Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-24-2019, 11:02 AM   #153
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

They'll be at a small club in Philly in a few weeks. May pick up tickets for that one.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:39 PM   #155
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Caught Iron Maiden last night. They may be 5 90-year old dudes explicitly touring to advertise their mobile game, but they still sound super good!

Secondarily, the opening band The Raven Age was a rancid pile of puke, but sounded like some melodic/harmonic/symphonic horseshit you goobers in this thread would love.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:01 PM   #157
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Caught Iron Maiden last night. They may be 5 90-year old dudes explicitly touring to advertise their mobile game, but they still sound super good!

Secondarily, the opening band The Raven Age was a rancid pile of puke, but sounded like some melodic/harmonic/symphonic horseshit you goobers in this thread would love.

The Raven Age is metalcore.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:02 PM   #158
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Damnit.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:05 PM   #159
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Sure they had horrible blast beats, but they also had nasally emo vocals! Is that really some kinda core? They sounded dangerously close to (not-so) nu-metal, like England's third best late-era-Korn cover band.

Last edited by thesloppy : 09-07-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:13 PM   #161
thesloppy
Pro Starter

If you dropped every single instrument (and the vocals) down a few octaves that would probably appeal to my crappy tastes. I should probably play symphonic metal videos at half speed!
Old 09-07-2019, 07:25 PM   #162
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Could I interest you in some melodic Finnish death metal from Amorphis, who use Scandinavian lore as themes?

Old 09-07-2019, 07:39 PM   #163
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Allllllmost, but still too clean and too fast for me during the verse. I did like the acoustic guitar breakdown bit, almost flamenco, which was surprising!
Old 09-07-2019, 07:44 PM   #164
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Next week I'm going to see olde 80s and 90s crusties the Melvins & Redd Kross. The Melvins (speaking of half-speed) are probably my favorite live band that I've seen a dozen+ times over the decades, and they still sound really good and are purposely playing at a small 300-person venue, so I'm super stoked about that.

Also going to Torche on Friday, who are one of the rare modern/relevant bands my crusty ass follows. They allllllllllmost approach some melodic moments on occasion:

Old 09-07-2019, 07:59 PM   #165
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Here is some amazing symphonic metal for you...

Love all three, part of my holy quartet with Lacuna Coil. Was so happy when Floor became the lead singer for Nightwish, was great with After Forever.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:05 PM   #166
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
Love all three, part of my holy quartet with Lacuna Coil. Was so happy when Floor became the lead singer for Nightwish, was great with After Forever.

I like what I have heard from Lacuna Coil, I just keep forgetting to go back to them for some reason (but I don't know why). These three have been my holy trinity of symphonic metal so far.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:11 PM   #167
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Have you gotten to see any of the 4 live? Got to see Nightwish in March of 2018 and Within Temptation in March of 2019. I saw the last show Epica has scheduled is in 2020 in New York, which I hope is the sign that a US tour will be kicked off with that show.

Nightwish was amazing. Within Temptation was very good but I fell victim of the group that opened for them, In Flames. In Flames was so high energy that I realized partway into the Within Temptation set that I was still drained and was still sitting down (we had balcony seats in the venue so we could easily see from being seated it just felt weird being seated).
Old 09-08-2019, 12:27 PM   #168
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Have you gotten to see any of the 4 live? Got to see Nightwish in March of 2018 and Within Temptation in March of 2019. I saw the last show Epica has scheduled is in 2020 in New York, which I hope is the sign that a US tour will be kicked off with that show.

Nightwish was amazing. Within Temptation was very good but I fell victim of the group that opened for them, In Flames. In Flames was so high energy that I realized partway into the Within Temptation set that I was still drained and was still sitting down (we had balcony seats in the venue so we could easily see from being seated it just felt weird being seated).

Seen all of them live, probably the same tours for Nightwish and Within Temptation. A fan of In Flames too so that was a great concert. Seen Lacuna Coil live more than any other band, 5 or 6 times.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:54 PM   #169
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Old 09-10-2019, 07:03 PM   #170
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Have also become slighly obsessed by this song by Squid

Squid - The Dial (Official Audio) - YouTube

I came across a Squid song I really liked, and it took me weeks to remember that you were where I had heard of them. Thanks for putting them on my radar!

Old 09-11-2019, 11:42 AM   #171
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
I came across a Squid song I really liked, and it took me weeks to remember that you were where I had heard of them. Thanks for putting them on my radar!

No worries! The new EP’s pretty decent too.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:24 PM   #172
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Next week I'm going to see olde 80s and 90s crusties the Melvins & Redd Kross. The Melvins (speaking of half-speed) are probably my favorite live band that I've seen a dozen+ times over the decades, and they still sound really good and are purposely playing at a small 300-person venue, so I'm super stoked about that.

This was good stuff. I was right on top of Buzz's monitor, about 12 inches from the mic. Buzz's grandparents were there, and his grandad must be 90+ and parked his walker behind Buzz's stack....you can see just a corner of it, peaking out behind the wall on the left in this vid:

Last edited by thesloppy : 09-12-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:49 AM   #173
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Tropical Fuck Storm “Braindrops” is psychedelic and chaos and awesome.

Looking forward to Nick Cave’s Ghosteen.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 05:39 AM   #174
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

There's surprises and then there's the latest single from Sturgill Simpson.

Can't remember the last time I've been more shocked by what came out of my speakers when I clicked Play.

Sturgill Simpson - Sing Along (Official Video) - YouTube
Old 10-16-2019, 03:44 PM   #175
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Checking out Halsey. So far I like it but am a little disturbed by how many songs I recognize from kidz bop covering them.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:08 PM   #179
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Would so love to see the Hu opening for Babymetal in Seattle tonight. Really want to see the Hu but neither show in Colorado works with my schedule. Almost saw them in DC but didn't buy tickets soon enough.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:50 PM   #180
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Would so love to see the Hu opening for Babymetal in Seattle tonight. Really want to see the Hu but neither show in Colorado works with my schedule. Almost saw them in DC but didn't buy tickets soon enough.

Saw them at he Stone Pony in Asbury Park last month. Will be going to see them in Philly in November. They have such a great sound in concert.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:50 PM   #181
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Saw them at he Stone Pony in Asbury Park last month. Will be going to see them in Philly in November. They have such a great sound in concert. The Hu that is. Saw Babymetal last month with Avatar opening. Also a great show.

Last edited by EagleFan : 10-16-2019 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:26 PM   #182
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Checking out Halsey. So far I like it but am a little disturbed by how many songs I recognize from kidz bop covering them.

She's been my most played the last year. She's not a great vocalist, but she's a creative and poetic writer. I fully engage with the vast majority of her work. Plus her side projects almost always deliver.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:59 PM   #183
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
She's been my most played the last year. She's not a great vocalist, but she's a creative and poetic writer. I fully engage with the vast majority of her work. Plus her side projects almost always deliver.

Thats why I gave her a try. I really like Eastside and to a lesser extent Closer.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:45 PM   #184
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Tempted to go see In This Moment Saturday night... should be an interesting show...

Old 10-17-2019, 09:37 PM   #186
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I think they could make a pretty effective Clockwork Orange treatment for me, using only the music & videos in this thread.

I kid, I kid, and I just love to talk shit about music. I know full well my own taste appeals to nobody.

Is this good?

I believe it's the result of a couple nameless ghouls peeling off of Ghost, but I think my 'research' consisted of reading 2 and 1/2 youtube comments. I think I alllllmost like it, but the dude's voice is a bit too shaky or something. He sounds like he's trying to affect a voice juuust outside his natural range. I don't know shit about production/engineering, but I'd like to assume that could've been better tweaked with some studio magic.

Last edited by thesloppy : 10-17-2019 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:05 PM   #187
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Once it went techno my ears started to bleed... ... not my thing but ymmv...
Old 10-18-2019, 04:42 PM   #188
AlexB
Pro Starter

Standout track from Squid’s Town Centre EP. And I love the cover art!

Why can I sometimes embed, and sometimes not...
Edit - because the embed link is only available on the desktop YT site apparently

Last edited by AlexB : 10-19-2019 at 08:04 AM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:47 PM   #189
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Old 10-18-2019, 08:10 PM   #191
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Decent mellow out song. Not my overall cup of tea but it would be an okay background mellow and relax song. But that's just me.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:14 AM   #195
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Nothing up on YouTube yet so I can't link easily here but ... new three-track Sons of Texas EP dropped at midnight.

The single ("Lock, Stock, and Barrel") is a grooving thing but the title track "Resurgence" is delicious metal brutality that will be even better live.

Definitely worth checking out on Spotify if you're into that sort of thing.

Damn these guys are good (and hella fun live if you ever get the chance)

edit to add: YouTube link went up earlier today
https://youtu.be/VHuyDDCUPA8

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-11-2019 at 05:49 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:42 PM   #196
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Don't think I'll get a chance to see them anytime soon. Got... Nearest Show: Webster, TX
Old 11-11-2019, 07:46 PM   #197
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Has anyone seen Geoff Tate recently? Will be seeing him in February, curious what to expect. Has his voices kept up? Also see that his daughter's band is the opener; not sure what to expect there.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:58 PM   #198
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Has anyone seen Geoff Tate recently? Will be seeing him in February, curious what to expect. Has his voices kept up? Also see that his daughter's band is the opener; not sure what to expect there.

Tate sounds great on the new Avantasia album. Haven't seen him live in a long time though.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:02 PM   #199
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

His voice has held up really well, you will be happy with the show, not sure about his daughters band though.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:25 AM   #200
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Best I can tell his voice is closer to classic Tate than it was in most of the past decade or two. Why that is, I can't say, but even being fairly anti-Tate I will say that.

(I still think his replacement in QR sounds more like classic Tate than Tate himself in 2019)