Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
spleen1015
Coordinator

Lost Season 6 - The Final Season

Is anyone else still watching this show?

While Season 5 didn't excite me quite like past seasons, I am looking forward to seeing what's up in Season 6 after the Season 5 finale.

spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I'll be watching. Got hooked early in Season 2 and I've been following ever since.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I'm still watching the show with baited breath. It may not be the popular culture sensation it was but it hasn't diminished in quality to me at all.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think the show really lost its way in the middle, but season 5 got me back in and I am excited for the final season. One thing that helped me get back into it was I watched season 5 on DVD in about a week, much easier to follow that way.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
EVEN8184
n00b

I watched the stream from Hawaii that showed the first part of tomorrow's episode and it was pretty awesome. Really looking forward to this season.
EVEN8184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
timmynausea
College Starter

I think it went way downhill after season 1. It worked its way back up over the last couple seasons, but I'm nowhere near as excited for the final season as I was heading into the 2nd season. It's still one of the better shows on TV, but unless the final season blows me away, I will always remember the series for a 1st season that completely captured my imagination and subsequent seasons that failed to pay off on that setup.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I am totally still watching this show. It's one of the few shows I actually still watch. And the only hour-long show I watch at all anymore.

I really liked Season 5. I thought the series lost (no pun intended) its way in Season 3, about halfway through, to the point where I actually stopped watching it. It came back around and the last 1/4 of Season 3 was great and I don't think the show has really fallen off since.

The best thing that happened to the show was when it was given a definitive "end date". That gave the writers boundaries within which they had to work. It really tightened things up considerably.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
The best thing that happened to the show was when it was given a definitive "end date". That gave the writers boundaries within which they had to work. It really tightened things up considerably.

Agreed. A definitive end date means they can focus on the real story and leave out the fluff, ie Mikki and Paulo.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:14 PM   #9
JS19
College Prospect

I stopped watching after season 4, didn't catch this past season at all. I feel like I have too much invested in this show not to watch this season, just hoping I can keep up after missing season 5.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:14 PM   #10
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Agreed. A definitive end date means they can focus on the real story and leave out the fluff, ie Mikki and Paulo.

Those were some of the episodes I skipped. I am aware of Mikki and Paulo, but have no idea about what their story was, who they were exactly, or what happened to them (nor do I care).
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #11
spleen1015
Coordinator

I think you want to watch Season 5 first, but that's just me. You can watch them in a week then see the premiere.

All of the episodes are online at abc.com.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #12
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
I stopped watching after season 4, didn't catch this past season at all. I feel like I have too much invested in this show not to watch this season, just hoping I can keep up after missing season 5.

It will be hard. Not only did a LOT happen, but a LOT of it was pretty weird. Not bad weird, just quite different.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #13
Samdari
Roster Filler

Nikki was hot.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #14
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
It will be hard. Not only did a LOT happen, but a LOT of it was pretty weird. Not bad weird, just quite different.

Dammit! That's not what I wanted to hear. Suppose I'll go rent season 5 and catch up.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #15
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Those were some of the episodes I skipped. I am aware of Mikki and Paulo, but have no idea about what their story was, who they were exactly, or what happened to them (nor do I care).

Typo on my part, should be Nikki.

You didn't really miss much. They tried an idea, it sucked, the buried it alive.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:22 PM   #16
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I liked the Nikki and Paulo episode. I thought it was good to have a break away episode so the entire show wasn't just all the same characters over and over at the time. Of course I've entirely liked the entire series and didn't feel any let down at any point along the way.

perhaps the difference is that I didn't actually start watching Lost until right before season 5 started. I literally watched all of season 1 through 4 pretty quickly after each other. So I didn't have to wait a week for a new episode, I got to see the next one immediately. That helped any problems with a let down episode and also made the ones like Nikki and Paulo pretty good breaks.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #17
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
I am totally still watching this show. It's one of the few shows I actually still watch. And the only hour-long show I watch at all anymore.

I really liked Season 5. I thought the series lost (no pun intended) its way in Season 3, about halfway through, to the point where I actually stopped watching it. It came back around and the last 1/4 of Season 3 was great and I don't think the show has really fallen off since.

This is as well said as I could have done. I think there was a letdown and drop off during seasons 2 and part of 3, but it has been pretty excellent television since the latter half of season 3.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the series resolves itself and hoping to get to see most of the characters, including some that we haven't seen in awhile, get some type of closure.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #18
Thomkal
Head Coach

Been watching since Episode 1. I hope they can pull it off and make Season 5 the best of the bunch, but I have my doubts. I want to get definite answers on what the island is and see people either make it off the island once and for all, or have a good reason not to make it off. I don't want to see already established plot points rewritten just so they can finish off the show. And hey, how about we see people like Claire again before its all over?
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:15 PM   #19
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Definitely still watching. I can't wait to see what happens in the final season -- they better not end it lame.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:14 PM   #20
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I liked the Nikki and Paulo episode. I thought it was good to have a break away episode so the entire show wasn't just all the same characters over and over at the time. Of course I've entirely liked the entire series and didn't feel any let down at any point along the way.

I feel you on this. I think the episode was cool and broke things up, but waiting for a whole week to see a new episode and getting one like that kind of threw me off.

Watching online or on DVD where you can knock a few episodes off at a time and then watch more the next day makes episodes like that SO much more tolerable.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:15 PM   #21
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

dola

Lost has been my favorite show since I first started watching when season one came out on DVD. Don't think it's lost its luster at all. Super excited for the final season!

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 02-01-2010 at 07:16 PM.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:09 PM   #22
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I'm skipping the Avs game tomorrow to watch it. Still a big fan. Not quite the show I thought it would be when I got hooked, but still the best one on TV IMO
Old 02-02-2010, 11:42 AM   #23
spleen1015
Coordinator

Talking about tonight's premiere with co-workers, I think I may have figured out why Season 5 was a let down for me. I read all of the spoiler sites and knew what was coming.

I did make it a point this year to avoid all of the spoilers, so I think this is going to be a good season.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #24
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'll be watching...love the show. Gonna hate to see it go.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #25
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Without giving any spoilers away do you guys think Julia detonated that bomb at the end of season 5? Do you agree with Miles when he said - Do you think you will cause the chain of events if you detonate the bomb?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #26
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Without giving any spoilers away do you guys think Julia detonated that bomb at the end of season 5? Do you agree with Miles when he said - Do you think you will cause the chain of events if you detonate the bomb?

I don't think there is any question that she detonated the bomb. I think the mystery is if it changed the course of events or was it the original incident to begin with.

It would be lame if she didn't detonate it, IMO.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #27
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Well Richard did say he saw them all die, right? I have a feeling it didn't work the way Jack wanted it to.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:13 PM   #28
kingfc22
Head Coach

Can't wait to see how this season plays out.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #29
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Well Richard did say he saw them all die, right? I have a feeling it didn't work the way Jack wanted it to.

I think they always detonated the bomb, that always has been "the incident". The bomb jars the donkey wheel throwing our Losties back to current time hence "They are coming" - Jacob. The Losties dying, according to Richard, is them simply going forward in time I think.

The question is whether they really will go down the alternate timeline path this season. I hope they don't but if they do I can see it for 4-5 episodes showing another reality (think Daniel's drawing) only to see it snap back to the actual reality that we have seen seasons 1-5.

I think Jacob knew the loophole would be found and used by the Man In Black hence him visiting the Losties and touching them (bringing John back to life?). What that touch actually means I don't know but it marks them for something.

Lapidus being mentioned as a "candidate" I think is for the new Jacob/another body for Jacob. I think the true candidate is Aaron.

my $0.02

Last edited by Chubby : 02-02-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #30
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

I think Jack is where Daniel was, thinking he can change the past/future but he can't. Daniele always gets killed by his own mother in the past. She's known this and despite the heartbreak did everything to ensure it would happen (because she had no control over it)
Old 02-02-2010, 02:00 PM   #31
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

1.21 Gigawatts!
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:50 PM   #32
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Looking pretty good so far
Old 02-02-2010, 10:10 PM   #33
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I've figured it out. at the very end, everyone from the island will wake up in Deadwood. It was all just some elaborate dream by Trixie, Joannie, Calamity Jane, Sol and Silas
Old 02-02-2010, 10:11 PM   #34
Easy Mac

I'm a bit meh, if only because I never cared about the what if in terms of the plane not crashing (although I'm sure there's a bit more to it than a simple "what if", and more inventive than alternate/parallel universes). I'm far more intersted in the on island action. If this ends with Patrick Duffy in a shower, I'm going to be pissed.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:14 PM   #35
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I'm not sure where the alternate timeline landing in L.A. is heading and not sure how that stays interesting for too long, but otherwise I really enjoyed the episode and am glad Lost is back.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:28 AM   #36
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

If the alternate reality doesn't end up affecting the main storyline then it is just masturbatory. I REALLY hope that's not the case, and I'm a bit of a Lost shill.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:53 AM   #37
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
If the alternate reality doesn't end up affecting the main storyline then it is just masturbatory. I REALLY hope that's not the case, and I'm a bit of a Lost shill.

I think the two storylines will have to intersect at some point. In fact, that may be how the show ends. Last night I was thinking wheelchair Locke will have to fight evil possessed Locke one way or another.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:25 AM   #38
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
I've figured it out. at the very end, everyone from the island will wake up in Deadwood. It was all just some elaborate dream by Trixie, Joannie, Calamity Jane, Sol and Silas

You missed E.B, who also appeared in the show for one episode in season 5.

Only thing that disturbed me on this episode was the air hostess being on the island and saying "I know who they are, they were on the first plane Oceanic 815", guess that means the 2 realities will join at some point.
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:41 AM   #39
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreizhManu View Post
You missed E.B, who also appeared in the show for one episode in season 5.

Only thing that disturbed me on this episode was the air hostess being on the island and saying "I know who they are, they were on the first plane Oceanic 815", guess that means the 2 realities will join at some point.

You are forgetting they got back to the island on via an Ajira airways crash.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:59 AM   #40
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
You are forgetting they got back to the island on via an Ajira airways crash.

I know but I still find it disturbing, how did she get there ???
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:07 AM   #41
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

She was abducted along with the children way back in Season 1. We also saw her briefly in the beginning of Season 3.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #42
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I thought it was a pretty solid opening. The parallel non-crash universe was a lot of fun to watch. It was cool to see what happened to everyone after they landed and to see the character interact for the first time again. Sort of takes you back a bit.

I agree, however, that if it doesn't some how connect back up it will be sort of odd. I assume it will. You already have Jack's dead father missing and Desmond appearing and then disappearing off the plane, so... there are odd things afoot.

The one part I could have done without was all that Juliet stuff. I really liked the character and everything, but it was a bit much to spend so much time getting her out and then have that whole tortured Sawyer holding her in his arms and such just before she died. We had enough of that at the end of the last episode. It was quite clear he loved her, she loved him, and he felt horrible that she died. We didn't really need to go through all of that again.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:52 AM   #43
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Other odd things afoot:

Hurley is now lucky instead of unlucky
Jack's little cut/bruise

Here's a whole list: Differences between flashsideways timeline and original timeline - Lostpedia - The Lost Encyclopedia

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 02-03-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:02 AM   #44
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

One thing I look forward to is more explanation of Richard's past (ie: fake-Locke's comment about him looking good out of the chains). I'm assuming Richard was originally a slave on the slave ship that came in who was rescued by Jacob.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:51 AM   #45
DataKing
Pro Rookie

A few different comments/notes from my viewing last night:
  • Alan T, I'm right there with you as far as Richard is concerned. Ever since we figured out he's basically immortal, I've had a feeling he came to the island on the Black Rock (either as part of the cargo or part of the crew).
  • There are two reasons why I think the Oceanic Flight 815 that actually arrives in LA is not just a "what if.:
    • As Ronnie mentioned, Hurley is now lucky instead of unlucky. Presumably because "the numbers" never came into his life, but if they didn't, how did he win the lottery?
    • Shannon isn't on the plane. She never got on the plane, which means the two timelines diverged before the plane took off from Sydney.
  • I get the feeling that the reason we see the long, drawn-out bit with Juliet is to set up Sawyer to go get her, dig her up, and bring her back to the temple. If the spring brought Said back to life, Sawyer will expect it to do the same thing for her.
  • The show has started to display, and really work into the plot, one of the biggest issues I had with the Losties' plan to re-set everything last season; despite the hardships they have faced, many of them now lead better lives than they did before the crash. Kate is no longer a fugitive. Jin and Sun's marriage is strong, etc. One could argue that even Charlie was better off. But by the same token, a number of others died that didn't necessarily deserve to.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:07 AM   #46
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

I think, to me, it's clear the spring was muddy because Jacob was dead. MIB is trying to get "home" = the temple. I would not be surprised to see Sayid immortal ala Richard (who I think was saved in the spring as well)
Old 02-03-2010, 10:10 AM   #47
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

I think an interesting bit nobody has brought up was:

Ben - "What are you?" (to MIB as Locke)
MIB as Locke - "Not what, but who"
Old 02-03-2010, 10:10 AM   #48
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
I think, to me, it's clear the spring was muddy because Jacob was dead. MIB is trying to get "home" = the temple. I would not be surprised to see Sayid immortal ala Richard (who I think was saved in the spring as well)

If that is all that there is to it for Sayid, why was it so important that he stay alive? Why did they say they were all in big trouble if he died? That seems to build it up to be far more than simply another Richard type role.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:11 AM   #49
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I'm pissed off that they've introduced yet *another* society living on that damn island that no one ever saw before or knew about.

Weak plot crutch IMO
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:15 AM   #50
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
I'm pissed off that they've introduced yet *another* society living on that damn island that no one ever saw before or knew about.

Weak plot crutch IMO

I don't think it is another society. They are all of the people Ben sent to the Temple when the mercenaries came to the island.

What I don't like about it is the Oriental leader. He seems to be someone of importance or power. Why didn't we know about him already since we've been dealing with the Others for a while?