first game by either team.

We definitely have to be ready for the pass this week. On the other hand, they absolutely never, ever ran a dive play. We won't have to worry there.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:22 AM   #162
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
I'll post my thoughts and comments about tonight's scrimmage tomorrow. For now, all I have to say is:
1. I LOVE THIS GAME.

2. I WAS MEANT FOR THIS.

YES

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:45 PM   #163
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Woohoo! I can't begin thinking how great you must feel after this first win.

Congrats to your boys on our behalf, I'm sure they were thrilled as well!

Last edited by fantastic flying froggies : 09-14-2008 at 02:48 PM.
fantastic flying froggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:14 PM   #164
Poli
FOFC Survivor

It looks like we may scrap the Toss play as our tosses seem to be errant. With just two practices a week, it's been hard to get enough reps to keep it consistent for all of our backs. Along with that, we'll scrap the "counter" since it was married to the toss action.

Instead, we'll try and use a broken bone look with a wing. It'll run similar to the toss, instead we're giving up the toss and giving a handoff instead. We'll lose the lead blocker but gain assurance in ball handling.

The counter will look more like a reverse, but it will keep the name. We'll fake power and have the wing run around the power action and take a handoff the other way.

I'd love to stick with my beloved double wing toss play, but with such limited practice times, I just can't.

We'll keep the double wing sweep and wedge, but I can't afford many more 5-9 yard losses on botched toss plays.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:14 AM   #165
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

You wouldn't be axing plays if you ran the run and shoot.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:26 AM   #166
Icy
Pro Starter

Awesome to see how good is your team doing.

As a newcomer to HS football, i'm really surprised at the lack of passes thrown not only by your team but the whole league for what you say. I even wonder if the QB position matters at all and now i can understand why QB's redshirt in college as i bet the are really underdeveloped from passing this little in HS.

I guess i have watched too much Friday night lights and expected gameplay like college

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:15 PM   #167
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Icy, if I'm not mistaken, these are 9-10 year olds...still 5-6 years away from high school football.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:17 PM   #168
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Awesome to see how good is your team doing.

As a newcomer to HS football, i'm really surprised at the lack of passes thrown not only by your team but the whole league for what you say. I even wonder if the QB position matters at all and now i can understand why QB's redshirt in college as i bet the are really underdeveloped from passing this little in HS.

I guess i have watched too much Friday night lights and expected gameplay like college
I can only speak for myself, but there's been a fairly big sea change in local HS sports in the last 10 years. It used to be that you would find nearly everyone with a run heavy attack. There are still programs like that, but you're seeing more and more variety. But as has been pointed out, expected U10s to QB seriously isn't completely realistic.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:23 PM   #169
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Icy, if I'm not mistaken, these are 9-10 year olds...still 5-6 years away from high school football.

Ooops sorry, i mixed up threads as i'm also following BYU14's HS coaching dynasty. Of course you don't pass at this age, sorry.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:51 PM   #170
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
I can only speak for myself, but there's been a fairly big sea change in local HS sports in the last 10 years. It used to be that you would find nearly everyone with a run heavy attack. There are still programs like that, but you're seeing more and more variety. But as has been pointed out, expected U10s to QB seriously isn't completely realistic.

Even 10-20 years ago weren't the vast majority of D1 college teams going >70% run?
Old 09-17-2008, 04:15 PM   #171
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Just like baseball...chicks dig the long ball...they also dig the long bomb.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:57 PM   #172
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I believe last week's game was some sort of record for pass attempts against a youth football team of mine, as an assistant or head coach. 15 times is a lot at this age. Shoot, it's kind of a lot for junior high kids.

When I drove out to see our next opponent, I was surprised to see a tight end and three flankers on one side of the field for nearly half of a team's plays. I do recall, though, seeing a Pop Warner team in California going no-huddle and throwing nearly every down, though it wasn't successful.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #173
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Practice was a little hectic yesterday. We had some dropped snaps, a few fumbles, kids trying to do things there way. I bet we did 100 pushups by the end of the practice, which isn't a good sign.

We installed the new Power and Counter, and that went in seamlessly. The Power, in particular, looks almost exactly what a good Toss looks like. I'm very very happy with that. We'll have to see on the counter. With our limited amount of players, it's hard to gauge a counter's success.

Connor suited up initially, but took his pads off after warming up. He still feels something in his back. Coach Steve believe he may have a fractured rib, but it's anyone's guess at this point. I should find out today. I've been preparing myself for Life After Connor. I would hate to lose a kid like him, that's for sure. JD and Jacob will have to be ready to go at fullback if that's the case.

Layne also missed due to illness.

Defensively, we were on point. We were calling out the team's formations together, loud and proud. Their tendencies are heavily influenced on their formation. I'm looking to take advantage of that.

I still suspect we'll have a big game defensively this week.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:28 AM   #174
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Connor's back and shoulder were 'misaligned', according to their chiropractor. He'll miss practice today. He's hoping to play on Saturday.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:42 PM   #175
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Not sure I mentioned scores of the other association teams or not. Anyhow, here's an updated schedule/record of each.

L 9/6 10:15 Home TCYFA Bulldogs (2-0, Won 26-0)
W 9/13 10:30 Away SCAC Tigers 1 (1-1, We beat them 6-0)
9/20 12:00 Away HYFA Blue Hawks (2-0, Won 20-8)
9/27 9:00 Away TCYFA Trojans (2-0, Won 13-6)
10/4 10:30 Away JCYFA Raiders (0-2, Lost 0-34)
10/11 9:15 Home JCYFA Titans (2-0, Won 41-0)
10/18 10:30 Home HYFA White Hawks (1-1, Won 34-0)
10/25 12:00 Home JCYFA Steelers (0-2, 0-40)

I believe looking at other schedules, we have one of the toughest around. It turned out SCAC Tigers 1 was indeed the best squad they had up there. The HYFA Blue Hawks are the best squad for them as well. While I suspect the Trojans will lose to the TCYFA Tigers this week, they'll be 2-1 heading into our game. The Titans are the cream of the JCYFA as well. The White Hawks are the 2nd squad for the HYFA, while the other two JCYFA teams are fodder.

TCYFA teams, including the head-to-head matchup with the Bulldogs, are now 7-1.

The Tigers made mincemeat out of the Steelers, trouncing them 40-0. The big news? Their best player, Sam M., didn't score a touchdown. The Bulldogs beat a team not on our schedule, 26-0. The Trojans squeeked out a win against the SGYFA 2 team, 13-6, the same team that the Tigers thrashed in week 1.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:32 PM   #176
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

what's the difference between all these leagues? is it based just on a geographical setting, or is there a difference in level or what?
Old 09-18-2008, 03:42 PM   #177
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantastic flying froggies View Post
what's the difference between all these leagues? is it based just on a geographical setting, or is there a difference in level or what?
Towns, for the most part. I actually live in the HYFA 'area', but two of my players are from this area. It's almost like a Confederation of sorts. We're 'independent', but choose to play each other.

Each association decides who can coach, how to draft, how many per team, minimum plays, things like that.

HYFA teams, for example, never play each other during a season.

TCYFA teams, in my case, are the only league to mandate that every player WILL play six plays per half.

UPDATE: Connor has a broken rib at the bottom of his ribcage, a clean break approximately 1 inch from his spine. Surprising to me, his doctor said football is up to them and that he could potentially play if he felt like it. Connor and his parents signed off on it as well.

He'll essentially be a game time decision each week for 4-5 weeks, or essentially the rest of the season. He'll be non-contact during the week as well.

Last edited by Poli : 09-19-2008 at 09:02 AM.
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:07 AM   #178
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Practice was decent. We covered things well defensively. We worked on some quick passes to the outside a few inside runs, in case they may try to mix in something along those lines.

Offensively, we worked in our "Connor 24 Power", this week's trick play. It's essentially the same play for us, with a 3 foot gap between our right guard and tackle. Our fullback, Connor or whoever, will line up 1 yard behind the line and in that gap. Essentially an overshift, but also an eligible receiver.

We struggled a little keeping our concentration, but overall I thought we did well.

Pictures were supposed to be tomorrow morning at the now flooded football field. They've been moved to a nearby town. We'll have to hustle in order to get our game in time to warm up properly.

I'm not very happy about that, but it is what it is.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:49 AM   #179
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Overcast today. I'm about to leave for the team photos.

50% chance of rain at gametime.

GO VOLS!
Old 09-20-2008, 01:52 PM   #180
Poli
FOFC Survivor

18-6 WIN! 18 points in the first quarter!!
Old 09-20-2008, 02:35 PM   #181
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

So, you still need to work on halftime adjustments? Good job!
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 03:44 PM   #182
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Another solid victory. Can't wait to read the details.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:28 PM   #183
Poli
FOFC Survivor

You'll get uber details this game, I had a parent tape the game!
Old 09-20-2008, 09:18 PM   #184
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Very, very cool.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:24 AM   #185
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Woot
Old 09-21-2008, 01:27 AM   #186
Poli
FOFC Survivor

We start out the game losing the toss, and having the Blue Hawks elect to receive. We turn around and kick with the wind.

Jacob kicks a looping 15 yarder that bounces away from the Hawks 3 yards further downfield. Carlos recovers! We have it! Score another recovery on the onside kick team. That's 4 kicks, and 2 recoveries on the season.

We start out differently this game. We run 30 Wedge on them. It gains 3. This call worried me as it was Connor's first action. We turn around and call our "new" 24 Power. Bryce heads upfield as desired, and cuts across the grain, 39 yards later, he's in the endzone!!! We call 24 Pass, it's open, but we short arm it. Turned out Connor went the wrong way, Ray failed to block anyone. The two guys rushed Nathaniel into throwing early, or we complete it.

6-0 VOLS

This time our kickoff is recovered in the air by an ineligible player (over the weight limit), they start on their 47. 2 of 5 now.

Mind you, we have a plan for them. We're doing different things for them depending on their formation...and the fact they'll move #6, their best player, around a little and try to get him the ball when they do that.

First play is a wishbone, which is 90% likely to be offtackle left or right. It goes to our right. We blow it up. Carlos and Nick C make the tackle. The next play is a Trips Right formation, pitch left. Again, something we expected. Nathaniel BLOWS IT UP for a 4 yard loss. By blow it up, I'm talking one of those sick youtube video hits that you see showing youth football players making big tackles. 3rd and 16, they try their patented pass, that we're more than ready for. It goes incomplete despite Connor actually messing up. We gameplanned for that, actually. Carlos came over and actually covered the only guy they throw to in their favorite pass play, so it was alright that Connor missed it. 4th and 16. Punt? No, that would make too much sense. They go for it. They run the trick play pass we knew was coming. Jacob, of all people, intercepts it and returns it 5 yards!

Our ball, on their 40.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:32 AM   #187
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Here's where some of the headaches start. We come out running 49 Sweep, and Carlos scores on it, but Ray wasn't set. On film, you can see him lower down as Nathaniel called out the first go. Bad Ray.

1st and 15, and we wedge for another yard. 2nd and 14, Bryce is called for illegal forward motion on 24 Power. He was trying to set up closer and the ball was snapped. 2nd and 19, we call 49 Sweep again, and we lose a yard. Ashanti and Bryce are doing their own thing. That's why it didn't work. Carlos loses a yard. 3rd and 20. We go back to 24 Power. We get a little lucky when they overrun the play, Nick C makes a good block, and Bryce scores his 2nd touchdown of the day and the season from 50 yards out.

We call 45 Power for the XP, only to have the left side fail to block the right people. Carlos is smothered.

12-0 Vols.

Last edited by Poli : 09-21-2008 at 01:36 AM.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:43 AM   #188
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I noticed the last time we kicked off that they had changed over to cover the right side. I whispered to Jacob that we needed to fake that and kick left. He says okay. I tell Nick C and Nathaniel to get ready.

Jacob instead kicks it down the middle, where David makes the tackle on their 44. 2 of 6 on kickoffs now.

They come back out in the Wishbone, and try to power Right. Ray comes over from the weakside and knocks the ball out and then falls on it. Our ball again! This time on their 44.

We call 30 Crazy Wedge, which is designed to distract the defense as we wedge it. Instead, we distract the referee as Bryce does his own thing, shuffles, sets, shuffles, moves his hands like he's catching the ball before the snap. 5 yard penalty, that's a recurring theme.

28 Sweep is the next call. Ray decleats a boy and a huge hole is opened up. Bryce scores 49 yards later! 6 minutes into the game, and we have a 3 touchdown lead!

The XP is botched again. We call 45 Pass, but Nick T (in for Ashanti) doesn't go out for a pass. Nick C does, but he's not supposed to. He doesn't block the guy who blindsides Nathaniel. Of course, Nate may have actually thrown it if Nick had ran his pattern.

18-0 Good Guys!
Old 09-21-2008, 01:48 AM   #189
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Jacob knows he screwed the last one up, so he's determined not to mess this one up. I see their spread out, I tell him to kick it right. As I back up my mandated 10 yards from the play, Jacob turns and ASKS ME WHERE TO KICK IT AGAIN. When I point to the right, the other coach sends the boys to our left to our right. Thanks, Jacob.

The worse part? He doesn't kick it there again. It's down the middle, to #6, their best player. He returns it the 50, where Nick C. makes the tackle.

Ray makes a BIG HIT on #6 (like Nathaniel, only picture a 200 pounder hitting a 90 lb kid) for a 4 yard loss. They try their fave pass, only to throw it away thanks to our heavy rush. 3rd and 14, they fumble the ball and lose 3 on what looked to be a pitch to our right. As they set up for 4th down and 17, the quarter ends.

18-0 VOLS
Old 09-21-2008, 01:53 AM   #190
Poli
FOFC Survivor

4th and 17, they don't punt again. Instead, they come out with a trips set and motion the back to the trips set. They then run their QB behind the 4 receivers, and he scores. Thankfully, an obvious block in the back sends them back to a 4th and 20. Punt? Why no. They run the same play. Sweet. It's not like he's tired or anything. He's not, apparently. He runs for 15 yards before being forced out of bounds, but there was movement on the line. Why they didn't stop the play, I don't know. I won't complain. Instead, it's now 4th and 25. Trips Right. They try their pass out of this set, only the tight end doesn't go. He tries to block instead. The quarterback turns back the other way to find Ashanti there waiting. He spins around while Ashanti holds on, JD finishes him off for a 5 yard loss!

We take over on their 30!
Old 09-21-2008, 02:01 AM   #191
Poli
FOFC Survivor

We come out with our trick play of the week, the Connor 24 Power, which is just an odd looking play. It's 24 Power, but with Connor in a double arm interval gap between Layne and Ray. I can see the confusion in the coach's eyes. He starts counting. We snap the ball, gain 8, only to have David called for holding.

That's Penalty #4, if you're scoring. It gets worse. Penalty 5 comes right after on Ashanti not being set. We lose 2 on a sweep, get a busted play on the counter for a lovely loss of 10, and then lose 5 on a sweep the other way. Again, if you're counting, that's a 4th and 42, with the first down marker being on the 20 yard line. We punt, but Hunter for whatever reason lines up 10 yards deep and let's the ball get away from him. It rolls to the right, which is a huge problem since we're kicking to our sideline on the left. His punt goes to the middle, about 10 yards downfield. David stops it for no return.

Ray intercepts the ball when they repeat the play they ran on 4th down. It's a deadball where he intercepts it, our 40.

Penalty #6 on Nick T, a false start. Bryce loses 4 on a sweep, Connor fumbles the ball away on the wedge. They take over on our 30.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:07 AM   #192
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Penalty 7 comes immediately, Ashanti offsides. It's now they show some plays I didn't see the previous week. They start diving up the middle, which is a smart thing for them. We had been ignoring it all game, since they hadn't shown they ran a play that way. They gain 9.

They try it again, only to fumble, which is #6's 2nd of the game. Carlos recovers.

Carlos turns around and gets 2 on a sweep. I reluctantly call time out with 30 seconds left after actually gaining yards. I think we are ready to move the ball and decide to gamble, despite being near my own endzone. We call 24 pass. Tons of stuff go wrong, with it ending in an interception. Stupid me.

They take over on our 10 and score 2 plays later. They miss the 2pt kick. 18-6.

They finish out the half with a kickoff, which is deep and between my 2nd and 3rd row. I had moved Carlos into the 3rd row with Bryce for this game, since they always kick it deep. Bryce takes the ball and runs sideways for our sideline, but doesn't get a yard.

That's the half. I felt like we were playing not to lose on offense that 2nd quarter. It repeats itself in the 2nd half.

Last edited by Poli : 09-21-2008 at 02:09 AM.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:16 AM   #193
Poli
FOFC Survivor

JD recovers the 2nd half kickoff, which was a bit of a squib to the right.

We're immediately called for penalties 8 and 9, holding and false start Flipping sweet. We gain 3 on a wedge, only to fumble it away on a sweep.

Blue Hawks ball on our 28, and they try something new again. The reverse doesn't fool Layne or Ray. We stuff it for a loss of 2. Carlos stuffs a pitch play for no gain. Hunter and Layne stop a dive for a gain of 2. They come out with the trips/motion play again, but the quarterback never gets the ball. Ashanti, strolling through the backfield as he took the play off, recovers as he gets lucky.

We lose 9 yards on the next 3 plays. Hunter punts its right to #6 this time, then tries to tell me it went off the side of his foot. Come on, son. You were facing him. It couldn't have gone off the side of your foot. We get a net of 2 on the punt.

Hunter makes the tackle on the dive up the middle and then Carlos picks off their favorite pass, this time returning it down to our 43.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:21 AM   #194
Poli
FOFC Survivor

We get 2 on the wedge, 6 on a sweep. Just when we may have shaken off our funk, we get penalty 10 and no gain on a Power. Since we're near midfield and Hunter has failed me twice in a row now, we run wedge even though there's no hope of getting it. Connor gains 2.

They take over on our 46 and our 2nd unit finishing out their mandated plays. They drive downfield, pitching left and right. Without Nick C and Bryce, they probably score. Nick C, though, wasn't doing his job properly. We got lucky.

On the goalline, we stuff them. Connor, Carlos, Ray, and Nick C all make goalline tackles to keep them out of the endzone.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:23 AM   #195
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Taking over on our 5, I get Jacob the ball. He didn't get his carry in. Rats, I should have in that 2nd quarter! Dang it!

Jacob carries for 3 and doesn't fumble! Woot! We call it again. We fumble the snap. Are you kidding me!?

4 more plays on the goalline, and we make big plays left and right. Ray, Ashanti, and Nathaniel all make tackles, with Nathaniel nailing the back on their 4th down on the pitch.

We kneel on it for the final play.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:32 AM   #196
Poli
FOFC Survivor

All that said, outside of the first quarter, totally horrible game offensively for us. 10 penalties, all on offense. I'd let it slide if I couldn't see what the refs saw on the film. Pretty horrible.

Outside of Bryce's 3 TDs, we lost a total of 10 yards offensively. I'm not kidding. With those runs, we had 128 yards rushing. Looks can be deceiving. Bryce ends up with 7 rushes for 124. Carlos 5 for 3 yards. Jacob 1 for 3. Connor 7 for 9.

Nathaniel was officially 0-1 passing, with the INT. He was also saddled with the 10 yard loss on the busted counter.

Defensively, I couldn't ask for more. Five turnovers. 3 first downs total. The TD scored on the short field, and that's my fault.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:40 AM   #197
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The coaches will get together 'today' and watch film. It's going to be ugly. I know it was for me.

Tuesday will likely be a "BACK TO BASICS" day, where we revert to 5 on 5 half line. No one is guaranteed a job at this point outside of Alex, who was my only defensive linemen to bear crawl in the game.

I'm going to be on their butts, that's for sure. We'll run a lap for every minute the entire team isn't there on time and suited up. We'll warm up and then run ten 20-yard sprints, one for every penalty.

Afterward, it'll be half line, maybe for the entire practice time. If the offensive lineman let's him through, he runs. If a defender backs out or doesn't bear crawl, he's out and running.

I'm steaming over how we played that second half offensively. It's time to be Mr. Bad Guy Tuesday.

Notes: Bryce was all over the place, drawing 3 penalties for loafing and getting called for illegal procedures in the process.

Hunter will be replaced by Carlos as the punter.

Alex WILL take the place of Ryan on defense. Carlos is likely safe at corner, Ray at linebacker, Nathaniel at end, Bryce at safety. Otherwise, game on. I'll open it up across the board.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:52 PM   #198
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Tuesday Update: I made every kid cry.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:06 PM   #199
Poli
FOFC Survivor

After we allowed the touchdown, Ray verbally whipped our defensive end for allowing the score. One, yelling at the teammate is wrong. Two, Ray was wrong as well. That was the linebacker's job.

I yanked him off the field and gave him what for as he got on the sideline, quiet enough to keep everyone else from hearing it. The big boy nearly broke down there so I let off the pedal.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:40 PM   #200
Poli
FOFC Survivor

For the record, only two boys cried, and it was before we even got to the sprints. They cried as they were finishing their laps for Ray and Ashanti being late.

Water breaks and finishing sprints ended consistently, one knee on the white line. For most of the practice, we were live tackling and running half line. I think it opened their eyes to who and where to block.

We finished up with 20 minutes of wedge blocking and our new trick play, "Trojan". Trojan consists of Carlos taking the ball in shotgun and blowing out the right side of the line with everyone else.

Wedge blocking started with just our center and guards...slowly adding the tackles, tightends, and finally the wings.

If anyone during the practice missed their block or did something wrong, they went and took a lap.